Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:17 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15657 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 704, 705, 706, 707, 708, 709, 710 ... 783  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Assistant Director

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
You're Next (2011/2013)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1853739/
Enjoyable little horror film about a family reunion (mother, father, 3 sons, 1 daughter and all all their spouses) in a remote location that turns into a nightmare when the home is invaded by masked psychopaths. I didn't recognise anyone in this film, so it was initially fun figuring out who was going to live and who was going to die (it becomes obvious pretty quickly). There are also a few twists along the way of course. The film is massively helped by a protagonist that turns the tables on the intruders by not being totally stupid and thoroughly making sure when villains are taken down they DEFINITELY stay that way. Better than most of the numerous films in the home invasion horror genre and doesn't take itself too seriously. MovieBob even has it as No. 5(!) on his Best of 2013 list.
7/10.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:33 pm
Critic

ilovemovies wrote:
All is Lost - ** out of ****

Didn't work for me. It failed to immerse me the way Gravity was able to. It's well made, great looking and Redford's charisma is undeniable. That said if Redford wins the Oscar, it'll be a career Oscar. I just didn't think there was anything special about his performance here. This movie would have worked better as a short. Too thin for a feature.

I don't know how you can give a movie a ** if it's well made and you have no major criticisms

Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:16 pm
Second Unit Director

The Wolverine

Nice followup to the X-Men mythos and does a good job dealing with and addressing the baggage created by X-Men 3. Nice focus on character development, particularly Wolverines. Also, let me add my voice to the chorus of how awesome the rooftop train sequence is. The only drawbacks are that for people who haven't seen any of the previous movies, some material (such as why Jean Grey is showing up in his dreams) might not make much sense and the fact that Hugh Jackman shows up in Days of Future Past kind of killed the suspense a little. 3 out of 4 stars.
-Jeremy Redlien

Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:04 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
All is Lost - ** out of ****

Didn't work for me. It failed to immerse me the way Gravity was able to. It's well made, great looking and Redford's charisma is undeniable. That said if Redford wins the Oscar, it'll be a career Oscar. I just didn't think there was anything special about his performance here. This movie would have worked better as a short. Too thin for a feature.

I don't know how you can give a movie a ** if it's well made and you have no major criticisms

I gave it ** because it's at best, just mildly diverting but does get rather dull at times, failed to keep my interest for it's entirety and is rather repetitive. It's not terrible, there's nothing remotely special about the movie.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:21 pm
Director

Kronk's New Groove

The sequel to The Emperor's New Groove, I didn't find this as fun or involving as the first film. Fortunately, it's short...but there's nothing remarkable here.

Last Tango in Paris

A remarkable film, featuring two unbelievable performances. Maria Schneider said she felt violated by the film, which is a shame, because her performance is intimate, vulnerable and affecting. Marlon Brando turns in one of the finest performances of his career, which says a lot. His monologue with his wife is heartbreaking. This isn't a film for everyone, but I do think time has dulled some of its controversial aspects.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:51 pm
Second Unit Director

The Act of Killing (2012) 3.5/4

It’s difficult to put such a shocking experience into words. The Act of Killing, directed by Joshua Oppenheimer, feels like the first time you plunge a fork into a grounded electrical socket—the sensation is nothing short of electrifying-- it certainly doesn’t feel good, but it’s memorable and you’re sure that it’s unlike anything you have ever experienced before. With that said, The Act of Killing is certainly a film that I never see myself wanting to revisit, but that’s not a bad thing—its not a bad thing because Oppenheimer creates a devastatingly effective portrait of warped political ideals and the (literally) haunting power of cinema, and in doing so he strikes a bone that surpasses that fork-to-electricity feeling. There’s no denying that The Act of Killing takes on a very cold tone throughout its 1st and 2nd acts, and it makes viewing of such volatile subject matter even harder to digest—yet the feelings of joy, the grins that form on the face of the old executioner, Anwar Congo, could evoke nothing other than cold-heartlessness. In this sense it is important to remember, in many ways, this is not Opeenheimer’s film per se; the reigns of control and reenactment are handed to Congo to do with as he pleases—to essentially form and recreate memories of brutality and genocide. Interestingly, The Act of Killing completely throws away commonly used form and structure of the traditional documentary feature, and for that it seems largely experimental. Yet this is an experiment in the genre that is steaming with value and creativity, even though said creativity is admittedly sinister at times. With that said, The Act of Killing works as an experimental documentary; it’s fully fleshed out and boiling over with substance (unlike another experimental documentary that was released this year *cough cough* Leviathan). However pinning down all of the messages and themes within The Act of Killing proves to be an interesting task. For my money, this is a film that looks at youth and patriotism, skewed government ideals that encourage "action" against the "enemy," and reflection as a whole. Oppenheimer has truly crafted a film that looks into the heart of darkness while questioning if such darkness is inherent or levied. While Oppenheimer analyzes what makes Congo and his comrade’s tick it seems that the director takes liberties with their reasoning. This reasoning, at times, seems to have some sort of connection to American cinema. In this regard, it seems that Oppenheimer is stating that the viewing of American made mob films made it easier for these individuals to commit their crimes—a reasoning, regardless of how slight it may be, that never sat well with me. Although, Oppenheimer's use of cinema to reveal the heinous atrocities committed in Indonesia is nothing short of brilliant. As the executioners praised the mob film for its depiction of violence and freedom, the reenactment and viewing of their own film garners a much different reaction. In short, The Act of Killing is a film that needs to be seen; a ride that needs to be taken. This is a film that has, arguably, reinvigorated a sometimes-lukewarm genre, giving filmmakers and viewers a great example of working outside of the ordinary box.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:34 pm
Second Unit Director

Her ****

Initial thoughts in "Recent Reviews" section. Damn.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:13 am
Cinematographer

Black Sunday (1977)

Robert Shaw is an Israeli intelligence officer (known in the ranks as the "final solution") who stumbles upon an unspecific threat of an attack against the United States by the Black September terrorist organization; the same group behind the Munich attack in 1972. The story is split 50/50 between the 2 months of planning the attacks by Black September operative Dalia (Marthe Keller) and her American co-conspirator, a disgruntled Vietnam veteran (Bruce Dern) who is a pilot for the Good Year fleet of blimps, and Shaw's efforts to track down the terrorists and suss out what their intended target is, that year's Super Bowl game at the Orange Bowl in Miami.

Director John Frankenheimer (The Manchurian Candidate) keeps the tension fairly high throughout as the game of cat and mouse goes on. There are some nice touches throughout the film, but there's also a lot of dead space as well. There are a few really long shots that kind of upset the pacing, but this was kind of "the thing" for some directors in the 70's. A lot of it feels quite dated and some of the special effects shots towards the end involving one of the blimps and the stadium are kinda lame.

However, it's nice to see a bit of reality in the proceedings as Frankenheimer was, amazingly, allowed to shoot much of movie during Super Bowl X including Robert Shaw hanging out on the sidelines looking for threats and running around the stadium, bits of game action between the Cowboys and the Steelers (they have some pretty good shots of actual turnovers and touchdowns), and the national anthem featuring Up With People(!). The image conscious NFL would NEVER allow something like this today.

Black Sunday is based on the novel by Thomas Harris, who would go on to write the novels that would feature Hannibal Lecter.

While the movie was released several years after the Munich Olympics, it does predate the Iranian hostage crisis, the Beirut bombing, and of course, 9/11. I would have to think that for most Americans, the events that take place in this movie would have seemed as far-fetched as other "disaster epics" of the era like Eathquake, The Towering Inferno and Airport '77. A good diversion, but there were a couple too many plot contrivances and dated film techniques for me to get totally into it. 2.5 / 4.0

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:30 am
Second Unit Director

Un Flic/ Dirty Money (1972)
A police detective (Alain Delon) hunts the gang responsible for a bank robbery. He doesn't suspect that his friend, a nightclub owner (Richard Crenna), is the leader of the gang and plans an even more spectacular heist, and he falls in love with the nightclub owner's mistress (Catherine Deneuve).
Stylistically, 'Un Flic' resembles the other late 60ies/early 70ies crime thrillers movies by acclaimed French director Jean-Pierre Melville ('Le Samourai', 'Le Cercle Rouge'). The frames look somewhat empty and a certain symmetry is emphasised by clear vertical and horizontal lines, which are visible in the modernist buildings and office interiors, for instance. The characters generally don't speak a lot and most of their inner workings are conveyed by visual means. The pacing is very deliberate, which works well in the expertly crafted suspense scenes. The colour palette is mostly of a blueish gray. It's a style which I like very much, but which might easily provoke boredom in others, particularly in this movie. Because the characters don't talk, it is easy to get confused about the relationship of the policeman, the nightclub owner and the moll. The characterisation of Alain Delon's police detective also suffers from a lack of dialogue, because he doesn't have many scenes in spite of the movie's title, which translates as "A Cop". He remains an enigma and is much less interesting than the robbers. The central set piece suffers from technical limitations and very obvious model work, although it is otherwise constrcuted very well. The narrative is nothing special either; it's a standard cops and robbers movie. So while I personally think that Melville's style elevates this generic thriller to a good movie, others will probably find it mediocre at best. 7/10

Yellow Submarine (1968)
When the Blue Meanies occupy Pepperland, the Yellow Submarine sets out to get help from John, Paul, George and Ringo, the members of a Liverpudlian beat combo.
Whether you'll like this animated Beatles movie or not will depend on your level of appreciation for the Fab Four's music and your interest in 1960ies psychedelia. I like both and also liked the style of animation, which resembles Terry Gilliam's animated bits in the Monty Python TV series, and is pretty unique and bizarre. There isn't much of a story and what story there is is totally bonkers, but 'Yellow Submarine' works if you take it as a feature length music video of famous Beatles songs, connected by weird vignettes. That being said, if you don't like the Beatles and couldn't care less about the style, you might find 'Yellow Submarine' one of the worst movies ever. I had a good time watching it. 7/10

Vampire's Kiss (1988)
Peter Loew (Nicolas Cage) is a publishing executive in New York, who is slowly going insane. He is terrorising his secretary at work, regularly sees a psychiatrist and spends his evenings in bars looking for one night stands. One night, a woman (Jennifer Beals) bites his neck. He starts to believe that he is turning into a vampire and, pardon the pun, goes batshit crazy.
The premise of the movie is quite interesting and could be the subject of a proper horror movie, similar to George Romero's 'Martin'. It could also serve as the basis for a serious look at the psychological disintegration of a person suffering from delusions. Using vampirism as a metaphor for a manager sucking the lifeblood from his employee's is quite clever, too. Yet, ultimately, all discussion of which approach the filmmakers intended to take and whether they were successful (they weren't) is absolutely meaningless, because Nicolas Cage galumphs over all sense the filmmakers may have had when they set out to do the movie by delivering a gloriously deranged performance, which is in a category all of its own. You don't know the meaning of "over the top", unless you've seen Cage in this movie. This isn't overacting anymore, it is a grotesque piece of performance art, worthy of an award. Any award. This demands to be seen. I am serious: Cage is hugely entertaining, albeit perhaps not for the reasons the filmmakers intended, and although his performance it sort of disconnected from this movie - perhaps even disconnected from the very fabric of reality - it is great fun to watch. The good thing ist: You don't even have to see the whole movie, which isn't actually good, just search for the compilation "Nicolas Cage losing his shit" on Youtube. The best bits are from this film. 6/10

Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:09 am
Critic

Johnny Larue wrote:
Black Sunday (1977)

Robert Shaw is an Israeli intelligence officer (known in the ranks as the "final solution") who stumbles upon an unspecific threat of an attack against the United States by the Black September terrorist organization; the same group behind the Munich attack in 1972. The story is split 50/50 between the 2 months of planning the attacks by Black September operative Dalia (Marthe Keller) and her American co-conspirator, a disgruntled Vietnam veteran (Bruce Dern) who is a pilot for the Good Year fleet of blimps, and Shaw's efforts to track down the terrorists and suss out what their intended target is, that year's Super Bowl game at the Orange Bowl in Miami.

Director John Frankenheimer (The Manchurian Candidate) keeps the tension fairly high throughout as the game of cat and mouse goes on. There are some nice touches throughout the film, but there's also a lot of dead space as well. There are a few really long shots that kind of upset the pacing, but this was kind of "the thing" for some directors in the 70's. A lot of it feels quite dated and some of the special effects shots towards the end involving one of the blimps and the stadium are kinda lame.

However, it's nice to see a bit of reality in the proceedings as Frankenheimer was, amazingly, allowed to shoot much of movie during Super Bowl X including Robert Shaw hanging out on the sidelines looking for threats and running around the stadium, bits of game action between the Cowboys and the Steelers (they have some pretty good shots of actual turnovers and touchdowns), and the national anthem featuring Up With People(!). The image conscious NFL would NEVER allow something like this today.

Black Sunday is based on the novel by Thomas Harris, who would go on to write the novels that would feature Hannibal Lecter.

While the movie was released several years after the Munich Olympics, it does predate the Iranian hostage crisis, the Beirut bombing, and of course, 9/11. I would have to think that for most Americans, the events that take place in this movie would have seemed as far-fetched as other "disaster epics" of the era like Eathquake, The Towering Inferno and Airport '77. A good diversion, but there were a couple too many plot contrivances and dated film techniques for me to get totally into it. 2.5 / 4.0

The novel's fucking terrific. The movie, yeah, not so much

Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:37 pm
Second Unit Director

Beginners ***1/2

This was really fascinating. I loved the quirky style and rapid animations. All the performances were pretty moving, and I think the movie does a good job at being honest and fighting cliches. I loved the back and forth timeline elements and thought they were edited together pretty perfectly. They let you in on the right information at the right time. Really impressed with this one.

P.S. Throw Melanie Laurent into my "can't resist" category from now on. She's a dime.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:41 pm
Producer

Unke wrote:
Yellow Submarine (1968)
Vampire's Kiss (1988)

I have to say that this is a fascinating combination of viewing choices.

I have this maxim about the Beatles, which is similar to my maxim about pizza or dogs. It's not that you're definitely a psychopath if you don't like them, but it's on the list of indicators.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:03 pm
Auteur

Ken wrote:
Unke wrote:
Yellow Submarine (1968)
Vampire's Kiss (1988)

I have to say that this is a fascinating combination of viewing choices.

I have this maxim about the Beatles, which is similar to my maxim about pizza or dogs. It's not that you're definitely a psychopath if you don't like them, but it's on the list of indicators.

Guess you can call me psychotic then, as while I can appreciate the Beatles for how revolutionary they were at the time and their huge influence on music in general, they're songs just don't really do anything for me.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:37 pm
Producer

I know, Vexer. You don't have to tell us these things anymore.

And I didn't say "psychotic". That's a different thing.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:27 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
I know, Vexer. You don't have to tell us these things anymore.

And I didn't say "psychotic". That's a different thing.

Heh, so true. I mean, in the interests of time Vexer, you might as well only sound off when you actually agree with a critical consensus. And in the other cases we'll just assume that everything popular, from adorable puppies to The Beatles to Pulp Fiction, didn't impress you much

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:31 pm
Director

Ken wrote:

Everybody has a favorite Beatles song. Mine is "And Your Bird Can Sing."

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:07 pm
Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Ken wrote:

Everybody has a favorite Beatles song. Mine is "And Your Bird Can Sing."

My pick: She Said She Said. I remember writing the lyrics to it on my English notebook in 12th grade.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:50 pm
Critic

I'm going to head off a "What's your favorite Beatles song" conversation right now. There's an Open Forum if anyone wants to pursue it

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:52 pm
Assistant Director

JamesKunz wrote:
I mean, in the interests of time Vexer, you might as well only sound off when you actually agree with a critical consensus.

Hey! That's my M.O. around here! Find a different one! :twisted:

Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:10 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
Guess you can call me psychotic then, as while I can appreciate the Beatles for how revolutionary they were at the time and their huge influence on music in general, they're songs just don't really do anything for me.

Yep me too. Vexer and I, psychopaths both. Everyone better watch the fuck out!

Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:34 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15657 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 704, 705, 706, 707, 708, 709, 710 ... 783  Next