Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:10 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 721, 722, 723, 724, 725, 726, 727 ... 820  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Critic

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Mark III wrote:
nitrium wrote:
Jagten (The Hunt) (2012)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2106476/
Excellent and superbly acted Swedish film vividly portraying why you'd have to be out of your mind if you pursue an occupation that involves children if you happen to possess a Y chromosome.
9/10.

First: I'm not picking on you, guy who calls himself 'nitrium'. Yours is the first post I found on this movie outside of the 'Monsters Makes Art' thread and I didn't want to opine therein.

Second: while The Hunt was extremely well-acted and otherwise good, I found the whole thing a bit shallow where it needed to really grasp for realism. One would think, especially given the country in which the movie takes place, that our protagonist would seek official help in these matters; it was almost as if his incredulity was evidence enough. Surely he would have sought legal help, no? This was an educated man but he becomes less human as the story progresses, ending up as a metaphor. While we're on the topic of credulity: the town was fairly speedy in revising their opinions and moving toward barbarism. The film was clearly trying to make a point about how people desire blame (possibly even tragedy in order to exonerate themselves for whatever domestic sickness they're responsible for) but, as things moved along, it felt that everything had been constructed for the sake of this point. Too engineered to be great (Lucas nearly had angel wings sprouting from his shoulders), The Hunt was only decent. I had hoped it would be something more.

I'm kinda with you. I liked it, but it was a bit shallow

Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:20 pm
Producer

It's been in my NetFlix que for weeks.

Not yet been in the mood

Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:24 pm
Director

Mark III wrote:
nitrium wrote:
Jagten (The Hunt) (2012)
Excellent and superbly acted Swedish film vividly portraying why you'd have to be out of your mind if you pursue an occupation that involves children if you happen to possess a Y chromosome.
9/10.

First: I'm not picking on you, guy who calls himself 'nitrium'. Yours is the first post I found on this movie outside of the 'Monsters Makes Art' thread and I didn't want to opine therein.
Too engineered to be great (Lucas nearly had angel wings sprouting from his shoulders), The Hunt was only decent. I had hoped it would be something more.

I disagree. For example Lucas goes back into that store where he is lynched and gives a very solid "Liverpool kiss" to the main perpetrator - hardly something an angel would do. This film is not at all unrealistic imo. There was in fact a VERY similar case here in NZ a number of years ago, and the man involved spent the better part of 8 YEARS clearing his name... and the death threats, lynchings, mud-slinging is all part and parcel of this particular crime. What The Hunt might have got wrong from a realism viewpoint was that Lucas decided to STAY in the community that loathed him - that is certainly pig-headed, but then again moving might also have been seen as an admission of guilt - damned if you do, damned if you don't, but I know I wouldn't have stayed. If you work with children you are one accusation away from having not only your career, but your entire life ruined.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:40 pm
Assistant Director

nitrium wrote:
Mark III wrote:
nitrium wrote:
Jagten (The Hunt) (2012)
9/10.

Too engineered to be great (Lucas nearly had angel wings sprouting from his shoulders), The Hunt was only decent. I had hoped it would be something more.

I disagree. For example Lucas goes back into that store where he is lynched and gives a very solid "Liverpool kiss" to the main perpetrator - hardly something an angel would do. This film is not at all unrealistic imo. There was in fact a VERY similar case here in NZ a number of years ago, and the man involved spent the better part of 8 YEARS clearing his name... and the death threats, lynchings, mud-slinging is all part and parcel of this particular crime. What The Hunt might have got wrong from a realism viewpoint was that Lucas decided to STAY in the community that loathed him - that is certainly pig-headed, but then again moving might also have been seen as an admission of guilt - damned if you do, damned if you don't, but I know I wouldn't have stayed. If you work with children you are one accusation away from having not only your career, but your entire life ruined.

My point was that Lucas was incontrovertibly innocent of even a stray negative thought. Busting a man's nose is not exactly sweet-tempered but it surely could be something an angel is capable of; pushed to the brink by recrimination, not allowed to live his perfectly innocent life... angels have been known to strike out against injustice.

While we're talking about that scene, let me be the guy that ropes in Funny Games and how, for all that movie didn't do for me, at least had the courtesy to withdraw any option of catharsis for the audience. Lucas busts a nose so that we the audience may breathe a little easier. How cheap.

I'd most especially like to address the statement "If you work with children you are one accusation away from having not only your career, but your entire life ruined" by telling you that this is completely, totally and massively untrue. The problem with the situation isn't the child that makes the accusation -- she says something that any irritated kid could say, uses words that she doesn't really comprehend the meaning of -- but that she's taken seriously and, like any kid, sticks to her story when she observes that people want it to be true. I'm sure we agree. Finding that level of dangerous fear in a reasonable adult is surprisingly difficult to find. These adults leapt upon it like they were waiting.

And hey, I work with children. Not exclusively with children but I see them now and again, several times a week, as part of the job. The situation that Lucas goes through never crosses my mind. It doesn't cross the mind of pediatrician friends, for what it's worth. I suppose you're correct in some global sense that, if a child says something mean-spirited and meant to damage an adult, it could really do the trick. Children aren't really like that, though. Not 99.9999% of them.

Similarly, one's life is possibly entirely ruined when a woman decides to fabricate a story about being raped by a particular individual. If one works with women (or drinks with them, or smashes them, or what the hell ever else with them... as if they're good for anything else! AM I RIGHT?! AM I RIGHT FELLAS?! Sorry. Undermining my point.) then one is one accusation away from having their career and life ruined. Why doesn't this happen more often?

Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:26 pm
Assistant Director

JamesKunz wrote:
thered47 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
I really didn't like Salvation at all. It tried to do that thing where you reboot and stay canon at the same time, and I don't think it works at all. For instance, why is John Connor so important in this universe? He's a mid-tier officer who doesn't really distinguish himself in any real way. Why must we destroy him from existence?

I got the sense that he was definitely more important than the higher ups, and he does distinguish himself by being the voice of the resistance that inspires everyone else. That's why no one attacks skynet at the end until he gives the order to do so. And it's definitely pretty clear the he knows what he's doing more so than the higher ups, who walk into the most obvious trap imaginable. Skynet didn't need to explain what it's plans were to anyone but the audience - the "shutdown signal" might as well have had "this is a tracking device to find resistance headquarters" written all over it. Remember how it was John who at least suggested they should check to make sure it works in the field before going big with it?

Yeah, okay, he's a capable officer. But how is he the savior of humanity who's worth going back in time for to kill? The story we're told in movie one is that everyone is living in concentration camps (or dead) and that John Connor leads a rebellion and teaches humanity how to fight back. He's a singular person, a messiah (note the initials!) not a better-than-typical officer

I think they were just showing him as a "rising" officer that was set to become the leader we've heard about. The film was just setting the foundation for him to really rise up, what with all the top brass killed in the submarine. I suppose that if Salvation had been successful, the sequels would've focused on that eventual rise to total leadership.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:13 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Thief12 wrote:

I think they were just showing him as a "rising" officer that was set to become the leader we've heard about. The film was just setting the foundation for him to really rise up, what with all the top brass killed in the submarine. I suppose that if Salvation had been successful, the sequels would've focused on that eventual rise to total leadership.

Yeah but come on, humanity clearly has their shit together. They have armies, weaponry, chains of command. In no way does the viewer get the impression that John Connor is essential enough to build a whole timeline/movie around.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:21 pm
Director

Mark III wrote:
While we're talking about that scene, let me be the guy that ropes in Funny Games and how, for all that movie didn't do for me, at least had the courtesy to withdraw any option of catharsis for the audience.

Am I the only person here who actually liked Funny Games?

Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:31 am
Assistant Director

Speaking of games and funny, a little more catching up with two (or more?) movies that have little in common with Haneke's searing commentary on audience bloodlust.

The Lords of Salem -- Robert Zombinski follows up his attempt at the Big Time with yet another throwback to 70s-flavored horror, a simple tale about a coven of witches and woman who more or less falls into their clutches. This model of filmmaking, wherein a somewhat talented filmmaker takes all of the familiar parts of yesteryear and assembles them in the exact same way as the films of yesteryear, needs a rest. Quentin Tarantino might pay homage but at least his stuff has creative spark, even when it isn't working. New packaging and attitude, at worst. Salem isn't very good because it aims just too low: making a throwback horror movie (Argento palette and everything) might be fun but you wouldn't know it from the evidence on screen. It's humorless, silly and surprisingly badly-acted given just how straight this material is getting played. I found it mediocre but others have liked it.

You're Next -- Excruciating Indie Guy in-joke (just check out the cast list... good gravy) that runs through the home invasion grist mill. You've seen it before. There's a small taste of domestic drama in the first act but this is jettisoned for a number of reasons: there are too many characters to develop any one of them into an interesting person, the movie is something of a comedy and thus can't sustain too much psychodrama, and the guys shooting arrows through the cast have no real interest in letting the more exciting premise develop. I disliked it and, after reading Slant's hilariously generous review, moved into contempt. It's pretty bad.

April Fool's Day -- from 1986. Cute movie around a house party that eventually turns bloody when it appears that the girl throwing it has slipped into madness. I predicted the end thanks to the really obvious clue offered by the title but it was so harmless, so quaintly Ten Little Indians that I give it a mild pat on the rump. It was better than those other two up there.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:25 am
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
Mark III wrote:
While we're talking about that scene, let me be the guy that ropes in Funny Games and how, for all that movie didn't do for me, at least had the courtesy to withdraw any option of catharsis for the audience.

I thought I was the only person here who didn't like the film.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:59 am
Assistant Director

nitrium wrote:

Vexer wrote:
I thought I was the only person here who didn't like the film.

Attachment:
4f82556195299913c504f8c14f013133eab23cece4c485b0f4b6a2c80c4b4614.jpg
4f82556195299913c504f8c14f013133eab23cece4c485b0f4b6a2c80c4b4614.jpg [ 54.21 KiB | Viewed 180 times ]

Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:24 am
Second Unit Director

12 Years a Slave (2013)

Steve McQueen's adaptation of the memoirs of Solomon Northup, a free man who was kidnapped and sold into slavery, rivets the attention as much as it moves the heart. Chiwetel Ejiofor's performances is every bit worthy of the praise it has gotten so far. Along with DiCaprio's turn in TWoWS, I would say it is the joint-best male performance of 2013. Lupita Nyong'o is equally good, if not better, in a supporting role as the object of desire of Michael Fassbender's Edwin Epps. The latter continues his streak of delivering great performances with a stunning portrayal of a truly complex man. I was reminded of Ralph Fiennes' Amon Goeth from Schindler's List. The scene where he lashes Nyong'o's Patsy is one of the film's best. (To digress a bit, this is the first film with full-frontal nudity to be cleared by our censor board here. They felt that cutting these scenes would've taken away from the film itself, which is completely true. But it is still heartening to see such a scenario in our conservative country.)

However, for all the praise the film has gotten, I have my gripes with it. My biggest issue is that the film has no sense of the passage of time. How long does Solomon spend at the house of Benedict Cumberbatch's William Ford? How long was he in Washington before he was drugged and sold to slavery? How long did he spend at Edwin Epps' home? How long was he cutting sugarcanes? None of these questions are answered. And if they are provided to me by visual cues, I just didn't pick up on them. As a result, when the finale comes, I was not sure how long he had really struggled. In fact, if the film wasn't named "12 Years" a Slave, I would've thought this was a relatively short period of time of a few years or so. It is only in the climax that Solomon appears truly old and you get a sense that a lot of time has passed since he was kidnapped. My other gripe is that one of the betrayals Solomon suffers could be seen coming from a mile away. For one, it is too early in the film for him to actually be free. For other, I just knew that he would be betrayed.

Having said all that, this is the only 2013 film to make me cry, and I think the reason is that Solomon's overall struggles still felt real. Sean Bobbit's cinematography was exquisite, and it is a travesty that Gravity gets a nomination ahead of this film. Hans Zimmer's background score is effective, but it felt to me like he was reusing his own material. In particular, the one piece that repeatedly plays was so familiar that I racked my brain until I figured out that I'd heard it before in Inception, but the overall score wasn't particularly memorable. McQueen perfectly treads the line between reality and exploitation and always stays on the right side of it.

Overall, I would still say 12 Years a Slave is a great film, and one that everyone should see. But when I sit down to create a list of 2013's great films, it would definitely rank lower in my book.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:51 am
Profile WWW
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

Yeah but come on, humanity clearly has their shit together. They have armies, weaponry, chains of command. In no way does the viewer get the impression that John Connor is essential enough to build a whole timeline/movie around.

He's basically the second coming. Cinema is hardly subtle in peddling this trope.

In the often ridiculous but actually not that bad T3, he's just a bum who is chosen by a higher power. This is important, it gives us plebs the fantasy that some day we might be chosen to save mankind ... on entirely non-meritocratic grounds.

And this is hardly original. Think Neo in the Matrix - and no doubt numerous others.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:54 am
Director

Quote:
12 Years a Slave (2013)

Steve McQueen's adaptation of the memoirs of Solomon Northup, a free man who was kidnapped and sold into slavery, rivets the attention as much as it moves the heart. Chiwetel Ejiofor's performances is every bit worthy of the praise it has gotten so far. Along with DiCaprio's turn in TWoWS, I would say it is the joint-best male performance of 2013. Lupita Nyong'o is equally good, if not better, in a supporting role as the object of desire of Michael Fassbender's Edwin Epps. The latter continues his streak of delivering great performances with a stunning portrayal of a truly complex man. I was reminded of Ralph Fiennes' Amon Goeth from Schindler's List. The scene where he lashes Nyong'o's Patsy is one of the film's best. (To digress a bit, this is the first film with full-frontal nudity to be cleared by our censor board here. They felt that cutting these scenes would've taken away from the film itself, which is completely true. But it is still heartening to see such a scenario in our conservative country.)

However, for all the praise the film has gotten, I have my gripes with it. My biggest issue is that the film has no sense of the passage of time. How long does Solomon spend at the house of Benedict Cumberbatch's William Ford? How long was he in Washington before he was drugged and sold to slavery? How long did he spend at Edwin Epps' home? How long was he cutting sugarcanes? None of these questions are answered. And if they are provided to me by visual cues, I just didn't pick up on them. As a result, when the finale comes, I was not sure how long he had really struggled. In fact, if the film wasn't named "12 Years" a Slave, I would've thought this was a relatively short period of time of a few years or so. It is only in the climax that Solomon appears truly old and you get a sense that a lot of time has passed since he was kidnapped. My other gripe is that one of the betrayals Solomon suffers could be seen coming from a mile away. For one, it is too early in the film for him to actually be free. For other, I just knew that he would be betrayed.

Agreed about the passage of time. Some directors have mastered the epic pacing, McQueen still needs to work on it. Also glad someone else was bothered by the betrayal to which you refer; that was absolutely ridiculous and it's the one device used in the movie that makes me wonder about the motives of the filmmakers. The Schindler's List connection is starting to bother me though. I think people read too much into that similarity. I also feel that McQueen is going for a kind of escalation here, where each evil figure Solomon encounters is worse than the last. But if that's indeed what he was going for, I find it unconvincing. Cumberbatch's character is still a scumbag in every practical sense, no matter how sorry he feigns to be. Fassbender is evil, but really no worse than Giamatti, Dano, the whipper in the beginning, or even his kidnappers. Fassbender may be crazier, but I really think the movie starts to stagger a bit once he's introduced. It has nowhere left to go.

Also, why is the dialogue so flowery and eloquent? And there's times when McQueen's direction isn't quite up to the task. The stabbing of the man on the ferry...that just felt awkwardly executed from a purely filmic standpoint. It looked forced.

I dunno, I didn't hate the movie. I actually liked it way more than Lincoln. But it's the work of a director who has room for improvement in his craft.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:45 am
Producer

The thing that's put me off watching 12 years so far isn't the subject matter or the violence, but McQueen himself.

It may be unfair to judge a Director from one film, but the turgid borefest of Shame was so completely pretentious and pointless that it led me to a hasty conclusion about the guy's entire MO.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:00 am
Producer

If I judged a movie from it's director, I never would have seen Funny Games.

Edit: Er, never mind. I didn't read your whole post. Your talking about his resume, not him personally. Forget my post.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:02 am
Producer

ilovemovies wrote:

Some Directors branch out very well, fair enough.

But Shame gave me what I perceived not only to be an insight into his method, but a fashion for a certain kind of really dull film dressed up as something important.

Granted, slavery is more important than "sex addiction", but I question whether this guy (a graduate of fine art apparently) can tell a story or not.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:05 am
Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

But Shame gave me what I perceived not only to be an insight into his method, but a fashion for a certain kind of really dull film dressed up as something important.

Granted, slavery is more important than "sex addiction", but I question whether this guy (a graduate of fine art apparently) can tell a story or not.

You should see 12 Years, which poses an interesting dilemma in that sense. The story is there, but McQueen's style had no effect on me one way or another. Positive or negative. I found myself simply following the story, but that's probably in spite of his directing, not because of it. I felt I was mostly just following the script.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:15 am
Producer

MGamesCook wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

You should see 12 Years, which poses an interesting dilemma in that sense. The story is there, but McQueen's style had no effect on me one way or another. Positive or negative. I found myself simply following the story, but that's probably in spite of his directing, not because of it. I felt I was mostly just following the script.

The problem is, I sometimes feel I'm too busy to watch certain films. And by certain films, I'm not referring to the subject matter, but the style and presentation.

If 12 Years is even fractionally like Shame, it'll feel like trying to gain an erection whilst led face-down naked ... in the North Pole.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:20 am
Critic

nitrium wrote:
Mark III wrote:

I think Funny Games is a masterpiece and I frankly don't understand how others don't

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:26 am
Director

RoboCop (1987)

Another childhood one rewatched and reasserted. I might not be a fan of all its aesthetics, but it's impressive how much social commentary the film manages to pack in without missing one beat of a grand ol' action film. Reveling in excess while openly condemning it must have been a tricky task for Verhoeven, and he nails it perfectly. 8.5/10

Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:10 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 721, 722, 723, 724, 725, 726, 727 ... 820  Next