Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:21 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 753, 754, 755, 756, 757, 758, 759 ... 829  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Auteur

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
nitrium wrote:
Silent Hill: Revelation 3D (2012)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0938330/
I have not played the video games on which this film is supposedly based, but I have seen the 2006 Silent Hill film (that I quite enjoyed). Because I can't remember the details of that film particularly well, I'm not sure if Revelation is an actual sequel to that or not. In any case, unlike the 2006 film whose narrative made sense, I didn't really understand a whole lot of what was happening on the screen here. Basically a mish-mash of supposedly horrific images that strongly resemble things we've seen before in the Hellraiser films. Except not as good. Or as horrific. Or as coherent. Jim Sterling reckons this film works brilliantly as a comedy, but I didn't find anything in it particularly funny. All I saw was just a really bad movie.
3.5/10.

I can tell you that Revelations is not really a sequel to the 2006 film as none of the characters return and I don't believe there was any mention of the events that occured.

Anyways I personally thought Revelations was enjoyable enough, didn't think it was bad at all.

Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:07 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
well clearly Morell changed his mind about Rambo not being sympathetic, as he otherwise wouldn't have improved the changed ending to the film.

Kind or arrogant to say you're opinions of 2 and 3 is not wrong wouldn't you say? :? I assure you my opinion is not wrong either ;) . I don't care if they're jingoistic, I find them very fun.

I think there's plenty of 80s that compared to the 70s films you mentioned.

I took the liberty of removing excess quotes.

I'll grant this much: The Rambo movies are interesting from a sociopolitical perspective. Actually, they are fascinating from that perspective, since they encapsulate so much of the Reagan era in them. I mean, at the end of Rambo III, Rambo single-handedly defeats the entire Russian army. It's something that could only have been made in the 1980s. But being an interesting cultural artifact does not equate with quality. Much like a film such as I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry is interesting from the perspective of Hollywood realizing that gay people exist and have real lives and emotions, it is still a crap movie.

So here's my assignment for you. If you really think the best of the 80s can measure up with the best of the 70s, post a list of 80s films you think really compare. I'll even let you put in stuff like Raging Bull and Raiders of the Lost Ark, which in my opinion aren't "1980s" in the way we think of the decade, but rather the last gasps of the New Hollywood. But you can include them, since they were made during the decade. Post a list; you've legitimately aroused my curiosity.

Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:21 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:
well clearly Morell changed his mind about Rambo not being sympathetic, as he otherwise wouldn't have improved the changed ending to the film.

Kind or arrogant to say you're opinions of 2 and 3 is not wrong wouldn't you say? :? I assure you my opinion is not wrong either ;) . I don't care if they're jingoistic, I find them very fun.

I'll grant this much: The Rambo movies are interesting from a sociopolitical perspective. Actually, they are fascinating from that perspective, since they encapsulate so much of the Reagan era in them. I mean, at the end of Rambo III, Rambo single-handedly defeats the entire Russian army. It's something that could only have been made in the 1980s. But being an interesting cultural artifact does not equate with quality. Much like a film such as I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry is interesting from the perspective of Hollywood realizing that gay people exist and have real lives and emotions, it is still a crap movie.

So here's my assignment for you. If you really think the best of the 80s can measure up with the best of the 70s, post a list of 80s films you think really compare. I'll even let you put in stuff like Raging Bull and Raiders of the Lost Ark, which in my opinion aren't "1980s" in the way we think of the decade, but rather the last gasps of the New Hollywood. But you can include them, since they were made during the decade. Post a list; you've legitimately aroused my curiosity.

Alrighty then:

The Sicilian
Under Fire
No Way Out
Dead Calm
Purple Hearts
Platoon
Born On The Fourth Of July
Don't Cry It's Only Thunder
Wise Guys
Cohen And Tate
The Hit
The Salamander
Prince Of The City
After Hours
Lucas
Mosquito Coast
Clean And Sober
Talk Radio

There actually is an interesting story behind Chuck and Larry, the original script was very different then what it became, it was supposed to be an R-rated drama with very little comedy. I thought it was a decent comedy but to each his own.

Last edited by Vexer on Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:14 pm
Second Unit Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
[Much like a film such as I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry is interesting from the perspective of Hollywood realizing that gay people exist and have real lives and emotions, it is still a crap movie.

Frankly if I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry is Hollywood realizing I exist, I *really* wish they would do so less often. Not just crappy, bur really problematic in how it presents gay people.
-Jeremy

Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:31 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

thered47 wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
[Much like a film such as I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry is interesting from the perspective of Hollywood realizing that gay people exist and have real lives and emotions, it is still a crap movie.

Frankly if I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry is Hollywood realizing I exist, I *really* wish they would do so less often. Not just crappy, bur really problematic in how it presents gay people.
-Jeremy

Personally, I didn't find it nearly as problematic as say "Cruising" or "She Hate Me".

Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:35 pm
Director

thered47 wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

-Jeremy

I couldn't finish it. The problematic presentation is only some part of it, but I sat stone-faced one-third of the way through before deciding to do something else.

As for Close Encounters of the Third Kind, my second favorite Spielberg after Schindler's List. I watched it three times in my teen, and one of them is the version that shows the mothership's interior. It can be watched as a separate clip, but I wouldn't recommend seeing it in the context of the movie. The whole ending stretch is infused with so much feeling of awe in the unknown, and it feels slightly deflating when we cut to that insides shot, and it doesn't serve any narrative or pacing purpose other than to show the special effects.

Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:54 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
nitrium wrote:
I have not played the video games on which this film is supposedly based, but I have seen the 2006 Silent Hill film (that I quite enjoyed). Because I can't remember the details of that film particularly well, I'm not sure if Revelation is an actual sequel to that or not. In any case, unlike the 2006 film whose narrative made sense, I didn't really understand a whole lot of what was happening on the screen here. Basically a mish-mash of supposedly horrific images that strongly resemble things we've seen before in the Hellraiser films. Except not as good. Or as horrific. Or as coherent. Jim Sterling reckons this film works brilliantly as a comedy, but I didn't find anything in it particularly funny. All I saw was just a really bad movie.
3.5/10.

I can tell you that Revelations is not really a sequel to the 2006 film as none of the characters return and I don't believe there was any mention of the events that occured.
Anyways I personally thought Revelations was enjoyable enough, didn't think it was bad at all.

Yes, but did you enjoy it as a horror or a comedy?

Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:28 am
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
Vexer wrote:
nitrium wrote:
3.5/10.

Yes, but did you enjoy it as a horror or a comedy?
I enjoyed it as horror, didn't really laugh at anything in the film.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:32 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:

Sean Bean, Deborah Kara Unger and Radha Mitchell were in the first movie and are playing the same characters.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:09 am
Second Unit Director

Concerning the movies of the 1980ies: Without wanting to derail the thread any further, please indulge my slightly contrarian opinion. If there's a great wave of nostalgia about the movies of that decade, it has mostly passed by me. (Apart from Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone's increasingly desperate attempts to stay relevant by making the same kind of action movies they've made since the 1980ies.) On the contrary, I think that 1980ies are often unfairly maligned. Many people tend to compare them unfavourably to the 1970ies and compare the likes of 'The Godfather' or 'Chinatown', which they consider to be exemplary for the 70ies, to stuff like 'Red Dawn' or 'First Blood, Part 2', which they claim to be representative for the 80ies. That's comparing apples to oranges. It's just that we tend to forget about stuff like 'Herbie Rides Again' (the 1974 sequel to 'The Love Bug' and the 10th highest grossing movie of the year in the U.S. at ca. $ 38 mio. For reference: In '74, 'Chinatown' was the 14th highest grossing movie in the U.S. at roughly $ 29 mio. The Top #1 and #2 - 'Blazing Saddles' and 'The Towering Inferno' - each made twice as much as 'The Godfather: Part 2' at #5.) Also, cinematic trends and styles don't really correspond to decades, so it doesn't make much sense to compare one decade to another. Modern blockbuster cinema (programming, marketing, merchandising), with which the 80ies are often associated, started much with movies such as 'The Exorcist', 'Jaws' and 'Star Wars'.

Anyway, the last movie I watched was an 80ies film as well:

Lair of the White Worm (1988)
A gothic horror movie based on a story by Bram Stoker filtered through the bizarre imagination of British maverick director Ken Russell. A Scottish archeologist finds a strange reptilian skull and stumbles upon the local legend of a virgin devouring giant worm, who was killed by a brave knight. Together with the ancestor of the knight (a very young Hugh Grant) he encounters a weird snake cult led by a terrifically overacting snake-vampire-lady. Cue overwrought symbolism and a grotesque mix of sexual and religious imagery. Aren't they just lucky that the Scotsman didn't forget to pack his bagpipes so they can be used for snake-charming a portly policeman-turned-snake-vampire? 'Lair of the White Worm' can't be accused of being boring, that's for sure. It even occasionally works as an old fashioned horror movie. And when it doesn't work, it's actually quite funny. This is certainly not a great movie or even a good one and there are numerous problems, but I found it quite watchable. 5/10

Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:00 am
Critic

Unke wrote:
Modern blockbuster cinema (programming, marketing, merchandising), with which the 80ies are often associated, started much with movies such as 'The Exorcist', 'Jaws' and 'Star Wars'.

But that's precisely the issue! You just named three great to nearly great movies. It was the 80s that decided that big blockbusters had to be puerile, with Top Gun setting the mold. Jaws vs. Top Gun...that's my argument in a nutshell

Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:10 am
Director

Like Unke said, each decade has to its shares of bad and good blockbusters, depending which one you want to pick out. Raiders of the Lost Ark, E.T., Ghostbusters, and Back to the Future are the highest-grossing movies of their respective years. In contrast, the 70's also has stuff like Love Story and Billy Jack as well.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:50 am
Auteur

JamesKunz wrote:
Unke wrote:
Modern blockbuster cinema (programming, marketing, merchandising), with which the 80ies are often associated, started much with movies such as 'The Exorcist', 'Jaws' and 'Star Wars'.

But that's precisely the issue! You just named three great to nearly great movies. It was the 80s that decided that big blockbusters had to be puerile, with Top Gun setting the mold. Jaws vs. Top Gun...that's my argument in a nutshell

The 70s had their fair share of "puerile" blockbusters(Laserblast anyone? to think Leonard Maltin actually gave it a good review)

Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:27 pm
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
I would bet that nostalgia for any given time period has something to do with the generation that came of age during that period coming into its time of influence during this one. Right now, '80s kids are the new leaders.

Ken beat me to it again!

Last film I saw in theaters was Captain America: The Winter Soldier, which was a great kickoff to the summer season. My one major gripe was that it wasn't ideal for 3D (the showing wasn't advertised as 3D online, but I figured hell, we're already here, let's just see it). Conversions have gotten much better (Alice in Wonderland was the one that turned me off 3D in general, but I have seen a few in 3D since that I think would be worth it) but the action scenes were a little too blurry in places, other than that the 3D was fine. I will want to see it again in 2D (I'll bet my spouse will want to buy it, if not see it in theaters again) to see the action scenes a little better, but for me this is probably the best plot of any of the Marvel movies so far.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:55 pm
Second Unit Director

Thief12 wrote:
Interesting discussion. And although I agree to a certain extent with what Ken said about nostalgia being a given for every generation, and how the "80's kids are the new leaders", I do think that the 80's have left a stronger aesthetic fingerprint in society in general than other decades, like well, the 90's. I think that, for better or worse, whether to praise them or criticize them, most people remember films like the one you all have mentioned than a lot of films that came during the 90's. Similarly, for better or worse, to praise or criticize, I think most people remember bands like Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Stryper, Van Halen, Metallica, Journey, Poison, Motley Crue, etc. for their music, impact, and influence during the 80's, than they do 90's bands like Soul Asylum, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, etc. The 80's were a decade of establishment for fashion, music, films, and television, whereas the 90's were more of a fight against those establishments or those trends, which in turn ends up leaving less "media memories". At least that's how I see it.

Funny you didn't mention Nirvana. Though not really, since it doesn't support your point. The still active acts like Nine Inch Nails and Pearl Jam still have impact and are remembered, too. Let's not forget hip hop, which utterly exploded in the 90's: Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Notorious B.I.G., Wu Tang Clan, Missy Elliott, Mary J. Blige, etc. are still influential and active in the music scene. I love 90's music myself (not STP though, they were mere copycats of better bands IMO) but you're right that the 80's generally had a more distinct style. For instance, you always can tell an 80's movie or TV show by the level of synth on the soundtrack. So glad that trend died. Though again, gangsta rap I always associate with the 90's.

And personally, I don't remember Stryper FWIW. Def Leppard, Motley Crue, and Poison more as punchlines to be honest, though the other 80's bands you mentioned are good examples (though Van Halen I came out in the late '70s). U2 and R.E.M. I'd have put up there as well.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:09 pm
Director

Day for Night: I don't believe I'd seen this since the 1970's and didn't remember the details, which is good because I got to enjoy it all over again. Nicely acted top to bottom. I liked Nathalie Baye and David Markham every bit as much as Cortese, who got an Oscar nomination, and I'm fond of Nike Arrighi, who plays Odile. And Jaqueline Bisset and Jean-Pierre Aumont are just charming, as are the cats. If you enjoy seeing how the magician does his tricks, the movie's a delight, either the second or third best movie I've seen about making movies (8 1/2 is about not making a movie). #1 of course is Singin' in the Rain" (9 of 10 for Day for Night.)

Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:16 pm
Cinematographer

Syd Henderson wrote:
Day for Night: I don't believe I'd seen this since the 1970's and didn't remember the details, which is good because I got to enjoy it all over again. Nicely acted top to bottom. I liked Nathalie Baye and David Markham every bit as much as Cortese, who got an Oscar nomination, and I'm fond of Nike Arrighi, who plays Odile. And Jaqueline Bisset and Jean-Pierre Aumont are just charming, as are the cats. If you enjoy seeing how the magician does his tricks, the movie's a delight, either the second or third best movie I've seen about making movies (8 1/2 is about not making a movie). #1 of course is Singin' in the Rain" (9 of 10 for Day for Night.)

I watched this a few months ago and felt similarly. By all indications the crew is making what's likely going to be a terrible movie, but the affection Truffaut seems to have for the entire process, warts and all, is infectious.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:29 pm
Assistant Director

5 Centimeters Per Second (2007)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0983213/
Animated masterpiece about first love, separation, unrequited love and estrangement. No, this one is not exactly an upper. The film is bar none the most impressive 2D animated film I have ever seen. The backdrops, particularly, I suspect were made by drawing over photos, and the result is simply stunning. I would go as far to say this is a must see for not only fans of Japanese animation, but lovers of fine animation in general. The drama isn't half bad either.
9/10.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:11 pm
Producer

The 80s is the only decade i'd describe as an actual genre all of its own.

Music, we all know an 80s power ballad or electro beat

Movies, action-sci fi, cop buddy

Fashion, white pants on men, the mullet haircut.

To varying degrees any decade spawns its own -isms.

But the 80s were extra strength expressive

Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:37 pm
Producer

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Good point, chocco. Raging Bull is most defo a 70s film. Just like Total Recall is an 80s one.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:41 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 753, 754, 755, 756, 757, 758, 759 ... 829  Next