Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:12 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 689, 690, 691, 692, 693, 694, 695 ... 808  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Cinematographer

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
JamesKunz wrote:
Thief12 wrote:
Die Hard = A+

Merry Christmas!

I would give that movie an A+ if

...they realized that continually taking the action out of the tower was a bad idea
...they realized that taking the action out of the tower is a REALLY bad idea if you're going to focus on stupid, stupid characters
...every black character was heavily rewritten

I don't mind the occasional "interruptions" to see the cops outside fumbling to get things right. And, although I do agree that the cartoonish portrayal of the cops and FBI takes some small amount of credibility out of it all, I'm not that bothered by it. IMO, it serves its purpose.

As for the black characters, I don't know what issues you might have with them. Each of them is so different that I really don't see any difference in how they are written compared to the other secondary characters.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:50 am
Profile WWW
Auteur

Thief12 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Thief12 wrote:
Die Hard = A+

Merry Christmas!

I would give that movie an A+ if

...they realized that continually taking the action out of the tower was a bad idea
...they realized that taking the action out of the tower is a REALLY bad idea if you're going to focus on stupid, stupid characters
...every black character was heavily rewritten

I don't mind the occasional "interruptions" to see the cops outside fumbling to get things right. And, although I do agree that the cartoonish portrayal of the cops and FBI takes some small amount of credibility out of it all, I'm not that bothered by it. IMO, it serves its purpose.

As for the black characters, I don't know what issues you might have with them. Each of them is so different that I really don't see any difference in how they are written compared to the other secondary characters.

I can understand the first two issues(though they were pretty minor for me) but the third is a bit puzzling, it's not like the blakc characters are heavily stereotyped or anything like that, so I really don't get it.

Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:53 pm
Critic

The black characters are just fucking terrible. They'd be equally terrible if they were white by the way -- this isn't a race thing.

I can't hear "And the quarterback is toast" without wanting to kill myself.

Why is Argyle in the movie? Every so often the film cuts down to him and is like "Hey...no way, Argyle is still in the movie"

And then Powell has to have his arc and shoot the Nordic in the end even though the guy was hanging from his neck in the middle of the room.

The movie would be far better with none of the black actors. The idea that it's an A+....man I never got it

Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:03 pm
Auteur

JamesKunz wrote:
The black characters are just fucking terrible. They'd be equally terrible if they were white by the way -- this isn't a race thing.

Why is Argyle in the movie? Every so often the film cuts down to him and is like "Hey...no way, Argyle is still in the movie"

And then Powell has to have his arc and shoot the Nordic in the end even though the guy was hanging from his neck in the middle of the room.

The movie would be far better with none of the black actors. The idea that it's an A+....man I never got it

I really don't see how they are "terrible", I thought Powell's arc was pretty effective.

Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:18 pm
Producer

I generally liked the cop character. He's a cliche, but everything in Die Hard is. That said, I agree that his triumphant moment at the end rings badly. Yeah, I understand that his problem stemmed from an incident involving a wrongful shooting, but I'm not sure the best solution is another shooting that strains the limits of credibility.

Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:21 pm
Director

The Auteurs of Christmas. The Baz Luhrmann one is a bit awkward without his garish production value, but overall pretty delightful.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:23 am
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:

Theo is awesome. He's one of my favorite characters.

Argyle's presence serves more as a comic relief, but he has a good chemistry with Willis in the opening act. And I'm really not bothered by the cuts to him in the limo doing nothing. They're brief and I don't think they take anything away from the film.

Powell, although hampered by Reginald VelJohnson's average acting, is still an effective counterpart to McClane. But I'll have to agree that his last moment of redemption isn't really necessary. It's one of the few itty-bitty issues I have with the film.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:18 am
Profile WWW
Director

White Reindeer (2013)

A Christmas drama in the vein of Todd Solondz, though not as vicious. It falls too short at both character study and black comedy, never fully committed to either. It's still a nicely subversive antidote to the cheery Christmas movie spirit, anchored by a very good lead performance. 6/10

The Attack (2013)

An Arab doctor working in Israel seems to have everything: career's advance, a beautiful wife, and the society's acceptance... until a suicide bombing, with his wife as the suspect, makes him question everything he knows about her and the world he lives in. The film often feels too tentative in approach for this kind of thorny issue, even though that may have been from attempting a human story on both sides' characters. Its portrayal of questions that may never have definitive answers is powerful, but the film's main strength is how it places an intimate love story at the center of all the political-thriller trappings, making our perspective through this story feel personal. 8.5/10

Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:25 pm
Cinematographer

Two rewatches today...

(500) Days of Summer Caught this on TV for probably the third or fourth time. I just love this film. It has turned into one of my Top 3 romantic comedies ever. A very honest and down-to-earth portrayal of how relationships develop and unfold. Grade: A

The Lodger: A Story of the London Fog I wanted to rewatch this, Hitchcock's first silent film, after seeing it for the first time a couple of years ago. I remember not being that fond of the film the first time, but the rewatch ended up being quite effective and I really enjoyed it more. The acting isn't excellent, and I still think the very last bit with the lynch mob wasn't that well executed, but still, Hitchcock shows why he was the Master of Suspense even in his 20's. Grade: B- (initial grade was a C more or less)

Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:50 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Quote:
"(500) Days of Summer Caught this on TV for probably the third or fourth time. I just love this film. It has turned into one of my Top 3 romantic comedies ever. A very honest and down-to-earth portrayal of how relationships develop and unfold. Grade: A"

When I was 18 back in 2000, I had a girl i was obsessed with, and was then awesomely dumped by.

And when I say awesome, i don't mean cruel. I just mean in a cold, logical fashion. 500 days ofSummer was soooo that!

Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:15 pm
Second Unit Director

Wolf of Wall Street: 10/10

Leo just played my favorite character in the history of movies. I can't wait to get fucked up as soon as possible.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:10 pm
Critic

roastbeef_ajus wrote:

Leo just played my favorite character in the history of movies. I can't wait to get fucked up as soon as possible.

The point: .

Roastbeef: Down here

...I think you might have missed it

Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:04 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

The point: .

Roastbeef: Down here

...I think you might have missed it

How did I miss it?...this guy was a #bauce and after all that shit,...is still rich. I'm jelly.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:08 am
Second Unit Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:

How did I miss it?...this guy was a #bauce
[Reveal] Spoiler:
and after all that shit,...is still rich
. I'm jelly.

Come on. Please spoiler tag stuff like that.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:18 am
Second Unit Director

JackBurns wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

How did I miss it?...this guy was a #bauce
[Reveal] Spoiler:
and after all that shit,...is still rich
. I'm jelly.

Come on. Please spoiler tag stuff like that.

Ummm it's based on the true life and times of the coolest bro since somebody snorted the first line of blow. It's not a secet this total #bawse is still white man rich.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:06 am
Producer

I think this boy's cheese done slid off his cracker.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:22 am
Second Unit Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Ummm it's based on the true life and times of the coolest bro since somebody snorted the first line of blow. It's not a secet this total #bawse is still white man rich.

Roast, just because you know the real life events doesn't automatically mean that everyone else does.

Also, is it bauce or bawse? I need to remain up to date on the latest and greatest lingo.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:43 am
Second Unit Director

JackBurns wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

Roast, just because you know the real life events doesn't automatically mean that everyone else does.

Also, is it bauce or bawse? I need to remain up to date on the latest and greatest lingo.

Either #bauce or #bawse....synonyms.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:03 am
Producer

JackBurns wrote:

I don't think it's either. I don't even think people say it ironically anymore.

You could try it out by method acting, though. Just try to see the world through the eyes of an adult toddler with brain damage from frequent binge drinking.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:02 am
Critic

Ken wrote:
I think this boy's cheese done slid off his cracker.

Good job working that in!

Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:43 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 689, 690, 691, 692, 693, 694, 695 ... 808  Next