Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:15 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 707, 708, 709, 710, 711, 712, 713 ... 809  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
What should I watch next?: Inside Llewelyn Davis or Her?

Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:12 am
Cinematographer

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013)

Safe envisioning of the daydreamer Walter Mitty as played by, and directed by, Ben Stiller. Never saw the original film, though I have read the short story (which merely serves as an inspirational starting point). There were some nice touches of humor and I agree with JB that parts of the movie stretched on for a bit too long and some of the plot points were fairly predictable. But I liked it. It was disposable and non-threatening, and displayed a good deal of heart. While some of the scenery is very nice indeed, you can probably wait to watch this one at home. (Actually, you may not have much of a choice since it appears to be disappearing from multiplexes now.) 3.0 / 4.0

Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:35 am
Director

Her (2013)

The deliberate pacing reminds me of a Korean romantic drama, but the story and style is all Jonze. Underneath the high concept sci-fi settings, its affection for characters and their relationships are earnest and non-judgmental. Joaquin Phoenix is sincerely heartfelt, but Scarlett Johansson feels so incredibly alive, with nothing more than a voice to work with. It's hard to describe the effects the film has on me, really; just that it has my feelings in its grip at all time. 9.5/10

Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:00 am
Second Unit Director

American Hustle (2013) - 3.5 out of 4

In the midst of an Oscar season filled with the usual dramatic fare comes David O'Russell's American Hustle to remind me why I began watching films in the first place: to be utterly entertained. Not that I don't mind or enjoy the more serious films we get in December and January, it just seems to me that sometimes we lose sight of the fact that having fun and being entertained are also perfectly good reasons to visit movie theaters. And they're also perfectly good reasons why a director may choose to make a film. There really is nothing more to American Hustle than that. It doesn't aim high, unlike Scorsese's The Wolf of Wall Street, which has its sights set on dismantling the very notion of the American Dream. David O'Russell primarily means to entertain his audience, and from what I saw, I'd say he did that. American Hustle is just about the most fun I've had in a movie theater in 2013.

Of course, I don't mean to say there's nothing more to Hustle than mere entertainment. Superficially, it is one of the most stylish films I've seen in 2013. The talk of the town is has O'Russell out-Scorsesed Scorsese with this film. And while I don't want to get into that discussion, I'd say O'Russell has borrowed a lot of Scorsese's stylistic flourishes to extremely good effect. From the distinctive tracking shots to the usage of rock 'n' roll music, American Hustle has all the vintage Scorsese trademarks. In fact, when you consider how important rock music is in critical scenes in the film and how O'Russell uses them to establish the mood and pacing, one could say that Hustle looks and feels like a beautiful homage to Martin Scorsese (and more specifically Goodfellas), though I am pretty sure David O'Russell didn't intend it that way. However he may have intended it, there's no denying that Hustle is a brilliantly executed piece of filmmaking with a style that is all its own.

The script, which O'Russell co-wrote with Eric Warren Singer, is laced with wit and humor. And when combined with the deadpan delivery from his actors, there are scenes which will have you laughing uncontrollably. But what I also liked was the film's moral compass, and the dichotomy of Bale and Cooper's characters. Irving maybe on the wrong side of the law, but he has a strong moral core and believes in what Carmine is doing. And while Richie is on the right side of the law, his motivations are purely personal. He wants to be seen as the heroic FBI agent who pulled off the sting operation of the century. In the end, it is this hubris that blinds him and leads to his downfall.

So far, the two O'Russell films I've seen (The Fighter and Silver Linings Playbook) have been actor's playgrounds, and Hustle is no different. Christian Bale once again sinks his teeth into the role. His dedication to his craft is frightening and borders on the insane. The film opens with a flashy shot of Bale's humongous pot belly, which he supposedly grew for this film, and it is brought up a couple of times later as well. Bale is expected to provide the moral center for the film, somebody the audience can latch on to, and he does it flawlessly. His facial expressions and body language tell you that he feels uneasy about the operation. He is also terrific in scenes such as the one where he tears into his wife for letting her mouth lose, where he confesses his love to Sydney, and especially the scene where he breaks down to Mayor Carmine for the part he played in the operation. And what I especially loved about this performance was how it didn't call attention to itself which is something Bale has been guilty of in the past; there was a subtlety to it which I appreciated. It may not win the Academy Award this year, but it is a great performance, and no less than what I've come to expect from Bale these days.

Amy Adams has become one of the front-runners in the Oscar race for Best Actress, and deservedly so. Adams has really let loose in the past couple of years. She's always been a great actress, but The Fighter was one of the first films where she truly got in touch with her bad girl side. The Master was a similar role, and she does it again in another O'Russell film. She is deliciously steamy as Sydney, providing the perfect foil to Irving and Bale. Jennifer Lawrence, fresh off her Oscar success last year, is perfectly cast as the passive-aggressive Rosalyn. I ended up absolutely loathing her character, which means Lawrence did a great job. Cooper's got the least showy role, and it is perfectly serviceable performance. I also loved Louis CK's supporting role as Richie's boss. I've always wondered how he'd fare on the big screen, and to my surprise, he held his own against a lot of seasoned actors. Though how much of my love for his performance came because it was actually good and how much of it was because he is Louis CK, I'll never know.

Judging by the amount of awards American Hustle has already won, and the number of categories it has been nominated for in the Oscars, it is safe to say that most people loved it as much as I did. It is still too early to say whether it will feature among the top of my personal year-end lists, but there's no doubt that Hustle is a damn-perfect entertainer, and one of the most enjoyable films to come out in 2013.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:07 am
Profile WWW
Critic

JJoshay wrote:

Her. For sure.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:33 am
Cinematographer

JJoshay wrote:

You should definitely see both at some point, but I would go with Inside Llewyn Davis first. With its lack of Oscar nominations, it has less of a chance to stick around in theaters than the Best Picture-nominated Her.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:41 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Revisiting one of my favorite films today... Syriana is such a tour-de-force of great performances, directing, and writing. Every time I see this film, I find myself more mesmerized by everything in it. Not much else I can say. Grade: A+

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:13 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Wolf of Wall Street

Fucking hell.

Peurile, immoral .... but funny, a slick, quick 3 hours ... and for some reason I really, really wanna snort coke off a hooker's ass.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:52 pm
Second Unit Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
Wolf of Wall Street

Fucking hell.

Peurile, immoral .... but funny, a slick, quick 3 hours ... and for some reason I really, really wanna snort coke off a hooker's ass.

That would be fucking awesome. I tried to in Vegas at the Rhino but the stripper wouldn't let me:( Since when do strippers have a thing against nose candy?

Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:57 pm
Assistant Director

Ginger Snaps Interesting take on the werewolf sub-genre. I don't think it was a masterpiece, but I enjoyed it. Perhaps a tad overlong, and a bit uneven on its tone. But still, I liked it. Grade: B

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:47 pm
Profile WWW
Director

In the House (2013)

A teacher finds one student's disturbing essays of how he is inserting himself into the home life of his friend. However, the attempt to stress empathy into the student only makes the teacher himself become obsessed with the continuing essays, and even go as far as suggesting how the student can alter the "story" in the essays further. One of those "slow train-wreck" viewing experiences, François Ozon's film deftly explores voyeurism both as a serious subject and as a meta-commentary on the nature of writer, audience, and authors' responsibility itself. However, although the two central performances are capably realized, especially that of Ernst Umhauer's troubled teenager Claude, one half of the equation (the teacher's character) is maybe a tad too implausible and unpleasant for me that he distracted from the film often. Still a thought-provoking and thrilling watch. 7.5/10

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure (1985)

Can't believe I have not seen this before. It works brilliantly as an inventive live-action cartoon, but damn if some of Pee-Wee's early appearance and mannerism aren't slightly nightmare-inducing, along with clowns, images like store with hellish red glow, and Large Marge. Many absolutely hilarious one-liners and scenes though. 8.5/10

Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:22 am
Director

Quote:
Wolf of Wall Street

Fucking hell.

Peurile, immoral .... but funny, a slick, quick 3 hours

Not trying to make assumptions, but could it be a TV thing? I know that some people partake in TV binges, watching episodes back to back for hours on end (something I can never do). Not accusing you of that, but wondering if some fans of this movie have a higher tolerance because they do. For me, Wall Street felt like a prison term; it was torturous, slow, and felt like it would never end.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:01 am
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
Wolf of Wall Street

Fucking hell.

Not trying to make assumptions, but could it be a TV thing? I know that some people partake in TV binges, watching episodes back to back for hours on end (something I can never do). Not accusing you of that, but wondering if some fans of this movie have a higher tolerance because they do. For me, Wall Street felt like a prison term; it was torturous, slow, and felt like it would never end.

I can watch TV episodes back to back for a few hours depending on the show. But I just can't sit in a dark theater for 3 hours, 2 and a half hours is already pushing it, any more and I would fall into a deep coma. Wolf Of Wall Street looks like the type of film that i'll have to watch in multiple sittings in order to get through it.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:23 am
Second Unit Director

I hate hate hate taking a break while watching a movie. I won't watch movies with people who are up and down throughout it to grab food or take a piss. I think most movies lose a great deal of just about everything if you stop in the middle. I like to give my undivided attention to what's going on.. I don't enjoy it nearly as much if I'm not fully invested.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:19 am
Auteur

Gedmud wrote:
I hate hate hate taking a break while watching a movie. I won't watch movies with people who are up and down throughout it to grab food or take a piss. I think most movies lose a great deal of just about everything if you stop in the middle. I like to give my undivided attention to what's going on.. I don't enjoy it nearly as much if I'm not fully invested.

I like being able to take a break, I really don't see how a film "loses" anything if you pause it.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:46 am
Producer

Some films have a momentum that you just can't break, even if it's a longer film... but not all, maybe not even most. A lot of films have points that are actually very logical where you might stop it for a moment, go take a dump/check the mail/cook some tater tots/whatever, then resume once you're ready to jump back into that world.

We touched awhile back on the long-lost movie intermission, wherein a film doesn't just have a logical pausing point, but makes it official to the world.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:54 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

'Her' (Jonze, 2013) **** out of ****
Well if this isn't the best film of the year I don't know what is. More on this when it's not three in the morning.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:02 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
Wolf of Wall Street

Fucking hell.

I can watch TV episodes back to back for a few hours depending on the show. But I just can't sit in a dark theater for 3 hours, 2 and a half hours is already pushing it, any more and I would fall into a deep coma. Wolf Of Wall Street looks like the type of film that i'll have to watch in multiple sittings in order to get through it.

What the hell is wrong with you guys?

Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:18 am
Producer

I had no problem sitting through it, though I confess I was checking the clock in the theatre starting about 90 minutes in. Still one of the better films of the year.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:45 pm
Auteur

roastbeef-Nothing's wrong with us, What's wrong with you? :? Not of all us have the patience to sit in a theater for three hours, it's like JB said in one of his Reelthoughts articles(paraphrasing slightly) "after three hours, even the most comfortable theater seats start to feel cramped".

Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:30 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 707, 708, 709, 710, 711, 712, 713 ... 809  Next