Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:32 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 743, 744, 745, 746, 747, 748, 749 ... 808  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Vexer wrote:
your use of the word "hillbillies" comes off as slightly racist

[Reveal] Spoiler:

I saw 300: Bride of the Lycans, and it was totally fine. I don't really buy that it is in any way dumber than the first one, which is really really dumb. Like the first, it's pretty much an extended trailer, and while there were a few neato shots (saw this in 2D), I cannot imagine ever revisiting this, or recommending it. I mean, it's bad, but it doesn't pretend to not be bad, and so I give it that bit of praise for knowing itself pretty well.

But seriously, it's really dumb.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:13 pm
Auteur

Shade2 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
your use of the word "hillbillies" comes off as slightly racist

[Reveal] Spoiler:

I saw 300: Bride of the Lycans, and it was totally fine. I don't really buy that it is in any way dumber than the first one, which is really really dumb. Like the first, it's pretty much an extended trailer, and while there were a few neato shots (saw this in 2D), I cannot imagine ever revisiting this, or recommending it. I mean, it's bad, but it doesn't pretend to not be bad, and so I give it that bit of praise for knowing itself pretty well.

But seriously, it's really dumb.

Yeah a facepalm image, cause those aren't overrused at all :roll: Anyways I fail to see what's so facepalm worthy about I said :?

Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:23 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Yeah a facepalm image, cause those aren't overrused at all :roll:

Umm. I mean.

Vexer wrote:
:roll:

Okay.

Sincere apologies for lacking originality (although surely I get points for going with a Star Trek one other than the most famous?), but claiming that it is "slightly racist" to use word "hillbilly" seems, uh, not right. Can you explain your reasoning here?

Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:51 am
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
everyone would've likely survived had they killed the herders they ran into so that they cold not give their positions away to the enemy

So iyo killing civilians is totally the right thing to do when you're invading a country to "liberate" the same civilians from the evil doers?
[Reveal] Spoiler:
And further, iyo, it follows that the best course of action for Marcus at the end of the film would in fact be to KILL the Afghans helping him, including the child, because for all he knew they might well have been Taliban sympathisers and given away his position AGAIN? "Fool me once" and all that.

And just to be clear, you wouldn't find the term "Beverly hillbillies" racist, but "Afghan hillbillies" you construe as "slightly" racist? Or do you just find the word "hillbilly" a racist slur in general? In that case, I apologise for any offense caused.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:22 am
Producer

Facebook told me today that I am most similar to Sisko out of all the Star Trek captains. I have no reason to say that other than the GIF being in this thread.

I was hoping for Captain Sulu... yes, he was a captain in the sixth movie, and he was awesome at it.

Anyway.

I watched the first Captain America today (Chris Evans, Hugo Weaving, actress who totally isn't Scarlett Johansson but looks a lot like her, Sam Jackson not using the F word, etc.) and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Of all the Marvel-produced movies I've seen, it's probably my favorite, even edging out the first Iron Man movie.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:27 am
Director

You didn't find it petered out significantly after the montage scene? But yeah before that is one of my favorite narrative stretches of the Marvel films.

Blade Runner (1982)

How do you go about not loving a beloved classic? Maybe by saying that despite finding the thematic material excellent, its world intoxicating, and, strangely, the "villain" (played magnificently by Rutger Hauer) the heart and soul of the film, it utterly leaves me cold on an emotional level otherwise. In my opinion, the detached approach may go well with a philosophical film that also works supremely as a sensory experience (2001), but for a plot-oriented affair like this, the emotional investment is crucial in giving the hero's plight meaning, and I don't feel it. Interesting and impressive, but I find some characters and their journeys wanting. 7.5/10

A Matter of Life and Death (1946)

Really impressive how the Powell/Pressburger duo has a very distinctive style that nonetheless can be applicable to a variety of genres. It may work best with The Red Shoes' operatic nature, but also is not out of place with psychological drama of Black Narcissus and the romantic fantasy of this one. The transitions between heaven's black-and-white and earth's sumptuous colors are cleverly done. The design of heaven is very visually pleasing, and it doesn't lack for lightly humorous touches about its world as well ("one is starved for Technicolor up there"). The romance itself may be fast but the actors sell it convincingly which lends considerable power to the ending. If there are some knocks against the film, it may be that using one death to obviously advance the plot is a bit distracting, and the whole USA vs. England section of the court is amusing/interesting but ultimately takes too much time away from the heart of the story. Still a tremendous film though. 8.5/10

Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:44 am
Producer

Ken wrote:
Facebook told me today that I am most similar to Sisko out of all the Star Trek captains. I have no reason to say that other than the GIF being in this thread.

I was hoping for Captain Sulu... yes, he was a captain in the sixth movie, and he was awesome at it.

Anyway.

I watched the first Captain America today (Chris Evans, Hugo Weaving, actress who totally isn't Scarlett Johansson but looks a lot like her, Sam Jackson not using the F word, etc.) and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Of all the Marvel-produced movies I've seen, it's probably my favorite, even edging out the first Iron Man movie.

That's on my Netflix que too.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:45 am
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
Vexer wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
everyone would've likely survived had they killed the herders they ran into so that they cold not give their positions away to the enemy

So iyo killing civilians is totally the right thing to do when you're invading a country to "liberate" the same civilians from the evil doers?
[Reveal] Spoiler:
And further, iyo, it follows that the best course of action for Marcus at the end of the film would in fact be to KILL the Afghans helping him, including the child, because for all he knew they might well have been Taliban sympathisers and given away his position AGAIN? "Fool me once" and all that.

And just to be clear, you wouldn't find the term "Beverly hillbillies" racist, but "Afghan hillbillies" you construe as "slightly" racist? Or do you just find the word "hillbilly" a racist slur in general? In that case, I apologise for any offense caused.

I never said it was the "right" thing to do, but I don't get how you got the message that the film was "anti-USA". If it was really anti-USA, then all of the soldiers would've been demonized until horrible people with no redeeming qualities.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Also don't put words in my mouth, I never remotely suggested anything like that. You can understand why some of the men were against the idea of killing the herders, even though they were sure that letting them go would lead to their own deaths and the herders themselves get killed anyways.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:52 am
Producer

peng wrote:
You didn't find it petered out significantly after the montage scene? But yeah before that is one of my favorite narrative stretches of the Marvel films.

Montage? Like near the end, right before he (it's not a spoiler because you know this is where it's going from square one) wakes up in 2011? I didn't think so. In fact, if they'd handled it a different way by backloading all the 21st century stuff instead of setting it up earlier, it would have felt a lot more like a narrative tumor than it ended up becoming.

I won't say the movie is perfect by any means--Iron Man was significantly flawed as well--but Captain America was such great fun. A pulpy superhero adventure crossed with the genes of Indiana Jones. A nice alternative to the rat-a-tat smartassery of Iron Man or the crime movie trappings of Batman.

Cap is a character I always liked, but never read much of back when I was a regular reader of superhero comics. I'm not sure why. I don't think the spinner racks featured him as heavily as they featured Spider-Man or the X-Men.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:17 am
Director

It's been so long I forget exactly where that places in the film (I'm thinking right around the middle?) but I mean the battle montage of Captain America fighting in a lot of places. After that I feel like both the story and the visual style become more generic. Before that, as you said, it's very good pulpy fun.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:38 am
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
peng wrote:

Montage? Like near the end, right before he (it's not a spoiler because you know this is where it's going from square one) wakes up in 2011? I didn't think so. In fact, if they'd handled it a different way by backloading all the 21st century stuff instead of setting it up earlier, it would have felt a lot more like a narrative tumor than it ended up becoming.

I won't say the movie is perfect by any means--Iron Man was significantly flawed as well--but Captain America was such great fun. A pulpy superhero adventure crossed with the genes of Indiana Jones. A nice alternative to the rat-a-tat smartassery of Iron Man or the crime movie trappings of Batman.

Cap is a character I always liked, but never read much of back when I was a regular reader of superhero comics. I'm not sure why. I don't think the spinner racks featured him as heavily as they featured Spider-Man or the X-Men.

I always though that, just based on the concept, Captain America would be a supremely silly superhero, but whenever he showed up in any comic book I read (haven't read any Captain America comics), he was really interesting and well-written. I also liked the first Captain America movie, but I would have liked it even better if there was more of him waking up after decades of being cryogenically frozen. The movie handled this a bit as an afterthought.

Perhaps that's just because I can relate to the aspect of "a man fallen out of his time". A few years ago, I was in a sort of trainee program and everybody was about ten years younger than me and didn't get a some of the pop cultural references I was making. For instance, while some of us were relieving ourselves at the urinals, I warned everybody not to cross the streams. Blank looks and raised eyebrows. I explained that this was from 'Ghostbusters'. More blank looks and raised eyebrows. Hm, thinking abvout it, perhaps that wasn't so much the result of not getting a pop cultural reference, but of witnessing a fairly middle-aged man singing the Ghostbusters theme song and gyrating his pelvis with his dick in his hands...

Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:54 am
Cinematographer

peng wrote:
Blade Runner (1982)

How do you go about not loving a beloved classic? Maybe by saying that despite finding the thematic material excellent, its world intoxicating, and, strangely, the "villain" (played magnificently by Rutger Hauer) the heart and soul of the film, it utterly leaves me cold on an emotional level otherwise. In my opinion, the detached approach may go well with a philosophical film that also works supremely as a sensory experience (2001), but for a plot-oriented affair like this, the emotional investment is crucial in giving the hero's plight meaning, and I don't feel it. Interesting and impressive, but I find some characters and their journeys wanting. 7.5/10

I've decided to take the detached, somewhat choppy nature of the film to be a further examination of whether Deckard is a human or android. The film, like many sci-fi movies, is interested in exploring what it means to be human. It does it by blurring the line between human and android. The story and themes invite the viewer in, and the detachment keeps them at a distance. It kind of mirrors Deckard's journey and, if he is an android, makes a lot of sense since we see a good deal of the movie from his perspective.

That said, my initial feelings on the film were inline with yours, and my view very well could be me justifying poor filmmaking in order to continue hailing it as a masterpiece.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:55 am
Producer

I'm going to commit an act of heresy here and I partially expect to see a corgi in a cowboy hat ... but I just don't rate Blade Runner that highly.

Perhaps I should revisit it, but then again I don't have much inclination to.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:52 am
Producer

I don't care to know Deckard, but I think that was kind of the point. All the warmth and humanity in the movie radiates from the Replicants. Everybody else leads a cold and mechanical life.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:15 pm
Director

Dishonored

Pauline Kael thought this was the dullest of the Sternberg/Dietrich flicks. Can't imagine why. I think it's one of the best. Lively, interesting, if campy plot. Better sense of rhythm and pacing than is typical for Sternberg. Feels like a classic of its time, even if Dietrich gives the only good performance.

Moonrise

There were a lot of "decent man made into a killer by the evils around him" flicks during the noir period. This from Borzage is a pretty good one. As a movie, it may not amount to much, but Borzage's craft is impeccable. He tells the story in a concise, deliberate manner, as is the case with the other films of his that I've seen. The best sequence is on a ferris wheel, where Borzage performs some pretty snazzy camera moves in conjunction with its topography.

Frozen

Watched most of this, wish I had just left it well alone. A schizophrenic piece of work, so desperate to hold your attention that it never comes close to grounding itself in anything consistent. So much has been made of "Let it Go," that I was actually surprised at how random and isolated the scene is in which it's actually sung. The scene doesn't jive rhythmically with the rest of the movie, which must be why unschooled viewers have no trouble singling it out. Overall, the film is an obnoxious piece of shit with a painfully bland/mediocre sense of animation direction.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:42 pm
Critic

MGamesCook wrote:

Frozen

Watched most of this, wish I had just left it well alone. A schizophrenic piece of work, so desperate to hold your attention that it never comes close to grounding itself in anything consistent. So much has been made of "Let it Go," that I was actually surprised at how random and isolated the scene is in which it's actually sung. The scene doesn't jive rhythmically with the rest of the movie, which must be why unschooled viewers have no trouble singling it out. Overall, the film is an obnoxious piece of shit with a painfully bland/mediocre sense of animation direction.

...damn

Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:05 pm
Producer

NotHughGrant wrote:
I'm going to commit an act of heresy here and I partially expect to see a corgi in a cowboy hat ... but I just don't rate Blade Runner that highly.

Perhaps I should revisit it, but then again I don't have much inclination to.

I feel the same way. Maybe we'll both wind up burnt at the stake by the true believers.

EDIT: Or corgis in cowboy hats.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:17 pm
Second Unit Director

peng wrote:
Blade Runner (1982)

I've seen this twice now and this is actually pretty much my reaction both times. The last scene is certainly moving, but that's pretty much the only time I felt anything during the whole film.
-Jeremy

Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:35 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

peng wrote:
Blade Runner (1982)

Completely disagree. This film is imo superlative, and would certainly be on my top 10 of all time. ALL TIME! To paraphrase Steve jobs, "maybe you're not watching it right" ;) .

Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:38 am
Assistant Director

nitrium wrote:
peng wrote:
Blade Runner (1982)

Completely disagree. This film is imo superlative, and would certainly be on my top 10 of all time. ALL TIME! To paraphrase Steve jobs, "maybe you're not watching it right" ;) .

Count me among the ones who love this film too and as you already know, we are not alone 8-)

No 1 Science Fiction movie of all time according UK The Guardian

Quote:
"Blade Runner is the best movie ever made," says Stephen Minger, stem cell biologist at King's College London. "It was so far ahead of its time and the whole premise of the story - what is it to be human and who are we, where we come from? It's the age-old questions." ...
It is a worthy winner also because of the quality of the film-making: Vangelis' brooding score, Rutger Hauer's replicant's seminal "I've seen things..." speech and that shot of the future LA cityscape, which kicks off the story.

Part of the Great movies collection of Roger Ebert

Ebert loved the Final Cut which is the version I have in Blu-Ray and by now I do not remember the original theatrical version :-)

I loved it first time I saw it but I know for a fact that some people started to love it after second or third watch ;-)

Last edited by unwindfilms on Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:46 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 743, 744, 745, 746, 747, 748, 749 ... 808  Next