Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:08 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 752, 753, 754, 755, 756, 757, 758 ... 818  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Author Message
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7478
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Ken wrote:
I would bet that nostalgia for any given time period has something to do with the generation that came of age during that period coming into its time of influence during this one. Right now, '80s kids are the new leaders.


Doesn't hold. 80s nostalgia began early and kept coming. Hell, The Wedding Singer came out in 1998. Proportionally, we should have seen a wave of 90s nostalgia movies by now. But we haven't

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:58 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
It's close. Verrry close. You heard it here first.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:19 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7478
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Ken wrote:
It's close. Verrry close. You heard it here first.


Maybe The To-Do List was the tip of the nostalgia-90s iceberg!

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:24 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1429
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
I'm a '90 foreign kid who kind of loves the 80's American cinema, although admittedly there is almost no movie that gives the exhilarated feeling that there is some paradigm-shifting stuff going on, a feeling quite frequent during the better 70s. But as mentioned recently, I think it's a great decade, maybe even the best imo, for mainstream affairs (blockbuster, comedy, etc). So yeah, not a deep decade, but very, very entertaining.


Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:26 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1585
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
JamesKunz wrote:
Ken wrote:
I would bet that nostalgia for any given time period has something to do with the generation that came of age during that period coming into its time of influence during this one. Right now, '80s kids are the new leaders.


Doesn't hold. 80s nostalgia began early and kept coming. Hell, The Wedding Singer came out in 1998. Proportionally, we should have seen a wave of 90s nostalgia movies by now. But we haven't


That part is true. 80s nostalgia has outlasted 70s nostalgia. Hell, 60s nostalgia bit the dust pretty quickly once people remembered Vietnam,

I was a little over a year old when the 80s began and 11 when they came to a close. I don't really look on them with rose colored glasses. I was a kid in that era. But I see stuff like The Wedding SInger which tends to overlook much of the ugliness of that era.

The 90s I always saw as a sort of cross between the lost generation 1920s and the inward looking 1970s. Those of us who grew up in that decade weren't growing up in the shadow of Vietnam like our parents or with war, terrorism and economic decay in the background as did those wo grew up in the 2000s. But there always seemed to be a sense that things were going to erupt in chaos at any moment and it was best to embrace the chaos as much as possible.

I'm reminded of an observation Richard Linklater once made about how many times people seemed to be putting the 70s down in comparison to the sixties. I wonder if in some ways the same thing is happening now with the 80s vs the 90s.

Last year I wrote a script for a movie titled "Come As You Are". Set in 1997 on June 8, it follows a group of teens at a graduation party and the night afterward. Doing some rewrites before I turn to crowd-funding I do not mean it as a nostalgia exercise. But then, Linklater never intended Dazed And Confused as one either.

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:35 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1429
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
thered47 wrote:
Someone on twitter asked what peoples favorite films were from the year that they were born. I looked up 1983 on imdb and couldn't help but notice that the only film on there that didn't look completely awful was Return of the Jedi. Not that this proves anything about the 80's but damn was I born during a pretty desolate year for cinema.
-Jeremy


I looked up the year and yeah, not a great one, although my favorite from that year is A Christmas Story. There are two other films I haven't watched yet that could be a contender: The King of Comedy, The Right Stuff, and Sans Soleil. Other than that I'm stumped.


Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:40 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2116
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
The Right Stuff was the best film to come out that year, and stands up to rewatches. (It helps that I'm a space nut.) The Best Picture winner, Terms of Endearment, is about the only Best Picture winner I actively hate. There are some I don't care for, or am indifferent to, but that one actually made me angry.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:58 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3735
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
peng wrote:
thered47 wrote:
Someone on twitter asked what peoples favorite films were from the year that they were born. I looked up 1983 on imdb and couldn't help but notice that the only film on there that didn't look completely awful was Return of the Jedi. Not that this proves anything about the 80's but damn was I born during a pretty desolate year for cinema.
-Jeremy


I looked up the year and yeah, not a great one, although my favorite from that year is A Christmas Story. There are two other films I haven't watched yet that could be a contender: The King of Comedy, The Right Stuff, and Sans Soleil. Other than that I'm stumped.

Sudden Impact is one of my favorites from 83.

Cannot stand Christmas Story, now there's an 80s film that's insanely overrated, same with Hoosiers.


Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:21 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1746
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Vexer wrote:
I prefered the film adaption better, in the book Rambo killed so many of his pursuers that I had a hard time finding him sympatetic, and I found the ending awfully weak as well. The author actually said he prefered the ending to the film.

Disagree on Rambo 2 and 3, Roadhouse, Beverly Hills Cop, Batman, those films I find pretty enjoyable. Caddyshack is kind of eh, I liked the sequel better, same with Highlander. The rest of the films I find forgettable, but I don't outright hate any of them.

I disagree that the 70s "win every time", I just personally prefer the 80s, course maybe I like that decade better then you because I didn't grow up during that period, so i'm able to look at those films in a different light.

Didn't care for Strangers Than Paradise as i'm not really a Jarmusch fan. Also didn't care for Last Temptation, but I otherwise agree with your list.



Here's the deal; Rambo is not meant to be sympathetic. That is what David Morrell was aiming for when he wrote the novel. Like I said, First Blood the film isn't bad, but it waters down the story, which is a shame because there's a great deal of relevant social commentary there. Rambo 2 and 3 are jingoistic horseshit, right-wing wet dreams and all around terrible. You may think I am wrong, but I assure you I am not.

Batman is a film that I would put in the mediocre category. It's all style but no substance. Not terrible, but not truly good either. I feel this way about a lot of Tim Burton's films. Road House is a shitpile. But I will grant you this: It is one of the most entertaining, unintentionally funny, glorious shitpiles ever made. It is almost classic in its badness, and it's a rare thing: a terrible movie that is incredibly rewatchable.

Yet in terms of total quality, the 70s still win. I challenge you to line the best films of the 1970s up against the best films of the 1980s. How many 80s films truly compare to The Godfather, Dog Day Afternoon, Nashville, The French Connection...you get the idea.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:27 am
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7478
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Relevantly, I just watched a 70s and an 80s movie after a bit of a hiatus from movies. Here's what I got:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) ***1/2

Somehow I had never seen this. My brother and I watched half of it with a babysitter maybe 20 years ago but found it boring and never went back to it. Now I did. Really quite a good movie. Loved the music and the legitimate sense of wonder. A lot of wonderful directorial choices from Spielberg, of whom this movie is a perfect representation.

Death Wish 3 (1985) *1/2

I rarely see a movie in a franchise out of order, but Death Wish 3 has cult status and is on instant, so I decided to give it a go. It's...something all right. It makes the original film seem positively subtle, with Charles Bronson literally machine-gunning dozens of bad guys to death and blasting the rest of them away with a high caliber pistol. It perfectly embodies the switch from 70s grittiness to 80s fatuousness, and I will licence that thought as a potential thesis to any film student who wishes to expound at length upon it. Worth a watch if you want to chuckle at it, but a bad, bad film.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:37 am
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:35 pm
Posts: 802
Location: Puerto Rico
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Interesting discussion. And although I agree to a certain extent with what Ken said about nostalgia being a given for every generation, and how the "80's kids are the new leaders", I do think that the 80's have left a stronger aesthetic fingerprint in society in general than other decades, like well, the 90's. I think that, for better or worse, whether to praise them or criticize them, most people remember films like the one you all have mentioned than a lot of films that came during the 90's. Similarly, for better or worse, to praise or criticize, I think most people remember bands like Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Stryper, Van Halen, Metallica, Journey, Poison, Motley Crue, etc. for their music, impact, and influence during the 80's, than they do 90's bands like Soul Asylum, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, etc. The 80's were a decade of establishment for fashion, music, films, and television, whereas the 90's were more of a fight against those establishments or those trends, which in turn ends up leaving less "media memories". At least that's how I see it.

_________________
"Get busy living, or get busy dying"

Visit my site: Thief12 profile


Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:24 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:41 pm
Posts: 653
Location: The Desert
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Jeff Wilder wrote:
I kinda take an in-between view on the 80s, as far as cinematic decades go that I've been alive in. They weren't on the level of the 70s or the 90s, which were probably the two greatest eras in post WWII cinematic history. But I don't quite see them as a trash heap. Yeah, there was a large amount of crud released in that era and I agree 100% with Kunz's view on the 1989 Oscar nominees (Where the hell were Do The Right Thing, Drugstore Cowboy and Casualties of War?). True the 80s were the decade in which the roots of the mindless blockbuster were planted. It wasn't a decade of sustained accomplishment like the one that preceded it or the one that followed.

On the other hand, many of the truly good blockbusters of that era (Back To The Future, Terminator, Aliens, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Die Hard) hold up fairly well. In addition, there were also many pretty good iconic films in that era (Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Clue, Fast Times At Ridgemont High, The Blues Brothers) as well as under the radar ones (Do The Right Thing, Platoon, Drugstore Cowboy, Blue Velvet, Raising Arizona, Sex Lies And Videotape) and a few future classics unheralded at the time (The Thing, Blade Runner).


Nice post, and I'm in agreement with what you say here. While it would be tough to argue that, collectively, the '80s comes close to equaling the '70s and '90s, there's still a wealth of quality there. Especially in the tail end of the decade, when you see the emergence of some of the more "important" filmmakers of the next quarter century. Miyazaki was just starting to find his groove; My Neighbor Totoro came out in 1988, along with Isao Takahata's equally great Grave of the Fireflies. The Coens and Jim Jarmusch were starting to ramp up too, the first wave of many new filmmakers that would really let loose in '90s independent cinema. Just more on a personal level, some of the films I cherish the most came out during that stretch of time. Looking back at the favorite films list I posted here earlier this year, 5 films from my top 10 came out in the '80s: Stop Making Sense, Totoro, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Mystery Train and Wings of Desire. Maybe the '80s isn't entirely deserving of a critical reevaluation, but I've found the rewards from that decade just as rich, if not more so, than the ones surrounding it.

_________________
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Letterboxd Profile


Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:31 am
Profile WWW
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7478
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Blonde Almond wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:
I kinda take an in-between view on the 80s, as far as cinematic decades go that I've been alive in. They weren't on the level of the 70s or the 90s, which were probably the two greatest eras in post WWII cinematic history. But I don't quite see them as a trash heap. Yeah, there was a large amount of crud released in that era and I agree 100% with Kunz's view on the 1989 Oscar nominees (Where the hell were Do The Right Thing, Drugstore Cowboy and Casualties of War?). True the 80s were the decade in which the roots of the mindless blockbuster were planted. It wasn't a decade of sustained accomplishment like the one that preceded it or the one that followed.

On the other hand, many of the truly good blockbusters of that era (Back To The Future, Terminator, Aliens, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Die Hard) hold up fairly well. In addition, there were also many pretty good iconic films in that era (Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Clue, Fast Times At Ridgemont High, The Blues Brothers) as well as under the radar ones (Do The Right Thing, Platoon, Drugstore Cowboy, Blue Velvet, Raising Arizona, Sex Lies And Videotape) and a few future classics unheralded at the time (The Thing, Blade Runner).


Nice post, and I'm in agreement with what you say here. While it would be tough to argue that, collectively, the '80s comes close to equaling the '70s and '90s, there's still a wealth of quality there. Especially in the tail end of the decade, when you see the emergence of some of the more "important" filmmakers of the next quarter century. Miyazaki was just starting to find his groove; My Neighbor Totoro came out in 1988, along with Isao Takahata's equally great Grave of the Fireflies. The Coens and Jim Jarmusch were starting to ramp up too, the first wave of many new filmmakers that would really let loose in '90s independent cinema. Just more on a personal level, some of the films I cherish the most came out during that stretch of time. Looking back at the favorite films list I posted here earlier this year, 5 films from my top 10 came out in the '80s: Stop Making Sense, Totoro, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Mystery Train and Wings of Desire. Maybe the '80s isn't entirely deserving of a critical reevaluation, but I've found the rewards from that decade just as rich, if not more so, than the ones surrounding it.


I made sure in my initial post on the matter to stress American films, because a lot of great stuff was coming in from the rest of the world. Au Revoir Les Enfants, which is an absolutely masterpiece, was released in 1987, and Grave of the Fireflies too (both of which I gave **** to) but American cinema was at a low ebb. Particularly in the latter half of the decade, when all the 70sness had worn away

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:39 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3735
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
JamesKunz wrote:
Relevantly, I just watched a 70s and an 80s movie after a bit of a hiatus from movies. Here's what I got:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) ***1/2

Somehow I had never seen this. My brother and I watched half of it with a babysitter maybe 20 years ago but found it boring and never went back to it. Now I did. Really quite a good movie. Loved the music and the legitimate sense of wonder. A lot of wonderful directorial choices from Spielberg, of whom this movie is a perfect representation.

Death Wish 3 (1985) *1/2

I rarely see a movie in a franchise out of order, but Death Wish 3 has cult status and is on instant, so I decided to give it a go. It's...something all right. It makes the original film seem positively subtle, with Charles Bronson literally machine-gunning dozens of bad guys to death and blasting the rest of them away with a high caliber pistol. It perfectly embodies the switch from 70s grittiness to 80s fatuousness, and I will licence that thought as a potential thesis to any film student who wishes to expound at length upon it. Worth a watch if you want to chuckle at it, but a bad, bad film.

Death Wish 3 is a classic for me, hilariously entertaining all the way through.


Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:43 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3735
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I prefered the film adaption better, in the book Rambo killed so many of his pursuers that I had a hard time finding him sympatetic, and I found the ending awfully weak as well. The author actually said he prefered the ending to the film.

Disagree on Rambo 2 and 3, Roadhouse, Beverly Hills Cop, Batman, those films I find pretty enjoyable. Caddyshack is kind of eh, I liked the sequel better, same with Highlander. The rest of the films I find forgettable, but I don't outright hate any of them.

I disagree that the 70s "win every time", I just personally prefer the 80s, course maybe I like that decade better then you because I didn't grow up during that period, so i'm able to look at those films in a different light.

Didn't care for Strangers Than Paradise as i'm not really a Jarmusch fan. Also didn't care for Last Temptation, but I otherwise agree with your list.



Here's the deal; Rambo is not meant to be sympathetic. That is what David Morrell was aiming for when he wrote the novel. Like I said, First Blood the film isn't bad, but it waters down the story, which is a shame because there's a great deal of relevant social commentary there. Rambo 2 and 3 are jingoistic horseshit, right-wing wet dreams and all around terrible. You may think I am wrong, but I assure you I am not.

Batman is a film that I would put in the mediocre category. It's all style but no substance. Not terrible, but not truly good either. I feel this way about a lot of Tim Burton's films. Road House is a shitpile. But I will grant you this: It is one of the most entertaining, unintentionally funny, glorious shitpiles ever made. It is almost classic in its badness, and it's a rare thing: a terrible movie that is incredibly rewatchable.

Yet in terms of total quality, the 70s still win. I challenge you to line the best films of the 1970s up against the best films of the 1980s. How many 80s films truly compare to The Godfather, Dog Day Afternoon, Nashville, The French Connection...you get the idea.
well clearly Morell changed his mind about Rambo not being "sympathetic", as he otherwise wouldn't have improved the changed ending to the film.

Kind or arrogant to say you're opinions of 2 and 3 is not "wrong" wouldn't you say? :? I assure you my opinion is not "wrong" either ;) . I don't care if they're "jingoistic", I find them very fun.

I find Road House entertaining and while it does have some WTF moments, I wouldn't call it a "shitpile" by any means. For me a "shitpile" is something truly wretched like say "Mac And Me"

I think there's plenty of 80s that compared to the 70s films you mentioned.


Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:47 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
JamesKunz wrote:
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) ***1/2

Somehow I had never seen this. My brother and I watched half of it with a babysitter maybe 20 years ago but found it boring and never went back to it. Now I did. Really quite a good movie. Loved the music and the legitimate sense of wonder. A lot of wonderful directorial choices from Spielberg, of whom this movie is a perfect representation.

Which cut did you watch? I've got to the deluxe set with three versions in it, but I think I've only ever watched the theatrical cut. Anyway, yeah, lovely movie.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:52 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7478
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Ken wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) ***1/2

Somehow I had never seen this. My brother and I watched half of it with a babysitter maybe 20 years ago but found it boring and never went back to it. Now I did. Really quite a good movie. Loved the music and the legitimate sense of wonder. A lot of wonderful directorial choices from Spielberg, of whom this movie is a perfect representation.

Which cut did you watch? I've got to the deluxe set with three versions in it, but I think I've only ever watched the theatrical cut. Anyway, yeah, lovely movie.


The 137 minute one -- yes to the Cotopaxi in the desert, no to the interior of the mother ship.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:31 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:38 pm
Posts: 261
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
JamesKunz wrote:
Ken wrote:
I would bet that nostalgia for any given time period has something to do with the generation that came of age during that period coming into its time of influence during this one. Right now, '80s kids are the new leaders.


Doesn't hold. 80s nostalgia began early and kept coming. Hell, The Wedding Singer came out in 1998. Proportionally, we should have seen a wave of 90s nostalgia movies by now. But we haven't


Was there anything in the 90's that was stylistically different from the 00's in regards to music, fashion, art, or film? The 80's, for whatever reason, have some distinct styles in regards to clothing and particularly music. Movies were different too. I would be hard pressed to point to any concrete differences in subject matter between 90's and 00's, while the 80's, while perhaps hardly the greatest, was at least *different*.
-Jeremy

_________________
My Blog: Queering the Closet


Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:25 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1800
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Ken wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) ***1/2

Somehow I had never seen this. My brother and I watched half of it with a babysitter maybe 20 years ago but found it boring and never went back to it. Now I did. Really quite a good movie. Loved the music and the legitimate sense of wonder. A lot of wonderful directorial choices from Spielberg, of whom this movie is a perfect representation.

Which cut did you watch? I've got to the deluxe set with three versions in it, but I think I've only ever watched the theatrical cut. Anyway, yeah, lovely movie.


137 director's cut is the only one I've seen as well. The desert scene is cool. Gotta check out that interior mothership one of these days though.


Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:07 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 1023
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Silent Hill: Revelation 3D (2012)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0938330/
I have not played the video games on which this film is supposedly based, but I have seen the 2006 Silent Hill film (that I quite enjoyed). Because I can't remember the details of that film particularly well, I'm not sure if Revelation is an actual sequel to that or not. In any case, unlike the 2006 film whose narrative made sense, I didn't really understand a whole lot of what was happening on the screen here. Basically a mish-mash of supposedly horrific images that strongly resemble things we've seen before in the Hellraiser films. Except not as good. Or as horrific. Or as coherent. Jim Sterling reckons this film works brilliantly as a comedy, but I didn't find anything in it particularly funny. All I saw was just a really bad movie.
3.5/10.


Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:20 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 752, 753, 754, 755, 756, 757, 758 ... 818  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KWRoss and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr