Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:36 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 751, 752, 753, 754, 755, 756, 757 ... 820  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Assistant Director

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Quote:
Most of the movies coming out in the next few months that have people here shitting their britches in excitement are destined for those same landfills

Yes, yes. Though the mid-80s nostalgia is so much more powerful than only what 30 years can do to brighten The Goonies and whatever else. There seems to be a disproportionate reverence for those Reagan years. I'll wait to see what today's kids are nostalgic for before committing to any crisis.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:21 pm
Director

Enemy (2013)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2316411/
Jake Gyllenhaal discovers he has an EXACT lookalike in this abstract Lynchian film from director Denis Villeneuve (Incendies and Prisoners). Unfortunately, I can't really say a whole lot about it because, to be honest, I didn't really "get" it. I can tell you that it's slow moving and confusing. Apparently it's based on a book, so maybe reading that would be helpful.
5/10 at this point (but I might up the score if I knew what the fuck the film is supposed to be about, which will undoubtedly require a second viewing).

Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:40 pm
Producer

Mark

Quote:
The word "cult" tends to lend some cachet that some movies deserve, Tremors does not. But who am I to say that Tremors doesn't deserve a cult? All sorts of this so-called nostalgic gash has a cult. Sometimes the nostalgic gash is even NotHughGrant's wife's favorite movie.

As shit as Tremors may or may not be, and assuming that 'cult' isn't strictly a linear dynamic, it does have an element of cultishness about it.

For that matter, a lot of 80s landfill does. Lethal Weapon, Tango and Cash, Big, etc - ignoring arguments about quality, the 80s was a bit of a cult crapping machine.

And thus its landfill is late night telly, whereas today's filler will be erased from history like the despised Uncle of a North Korean despot

Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:38 pm
Producer

Ken
Quote:
And Tremors is SO right for its time and place. It's like a plate of greasy food after a night on the town. You're not looking to be challenged--you're just looking for something that really hits the spot. And that also goes for a truckload of beloved movies that have a much better reputation than this one. Jurassic Park, anyone?

Yeah. I agree.

Although, I actually think Jurassic Park is more than a nostalgic or ironic look at a past film of the moment flavour. I mean, it WAS that, but not just that

Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:49 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:
Technically it was two sequels, the fourth film was a prequel(and not a particularly good one at that)

Moses v the Worms?

Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:52 pm
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Technically it was two sequels, the fourth film was a prequel(and not a particularly good one at that)

Moses v the Worms?

Tremors 4: The Legend Begins, takes place in the old west.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:24 pm
Director

Last Days of Disco

Good movie, if a little irritating. Many indies get bogged down with miserable characters being miserable. Some, like Disco, is more about fatuous characters being fatuous. Though painful to watch at times, there's a hell of a lot of truth to this movie. Released in 1998 and depicting the early 80s, this movie captures the yuppy mentality that has only gotten worse and worse in the time leading up to the present day. I largely sympathize with the club owner who gets arrested in the end. At least he gets to say "take these yuppie scum out of my club." This movie shows how the superficial greed of yuppie-ism is really a social thing at its heart. Social insecurity, sexual competition, and fear of being alone is what propels these characters, more than a genuine desire for money. And this theme is brilliantly drawn out and feels like a more realistic version of the Wolf of Wall Street farce. Disco is about things I see every day. Stillman sure knows his subject.

The other theme, of the end of the popularity of disco, feels a little awkwardly developed and I'm not sure how it fits in with the overall theme. Doesn't matter. This is a movie that could be mistaken for a girlier kind of hipster appeal, but it's a really great social commentary. And a depressing one.

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:19 am
Critic

Mark III wrote:
Quote:
Most of the movies coming out in the next few months that have people here shitting their britches in excitement are destined for those same landfills

Yes, yes. Though the mid-80s nostalgia is so much more powerful than only what 30 years can do to brighten The Goonies and whatever else. There seems to be a disproportionate reverence for those Reagan years. I'll wait to see what today's kids are nostalgic for before committing to any crisis.

The two decades Americans are far and away the most nostalgic for are the 50s and the 80s. Makes me wonder if deep down Americans like a Republican in the White House

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:44 am
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Mark III wrote:
Quote:

The two decades Americans are far and away the most nostalgic for are the 50s and the 80s. Makes me wonder if deep down Americans like a Republican in the White House

I don't understand why the 50's hold more nostalgia to Americans than the 40's or 60's? I'm GUESSING you mean more evident in films than Politics, unless you mean the two go hand in hand? The Reagan retro thing I hope to understand is some capacity; it was an ordinary decade for films, politics and especially music.

I don’t understand the 50’s reference.

Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:40 am
Critic

wisey wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

I don't understand why the 50's hold more nostalgia to Americans than the 40's or 60's? I'm GUESSING you mean more evident in films than Politics, unless you mean the two go hand in hand? The Reagan retro thing I hope to understand is some capacity; it was an ordinary decade for films, politics and especially music.

I don’t understand the 50’s reference.

I don't endorse it, but people love themselves some 50s. Check it out:

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2 ... -nostalgia

Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:58 am
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Mark III wrote:
Quote:

If you're interested, I'd suggest reading a book by David Sirota called Back to Our Future. He goes into great detail about the whole nostalgia phenomenon.

As for me, I don't understand the nostalgia surrounding a lot of 80s films. In my opinion, the 1980s is the worst decade in the history of American cinema, and a lot of the movies considered nostalgic classics - Top Gun, The Goonies, Red Dawn, Rambo, etc. - were unbelievably shitty. But we do tend to look at the past with rose-colored glasses.

Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:09 am
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Last Days of Disco

Good movie, if a little irritating. Many indies get bogged down with miserable characters being miserable. Some, like Disco, is more about fatuous characters being fatuous. Though painful to watch at times, there's a hell of a lot of truth to this movie. Released in 1998 and depicting the early 80s, this movie captures the yuppy mentality that has only gotten worse and worse in the time leading up to the present day. I largely sympathize with the club owner who gets arrested in the end. At least he gets to say "take these yuppie scum out of my club." This movie shows how the superficial greed of yuppie-ism is really a social thing at its heart. Social insecurity, sexual competition, and fear of being alone is what propels these characters, more than a genuine desire for money. And this theme is brilliantly drawn out and feels like a more realistic version of the Wolf of Wall Street farce. Disco is about things I see every day. Stillman sure knows his subject.

The other theme, of the end of the popularity of disco, feels a little awkwardly developed and I'm not sure how it fits in with the overall theme. Doesn't matter. This is a movie that could be mistaken for a girlier kind of hipster appeal, but it's a really great social commentary. And a depressing one.

Agree with, even like everything you've said in bold above, (apart from the ridiculous, The Wolf of Wall Street comparison) but don't think the film has a depressing social commentary. It's just a good time film with excellent dialogue that get's taken way more seriously than the director intended.

With all the brilliant dialogue, exhibit A: Jeff: There is something depressing about it, and it's not really about dogs. Except for some superficial bow-wow stuff at the start, the dogs all represent human types, which is where it gets into real trouble. Lady, the ostensible protagonist, is a fluffy blond Cocker Spaniel with absolutely nothing on her brain. She's great-looking, but - let's be honest - incredibly insipid. Tramp, the love interest, is a smarmy braggart of the most obnoxious kind - an oily jailbird out for a piece of tail, or... whatever he can get.

Charlotte : Oh, come on.

Josh Neff: No, he's a self-confessed chicken thief, and all-around sleazeball. What's the function of a film of this kind? Essentially as a primer on love and marriage directed at very young people, imprinting on their little psyches the idea that smooth-talking delinquents recently escaped from the local pound are a good match for nice girls from sheltered homes. When in ten years the icky human version of Tramp shows up around the house, their hormones will be racing and no one will understand why. Films like this program women to adore jerks
)

there's so much cheesy stuff, particularly from Kate Beckinsale's character (Charlotte) : Anything I did that was wrong, I apologize for. But anything I did that was not wrong, I don't apologize for.

It kind of reminds me of Starship Troopers in it's own way. A film that can be loved by itself, should never be taken seriously, yet has a comical angle that winks at so many other "serious" films.

Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:31 am
Second Unit Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:

As for me, I don't understand the nostalgia surrounding a lot of 80s films. In my opinion, the 1980s is the worst decade in the history of American cinema, and a lot of the movies considered nostalgic classics - Top Gun, The Goonies, Red Dawn, Rambo, etc. - were unbelievably shitty. But we do tend to look at the past with rose-colored glasses.

I don't think nostalgia means something positive, not for the films made in the 1980's anyway. Agree it was the worst decade in film history, (not that I know a shitload about the films made in the 20's) with the 00's coming a very close second.

Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:00 pm
Critic

Sexual Chocolate wrote:

I agree with you ONE HUNDRED percent. The 80s was a dire, dire moment in American cinema. One of those awful, bloated times desperately in need of renaissance (which it thankfully got in the 90s, one of American cinema's finest hours.) I mean, just look at the Best Picture nominees from 1989. There's not one I would even give *** stars to.

The part that really galls me is that non one -- NO ONE -- looks with rose-colored classes at the similarly shitty American cinema of the early 1960s, but somehow people actually love 80s cinemas. Kill me.

Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:09 pm
Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
If you're interested, I'd suggest reading a book by David Sirota called Back to Our Future. He goes into great detail about the whole nostalgia phenomenon.

Yeah those 4 named do not hold up very well at all. They're artifacts of that era.

I kinda take an in-between view on the 80s, as far as cinematic decades go that I've been alive in. They weren't on the level of the 70s or the 90s, which were probably the two greatest eras in post WWII cinematic history. But I don't quite see them as a trash heap. Yeah, there was a large amount of crud released in that era and I agree 100% with Kunz's view on the 1989 Oscar nominees (Where the hell were Do The Right Thing, Drugstore Cowboy and Casualties of War?). True the 80s were the decade in which the roots of the mindless blockbuster were planted. It wasn't a decade of sustained accomplishment like the one that preceded it or the one that followed.

On the other hand, many of the truly good blockbusters of that era (Back To The Future, Terminator, Aliens, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Die Hard) hold up fairly well. In addition, there were also many pretty good iconic films in that era (Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Clue, Fast Times At Ridgemont High, The Blues Brothers) as well as under the radar ones (Do The Right Thing, Platoon, Drugstore Cowboy, Blue Velvet, Raising Arizona, Sex Lies And Videotape) and a few future classics unheralded at the time (The Thing, Blade Runner).

The 2000s were similar. They started off on a dire note as 2000 and 2001 were very weak (how the hell A Beautiful Mind got those Oscars while Mulholland Drive didn't get a Best Picture nod is beyond me). 2002 was something of an improvement. 2003-2005 were hit and miss. But there was a fairly large amount of good material in that three year period. 2006 and 2007 were the only years during that decade I would consider to be banner years. 008 and 2009 (and continuing on into 2010 and 2011) were both pretty weak. 2012 and 2013 were rebounds.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:38 pm
Auteur

JamesKunz wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

I agree with you ONE HUNDRED percent. The 80s was a dire, dire moment in American cinema. One of those awful, bloated times desperately in need of renaissance (which it thankfully got in the 90s, one of American cinema's finest hours.) I mean, just look at the Best Picture nominees from 1989. There's not one I would even give *** stars to.

The part that really galls me is that non one -- NO ONE -- looks with rose-colored classes at the similarly shitty American cinema of the early 1960s, but somehow people actually love 80s cinemas. Kill me.

Strongly disagree on Rambo, loved that film, don't think it's "shitty" at all.

Red Dawn was OK, but I liked the remake better. Top Gun was also average, I prefered Iron Eagle myself.

There are some 90s films I feel people tend to grossly overrate(American Beauty anyone? ugh!), though admittedly the 80s had it's ups and downs as far as films go, I tend to go for the films from that decade that even back in the day were not looked at with much reverence(i'm talking stuff like "Out Of Bounds" and "Renegades")

Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:56 pm
Director

First Blood wasn't too bad. Although it is inferior when compared to the novel, which had much more character development and was also a socially relevant text for the time it was published.

Nevertheless, I think what I said is accurate. The icon movies of the 80s - Flashdance, Footloose, Valley Girl, Road House, Top Gun, The Goonies, Red Dawn, Clash of the Titans, Highlander, Coming to America, Beverly Hills Cop, Rocky 4, Caddyshack, Rambo II and III, Batman, Labyrinth, etc...they were all amazingly shitty, or at best mediocre. This isn't to say good movies - even great movies weren't made. Die Hard, Aliens, Robocop, Blade Runner, Do The Right Thing, Stranger Than Paradise, Missing, The Terminator, Back to the Future, Fast Times, Casualties of War, The Last Temptation of Christ...all fall along the good to great part of the spectrum. But I challenge you to put the best movies of the 80s up against the best movies of the 70s. The 70s win every time.

Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:44 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
First Blood wasn't too bad. Although it is inferior when compared to the novel, which had much more character development and was also a socially relevant text for the time it was published.

Nevertheless, I think what I said is accurate. The icon movies of the 80s - Flashdance, Footloose, Valley Girl, Road House, Top Gun, The Goonies, Red Dawn, Clash of the Titans, Highlander, Coming to America, Beverly Hills Cop, Rocky 4, Caddyshack, Rambo II and III, Batman, Labyrinth, etc...they were all amazingly shitty, or at best mediocre. This isn't to say good movies - even great movies weren't made. Die Hard, Aliens, Robocop, Blade Runner, Do The Right Thing, Stranger Than Paradise, Missing, The Terminator, Back to the Future, Fast Times, Casualties of War, The Last Temptation of Christ...all fall along the good to great part of the spectrum. But I challenge you to put the best movies of the 80s up against the best movies of the 70s. The 70s win every time.

I prefered the film adaption better, in the book Rambo killed so many of his pursuers that I had a hard time finding him sympatetic, and I found the ending awfully weak as well. The author actually said he prefered the ending to the film.

Disagree on Rambo 2 and 3, Roadhouse, Beverly Hills Cop, Batman, those films I find pretty enjoyable. Caddyshack is kind of eh, I liked the sequel better, same with Highlander. The rest of the films I find forgettable, but I don't outright hate any of them.

I disagree that the 70s "win every time", I just personally prefer the 80s, course maybe I like that decade better then you because I didn't grow up during that period, so i'm able to look at those films in a different light.

Didn't care for Strangers Than Paradise as i'm not really a Jarmusch fan. Also didn't care for Last Temptation, but I otherwise agree with your list.

Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:31 pm
Second Unit Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:

Someone on twitter asked what peoples favorite films were from the year that they were born. I looked up 1983 on imdb and couldn't help but notice that the only film on there that didn't look completely awful was Return of the Jedi. Not that this proves anything about the 80's but damn was I born during a pretty desolate year for cinema.
-Jeremy

Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:30 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

I would bet that nostalgia for any given time period has something to do with the generation that came of age during that period coming into its time of influence during this one. Right now, '80s kids are the new leaders.

Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:36 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 751, 752, 753, 754, 755, 756, 757 ... 820  Next