Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:01 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 809  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Starearedkid wrote:
In the last 24 hours I have watched: Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist, Zack and Miri (for the second time!), Return to Me and South Pacific.

Unfortunately, not much else got done in that time span.

-Jordyn

Hi Jordyn

That's quite the varied day's viewing! Not surprised you did little else.
I've seen them all, but SP, not for years!
I'm obviously less enamored with Z&M than you. I liked but did not love it 7/10 here

Rob

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:38 am
Just finished watching "Taken in Broad Daylight" on the Lifetime Movie Network-it's a 2009 release on this network starring James Van Der Beek. WOW-remember once upon a time ago this guy was one of the young, hot, and rising stars in Hollywood? Whatever happened to him?

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:42 am
The Day The Earth Stood Still

Like Indy 4, I didn't think it was that bad. Rather forgettable though and the big alien thingy was a direct rip-of of the Cylons from BSG. I think if they had someone besides Reeves it might have been a lot better, though he is somewhat believable as a non-human. Better than War of the World's I guess. Silliest Secretary of Defence since Transformers as well.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:23 am
Quote:
Hi Jordyn

That's quite the varied day's viewing! Not surprised you did little else.
I've seen them all, but SP, not for years!
I'm obviously less enamored with Z&M than you. I liked but did not love it 7/10 here

Rob

Well...two of those were my husband's choices: Nick and Nora (which was his Valentine's gift) and Zack and Miri. I liked them; but I do have to say, since I didn't have much vested interest in them, I was reading and doing other stuff while they were on. Return to Me and South Pacific were my choices; and needless to say my husband conveniently left the room when those were on. I have wanted to see South Pacific since last June, when I had an amazing opportunity to see the revival at Lincoln Center. (My parents and I brought my grandma to see it). But I have a soft spot for old musicals (and new musicals!) Actually, any movie if the broke out in dance and song, I would probably love it! South Pacific did not disappoint, and I can't wait for it to arrive on Blu Ray in March.

-Jordyn

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:59 am
Rise of the Footsoldier. The flick really should be called C***s, Slags and a Hell of a lot of Violence. Iy was OK, but I wouldn't want to watch it again.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:36 pm
Dark City. Better than I remembered.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:38 pm
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days

I really liked it, though I can see how alot of people would be turned off by the long unbroken takes and heavy realism. I just really dig this style and it seems to give the acting a better chance to breathe.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:01 pm
Yesterday, I watched City Lights for the first time. I really enjoyed it. It was funny, the romance was touching, and it the Chaplin's acting was great.

Last week I watched Wendy and Lucy and Chop Shop. Both films focus on marginalized people living in the good ole U.S. of A. Both were well made, but I think I enjoyed Chop Shop more-- it really burrowed into life in a particular neighborhood in a way that few films do and the shots were masterful.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:09 pm
To the previous two posters,

I loved "4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days" and "Wendy and Lucy" both! Both of you should see each other's film if you haven't, as well as "The Death of Mr. Lazarescu" and anything by the Dardenne brothers. It's true that people will find them boring, but I love that quiet naturalism more than anything.

I watched "Bolt" last night and actually really liked it a lot. It's not "Wall-E", but I found it almost on par with "Kung Fu Panda".

Honestly, I can't remember the last time a "kids" film made me laugh so hard. The hamster and the pigeons had me crying with laughter.

(Bolt and Rhino, a hampster, in his ball, see a guard)

Rhino: ... I'll break his neck.

If that's not brilliant, I don't know what is! I also had to pause from laughing so hard when he fogged up his ball, and then drew a smiley face on it to express his enthusiasm.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:29 pm
I just saw The Reader this afternoon. It was a good movie, well acted but I don't know that it deserved the Oscar nod. And while I think Kate Winslet will win for her work in this, I've found her better in some of her other roles.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:43 pm
gavmbree wrote:
Yesterday, I watched City Lights for the first time. I really enjoyed it. It was funny, the romance was touching, and it the Chaplin's acting was great.

Last week I watched Wendy and Lucy and Chop Shop. Both films focus on marginalized people living in the good ole U.S. of A. Both were well made, but I think I enjoyed Chop Shop more-- it really burrowed into life in a particular neighborhood in a way that few films do and the shots were masterful.

Hey Gavmbree

I love Chaplin. If you have a Netflix account you might want to look at The Chaplin Mutuals
It's a series of his shorts that includes Easy Street. It's a 3 disc collection and they are wonderful.
I bought the collection. Each film is about 17 minutes.

http://www.dvdreview.com/html/chaplin_mutuals.html

Hope you like them
Rob

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:54 pm
Starting Out in the Evening

It was much better than I expected, 9/10 from me. Excellent performance from Frank Langella, and the two Six Feet Under (my favorite show of all time), Lauren Ambrose and Lili Taylor were also great. I'm not a fan of Lili at all, but her quirky, often annoying mannerisms were perfect for this character. The script was excellent, and even with all the talk about writing, there was never a dull moment.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:10 pm
Pierrot le fou- the first movie I've seen from Jean-Luc Goddard. I'm not even sure if I liked it or not but it was interesting. The style of the film is unlike anything I've ever seen.

21 Grams-my second viewing and even better. amazing movie and performances 9.5/10

Babel-from the same director as 21 grams. I really liked this movie but not as much as 21 grams. probably 8.5/10

Thx 1138- this was very MEH for me. the premise was promising but the follow thorough wasn't.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:33 pm
Just saw The Abyss on tv again...another WOW reaction!

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:57 am
Trevor wrote:
Total Recall.
the shame!
and it was with a drinking game.
Oh, the horrible shame!

Don't be ashamed, you did it for Arnie. He'll be seeing you at the party later.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:57 am
The Dirty Dozen was on at weekend. Unfortunately, it was cut - but fortunately I still have the video.

My daughter wanted to watch the first 2 Terminator films (I have the Ultimate Edition on DVD) - she kept asking questions all through both films - aaargh!!!!

Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:51 am
Finally got to watch Eagle Eye last night. I thought the first half of the movie was quite well done, but once the antagonist is revealed as a bit of a cliche, the film lost its edge and creativity. Shia Labeouf may easily become to go-to guy for likeable lead characters; he equates himself quite well here, with Michelle Monaghan doing reasonably well as a "sidekick" of sorts. Rosario Dawson, however, is criminally underused...never a good thing to do.

Overall: **1/2 (four-star scale), or a 6/10 in IMDb terms.

Erik

Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:52 am
Rocky II. Pretty dated, corny, but still got me excited and pumped up, so I give it a 7.5/10.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:03 am
I'm a government worker (hence posting in a forum while at work) and had yesterday off. My girlfriend and I decided to have a "movie day". We tend to do this whenever we get a chance, and yesterday presented the perfect opportunity. Anyway, the films we watched were:

The Bridge on the River Kwai - amazingly well put together, alec guiness gives a phenominal performance, and the pacing is a thing of perfection (never slow or rushed, while clocking in a a little under 3 hours), I personally love this film

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - This is one of my girlfriend's favorites, while I just think it's good. John Ford's ode to the western feels a little heavy-handed to me. Overall, I like it though.

Took a break to watch the college basketball game between UCONN and Pitt. Great game for any college bball lovers.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Newman and Redford doing their thing. Not an amazing film, but it's all around fun factor is very high. The chemistry between the 2 leads is a thing of legend, and rightfully so.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:05 pm
Reefer Madness

30's propaganda done horribly wrong, yet horribly awesome. It spells marijuana with an H! An H!

7/10

Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:07 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 809  Next