Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:59 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 735, 736, 737, 738, 739, 740, 741 ... 807  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Director

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Quote:
It's a fascinating movie, my favorite kind of "weird flick."

yeah its 'weirdness' has stuck with me. are you planning on seeing Moonrise? good Borzage noir.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:20 pm
Assistant Director

Half-watched The Pirates! Band of Misfits as they adventure in science with scientists or scientist singular because it's just Charles Darwin. Aardman claymation has hit greatness at least once (Wrong Trousers) but what they do mostly passes through me like so much baking soda. I haven't been enjoying most of what I've been watching of late so it could be that I'm just burned out on movies rather than Pirates! being a boring sack of something. Whatever.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:39 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

I just finished watching some low budget horror film called In Fear, I enjoyed it. Definitely not for everyone, but if you like psychological horror you'll most likely enjoy this film as much as I did. It loses steam towards the end, but the twist (which is pretty sadistic) makes up for it. It reminded me of another Indie-British film, Eden Lake (which I also enjoyed). That film is more of a thriller while this film is more horror, but I recommend both of them. =) Now onto watching some flick called Cheap Thrills, trailer was interesting, but I'm not sure what to expect though haha.

Last edited by Convictions on Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:26 pm
Assistant Director

Convictions wrote:
I just finished watching some low budget horror film called In Fear, I enjoyed it. Definitely not for everyone, but if you like psychological horror you'll most likely enjoy this film as much as I did. It loses steam towards the end, but the twist (which is pretty sadistic) makes up for it. It reminded me of another Indie-British film, Eden Lake (which I also enjoyed). That film is more of thriller while this film is more horror, but I recommend both of them. =) Now onto watching some flick called Cheap Thrills, trailer was interesting, but I'm not sure what to expect though haha.

You had me until you got to Eden Lake, among the bottom five movies I've seen. I have a soft spot for horror and so will be checking it out. That's what got me to watch All The Boys Love Mandy Lane, a movie featuring actors and actresses. Can all movies boast this? Nay, nay they caint.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:03 pm

Mark III wrote:
Convictions wrote:
I just finished watching some low budget horror film called In Fear, I enjoyed it. Definitely not for everyone, but if you like psychological horror you'll most likely enjoy this film as much as I did. It loses steam towards the end, but the twist (which is pretty sadistic) makes up for it. It reminded me of another Indie-British film, Eden Lake (which I also enjoyed). That film is more of thriller while this film is more horror, but I recommend both of them. =) Now onto watching some flick called Cheap Thrills, trailer was interesting, but I'm not sure what to expect though haha.

You had me until you got to Eden Lake, among the bottom five movies I've seen. I have a soft spot for horror and so will be checking it out. That's what got me to watch All The Boys Love Mandy Lane, a movie featuring actors and actresses. Can all movies boast this? Nay, nay they caint.

I remember being angry at the ending of Eden Lake, but I still enjoyed it. I liked this film better though, some really nice scares and the twist is so cruel, I had this stupid smile at the end of the film because I wasn't so sure how to react. Haven't seen that film yet, I'll try and catch it soon.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:02 pm
Auteur

Convictions wrote:
Mark III wrote:
Convictions wrote:

I remember being angry at the ending of Eden Lake, but I still enjoyed it. I liked this film better though, some really nice scares and the twist is so cruel, I had this stupid smile at the end of the film because I wasn't so sure how to react. Haven't seen that film yet, I'll try and catch it soon.

I liked Eden Lake but did not care for the ending one bit, it just did not work for me and felt incredibly contrived, certainly wouldn't put it in the bottom five films i've seen(you need to see a truly awful horror film like the One Missed Call remake, now that's bottom five material for sure).

Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:09 pm

Quote:
I liked Eden Lake but did not care for the ending one bit, it just did not work for me and felt incredibly contrived, certainly wouldn't put it in the bottom five films i've seen(you need to see a truly awful horror film like the One Missed Call remake, now that's bottom five material for sure).

Agreed. Yea, One Missed Call was pretty bad. All the Japanese remakes were bad, but I remember disliking that one more so than some of the others.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:33 pm
Assistant Director

It was actually the ending to Eden Lake, the one we all agree was horrible, that guaranteed its position in the bottom. Had it ended five minutes earlier, I would have just hated it and moved on.

I won't be seeing the American retread of One Missed Call or Pulse or any of the others that were perfectly at home in their native countries and tongues.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:34 pm
Auteur

Mark III wrote:
It was actually the ending to Eden Lake, the one we all agree was horrible, that guaranteed its position in the bottom. Had it ended five minutes earlier, I would have just hated it and moved on.

I won't be seeing the American retread of One Missed Call or Pulse or any of the others that were perfectly at home in their native countries and tongues.

For me an ending alone isn't enough to put a film in the bottom five, otherwise "The Mist" would be quite low on my list.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:48 pm
Director

House on Haunted Hill

William Castle was something else. He never made movies that would be considered good by any stretch of the imagination, but his work was always full of imagination, and his promotional gimmicks were even more full of imagination. The story of House on Haunted Hill is basic: A wealthy but eccentric man offers five people $10,000 to spend the night in a haunted house...and the fun begins from there. This is just campy enough to be entertaining, and it's short, so it doesn't overstay its welcome. Plus, it has Vincent Price, whose presence always elevates the material. If you like cheezy B-flicks, this is one to watch.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:51 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
Mark III wrote:

For me an ending alone isn't enough to put a film in the bottom five, otherwise "The Mist" would be quite low on my list.

I still love The Mist's ending. I think it ties the story together in a pretty logical way, albeit a pretty bleak way.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:56 pm

Vexer wrote:
Mark III wrote:

I remember watching the The Mist and not enjoying it until the ending came, that ending was so horrifically twisted that it actually saved the movie for me. I was glad I stuck with it till the end, but I can see why some people might not have liked it haha.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:19 pm
Auteur

Convictions wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Mark III wrote:

I remember watching the The Mist and not enjoying it until the ending came, that ending was so horrifically twisted that it actually saved the movie for me. I was glad I stuck with it till the end, but I can see why some people might not have liked it haha.

I just thought the ending was incredily stupid and didn't come across as the least bit believable, the book's ending was better by comparison, it just felt like Darabont was trying way too hard to be "shocking", but it failed miserably.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:35 pm

Convictions wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Mark III wrote:

Oh fucking The Mist. I saw that when I was not having the best feelings in humanity and was looking for escape. You guys (Reelviews decades ago) were saying what a great horror film it is so I jump in. And fuck me that ending.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:41 pm
Assistant Director

A bad ending isn't enough to turn me against any movie but a bad ending to an already bad movie may be enough for me to consider that movie among the worst I've seen. Eden Lake was bad but then the end was insulting, borderline offensive. The Mist was nearly charming and pretty fun until the end that begs to be ignored. Begs for it. We've been over this territory many times in the past five years. I know some people like that movie and they have perfectly valid reasons for liking it. I don't mind watching people get tortured (I'm a fan of Hostel and a fan of parts of Hostel 2) but Eden Lake was shameful in its message, attempting to tether globalization and tragic parenting on what could never be so easily explained. Fuck that stupid message and the ending that wanted me to really mull it over. Have you hugged your sociopath today?

Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:53 am
Director

I could see The Mist ending a different way but I liked it. The fear was just too powerful.

Grand Budapest Hotel

Pretty good Wes flick. Darker, more violent than his earlier films, but still relatively light. Very adult, which I liked. I can see what his thesis is. Reminds me a bit of Lubitsch. It's a very messy movie, but the zaniness also keeps it moving. It's nice and offbeat compared to his borderline too mainstream Moonrise Kingdom. It won't earn him new fans anymore than Burn After Reading did for the Coens. But very much worth seeing.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:08 am
Director

calvero wrote:
Quote:
It's a fascinating movie, my favorite kind of "weird flick."

yeah its 'weirdness' has stuck with me. are you planning on seeing Moonrise? good Borzage noir.

Yeah I'll check that out soon. Any other good weird flicks to recommend? I just saw another one:

3 Days to Kill

A little uneven, but overall it's a wonderfully strange, existential, offbeat action movie. Strong acting, the cinematography is absolutely outstanding. Also hilarious in some spots, moving in others. Yes, it's quite campy, and that'll put some people off, but I loved it. Bold and mysterious, I could definitely imagine a man of Costner's age having a warped fantasy involving Amber Heard in tight outfits, protecting his daughter from sexual predators, and rescuing himself from his own mortality. It's an extension of the secretly perverse fantasy in Taken.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:10 am
Director

The Long Day Closes (1992)

JB gave this two stars, which must be one of my most utter disagreements with him. A movie with no narrative and minimum characterization, The Long Day Closes plays like fragments of half-forgotten childhood memories. The main character, a boy on the brink of adolescence, goes through many unconnected story segments: school, church, a fair with family, sexual confusion, and so on. It is intensely personal, visually lyrical, and a total success. This would be a great companion with The Tree of Life; Terence Davies certainly has the visual flair to rival Malick here (his use of dissolves is amazing). But instead of using boyhood as a jumping point for exploring the universe, Davies uses it for self-examination and evoking an enveloping sense of powerful nostalgia. The sumptuous visual, combining with gentle use of music, create a rapturous effect. Even far removed from the time and culture of Davies' childhood, I couldn't help but recall the feeling of many lazy afternoons of my own: hazy, confused, but often relaxed and without a care in the world then. 10/10

Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:40 am
Assistant Director

The Best Offer (2013)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1924396/
Well-acted film about an wealthy aging art and antique auctioneer (Geoffrey Rush) who falls for a young woman suffering from severe agoraphobia. The relationship builds reasonably convincingly (although the age difference is marked), but just when you're getting comfortable with the idea we get the dreaded twist. The twist imo is the downfall of The Best Offer, and requires a truly enormous suspension of disbelief that is far beyond where I am capable of going:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
How did they know he had a secret art stash to steal in the first place? His purchases were always conducted through a 3rd party (Donald Sutherland) - so you'd think they should have been targeting that guy! Further, the level of planning is so insanely elaborate and relies on multiple unknowns (renting a HUGE mansion from a dwarf (who also conveniently does not divulge anything to Virgil, even though he sees her daily) and filling it with antiquities and art they got from, errr, somewhere - none of which was reported stolen apparently, given it was all meticulously catalogued by Virgil) - with absolutely zero guarantee Virgil was going to take the bait (which also includes him finding "parts" of the autonamon which he conveniently takes to the very conman who put them there to reassemble)!

Anyway, it's still overall a fairly enjoyable film if you can somehow look past the lame totally unbelievable twist.
6.5/10.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:22 pm
Assistant Director

Freddy Got Fingered (2001)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0240515/
I'm sure there is a market for what Freddy Got Fingered offers out there, but I'm not it. Tom Green plays (or is?) a sort of bizarre psychopath suffering from caricatures of both ADHD and Tourette Syndrome. Basically the film unfolds as a series of crazy manic over the top sketches/stunts (reminiscent of Jackass but minus the humour) held together by a paper thin story about a man pursuing his dreams of being an animator. The supporting cast all have the thankless role of enduring Green indulging in his unfunny masochistic schtick. I can't say I actually laughed at any of the "jokes", but I did smile at one point early on when he dressed himself in a fresh road kill deer carcass before getting hit by a truck. Freddy Got Fingered is a shit film, no doubt about it, but it is NOT the worst thing I've ever seen by any stretch - I'd rather watch this again than say Signs, Alexander or Pearl Harbor. Not that I'd voluntarily watch this again. Ever.
2.5/10.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:51 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 735, 736, 737, 738, 739, 740, 741 ... 807  Next