Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:49 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 700, 701, 702, 703, 704, 705, 706 ... 840  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
nitrium wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I thought that too, at first - and really it is the only semi-logical explanation. But at the end the lone survivor hitman shoots Skerrit (off-screen). Why would the guy you hire shoot someone else shoot YOU?! Further there is no evidence that Skerrit knows where Bob's hideout was - from the film it seemed only the cop had suspicions about that. And Skerrit actually hugs Bob when they first meet (post-escape) - not something you do with someone you later send hitmen out to execute.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
All of that is true, and thus makes it rather baffling in terms of narrative/stroyline. Although I don't place a whole lot of emphasis on that hug (i.e. Judas betrayed Jesus with a kiss, gangsters sometimes show love right before they do someone in, etc). Also, during the shootout scene Bob asks the assailants, "Who are you?" and through mumbled dialogue it seems that one of the men says, " This is about you and the girl." Of course that could mean a variety of things---perhaps the men have come back to take out Bob because of a past crime that he and Ruth committed against their boss or maybe it can be tied back to Skerrit like we first thought--yet as you mentioned that brings up a lot of questions that don't make complete sense

Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:00 pm
Critic

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Hi everyone! I haven't seen the movie, but I wanted to participate too!

Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:37 pm
Director

JackBurns wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Although I don't place a whole lot of emphasis on that hug (i.e. Judas betrayed Jesus with a kiss, gangsters sometimes show love right before they do someone in, etc).

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Yeah, but see if Skerrit really wanted Bob dead that bad, he could have killed him right there an then (during the hug), with a simple knife to the back, or a quick slit of the throat. He has his gun out in the final scene (where he's been shot), so we know he's prepared to "go there" - and he certainly would be if he managed to find not one, not two, but THREE hard as nails hitmen to do the dirty on his behalf. I have a sinking feeling the hitmen were a sort of deux ex machina - in this case to bring closure to the frankly paper-thin narrative.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:52 am
Second Unit Director

nitrium wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Yeah, but see if Skerrit really wanted Bob dead that bad, he could have killed him right there an then (during the hug), with a simple knife to the back, or a quick slit of the throat. He has his gun out in the final scene (where he's been shot), so we know he's prepared to "go there" - and he certainly would be if he managed to find not one, not two, but THREE hard as nails hitmen to do the dirty on his behalf. I have a sinking feeling the hitmen were a sort of deux ex machina - in this case to bring closure to the frankly paper-thin narrative.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I can certainly see that, but I don't think Skerrit is presented as a man who does things himself. It seems he would be much more keen on getting someone else to do his bidding. But I'm with you, the questions that linger here only hinder the narrative.

Side note: It's possible some of the explanation got cut. I've heard that the film was chopped down after its festival run, but who knows?

Last edited by JackBurns on Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:14 am
Producer

This page looks like a document obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request.

-

I watched The Anderson Tapes. I thought I'd mention it here, though I did my writeup in the Christopher Walken thread.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:16 am
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
This page looks like a document obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request.

-

:lol:

Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:18 am
Second Unit Director

'Escape from New York' (Carpenter, 1981) *** out of ****
A lesser Carpenter film (at least until the mid '90s) is still a good one, and Escape from New York's influences on dystopian future features is undeniable. The actors and the story are fun, the tone dark but playful; no standout masterpiece but it sure beats the hell out of...

'Escape from L.A.' (Carpenter, 1996) *.5 out of ****
After a shaky start I was almost convinced that L.A. might find some way to improve upon its predecessor. It had a bigger budget and some funny bits (Bruce Campbell as the Surgeon General of Beverly Hills gave me a good laugh) but the longer it went the more it showed it was simply content copying New York with an added sense of "humor". If they hadn't done so before my eyes glazed over around the surfing scene with Peter Fonda.

'Empire of the Sun' (Spielberg, 1987) **** out of ****
Another excellent evaluation of innocence lost and an intriguing maturation by Spielberg as a director. Bale proves he was born to act, standing strong against the likes of Malkovich and helping bring depth to a character who's conflicting allegiances during Japanese occupation during WWII adds an interesting complexity I haven't seen in many other war films. Definitely one of Spielberg's most underrated films.

'Heat' (Mann, 1995) **** out of ****
One of the great crime epics ever put to the screen, Heat breezes along its nearly three hour running length with a grace rarely afforded to cops and robbers films as it evaluates what makes these opposing forces tick and delivers a few of the great set pieces the 90s had to offer. Rich in theme and character, Mann's direction and screenplay can best be described as elegant and the cinematography by Dante Spinotti remains as incredible to behold as ever. I'll still never understand how James didn't like this film.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:25 am
Auteur

Personally I loved Escape From L.A., I had a total blast with it, my favorite part being the basketball sequence, didn't think that much of Escape From NY though, I found it average at best.

For me Heat would've been better if it wasn't sodamn long, it didn't really feel like it earned it's 3 hour running time, as there were too many subplots that really didn't add anything to the film and distracted too much from the main story.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:04 am
Producer

Ken wrote:

:lol:

Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:09 am
Second Unit Director

Into the Abyss (2011) 3/4

Werner Herzog examines the effects and transformations brought along by the occurrence of death, while broadly analyzing the ethics of the greatly debated death penalty. The impact and resonance of this film will definitely hinge on personal thoughts/opinions held toward death as an option for punishment. However Herzog limits commentary on the death penalty in favor of personal interactions with individuals closely involved with the case being presented. Conversations with certain individuals sometimes seem rather fruitless in Into the Abyss, many times derailing rich insights into the ramifications and general causation of the case itself. Bias is clearly and audibly presented in Herzog's doc, early on actually, and that honestly never sits well with me in any documentary feature. Putting bias aside, its difficult to easily ascertain the exact message that Herzog is trying to convey to viewers--this could be an issue spurring from the films troublesome structure-- and what is generally supposed to be taken away. Perhaps Herzog wants audiences to see that state mandated killing cannot change the past, and can only negatively effect those emotionally tied to the defendant being executed; If I were a gambling man, I would put my money on the aforementioned message. In short, such a cold, gruesome backdrop hardly clears the murky waters of this never-ending debate, yet the concentration on death as a life changing, transformative entity is on full display here, and its focus is at times triumphantly striking.

The Act of Killing (2012)

A lot to take in; pondering and reflection is needed. Thoughts will be posted soon-ish….

The Bling Ring (2013) 2/4

I never thought that a film would push me back to Harmony Korine's Spring Breakers, but Coppola's The Bling Ring has indeed accomplished that feat. While both films have a tight focus on the hedonistic tendencies of our current generation, Coppola's work isn't as sharp as the vibrant neon road trip to a gorging heaven of excess IMO. Instead, Coppola uses a more biographical approach, and while well-lit and nicely directed at times, The Bling Ring never quite succeeds in hitting a nerve or concocting the right punch to drive home its commentary. With The Bling we're given characters that are hardly ever relatable--hell, character reasoning is practically thrown out the door, save for its general message of course. And ultimately I'm ok with that, my problem here, however, is that Coppola never gives viewers anything to necessarily latch on to or relate with. We're simply given rich kids who want more for mores sake, thus creating a broad sense of shallowness and entitlement that never comes close to compelling. Hurting the narrative even more is its hollow characterization. Mind you. I know these individuals may not be the most "deep" people on the planet, but the overwrought dullness of the characters themselves certainly seeps into the overall tone of the film. Ultimately I'm pressed to deem The Bling Ring as a dud--a real life story that had convenient messages of our times, but one that wasn't crafted in a way to exude a a whole lot of substance and meaning.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:02 am
Director

Going through Coens is fun and all, but it's good to watch something intensely emotional for a change.

Short Term 12 (2013)

The second half forces the story into too neat a formula (especially for a film that aims for fly-on-the-wall realism), but the raw emotions and performances are vividly felt to the end. Brie Larson is rivetingly understated in showing the cracks under the seemingly chilled exterior. One of the year's best acting. 8.5/10

Blue Jasmine (2013)

A character study of this kind does not demand a structured plot, but I still wish it could have been a bit more focused (especially considering A Streetcar Named Desire, which inspires it, is not lacking in this regard). I also think the film strikes a bit of a false note in its depiction of the working class. It is still very compelling though, purely for Cate Blanchett's incredible performance. She invests fully in this complex character, and manages to have us see behind the very unpleasant facade to the broken core insides. You don't exactly sympathize with Jasmine, but Blanchett forges an understanding forcefully enough that we want to see how she features to the end. 7/10

Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:46 am
Producer

Into The Abyss gives an opportunity for the dehumanized to be humanized again, and sometimes that's a better goal. Making a point is so trite sometimes.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:25 pm
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
Into The Abyss gives an opportunity for the dehumanized to be humanized again, and sometimes that's a better goal. Making a point is so trite sometimes.

Oh definitely, but Herzog's goal falls a little flat in my opinion. Thoughts? Agree/Disagree?

Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:59 pm
Director

JackBurns wrote:
The Act of Killing (2012)
A lot to take in; pondering and reflection is needed. Thoughts will be posted soon-ish….

Ohhh, I'll (hopefully) be watching that one in the weekend. It's meant to be good.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:15 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Personally I loved Escape From L.A., I had a total blast with it, my favorite part being the basketball sequence, didn't think that much of Escape From NY though, I found it average at best.

For me Heat would've been better if it wasn't sodamn long, it didn't really feel like it earned it's 3 hour running time, as there were too many subplots that really didn't add anything to the film and distracted too much from the main story.

I was just too tuned out by that point in L.A. It was an intriguing idea but by making the film more of a remake than a sequel it just felt like it was retreading New York with a bigger budget and less energy/creativity.

Personally, Heat never felt a minute over two hours. I'm not sure how the pacing felt for others but most people I ask remember Heat quite fondly.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:38 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:

A 3 hour running length made sense with an epic story spanning years and with a logical place to put an intermission. But in a post-intermission age, there's no reason why any film should be longer than 135 minutes without credits. Most should be under 110 minutes, and a lot should just be 90. A complete, emotional story can easily be told in 90 minutes. But past the 140-145 minute marker, any emotional impact a movie might have on me evaporates completely, as does any interest I have in how the story turns out. Honestly, even the first Godfather is a close call for me in this sense. Munich is the only one I can think of that really works, mainly because of its episodic nature.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:16 pm
Producer

I would actually not mind seeing a comeback of the intermission, myself. I love long movies that justify their running time, but my bladder sometimes doesn't.

Plus, there's something structurally cool about movies that have a little mini-wrap-up about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way in, then have a nice neat little episode at the end where the big payoff stuff resides. 2001, for all its artistry, is practically a crusty ol' matinee cliffhanger in the way it handles the break for intermission.

That said, I'm sure the reason intermissions are verboten is the same reason that long movies are generally discouraged: the longer a movie is (and an intermission is adding around 15 to the running time), the less showings per day there are, therefore less ticket sales.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:20 pm
Critic

MGamesCook wrote:
But in a post-intermission age, there's no reason why any film should be longer than 135 minutes without credits .

Though I sometimes also find movies too long, that's a pretty silly statement. I mean, off the top of my head, there goes every Harry Potter movie, the recent Batman arc, The Avengers, Inglourious Basterds, Prisoners, The Wolf of Wall Street, the Lord of the Rings movies, etc. etc.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:54 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
But in a post-intermission age, there's no reason why any film should be longer than 135 minutes without credits .

Though I sometimes also find movies too long, that's a pretty silly statement. I mean, off the top of my head, there goes every Harry Potter movie, the recent Batman arc, The Avengers, Inglourious Basterds, Prisoners, The Wolf of Wall Street, the Lord of the Rings movies, etc. etc.

Yeah, its a little impossible to support that statement any way but personally. There's no reason a movie shouldn't be longer than 135 or 90 minutes either, just depends on the movie.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:06 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:

That said, I'm sure the reason intermissions are verboten is the same reason that long movies are generally discouraged: the longer a movie is (and an intermission is adding around 15 to the running time), the less showings per day there are, therefore less ticket sales.

That's one of those things that people say that isn't actually true. Well, intermissions, sure. But long movies being discouraged? Pssssh. Other than animated movies, ALL movies that make a lot of money are long. And most are REALLY long. Look at the Top 25 , animated movies excepted:

Titanic - 194 min
The Avengers - 143 min
The Dark Knight - 152 min
The Phantom Menace - 136 min
Star Wars - 121 min
The Dark Knight Rises - 165 min
ET - 115 min
Pirates of the Caribbean 2 - 151 min
Iron Man 3 - 131 min
Catching Fire - 146 min
The Hunger Games - 142 min
Spider-Man - 121 min
Jurassic Park - 127 min
Transformers 2 - 150 min
Harry Potter 7.2 - 130 min
Revenge of the Sith - 140 min
The Return of the King - 201 min
Spider-Man 2- 127 min
The Passion of the Christ - 127 min

That's an average length of 152 minutes. Out of 20 movies, only one (ET -- aimed more at children/families) was less than 120 minutes, and none were less than 110, but 7 were at least 150 minutes.

I guess people, when they're not with children, want their money's worth?

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:09 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 700, 701, 702, 703, 704, 705, 706 ... 840  Next