Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:47 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 742, 743, 744, 745, 746, 747, 748 ... 821  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Producer

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
She gave an interview somewhat recently. She seems to have weathered the post-fame life well enough, though she can't seem to decide whether she dumped movies or movies dumped her.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:20 am
Second Unit Director

Race with the Devil (1975)
Two friends and motorcycle enthusiasts (played by exploitation veterans Peter Fonda and Warren Oates) take their wives on a trip to the Texan countryside in a motor caravan/ RV. Within 20 minutes from the start of the movie, they have participated in a motorbike race, raced each other on a dirt track, witnessed a satanistic ritual murder and are on the run from devil worshippers. Now that’s economic storytelling. Unfortunately, once the uncharacteristically helpful local small town sheriff sends them on their way to continue their holidays about five minutes later, the movie starts to sag considerably. There are isolated moments of interest (an effectively creepy moment in which one of the girls realises that she is alone in a swimming pool and all the other patrons of the pool are standing around watching her), but there are also some pretty shoddy scenes (rattlesnakes on a mobile home!). As is mandatory for a 70ies car chase movie, the last 20 minutes are devoted to a demolition derby, which is distinguished by glaring continuity errors and a decided lack of pace: A tow truck, a delivery van and a motor caravan aren’t the most speedy modes of transport, after all. The car chase is still kind of funny and cute, perhaps because it is so low key. To sum up, I was a little bit disappointed by ‘Race with the Devil’, because the idea of an exploitation film marrying the car chase and satanist horror genres sounded promising. That only works for the first 20 minutes and is just about okay for the last 20 minutes of the movie, though, leaving dull 50 minutes in between. At least it’s not as vile as the recent Nicolas Cage vehicle ‘Drive Angry’, which mines similar territory thematically. Not an outright bad movie, but there are better films to waste time with. 4/10

Pierrot le Fou (1965)
Ferdinand (Jean-Paul Belomondo) is a former TV presenter and somewhat alienated intellectual whose wife drags him to a party at his in-laws, so he may network his way into a new job. He quickly gets bored at the party, whose guests consist of advertisers speaking in adverstising slogans and Hollywood director Samuel Fullerm lecturing Ferdinand about cinema. Ferdinand leaves the party early, finds out that the babysitter for his daughter is his ex-girlfriend Marianne (Anna Karina) and runs away with her. The next morning he wakes up in her flat, where she keeps an arsenal of submachine guns and a corpse. A friend of his and current boyfriend of Marianne arrives and is murdered by the couple, so both go on the run from the law as well as from some ill-defined heavies (either mafiosi or right-wing OAS terrorists).
There’s actually little point in summarising ‘Pierrot le Fou’, one of Jean-Luc Godard’s most famous films. It simply isn’t interested in story or plot and only uses the “lovers on the run” road movie format as a basis for staging individual scenes. Marianne even complains at some point “I would like to return to my thriller - with guns, nightclubs and danger” rather than listening to Ferdinand (whom she inexplicably calls “Pierrot”) ranting about Spanish renaissance painters. So what is the movie about? Beasts me, I have to admit. I guess it’s about cinema, intellectualism, relationships, Maoism, love, the Vietnam War and, above all, life itself. Anyway, while I generally don’t have a big problem with movies without a plot or films, which I don’t understand, I found ‘Pierrot le Fou’ a bit uninvolving. It is not without interest and there are some funny bits, but it isn’t half as radical and in-your-face as Godard’s own “Week End” and, as a consequence, it isn’t as funny and absurd, which I liked about the latter movie. ‘Pierrot le Fou’ is the better-looking film, though, with a beautiful pallette of bright primary colours. Overall, my impression of the film was a positive one, but that’s as far as my appreciation goes. Perhaps, Roger Ebert was right, when he wrote that it is necessary to watch a few Godard movies before you learn to like them. 6/10

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:46 am
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
peng wrote:
Sexy Beast (2001)

Differentiates itself from most "one last job" crime dramas with the off-kilter tone/direction, character beats, and unusually devoting the first two-thirds to the job negotiation. Ben Kingsley is pretty monumental, a delicious villain whose primary tactic of being an immoveable object is mesmerizing and chilling, complete with endless stream of memorable quotes ("No, you are going to have to turn this opportunity yes!") and colorful insults. Ray Winstone's nervous stubbornness provides the perfect rapport with Kingsley. When that dynamic changes towards the end, the film loses some of its energy. Still, the exuberance and style of Jonathan Glazer's direction is entertaining to the end. 8/10

I was just recommended this one by a friend a few days ago. Now that you've brought it up, I shall have to watch it.

Go watch it! It's an excellent little movie.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:48 am
Assistant Director

Django Unchained A very entertaining and fun film, albeit a tad overlong. Jamie Foxx was solid as the titular character, but Christoph Waltz was excellent in what could be considered an extension of his Inglourious Basterds character. Plus all the supporting characters are excellent. They all seem to be meticulously cast and written. Also, kudos to DiCaprio for a really excellent supporting turn. If anything, I thought that the film was about half-an-hour longer than it should.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I think it should've ended with the first showdown at Candyland where King kills Candie, before being shot himself. After Django is forced to surrender, the film feels like it drags a bit. And considering that Foxx wasn't as interesting to me as King, it just felt that the film lost something.

But still, a really fun watch. Grade: A-

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:27 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Unke wrote:
Ken wrote:
peng wrote:
Sexy Beast (2001)

Differentiates itself from most "one last job" crime dramas with the off-kilter tone/direction, character beats, and unusually devoting the first two-thirds to the job negotiation. Ben Kingsley is pretty monumental, a delicious villain whose primary tactic of being an immoveable object is mesmerizing and chilling, complete with endless stream of memorable quotes ("No, you are going to have to turn this opportunity yes!") and colorful insults. Ray Winstone's nervous stubbornness provides the perfect rapport with Kingsley. When that dynamic changes towards the end, the film loses some of its energy. Still, the exuberance and style of Jonathan Glazer's direction is entertaining to the end. 8/10

I was just recommended this one by a friend a few days ago. Now that you've brought it up, I shall have to watch it.

Go watch it! It's an excellent little movie.

Seconded (or thirded I guess) - viewtopic.php?f=27&t=69&p=122375&hilit=beast#p122375

Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:41 am
Director

Unke wrote:
Pierrot le Fou (1965)
Ferdinand (Jean-Paul Belomondo) is a former TV presenter and somewhat alienated intellectual whose wife drags him to a party at his in-laws, so he may network his way into a new job. He quickly gets bored at the party, whose guests consist of advertisers speaking in adverstising slogans and Hollywood director Samuel Fullerm lecturing Ferdinand about cinema. Ferdinand leaves the party early, finds out that the babysitter for his daughter is his ex-girlfriend Marianne (Anna Karina) and runs away with her. The next morning he wakes up in her flat, where she keeps an arsenal of submachine guns and a corpse. A friend of his and current boyfriend of Marianne arrives and is murdered by the couple, so both go on the run from the law as well as from some ill-defined heavies (either mafiosi or right-wing OAS terrorists).
There’s actually little point in summarising ‘Pierrot le Fou’, one of Jean-Luc Godard’s most famous films. It simply isn’t interested in story or plot and only uses the “lovers on the run” road movie format as a basis for staging individual scenes. Marianne even complains at some point “I would like to return to my thriller - with guns, nightclubs and danger” rather than listening to Ferdinand (whom she inexplicably calls “Pierrot”) ranting about Spanish renaissance painters. So what is the movie about? Beasts me, I have to admit. I guess it’s about cinema, intellectualism, relationships, Maoism, love, the Vietnam War and, above all, life itself. Anyway, while I generally don’t have a big problem with movies without a plot or films, which I don’t understand, I found ‘Pierrot le Fou’ a bit uninvolving. It is not without interest and there are some funny bits, but it isn’t half as radical and in-your-face as Godard’s own “Week End” and, as a consequence, it isn’t as funny and absurd, which I liked about the latter movie. ‘Pierrot le Fou’ is the better-looking film, though, with a beautiful pallette of bright primary colours. Overall, my impression of the film was a positive one, but that’s as far as my appreciation goes. Perhaps, Roger Ebert was right, when he wrote that it is necessary to watch a few Godard movies before you learn to like them. 6/10

Weekend is definitely much better. Agreed.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:21 pm
Second Unit Director

Thief12 wrote:
Django Unchained A very entertaining and fun film, albeit a tad overlong. Jamie Foxx was solid as the titular character, but Christoph Waltz was excellent in what could be considered an extension of his Inglourious Basterds character.

How are the characters anything alike? One is an extremely amoral NAZI, the other is a liberal bounty hunter who detests slavery... I can some small overlaps in personality (they're both pretty meticulous) but that's about it.
-Jeremy

Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:30 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Wrapped up the 216 minute Mohabbatein, the first lavish Bollywood production I've seen. The plot is simple, culled from the chaste entertainment that defined what we think of the 1950s from the vantage of 2014: three boys, students at the prestigious school Gurukul, are inspired to pursue love by a new teacher who has come to the institution in order to break the rigid tradition of fear that has defined it for 25 years. The new teacher has this agenda because he was expelled from this institution when he fell in love with the headmaster's daughter. As love moves in to replace fear at Garukul, there are multiple song and dance sequences, dramatic monologues about the power of love, and the kitchen sink.

This is entertainment as entertainment was back in the golden age of musicals. Throw in some gorgeous women in varying states of undress (one could drink himself to death should the audience play a drinking game around the number of bare midriffs), bright colors and infectiously positive outlook and you've got Mohabbatein and possibly every other lavish Bollywood epic. No matter how the competition looks, the cheerfulness of the movie worked for me. The message of the movie is naive, as you may be guessing, but it's all so bright and shining that I couldn't bring myself to care. Unchallenging, simple and entertaining. And very long. Epic candy with beautiful women and men cut from Errol Flynn's cloth.

Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:50 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
What happened to Thora Birch was that her manager/father was an absolute nightmare to deal with, so she stopped getting roles because nobody could stand to be around him and she wasn't willing to fire him.

Just like McCauley Culkin.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:57 pm
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Vexer wrote:
What happened to Thora Birch was that her manager/father was an absolute nightmare to deal with, so she stopped getting roles because nobody could stand to be around him and she wasn't willing to fire him.

Just like McCauley Culkin.

True, though thankfully she at least didn't get into drugs like Culkin did.

Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:48 pm
Assistant Director

thered47 wrote:
Thief12 wrote:
Django Unchained A very entertaining and fun film, albeit a tad overlong. Jamie Foxx was solid as the titular character, but Christoph Waltz was excellent in what could be considered an extension of his Inglourious Basterds character.

How are the characters anything alike? One is an extremely amoral NAZI, the other is a liberal bounty hunter who detests slavery... I can some small overlaps in personality (they're both pretty meticulous) but that's about it.
-Jeremy

It has nothing to do with their morals, so the similarities I see are not character-wise, but rather performance-wise. Aside of the meticulousness you mentioned, both are Germans, both have the same mannerisms and same manner of speaking.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:40 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Non-Stop (2014)

JB pretty much captured my thoughts. It is what it is. It starts taut and unravels quickly at the end leaving bits and pieces of logic and plot devices splattered all over the place. Neeson is getting to the point where he could probably do these parts in his sleep. There are enough misdirections and "can I guess it before the reveal" thoughts to hold attention, but not much more. 2.5 / 4.0

Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:49 pm
Assistant Director

God's Not Dead: 0/4 I don't get offended easily. I take a "glass is half full" approach and can appreciate a movie even if I disagree with it, provided that's it's done well. "God's Not Dead" is a preachy and shallow excuse for a movie featuring stupid characters, bad logic and skirting over the issues it raises. It's not entertaining, it's definitely not subtle, and reeks of an ego trip. The message is good, the presentation is wretched.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:11 am
Profile WWW
Director

^so what made you want to see it in the first place?

Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:33 pm
Director

Great Expectations (1946)

After 2009's A Christmas Carol, this is the second time I experience a story by Charles Dickens in any form. I get the feeling that a lot of nuances are lost from the book being condensed, especially the bridges between important events. It makes the many coincidences stand out rather unfavorably, and character development is sketchy at best. It is so handsomely mounted though (which helped it won both Best Art Direction and Cinematography). The film feels cinematic; the material must have been so easy to come off as stilted, but David Lean's direction brings energy to even a confined/normal set piece. Which makes the whole thing move along enjoyably enough. 7.5/10

Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:06 pm
Producer

peng wrote:

After 2009's A Christmas Carol, this is the second time I experience a story by Charles Dickens in any form. I get the feeling that a lot of nuances are lost from the book being condensed, especially the bridges between important events. It makes the many coincidences stand out rather unfavorably, and character development is sketchy at best. It is so handsomely mounted though (which helped it won both Best Art Direction and Cinematography). The film feels cinematic; the material must have been so easy to come off as stilted, but David Lean's direction brings energy to even a confined/normal set piece. Which makes the whole thing move along enjoyably enough. 7.5/10

But it wasn't what you hoped it would be? ;)

Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:45 am
Assistant Director

I opened the month of April with Teri Meri Kahaani, my second Bollywood film. Also, the last Bollywood film I'll be watching until my insulin titrates the sugar down to manageable levels.

This one is three similar stories, told with the same leads, about a young man attempting to win the heart of a beautiful girl in three distinct periods: 1960 Bombay, 1908 Bombay and 2012 London. There are misunderstandings, personal conflicts and a few musical numbers that look as if they are intended to double as promotional music videos. The running time was about 2 hours though it felt about triple that, so featherweight is the story and its execution. There is some chemistry between the leads though it's rendered mute by the hyperglycemic, desperate-to-please telling. I could see a 12-year-old American girl really being swept away by this. As that last sentence is something I don't wish to write more than once, I'm going to call my brief Bollywood phase a done deal.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:54 pm
Director

peng wrote:

The book is a solid read imo. As are most of Dickens' classics.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:57 pm
Director

Lone Survivor (2013)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1091191/
"USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!"
That was what I sort of thought I'd be getting going into this. To the films credit, it's not remotely what I got. The takeaway for me from this film is what a powerless and useless force the US Army has become - without the support of its airforce and nukes is the US military a force to be reckoned with? The film raises serious doubts. Instead of hunting Taliban, the team lead by Mark Wahlberg is hunted BY the Taliban - primarily due to ineptitude and failed technology of US military command. The film's title completely gives away what happens, and the headline billing gives away even the tiny modicum of WHO the survivor might be. Still sort of worth watching, if you're anti-US for whatever reason or like seeing an "elite" squad from world's so-called "only super power" get an ass-whopping from what are essentially Afghan hillbillies.
6.5/10.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:52 pm
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
Lone Survivor (2013)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1091191/
"USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!"
That was what I sort of thought I'd be getting going into this. To the films credit, it's not remotely what I got. The takeaway for me from this film is what a powerless and useless force the US Army has become - without the support of its airforce and nukes is the US military a force to be reckoned with? The film raises serious doubts. Instead of hunting Taliban, the team lead by Mark Wahlberg is hunted BY the Taliban - primarily due to ineptitude and failed technology of US military command. The film's title completely gives away what happens, and the headline billing gives away even the tiny modicum of WHO the survivor might be. Still sort of worth watching, if you're anti-US for whatever reason or like seeing an "elite" squad from world's so-called "only super power" get an ass-whopping from what are essentially Afghan hillbillies.
6.5/10.

I think you missed the point of the film entirely. It wasn't "anti-U.S." at all, and the film wasn't trying to blame technology or anything like that for what happened, and your use of the word "hillbillies" comes off as slightly racist. Sometimes bad things just happen due to bad luck, in this case
[Reveal] Spoiler:
everyone would've likely survived had they killed the herders they ran into so that they cold not give their positions away to the enemy

Anyone can be caught off-guard regardless of technology, underestimating the enemy is one of the biggest mistakes you can make as a soldier, the military learned that the hard way in Somalia.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:39 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 742, 743, 744, 745, 746, 747, 748 ... 821  Next