Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:46 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16010 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 736, 737, 738, 739, 740, 741, 742 ... 801  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Assistant Director

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Two movies but... which one to start this post on? Will it be Woody Allen's latest or the one I meant to watch when I watched The Way Way Back? I really don't know. Tell me.

*flips coin*

The Spectacular Now is 66.667% wonderful movie about a self-loathing teenage boy who hides himself in alcohol and the muffled voice that keeps telling him that he's unlovable and a destroyer of others when it's not telling him that he's the force behind life itself. This is an accurate depiction of someone we've run across many times be they classmates, alcoholics, that angry friend we stopped talking to when it became obvious they weren't edgy, they were unhappy. Not that Sutter is outwardly unhappy; he always says the right things in the right context, seems to have genuine positive feelings that influence his decisions. Because the movie is largely wonderful, it really doesn't take pains to underscore the tried elements and instead focuses on the relationship between he and a totally normal, very nice girl. For 66.6634533594068% of the movie, we get a sympathetic and moving story about two people meeting and how they unexpectedly challenge and complement one another. It's great.

Until Sutter gets in touch with his long-missing father. The following 33.330u81b4me% is a small series of fumbles that raise the question of whether a few reels had gone missing. Starting at the 60 minute mark, it became unclear what the movie was about. Gone were the nuances that made the Sutter character so interesting and in came the explanations for why he was as he was. There's a DOA subplot around finding the missing father, a extremely hasty series of events including a car accident, a graduation, a Greyhound to Philly and a better path chosen. The last third of the movie should have been the last half: it's as if editing needed to get wrapped and so everything got put into fast forward, never mind the cheating of that great first hour. I really liked that first hour enough to recommend this but it could have been better. Again: some of the last 30 minutes is just awkward. It does have one of the sadder moments I saw from Movies: 2013. That "all is forgiven" smile from Aimee after the car accident... rough moment.

You'll surely be grateful that I have less to say about Blue Jasmine, another mid-tier Woody Allen joint about rich people loving, fucking and losing with a sprinkle of mental instability thrown in because (a) Woody Allen doesn't write women very well and (b) Woody Allen doesn't really make interesting movies very often, at least not any longer. Some of his dialogue is so phony (Peter Saarsgard waxing nostalgic about *shuddervomit* "making love", something that Woody Allen characters do in lieu of fucking, sucking, licking, dicking, powerthrusting and having sex... it's always the vibrant romance. ScarJo goes on about 'making love' in V.C. Barcelona thereby proving beyond the shadow of a doubt that his characters just can't masturbate against one another's genitalia. It has to be perfect. It must be making love. Woody Allen of old was just to gauche to really sell how he felt about the golden vaginas he snuck inside) that it should be slapped from the mouths of his characters.

I won't pretend that I can't figure out why this was so critically acclaimed. There's the stuff of importance: mental illness, financial topicality, a good lead performance, some honest moments, a different structure to the story, so on. I thought the movie was silly and, more to the point (and to use a Reelviews favorite term), a fraudy fraud fraudoo. It's all so contrived: the son who bolts his Harvard education, the pill popping tragedy of Jasmine, the screwed-over family and just so much more. Some of his casting choices always seemed like kind of a stunt but here the presence of Andrew Dice Clay (who's actually pretty good in a small role) and Louis CK (who's not even used... was Tony Roberts Jr. unavailable for the bone throw?) is irritating, more an indication that the movie is mediocre celebration of Woodyness than anything anyone should actually celebrate. I'll continue seeing his movies but he's got to focus on something other than this middling half-human crap. Get back to comedy. Write around men because his vision of the ladies is always so unflattering and just totally wrong. Remember Melinda and Melinda? This was just as memorable and exciting as that one. Feh. If it had been written by Marvin Q. Hammerdong it would have been thought of as an inferior Woody Allen rip-off. Which is what it is, anyway.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:36 am
Director

The Lego Movie (2014)

Cleverly imbues its "product placement movie" objective with exhilarating creativity and awesome humor. Even the nagging criticism I have in the first half, the very frantic pacing that makes it hard to figure out the action sometimes (which is more than made up already by the film's tone), turns out to be justified and very lessened by the third act's reveal. Apart from being surprisingly deep, a heady comment on the compromise between order and creativity, that reveal manages to be very affecting as well. 9/10

Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:38 am
Critic

nitrium wrote:
Freddy Got Fingered (2001)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0240515/
I'm sure there is a market for what Freddy Got Fingered offers out there, but I'm not it. Tom Green plays (or is?) a sort of bizarre psychopath suffering from caricatures of both ADHD and Tourette Syndrome. Basically the film unfolds as a series of crazy manic over the top sketches/stunts (reminiscent of Jackass but minus the humour) held together by a paper thin story about a man pursuing his dreams of being an animator. The supporting cast all have the thankless role of enduring Green indulging in his unfunny masochistic schtick. I can't say I actually laughed at any of the "jokes", but I did smile at one point early on when he dressed himself in a fresh road kill deer carcass before getting hit by a truck. Freddy Got Fingered is a shit film, no doubt about it, but it is NOT the worst thing I've ever seen by any stretch - I'd rather watch this again than say Signs, Alexander or Pearl Harbor. Not that I'd voluntarily watch this again. Ever.
2.5/10.

You forgot to highlight the sequences where he pulls a baby out of a pregnant woman's stomach and spins it around his head by the umbilical cord. Or the scene where he uses an elephant penis to coat his father in elephant semen. Or the scene where his friend suffers a compound fracture in his knee and he licks the wound.

As such, I feel you have failed to do justice to the film. By the way if you haven't read Ebert's review yet, you must.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:55 am
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
nitrium wrote:
I'm sure there is a market for what Freddy Got Fingered offers out there, but I'm not it. Tom Green plays (or is?) a sort of bizarre psychopath suffering from caricatures of both ADHD and Tourette Syndrome. Basically the film unfolds as a series of crazy manic over the top sketches/stunts (reminiscent of Jackass but minus the humour) held together by a paper thin story about a man pursuing his dreams of being an animator. The supporting cast all have the thankless role of enduring Green indulging in his unfunny masochistic schtick. I can't say I actually laughed at any of the "jokes", but I did smile at one point early on when he dressed himself in a fresh road kill deer carcass before getting hit by a truck. Freddy Got Fingered is a shit film, no doubt about it, but it is NOT the worst thing I've ever seen by any stretch - I'd rather watch this again than say Signs, Alexander or Pearl Harbor. Not that I'd voluntarily watch this again. Ever.
2.5/10.

You forgot to highlight the sequences where he pulls a baby out of a pregnant woman's stomach and spins it around his head by the umbilical cord. Or the scene where he uses an elephant penis to coat his father in elephant semen. Or the scene where his friend suffers a compound fracture in his knee and he licks the wound.

As such, I feel you have failed to do justice to the film. By the way if you haven't read Ebert's review yet, you must.

It baffles me you people have so much time to watch such films. I find myself not having time to watch all the great films you people speak about, and here you people are discussing Freddy Got Fucking Fingered.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
nitrium wrote:
2.5/10.

It baffles me you people have so much time to watch such films. I find myself not having time to watch all the great films you people speak about, and here you people are discussing Freddy Got Fucking Fingered.

Why Balaji, I didn't know you had such a potty mouth!

In any case, I watched the movie as a teenager, assuming it was going to be like Road Trip.

It wasn't like Road Trip.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:24 pm
Producer

Perhaps I was at the right age, but I do think Tom Green is funny. He's a lot more subversive than he gets credit for.

That doesn't stop Freddy Got Fingered from being a federal disaster area of a movie, though. I suspect Freddy Got Fingered is another Tom Green prank, this time played on us. Of course it's an unbearable experience--it's custom-engineered to be that way, by someone who has made a living by causing unbearable things to happen to people.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:47 pm
Assistant Director

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:

Can you properly appreciate a good movie if you haven't fully appreciated a bad one? Actually I guess you could :lol: . Anyway, I sort of thought I might like it at some level. Didn't, and I was really trying too!
What I should have done in hindsight though is written a super positive review to annoy Mr. Kunz ;-).

Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:55 pm
Critic

nitrium wrote:
Balaji Sivaraman wrote:

Can you properly appreciate a good movie if you haven't fully appreciated a bad one? Actually I guess you could :lol: . Anyway, I sort of thought I might like it at some level. Didn't, and I was really trying too!
What I should have done in hindsight though is written a super positive review to annoy Mr. Kunz ;-).

You totally could have too. Actually that sounds like a fun film school requirement: write a bullshit essay in which you praise a terrible movie to the skies.

Requirements:
Must include the words "subversive," "underappreciated," and "progressive"

Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:05 pm
Producer

It is extremely easy to write a review with any slant you want. Play this up, play that down, take for granted that such-and-such characteristic is a good thing or a bad thing without arguing why, and so on. Rhetoric 101: know your content, know your audience, and suit the task to your needs.

Even great people do it. Just look up any instance of Chinua Achebe panning Heart of Darkness.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:59 pm
Producer

Ken wrote:
Perhaps I was at the right age, but I do think Tom Green is funny. He's a lot more subversive than he gets credit for.

That doesn't stop Freddy Got Fingered from being a federal disaster area of a movie, though. I suspect Freddy Got Fingered is another Tom Green prank, this time played on us. Of course it's an unbearable experience--it's custom-engineered to be that way, by someone who has made a living by causing unbearable things to happen to people.

I think i 'get' Green's humour. But its comitting to the big screen (as you basically say) is a probable contradiction of the Geneva convention.

It's like someone taking a shit in your mailbox. Funny for some hooligan out there, but the begining of the end of civilisation

Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:15 pm
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
Ken wrote:

I think i 'get' Green's humour. But its comitting to the big screen (as you basically say) is a probable contradiction of the Geneva convention.

It's like someone taking a shit in your mailbox. Funny for some hooligan out there, but the begining of the end of civilisation

I think that's a bit of an overreaction :lol:

Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:56 am
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
Ken wrote:

I think that's a bit of an overreaction :lol:

Yeah, NHG, the fuck is wrong with you? Seriously: what the hell, man? Listen, you bastard, don't be uncivilised. Be uncivilized. Because, once again in the history of this forum, don't go throwing down an S when you damn well know a Z is what the word needs.

Fuck. I can't believe I married you and all those other people in that Unification wedding.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:04 am
Assistant Director

Out of the Furnace (2013)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1206543/
A-listers galore (Christian Bale, Woody Harrelson, Casey Affleck, Zoe Saldana, Willem Dafoe, Forest Whitaker) in this slow-moving drama set in a poverty stricken steel mill town. The movie's main theme is probably revenge, but the story revolves around a down on his luck man (Bale) dealing as best he can with shitty circumstances dealt by family and friends, all compounded by a stint in prison after a drunk-driving accident. Not exactly an upper this one, and it all moves a bit too slowly. Rewarding watch nonetheless, with excellent performances all round (except maybe Whitaker, who always seems like he's on sedatives).
7/10.

Mark III wrote:
Yeah, NHG, the fuck is wrong with you? Seriously: what the hell, man? Listen, you bastard, don't be uncivilised. Be uncivilized. Because, once again in the history of this forum, don't go throwing down an S when you damn well know a Z is what the word needs.
Fuck. I can't believe I married you and all those other people in that Unification wedding.

NHG is correct on the spelling. You won't catch me using a fucking "z" when an "s" is clearly right. Also it's COLOUR.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:07 am
Producer

By using an S instead of a Z in this place, I proved that I could push the remits far beyond anything Green could ever dream of.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:04 am
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:

In any case, I watched the movie as a teenager, assuming it was going to be like Road Trip.

Oh you don't have to make excuses, Kunzo.

Anyway, in a way, Freddy Got Fingered is testament to our cultural superiority. Because if freedom is anything, it's the freedom to make films this bad. In her continuing (that is to say, endless) battle for hearts and minds, the ole US of A should be waving copies of this puerile piece of trash in the faces of the Iranian Ayatollahs and the psychopathic North Korean leadership saying "this is it, this is what boundless freedom and tolerance is. Tolerance is the freedom to make things this bad, and not be publically hung, drawn and quartered."

Freddy Got Fingered is an artistic travesty, but also evidence of our superior ideals on freedom of expression.

There you go, Kunzo. That's your Monday morning lesson taken care of.

That will be $600

Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:46 am
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Oh you don't have to make excuses, Kunzo.

Anyway, in a way, Freddy Got Fingered is testament to our cultural superiority. Because if freedom is anything, it's the freedom to make films this bad. In her continuing (that is to say, endless) battle for hearts and minds, the ole US of A should be waving copies of this puerile piece of trash in the faces of the Iranian Ayatollahs and the psychopathic North Korean leadership saying "this is it, this is what boundless freedom and tolerance is. Tolerance is the freedom to make things this bad, and not be publically hung, drawn and quartered."

Freddy Got Fingered is an artistic travesty, but also evidence of our superior ideals on freedom of expression.

There you go, Kunzo. That's your Monday morning lesson taken care of.

That will be $600

This is by far the most hilariously over-the-top post i've ever read on this forum :lol:

Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:55 am
Producer

Has someone de-activated your humour recognition software, Vex?

Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:38 am
Second Unit Director

Ender’s Game (2013)
After mankind narrowly avoided defeat against an invasion force of extraterrestrial bugs, the Earth’s military has taken to recruiting young teenagers into academies, where they play some sort of zero G rugby and learn how to command remote controlled space drones by training in sophisticated simulations. Young Ender Wiggin (Asa Butterfield) is identified as “the Chosen One” to finally end the war against the aliens and honed for command by the gruff Colonel Graff (Harrison Ford), a psychologist (Viola Davis) and the legendary war hero Mazer Rackham (Ben Kingsley). First, Ender has to endure a strict training regime and defend himself against various bullies, though.
At a cursory glance, ‘Ender’s Game’ shows all the signs of cheesy sci-fi shlock. It could have easily fallen into the trap of becoming “Teenagers vs. The Flying Saucers”. It is to the filmmakers’ credit that it doesn’t . The movie touches upon a lot of interesting ideas: What character traits are required for leadership? Do people behave differently in simulations than they do in reality? Is preemptive military action justified and to what extent? Is a teenage mindset (to remain vague in order to avoid spoilers) conducive to warfare? The ending is particularly remarkable because it runs contrary to Hollywood formula. And there are further positives, such as the good use of special effects: The zero gravity training room looks very realistic, the space battle sequences look more like CGI (which is appropriate for a simulation) and a computer game looks, well, like a computer game. And yet, ‘Ender’s Game’ isn’t really a good movie. As others have pointed out in the corresponding review thread, the movie is simply too short to do its ideas justice and to tell an engaging story. For instance, within five minutes from the start of the movie, there has been exposition about the alien invasion, an introduction of Harrison Ford’s and Viola Davis’s characters, Ender has been the victim of a bully at school, fights the bully and his mates and is thrown out of the teaching program as a consequence, Ender has a fight with his resentful brother, has a heart-to-heart with his love interest, has a talk with his parents , is recruited into an advanced teaching program and off to space. That’s not economy of storytelling,it’s hastily ticking off the required boxes. Indeed, the film rushes through events to such an extent that the whole timeline becomes confusing and that there is hardly any character development beyond the protagonist. Without having read the novel, I can only suspect that this is the result of trying to include too much plot from the novel into the movie, which is a frequent problem for literary adaptations. And the consequence of this rushed feeling is that the movie just isn’t very engaging. It’s a shame, really, because ‘Ender’s Game’ could have been magnificient and it is only better than average. 6/10

The Golem aka The Golem: How it came into the world (1920)
In 16th century Prague, Rabbi Loew (Albert Steinrück) is reading in the stars that harm will befall the Jewish ghetto, so he conjures a demon in order to help him create the Golem (Paul Wegener), a statue made of clay, which is animated by sorcery and supposed to protect the Jews. Indeed, soon the Emperor orders the eviction of the Jews from Prague, but changes his mind when the Empirial palace collapses and the Golem saves his life. While the Jews of Prague rejoice, Rabbi Loew is aware that the demon will demand a price for his aid in creating the Golem and decides to destroy it. He becomes distracted, though, and the Rabbi’s servant, who is jealous of a rival for the love of a woman, takes the chance to use the Golem for his own ends.
I rented this film in an abortive attempt to join Mark III in his quest to watch seven movies made before 1930m, which is a target I might reach in half a year or so. This silent classic is interesting for a numer of reasons: First, it is considered to be one of the prime examples of the German expressionist style, along with the better (known) ‘The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari’. Second, it is one of the earliest horror movies and a prototype for ‘Frankenstein’ and similar movies about artificial creatures brought to life. (Indeed, it would appear that ‘Frankenstein’ was inspired a little by ‘The Golem’). Third, this old movie is evidence for the fact that we tend to complain too much about modern cinema churning out too many sequels, prequels, remakes etc. Actor-Director Paul Wegener featured in two earlier Golem movies, both of which are considered lost, and this 1920 movie is actually the prequel to the first, which is set in modern times. Although these are mere trivia, I must admit that they probably made me appreciate ‘The Golem’ more than if I’d seen the film without any prior knowledge of it. Watching movies as old as this always makes me feel a little like discovering an ancient treasure, which is part of the appeal of silent movies for me. This is further enhanced on the DVDs released by the F.W. Murnau Foundation, which usually contain informative extras and information on the restoration of the movies. While these are a number of reason for my appreciation of ‘The Golem’, which are extraneous to the film itself, there’s also plenty to like about the actual movie. Like in pretty much all German expressionist movies, which I’ve seen, ‘The Golem’ features a number of memorable, even iconic images and sequences. I also think that the style is particularly suitable for horror movies or fantasy films, because it doesn’t even try to look realistic, actually quite the contrary, which gives these movies a nightmare-ish feeling. As for the story of he movie, I will concede that it is simplistic, but that’s just fine for a silent movie of barely 90 minutes. I liked the look and atmosphere very much, which, in this case, is all that matters to me. 8/10

Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:01 am
Critic

Unke wrote:
Ender’s Game (2013)
After mankind narrowly avoided defeat against an invasion force of extraterrestrial bugs, the Earth’s military has taken to recruiting young teenagers into academies, where they play some sort of zero G rugby and learn how to command remote controlled space drones by training in sophisticated simulations. Young Ender Wiggin (Asa Butterfield) is identified as “the Chosen One” to finally end the war against the aliens and honed for command by the gruff Colonel Graff (Harrison Ford), a psychologist (Viola Davis) and the legendary war hero Mazer Rackham (Ben Kingsley). First, Ender has to endure a strict training regime and defend himself against various bullies, though.
At a cursory glance, ‘Ender’s Game’ shows all the signs of cheesy sci-fi shlock. It could have easily fallen into the trap of becoming “Teenagers vs. The Flying Saucers”. It is to the filmmakers’ credit that it doesn’t . The movie touches upon a lot of interesting ideas: What character traits are required for leadership? Do people behave differently in simulations than they do in reality? Is preemptive military action justified and to what extent? Is a teenage mindset (to remain vague in order to avoid spoilers) conducive to warfare? The ending is particularly remarkable because it runs contrary to Hollywood formula. And there are further positives, such as the good use of special effects: The zero gravity training room looks very realistic, the space battle sequences look more like CGI (which is appropriate for a simulation) and a computer game looks, well, like a computer game. And yet, ‘Ender’s Game’ isn’t really a good movie. As others have pointed out in the corresponding review thread, the movie is simply too short to do its ideas justice and to tell an engaging story. For instance, within five minutes from the start of the movie, there has been exposition about the alien invasion, an introduction of Harrison Ford’s and Viola Davis’s characters, Ender has been the victim of a bully at school, fights the bully and his mates and is thrown out of the teaching program as a consequence, Ender has a fight with his resentful brother, has a heart-to-heart with his love interest, has a talk with his parents , is recruited into an advanced teaching program and off to space. That’s not economy of storytelling,it’s hastily ticking off the required boxes. Indeed, the film rushes through events to such an extent that the whole timeline becomes confusing and that there is hardly any character development beyond the protagonist. Without having read the novel, I can only suspect that this is the result of trying to include too much plot from the novel into the movie, which is a frequent problem for literary adaptations. And the consequence of this rushed feeling is that the movie just isn’t very engaging. It’s a shame, really, because ‘Ender’s Game’ could have been magnificient and it is only better than average. 6/10

Well said. The movie isn't bad, it's just not good enough. I did like seeing Harrison Ford doing a role that didn't make me feel angry or embarrassed though

Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:04 am
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:
Unke wrote:
Ender’s Game (2013)

Well said. The movie isn't bad, it's just not good enough. I did like seeing Harrison Ford doing a role that didn't make me feel angry or embarrassed though

What on Earth do you mean?

Attachment:
Ford.JPG
Ford.JPG [ 48.57 KiB | Viewed 288 times ]

Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:18 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16010 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 736, 737, 738, 739, 740, 741, 742 ... 801  Next