Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:47 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 748, 749, 750, 751, 752, 753, 754 ... 786  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Director

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
The New Land

The second part of Jan Troell's 6.5 hour immigration epic. Full of grief and sorrow in the same sense that most 19th century novels are full of grief and sorrow. This movie is long, long, long, but extremely well made. Includes one unspeakable act of violence that's one of the worst things I've ever seen in a movie (though not presented in a way that's difficult to watch). This story overall is an epic chronicle, but I don't see that it has a truly focused center. There are several tangents that end up being dead ends. I doubt I'll ever watch it again, but I'm glad I sat through it once.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:44 am
Second Unit Director

[quote="Thief12"]Two watches today...

Dallas Buyers Club... If anything, I would say that the jabs at Big Pharma weren't necessarily accurate, but I still thought this was a worthy film. Not spectacular, but pretty good. Grade: B+

Yeah this one really had an ax to grind. I agree that it's a fine film but outside of the acting not really memorable.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:56 am
Producer

Bathed in mediocrity last night.

White Men Can't Jump (1992)

It's probably 20 years since I watched this. and it's almost exactly how I remembered it. Good basketball scenes that are basically the films action sequences. Good chemistry between Snipes and Harrelson. The plot fades and becomes a bit weird later on, but essentially a solid piece of filler.

Fighting (2009)

Channing Tatum plays Channing Tatum playing a Channing Tatum who fights for money. This is a quite hilariously bad film. The acting is poor from everyone, especially Terrence Howard who gives is an unholy mesh of smug and demented.

Its 2 almost-saving graces are the OK fight scenes, and Zulay Henao who plays his smoking hot love interest.

But bad film! Naughty bad film!!

The Devil's Rejects (2005)

Nowhere near as bad as it should be. It is still an abomination, but if utterly tasteless horrors need to be made, then they should probably be made like this. As nasty as this film is, there are moments of genuine levity. Zombie has succeeded in creating this hideous, but sometimes funny, little Universe. And for a B-Movie horror rip off, the acting in this film from everyone except Zombie's own wife is surprisingly good.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:03 am
Cinematographer

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 in 3D (2014) : 3 1/4 Stars
Director Marc Webb designed some scenes to take advantage of the 3D and really enhance the entertainment experience and I loved it! Andrew Grafield really captures the Spider-man spirit from the comics and the fun that he shows while battling bad guys who seem to overpower him is really contagious. Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy is good too and shows chemistry with Garfield. The film has 3 villians (Electro, Green Goblin and Rhino) but it is mainly about Electro who is reasonably well played by Jamie Fox (actually better than I was expecting) . The plot is a bit convoluted and seems to lose focus at times but in general I was very well entertained , in fact I am already planning to watch it again soon and in 3D 8-)

Attachments:
Spider-man 2.JPG
Spider-man 2.JPG [ 24.79 KiB | Viewed 617 times ]

Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:19 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Margin Call (2011) I don't know much about Wall Street and stocks, but dammit, if this film didn't make a thrill out of a bunch of meetings with executives. Finely acted by a damn fine cast (Kevin Spacey, Jeremy Irons, Zachary Quinto, Demi Moore, Stanley Tucci, etc.), tightly written and directed, the film chronicles a brief period that precludes the stock crash of 2007. The film lasts almost 2 hours, but it really went like a breeze. Grade: Probably a low A-

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:34 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

unwindfilms wrote:
Director Marc Webb designed some scenes to take advantage of the 3D and really enhance the entertainment experience and I loved it! Andrew Grafield really captures the Spider-man spirit from the comics and the fun that he shows while battling bad guys who seem to overpower him is really contagious. Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy is good too and shows chemistry with Garfield. The film has 3 villians (Electro, Green Goblin and Rhino) but it is mainly about Electro who is reasonably well played by Jamie Fox (actually better than I was expecting) . The plot is a bit convoluted and seems to lose focus at times but in general I was very well entertained , in fact I am already planning to watch it again soon and in 3D 8-)

Good to hear that the movie delivers. But you mean, gasp!, the movie is actually worth watching in 3D? That RARELY seems to be the case! :shock:

Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:26 am
Producer

Watched Saving Mr. Banks last night. Loved it. Definitely one of the best films of 2013. Emma Thompson, Colin Farrell, Ruth Wilson and Tom Hanks are all wonderful. Great supporting work too by the likes of Bradley Whitford, B.J. Novak, Jason Schwartzman and Paul Giamatti.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:28 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
unwindfilms wrote:

Good to hear that the movie delivers. But you mean, gasp!, the movie is actually worth watching in 3D? That RARELY seems to be the case! :shock:

For me unless a film was actually filmed in 3-D, I don't see the point in paying a surcharge.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:30 am
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
unwindfilms wrote:

For me unless a film was actually filmed in 3-D, I don't see the point in paying a surcharge.

I used to agree with you not long ago but the technicians behind the 3D conversion are becoming very good at it. Now, what it really helps is that the Director really design some scenes to take advantage of this technology like Alfonso Cuarón with Gravity and now Webb with this one :-)

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:22 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

ilovemovies wrote:
unwindfilms wrote:

Webb designed some scenes in particular with Spider-man which should not be as entertaining if you see them in 2D. The film was shot in 2D and not even digitally (35 mm) but Sony had a good team and technology for the conversion. I liked the result 8-)

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:27 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Not all conversions are terrible. I really enjoyed the 3D in Journey to the Center of the Earth and Beowulf was pretty good too.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:35 am
Director

Paths of Glory (1957)

It's always a curious thing rewatching an all-time favorite you haven't seen since your teen, to see how much your changed taste will affect the film. Especially in this case, where almost ten years ago I was so dazzled and stunned by the turn of plot I barely could gather my thoughts afterwards:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
In all my naivety at the time, I really believed that someone or something would be coming to the rescue, even while the three doomed prisoners were marching up to their firing squad. My jaw literally dropped then when the guns finally went off, not believing how such injustice would not be conventionally remedied by the film's end.

Well, in this viewing, even knowing the ending beforehand (and especially, knowing Kubrick now), the film is still very powerful. I feel this is the film Kubrick finally has come into his own. The chilling, haunting advance through the No Man's Land remains the film's centerpiece, but even in more subdued places such as the trial and the holding cell, his direction is always dynamic, beautiful, and crisp (I loved the little detail of bloodied, injured men limping by while power-hungry General Mireau is busy looking eagerly at the Anthill). Just technically phenomenal. Kirk Douglas' performance is still rivetingly stoic on the surface, hiding his building indignation and pride that will inevitably burst out. Lastly, the film leavens its cynicism with that bittersweet last scene, still hard-hitting after all these years in its effort to show the soldiers' human aspect, despite being hardened by war and those in power seeing them just as pawns to their own glory. 10/10

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:22 am
Cinematographer

Ever since I first saw it back in 1995-96, Seven has been arguably my #2 favorite film. Gritty atmosphere, great acting, superb directing, intense story, and a shocking twist. I've seen the film dozens of times, maybe even a hundred times, but for some reason, I hadn't seen it in a couple of years. I decided to revisit it today, and boy, 20 years don't seem to leave a dent in it. I still found myself completely captivated by Mills and Somerset, and their quest to catch this killer; and those last 20-30 minutes? all these years, and I still was at the edge of my seat. What a great film all the way. Grade: A+

Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:26 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Downhill (1927)

Solid story of a falsely accused man stretched out to some tedious effects at over one hour and a half, but Hitchcock's emerging visual style is strong throughout, using relatively little title cards considering its length. The lead is nuanced enough to be engaging during some drawn-out sections of his misfortune. 6/10

The Farmer's Wife (1928)

Two effective lead performances and some amusing jokes from the rom-com plot. Otherwise a chore at two hours, and Hithcock's visual sense seems to take a holiday. 4.5/10

Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:39 am
Cinematographer

peng wrote:
Downhill (1927)

Solid story of a falsely accused man stretched out to some tedious effects at over one hour and a half, but Hitchcock's emerging visual style is strong throughout, using relatively little title cards considering its length. The lead is nuanced enough to be engaging during some drawn-out sections of his misfortune. 6/10

The Farmer's Wife (1928)

Two effective lead performances and some amusing jokes from the rom-com plot. Otherwise a chore at two hours, and Hithcock's visual sense seems to take a holiday. 4.5/10

I haven't seen Downhill, but yeah, along with Champagne, The Farmer's Wife was pretty dull and uninteresting. If you are watching Hitchcock's early films, you can check out an article I wrote about them on my signature. None of them blew me away, but my favorites were Easy Virtue and maybe The Manxman.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:10 am
Profile WWW
Director

Thief12 wrote:
I haven't seen Downhill, but yeah, along with Champagne, The Farmer's Wife was pretty dull and uninteresting. If you are watching Hitchcock's early films, you can check out an article I wrote about them on my signature. None of them blew me away, but my favorites were Easy Virtue and maybe The Manxman.

I remember some of the reviews you've written. Over the past week I have watched all the early Hitchcocks up to just before The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934). And yeah, after adapting to the sound era relatively well with Blackmail (1929)and Murder! (1930), his other works in the four year period since are very lackluster. He really, really didn't fare well with melodramas (although he also had one misfire in the reliable suspense genre, with Number Seventeen (1932))

My favorites of his from that period would be, in order, The Lodger, Blackmail, and The Manxman.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:11 am
Cinematographer

Glengarry Glen Ross Now, this is a film I hadn't seen in almost 20 years. I remember liking it a lot, but watching it today, man, what a bunch of excellent performances. Obviously, being based on a play, the strength is indeed in the performances, and they all excel in it. Particularly Jack Lemmon, who I think was magnificent. Pacino might've had the showiest role, but Lemmon was so perfect. And the rest of the cast is no worse. Pretty darn good film. Grade: A-

Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Thief12 wrote:
Glengarry Glen Ross Now, this is a film I hadn't seen in almost 20 years. I remember liking it a lot, but watching it today, man, what a bunch of excellent performances. Obviously, being based on a play, the strength is indeed in the performances, and they all excel in it. Particularly Jack Lemmon, who I think was magnificent. Pacino might've had the showiest role, but Lemmon was so perfect. And the rest of the cast is no worse. Pretty darn good film. Grade: A-

I agree with all of that. Lemmon was the best of a very good bunch

Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:14 pm
Producer

Merchant Ivory's The Europeans is impeccably written, acted and designed, dramatically inert and a pretty good cure for insomnia. Basically two Europeans come to stay with their American cousins, which interferes with dull romantic arrangements. Merchant Ivory and Henry James bring out the worst in each other. (5 of 10)

I like the other James adaptations I've seen, The Innocents, The Heiress (based on Washington Square) and The Wings of the Dove, but I understand Campion's The Portrait of a Lady is to be avoided.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:12 pm
Assistant Director

The Machine
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2317225/
Wasted opportunity. That's the first thing that sprung to mind after watching this. The premise of the film is basically a sort of prequel to Bladerunner - i.e. the invention of the fist ever artificial intelligent robot. Human's enhanced with cybernetic implants etc also feature. While it starts out with all the potential of high-brow sci-fi gold it all rapidly devolves into an all-out action film about fighting the evil megalomaniacal Ministry of Defense who only want the technology for super soldiers. So rather than a philosophical discussion on comparisons with Spielberg's A.I. and Scott's Bladerunner you actually find yourself talking about I, Robot and Universal Soldier, <sigh>. Still, it's not exactly terrible... but it just could have been so much more.
6/10.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:41 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 748, 749, 750, 751, 752, 753, 754 ... 786  Next