Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:48 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16814 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 690, 691, 692, 693, 694, 695, 696 ... 841  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Assistant Director

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Mud A very engaging and well-acted film. For all the talk about McCounaghey, who was indeed great, I was more impressed by the two kids. They played their roles so naturally and played so well off each other. I liked this a lot. It isn't a spectacular film or a masterpiece, but I enjoyed it a lot. Grade: Probably a high B+

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:48 am
Profile WWW
Critic

Thief12 wrote:
Mud A very engaging and well-acted film. For all the talk about McCounaghey, who was indeed great, I was more impressed by the two kids. They played their roles so naturally and played so well off each other. I liked this a lot. It isn't a spectacular film or a masterpiece, but I enjoyed it a lot. Grade: Probably a high B+

I liked this a lot too. It's the best adaptation of Mark Twain ever made, and it's not a Mark Twain adaptation

Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:13 am
Director

The Great Beauty (2013)

With no other than La Dolce Vita as its most obvious inspiration, this could have been a case of ambition dwarfing the film's reach. Fortunately, for the most part it succeeds. Its two main flaws, imo, are the ambition itself (declaring its intention from the start, so there is no beautiful build-up in theme and story like the Fellini film) and how the last act slightly runs out of steam. Still, along the way there are some astounding imagery and beautiful direction. Many absorbing discussions and monologues also take place, led by Toni Servillo in a fantastic lead performance, mixing droll humor, bored contentment, and deep vulnerability to great effect. 8/10

Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:55 am
Director

I have a guest for Christmas with questionable taste in movies, so over the last five days we've watched John Carter, The Libertine, A Knight's Tale, Beach Party and Beach Blanket Bingo. We also watched the second half of The Shop around the Corner and maybe half a year of The Robe. The last, by the way was the worst of the bunch. Bingo is amazingly stupid, but does have a charming subplot involving Deadhead and a mermaid. The people in it look much healthier than in The Libertine.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:21 pm
Director

Evil Dead (the remake)

Do you like blood and guts? Then you may like this. However, all it is is blood and guts. This remake of The Evil Dead has the same premise but none of the horror or humor of the original films. Furthermore, the end is unbelievably stupid, even by horror movie standards. I'm dumber for having watched this; it's one of the worst films of the year.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:20 pm
Critic

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Evil Dead (the remake)

Do you like blood and guts? Then you may like this. However, all it is is blood and guts. This remake of The Evil Dead has the same premise but none of the horror or humor of the original films. Furthermore, the end is unbelievably stupid, even by horror movie standards. I'm dumber for having watched this; it's one of the worst films of the year.

This review amused me; I shall stay far away

Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:32 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Evil Dead (the remake)

I have to strongly disagree with you here, I thought it was a great remake and nowhere near one of the worst films of the year(certainly not worse then Witch Hunters) and I thought the ending was pretty good, how exactly was it "stupid"?

Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:21 pm
Second Unit Director

Hope all of you had a great Christmas. Just before the festive days, I watched a few recent blockbusters:

Kick-Ass 2 (2013)
The first 'Kick-Ass' movie had the problem of trying to be too many things at the same time. It wanted to imagine the scenario of a real life teenage superhero, spoof and deconstruct superhero tropes and work as a genuine superhero story. That made it a confused and uneven movie, but still an interesting one. That's more than can be said of 'Kick-Ass 2'. When this sequel tries to be clever, it borrows elements from 'Watchmen' without understanding them. When it tries to be funny, it is just crass and in bad taste. I assume we agree that it is difficult to see the funny side of attempted rape. 'Kick-Ass 2's idea of turning the situation into a humourous one is that the perpertrator has an erectile dysfunction and desperately masturbates in order to get a hard-on. The punchline: He fails and orders his henchmen to beat her up, so she is hospitalised. Is that funny? 'Kick-Ass 2' is a really bad movie, and an offensive one, too. 3/10

Elysium (2013)
In this science-fiction action movie, Earth is an overpopulated and polluted place, in which the impoverished masses barely eke out a living while the rich live in luxury on the paradaisical space station "Elysium". Healthcare on Elysium is so anvanced that all ailments can be cured at an instant, so when the reformed criminal Max (Matt Damon) suffers lethal radiation poisoning, he attempts to make his way to Elysium by force, just when Elysium's defence secretary Delacourt (Jodie Foster) attempts to stage a coup.
'Elysium' benefits from director Neill Blomkamp's expertise in blending special effects with real life action and from his "realistic" imagination of the future, which are qualities evident in his superior debut 'District 9' as well. Like the latter movie, 'Elysium' uses a science-fiction narrative as a metaphor for contemporary issues, such as illegal immigration and availability of healthcare. Unlike 'District 9', it focusses on the action, though, and treats these subjects rather superficially. 'Elysium' also suffers a bit from not developing its world enough, which has the consequence that some motivations for characters' actions remain unclear. For instance, I was never sure how difficult it really is to illegaly get to the space station, which must be possible because a crimelord has built his whole operation on such operations, but it never seems to have been done successfully. That being said, I liked 'Elysium' as a good action movie and I liked Jodie Foster's "Christine Lagarde as an evil dictator" performance. 7/10

The Wolverine (2013)
After he has been traumatised by the events of X-Men 3, mutant superhero Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) has withdrawn from the world and lives in the Canadian wilderness. When the daughter of a dying Japanese tycoon seeks him out, he is pursuaded to travel to Tokyo in order to say goodbye to a man, whose life he once saved in the nuclear bombing of Nagasaki. Once Wolverine arrives in Japan, he gets involved in a violent struggle for the heritage of his former friend.
I should admit that I am a fan of both, the X-Men comic book and movie series, and particularly like Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. I enjoy how this movie's story fitted into the cinematic X-Men universe and that it wasn't just a run-of-the-mill origin story, but very much a standalone Wolverine adventure of the kind which you would find in Wolverine comic books. Director James Mangold keeps moving things along very nicely and creates a noirish atmosphere. The action is good, too, with an imaginative action sequence on top of a bullet train particularly standing out. I really liked this movie but will concede that I am biased, too. 7/10

Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:35 pm
Auteur

I have to disagree with you on Kick Ass 2, I thought it was great movie and I didn't find it "offensive" at all, i'll admit I laughed my ass off at that particular scene, I kind of like that kind of messed-up humor. I also disagree that it borrows elements from Watchmen, I didn't really see any similarities between the two.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:45 pm
Producer

Robocop 1987

First time viewing, finally. Great movie. I feel that Total Recall is a little more accomplished, but this is easily just as good and deserving of its quasi-cult status. Peter Weller is really good hear, and I loved some of the music. Verhoeven effectively conveys catharsis and dread simultaneously.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:49 pm
Producer

MGamesCook wrote:
Robocop 1987

First time viewing, finally. Great movie. I feel that Total Recall is a little more accomplished, but this is easily just as good and deserving of its quasi-cult status. Peter Weller is really good hear, and I loved some of the music. Verhoeven effectively conveys catharsis and dread simultaneously.

It's a good'un for sure. If anyone wonders what a Frank Miller movie would have been like if he'd gotten to make one before he went nuts, this is probably it. The media satire is very Dark Knightish.

JamesKunz wrote:
Ken wrote:
I think this boy's cheese done slid off his cracker.

Good job working that in!

Oh, how I've waited.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:15 pm
Assistant Director

The Lone Ranger In the words of Quentin Tarantino: "What, that’s the film that everybody says is crap? Seriously?". Despite all its faults, I thought the film still was a fun and entertaining romp. Maybe somewhat overlong, maybe unsure of its tone, but I still enjoyed it. Grade: B, maybe even a B+

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:13 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Quote:
What, that’s the film that everybody says is crap? Seriously?

Good motto in general.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:29 am
Producer

You have to wonder how many really bad movies people have seen, when a flawed but entertaining movie gets tagged with the reputation as the worst of the summer. You have to wonder how much people think about what it really means to them when they say a movie is bad--what they really dislike about bad movies and what they really like about good ones.

I think The Lone Ranger got punished more for being mismarketed and a poor moneymaker than for its intrinsic qualities. It tends to happen. But I do think it's weird and maybe even harmful when people gossip about box office figures nearly as much as they discuss the movies themselves. It's mostly irrelevant unless you're someone in charge of getting movies made, and it's an indication at least some of the time that people are conflating financial success with the movie's merit as art and entertainment.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:32 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
I have to disagree with you on Kick Ass 2, I thought it was great movie and I didn't find it "offensive" at all, i'll admit I laughed my ass off at that particular scene, I kind of like that kind of messed-up humor. I also disagree that it borrows elements from Watchmen, I didn't really see any similarities between the two.

I'm with you here. Kick Ass 2 was one of the best (if not THE best) action comedies of 2013.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:06 am
Producer

Quote:
You have to wonder how much people think about what it really means to them when they say a movie is bad--what they really dislike about bad movies and what they really like about good ones.

Good point, I always think about this. What does it really mean at the end of the day? But the truth is, Lone Ranger would have made money had it been called Pirates of the Caribbean 5. Sometimes it seems like people are tired of absorbing new material. It's been a long time now since a new popular franchise began that wasn't based on a pre-existing property. Many of the biggest surprise hits lately have been sequels reinvigorating old franchises: ghost protocol, rise of the apes, fast 6, Star Trek 2009, Skyfall, etc. "Instant recognition" is the key. Lone Ranger is something that most people didn't recognize. But all those others really reinforced the James Bond trick of continual revitalization.

I feel like popularity used to depend more on genre, where the principle of instant recognition still applied. But now people want to instantly recognize specific characters instead of tropes, which in my opinion is too constricting.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:14 am
Auteur

Lone Ranger didn't look bad, just incredibly mediocre, though at the very least i'd probably find it more watchable then those dreadful Pirate films, which for me are about as anti-entertainment as you can possibly get. I heard Disney actually put a restriction on the budget for the fifth film after Lone Ranger bombed, 100 million is the maximum budget allowed, seems like a lot but the third film cost 300 million to make, so that shows they're losing confidence in the series and probably won't make any more after the fifth one.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:42 am
Producer

I doubt it's the financiers' main intention, but maybe the limited budget will force the filmmakers to come up with more inventive ideas.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:00 am
Director

Trance (2013)

Boyle's direction and pacing are fun in the moment, but it's a movie that leaves you with a mostly blank feeling as soon as it ends. A jigsaw puzzle without any character to really root for, so it ends up not memorable at all. Well, except when they use shaved nudity as a clue. 5/10

The Lone Ranger (2013)

Agreed with Thief on this one. There is really no need for this to be 2.5 hours, but it's mostly OK entertainment. The often juvenile humor and grim violence don't really mix well, and Armie Hammer is a personality vacuum (while Depp is just weird). But Verbinski is adept at creating enjoyable set pieces as usual, which keep things moving along nicely. The last 20 minutes, starting from where The Lone Ranger theme kicks in, are some of the most fun action sequences this year. 6.5/10

Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:48 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Evil Dead (the remake)

I have to strongly disagree with you here, I thought it was a great remake and nowhere near one of the worst films of the year(certainly not worse then Witch Hunters) and I thought the ending was pretty good, how exactly was it "stupid"?

Erm, I don't know if maybe I'm going crazy, but again I'm totally with you here Vexer. There is NOTHING wrong with the Evil Dead remake - other than it borrows the name of a cult horror classic. Imo it did more than enough differently from the original to avoid a direct comparison (the original probably is better, although I haven't seen that in a very long time). While pretty forgettable, Evil Dead (2013) was good fun. To call it one of the worst of the year suggests Sexual Chocolate might not have seen very many truly bad films this year... which is a good thing to be sure. I wish I could say the same <cough> Ghost Shark <cough>.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:50 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16814 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 690, 691, 692, 693, 694, 695, 696 ... 841  Next