Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:21 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16842 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 741, 742, 743, 744, 745, 746, 747 ... 843  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Critic

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
nitrium wrote:
Seconds (1966)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060955/
Rock Hudson stars (although you don't see him for the first 40 minutes!) in this film directed by John Frankenheimer about rebooting ("rebirthing") your life. A shady organisation provides everything needed: a corpse and staged cause of death (so your old self isn't "missing"), extensive surgery, a new name, and new occupation - i.e. a whole new life. It's a great sci-fi concept, and the movie doesn't seem dated at all. The film is also surprisingly liberal with nudity, something that I wasn't expecting from a film this old - you'd almost think the film industry is more prudish now than it was back then. The shock ending will certainly linger in my mind for some time. A good watch - and remember, try to be happy with what you have ;-).
7.5/10.

Love this movie. So memorable

Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:37 pm
Producer

nitrium wrote:
Seconds (1966)
Rock Hudson stars (although you don't see him for the first 40 minutes!) in this film directed by John Frankenheimer about rebooting ("rebirthing") your life. A shady organisation provides everything needed: a corpse and staged cause of death (so your old self isn't "missing"), extensive surgery, a new name, and new occupation - i.e. a whole new life. It's a great sci-fi concept, and the movie doesn't seem dated at all. The film is also surprisingly liberal with nudity, something that I wasn't expecting from a film this old - you'd almost think the film industry is more prudish now than it was back then. The shock ending will certainly linger in my mind for some time. A good watch - and remember, try to be happy with what you have ;-).
7.5/10.

It's a great concept, but didn't love it. For me, it's too one-note. It's always depressing, and always to the same degree. The tone doesn't let up for a frame. I think it needed just a little more contrast and variation for the ending to pack a bigger punch.

Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:57 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
nitrium wrote:
Seconds (1966)
7.5/10.

Love this movie. So memorable

A number of the preoperation scenes that strongly reminded me of David Lynch (e.g. the surrealistic dream and quirky characters), and I wouldn't be at all surprised if this film inspired him. There is even a scene where some eccentric guy is talking about how good the chicken is - which instantly bought up images of Eraserhead.

Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:17 pm
Director

It's been years since I've seen Seconds. I think a rewatch is due.

Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:00 pm
Critic

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
It's been years since I've seen Seconds. I think a rewatch is due.

Its cinematography alone is worth a rewatch. Wooo for James Wong Howe

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:25 pm
Second Unit Director

Lunopolis

A direct to video that I watched on Netflix instant.

A found footage film about time travel and government conspiracies and such about people living on the moon. I found myself somewhat frustrated this, on an almost similar level to Rare Exports and for similar reasons. Although the problems are different, whereas Rare Exports took an interesting idea and then failed to develop it by not doing much of anything, Lunopolis took an interesting idea and failed to develop it by doing too many things completely unnecessary to that idea.

The kernel of an interesting idea in Lunopolis is what if the human history we know now had an alternative which was much, much more awful and people went back in time to "fix it" but this time travel thing didn't work out exactly as well as everyone hoped and caused alternative dimensions to develop and generally speaking many other problems. And what if you had the option to prevent the time travel from happening?

The extra details is where the film goes overboard on though, throwing in ideas about people living on the moon, atlantis, area 51, Roswell, some individual who becomes immortal (and becomes important to the main plot of the film as it turns out), a cult, a corporation and so on... It just becomes too much.

JB issues 2.5 stars to movies that are flawed but still might be worth seeking out for those interested in the subject matter, so that feels like the right rating here.
-Jeremy

Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:21 pm
Profile WWW
Director

thered47 wrote:
LunopolisJB issues 2.5 stars to movies that are flawed but still might be worth seeking out for those interested in the subject matter, so that feels like the right rating here.
-Jeremy

This sounds like my sort of film. I love conceptual films. Love them. Is this at least as good as Triangle or Time Crimes?

Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:52 am
Director

Seven Chances: amusing but slight Buster Keaton. This is the one where he's going to inherit $7 million (which admittedly, went much further in those days) if he gets married by 7:00 p.m. on his 27th birthday, which is, unfortunately, the very day he gets the announcement. He immediately proposes to the girl he loves, but she misunderstands the situation due to miscommunication (Keaton is pretty dense), so Keaton winds up proposing to just anyone. Eventually his well-meaning partner places an ad which announces that he Keaton will inherit a fortune if he gets married to just anybody, so hordes of women chase him through the streets. Meanwhile the girl of his dreams says yes, but he's being pursued by hundreds of fortune-hunters, so has a bit of a problem reaching her by the time limit.

Silent Keaton is never really bad, but he did much better than this minor film.

Last edited by Syd Henderson on Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:08 am
Director

And Then There Were None (1945)

This being one of my favorite books, I am glad I know about the crucial characters' altered dynamic and the changed ending beforehand, or I would be pretty livid. Even judging on its own, the ending still comes off very weak in how cheerful it feels. That said, the trade for cheery paranoia rather than claustrophobic tension may lessen the story and make its tone rather weird, but it is still enjoyable on some levels, with fun characters and great atmosphere. I'd like to see a serious treatment with that bleak ending some day though. 6.5/10

Birth (2004)

In some ways, Jonathan Glazer's Birth is better than his debut (Sexy Beast). He tempers down the exuberant style of that film to a steely gaze, but this proves to be a bit more captivating to me. The haunting tracking shot that opens the film is gorgeous and sets the tone to come. The use of empty space, quietly throbbing music, and intense close-ups make the drama feel like a horror film at times. All the performances suit the directorial style; Nicole Kidman is luminous and excellent as a portrayal of repressed grief. However, there are some turns of the story and characters' behaviors that are really hard to take, especially towards the end. They somewhat ruin the delicate mood that the film has been uneasily balancing throughout. 7/10

Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:09 am
Assistant Director

Hours One of Paul Walker's last films lies pretty much on his shoulders, as he gets to spend most of the film alone. Set in New Orleans, Walker takes his pregnant wife to the hospital in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. As the storm passes, power goes out, water rises, Walker is forced to do whatever it takes to protect his premature newborn girl, who has to be in a ventilator. Overall, the film wasn't spectacular, or maybe even not that good, but I still thought it was a solid effort. Relying mostly in Walker, he does shows more skills and range than I thought he had, but his performance is still a bit uneven. Plus, there were moments where I couldn't help but think that a more capable actor would've done wonders with. Still, the film proves you can make a simple premise into something moderately suspenseful and thrilling. Grade: B or B-

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:02 am
Profile WWW
Critic

peng wrote:
And Then There Were None (1945)

This being one of my favorite books, I am glad I know about the crucial characters' altered dynamic and the changed ending beforehand, or I would be pretty livid. Even judging on its own, the ending still comes off very weak in how cheerful it feels. That said, the trade for cheery paranoia rather than claustrophobic tension may lessen the story and make its tone rather weird, but it is still enjoyable on some levels, with fun characters and great atmosphere. I'd like to see a serious treatment with that bleak ending some day though. 6.5/10

Agree completely. I'm still waiting for the great And Then There Were None adaptation

Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:18 am
Producer

The 60s one, Ten Little Indians, is pretty entertaining, much better than the 1945 version.

Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:14 pm
Assistant Director

Thief12 wrote:
Hours One of Paul Walker's last films lies pretty much on his shoulders, as he gets to spend most of the film alone. Set in New Orleans, Walker takes his pregnant wife to the hospital in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. As the storm passes, power goes out, water rises, Walker is forced to do whatever it takes to protect his premature newborn girl, who has to be in a ventilator. Overall, the film wasn't spectacular, or maybe even not that good, but I still thought it was a solid effort. Relying mostly in Walker, he does shows more skills and range than I thought he had, but his performance is still a bit uneven. Plus, there were moments where I couldn't help but think that a more capable actor would've done wonders with. Still, the film proves you can make a simple premise into something moderately suspenseful and thrilling. Grade: B or B-

By some chance, I ended up watching yet another film about a lonely man fighting against things out of his control. All Is Lost features Robert Redford as a man stranded at sea, fighting for survival. With no other cast member and virtually no dialogue, it's surprising how much the film ended up grasping me with tension. Redford handles the job extremely well, and I was rooting for him all the time. Grade: a high B+

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Man on a Ledge

Okay, so this movie is basically one giant lapse in logic. But you know what? I found it entertaining enough to keep my attention. So there. This is nothing special, but I was working all day and it was a nice way to relax.

Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:44 pm
Director

After digging a bit, apparently there is a very faithful 1987 Soviet film adaptation of And Then There Were None, called Desyat Negrityat. Faithful to the point that the characters keep their English names, and the film still retains the n-word title and black dolls. And this review that it's superb both in atmosphere and ending has me really want to see it.

Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:18 pm
Director

Beloved Rogue: John Barrymore as François Villon, the famous 15th century French poet (Villon:France=Chaucer:England), in a swashbuckling adventure neat the beginning of Louis XI's reign. Actually, it's screwed up a bit. From internal chronology, it takes place in 1457 when it would have to have taken place between 1461 (when Louis ascended the throne) and 1463 (when Villon disappeared from public view).

Really a good film during the first hour, when Villon is at odds with the King (Villon hates the Duke of Burgundy, with whom Louis is not ready to break openly). During the last half hour, it gets pretty silly, but it also gives an alternate explanation as to why Villon disappeared. My own opinion is he probably drank himself to death, but that wouldn't make much of a movie.

Lots of snow, because Villon is famous for the line "Mais où sont les neiges d'antan?"("Where are the snows of yesteryear") which was stolen by Dante Rossetti.

What I don't understand is why Conrad Veigt chose to play Louis XI like he was Richard III, complete with hunchback.

(6.5 of 10, which is too bad because it was 8.0 at the one-hour point. Nice cinematography, by the way.

Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:50 pm
Critic

peng wrote:
After digging a bit, apparently there is a very faithful 1987 Soviet film adaptation of And Then There Were None, called Desyat Negrityat. Faithful to the point that the characters keep their English names, and the film still retains the n-word title and black dolls. And this review that it's superb both in atmosphere and ending has me really want to see it.

Dude, color me intrigued

Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:56 pm
Producer

Ghost World (2001)

Not bad at all. A film slight in actual events, but leaning successfully on the 3 key performances from Thora Birch (what they hell happened to her?), Scarlett Johansson, and Steve Buscemi.

Birch and Johansson play 2 girls - somewhat outsiders - who have just graduated from highschool, and who are forced to confront the boredom their directionless lives will inevitably bring.

Although not bone fide malicious, both of them are bitchy in that way highschool girls can be, and through replying fraudulently to a 'missed opportunities' letter in a lonely hearts column, they take lonely nerd Steve Buscemi for a bit of a ride.

There's some interesting themes at work beneath the deliberately placid direction. A film you could forget in on, even when you're in the same room as it - it does actually reward you for paying attention. Ghost World captures a sense of the of deep, apathetic boredom life in a small town can bring. Most importantly, the film is about how the girls (Birch in particular) come to learn about people through Buscemi's punch-drunken demeanour and self-imposed remoteness and from the rest of humanity. And she enables him to come out of his shell to a degree with her naïve lust for something more in life.

A quiet movie. But worth a viewing

Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:30 am
Auteur

What happened to Thora Birch was that her manager/father was an absolute nightmare to deal with, so she stopped getting roles because nobody could stand to be around him and she wasn't willing to fire him.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:45 am
Producer

Vexer wrote:
What happened to Thora Birch was that her manager/father was an absolute nightmare to deal with, so she stopped getting roles because nobody could stand to be around him and she wasn't willing to fire him.

That's sad. I think she had/has a buckets of talent.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:52 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16842 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 741, 742, 743, 744, 745, 746, 747 ... 843  Next