Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:02 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15687 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 653, 654, 655, 656, 657, 658, 659 ... 785  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Director

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Quote:
Will you be proceeding onto the next two films after this?

Yeah, about to start the next one.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:39 am
Producer

Eeexcellent.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:43 am
Producer

NotHughGrant wrote:
Alpha Dog (2006)

It's rare I come across a gem like this - a film so badly constructed you have to seriously wonder if they were taking the piss.

The script reads like a collection of non-sequiters; the direction is non-existent excepting some laughably misplaced flourishes; the characters so poorly developed and thought through that you can't bring yourself to even begin to give a shit.

Aprt from Oliver Wilde's tits, a complete waste of everyone's time.

I thought Justin Timberlake and Anton Yelchin were excellent in the movie and I liked the friendship, of sorts, that develops between them,
[Reveal] Spoiler:
which makes the scene where they kill Yelchin's character all the more powerful IMO.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:03 pm
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
Alpha Dog (2006)

It's rare I come across a gem like this - a film so badly constructed you have to seriously wonder if they were taking the piss.

The script reads like a collection of non-sequiters; the direction is non-existent excepting some laughably misplaced flourishes; the characters so poorly developed and thought through that you can't bring yourself to even begin to give a shit.

Aprt from Oliver Wilde's tits, a complete waste of everyone's time.

I thought Justin Timberlake and Anton Yelchin were excellent in the movie and I liked the friendship, of sorts, that develops between them,
[Reveal] Spoiler:
which makes the scene where they kill Yelchin's character all the more powerful IMO.

Agreed, that was the first movie I saw where Timberlake really impressed me with his acting, it was a pretty strong story and that scene you mentioned was heartbreaking to watch.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:33 pm
Director

Just finished Evil Dead trilogy. Evil Dead 2 is grand fun and all, but I miss and like the simplicity, atmosphere, and intensity of the first one more, and any scene (thankfully few) not involving the glorious Bruce Campbell became a bit of a drag. The best thing from both movies though is definitely Campbell unhinged and groovy. Now I see why he became quite the cult. 8/10

Army of Darkness is the least of the three, but it was fun and I was very charmed with Raimi's take on fantasy genre; a lot of fun and deliciously quotable (also, Matilda's teacher!). I enjoyed Oz somewhat, but now wished it was a bit more like this. 7.5/10

Also love how both sequels opened with a revised and hurried recap of the previous one.

And now for the unpopular opinion:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The Evil Dead > Drag Me to Hell > Evil Dead II > Army of Darkness

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:23 am
Producer

I was not such a great fan of Drag Me To Hell. I think the really off-putting thing about it was the modernity of the special effects. If it had been Raimi and his cohorts working with latex, foam, and various fluids like in the old days, it might have cultivated more of the atmosphere of his early work. I just don't think the CGI looks appropriate for the material, nor does it look particularly good in general. Some of that isn't Raimi's fault; there's something unnaturally bright, clean, and insubstantial about really in-your-face computer graphics. It might be acceptable for superheroes and fantasies, but horror--even comedic horror--needs something dingier and more tangible. The Evil Dead movies have that in spades.

I definitely agree that while Army of Darkness is probably the most fan-friendly and conducive to midnight showings, it's the least of the three in terms of its strength as a movie. I have a soft spot for the scrappiness of the first one, but I'd say Evil Dead II is the most balanced between comedy and Lovecraftian horrors. That one's my favorite.

(The recent remake might as well not exist. It is an Evil Dead movie as much as that guy in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is Mickey Mouse.)

Have you seen Darkman?

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:38 am
Director

I didn't feel that way about the CGI in Drag Me to Hell at all. Granted, maybe it's because that's the first time I was exposed to Raimi's horror style, but I had a great time with it (probably would give it an 8, same as the first two Evil Deads). Love that car set-piece in particular, so very unexpected to me in how un-PG13 and intense it became. Yeah I think the first Evil Dead is a bit scrappy, but it's still well-crafted, and the first scene that deadite appeared is very, very scary and intense. Evil Dead II... I just didn't find it scary, at all. Maybe a couple of jumps when it popped up here and there, but I viewed it as a twisted campy comedy with one great performance.

Regardless of its quality and reception, I watched the red-band trailer to Evil Dead remake and realized that it's not going to be my kind of movie. A gore movie (as opposed to a movie with gore) often left me feeling nausea and depressed.

I've seen Darkman, but wow, it must have been about 10 years ago or so, back when I was 12-13 and walked around a rental movie store picking off interesting-looking VCD movies. I only recalled the vaguest story details, but I think I liked the twisted take on hero genre a bit. The ending, however, I still remember because it was just so, so sad, and incredibly badass. ;)

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:08 am
Producer

I know Drag me to Hell was meant to be some kind of retro indulgence, but I just thought it to be poor in general. Appeals to nostalgia aside

Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:01 am
Director

One week break after midterm + sick in bed = burning through some unseen John Carpenter horrors. Beginning with his so-called Apocalypse Trilogy.

The Thing (1982)

This one's a rewatch. I remember giving it 8.5 some years back, but repeated viewing proves its craft and scares as potent as ever, and the characters I feel distant towards in my initial watch grow more on me. 9/10

Prince of Darkness (1987)

This one has a lot of ideas. So many that at some points all it seems to do is delivering exposition. Still, it incorporates science and religion in a pretty unique way, keeping the talk interesting throughout. The movie doses out a few creepy moments over its first half, before getting full-blown horror in its last act, with some good set-pieces. Not everything works, but it holds my interest. 7/10

In the Mouth of Madness (1995)

This is rather underrated. Despite the main flaw of the female lead's bad performance, I really like the blurring of fantasy and reality, with many creative and genuinely creepy images. Sam Neil is really fantastic here, being both very entertaining to watch and drawing our sympathy. The last half-hour where his sanity is put to the test is now one of my favorite Carpenter sequences. 8/10

His The Fog is next. Always want to watch that one for a long time, despite some mixed words.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:12 pm
Auteur

I personally despised Drag Me To Hell, for me it was easily Raimi's worst effort, no scares, bad CGI(though I wasn't really bothered by the "modernity" of them, just that they were bad in general) poor acting, uninvolving story and a really lame ending.

Mouth Of Madness was pretty good, though I personally thought Julie Carmen gave a great performance.

I quite the Evil Dead remake as well, to be honest I actually prefered it over the original somewhat.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:27 pm
Critic

peng wrote:
Just finished Evil Dead trilogy. Evil Dead 2 is grand fun and all, but I miss and like the simplicity, atmosphere, and intensity of the first one more, and any scene (thankfully few) not involving the glorious Bruce Campbell became a bit of a drag. The best thing from both movies though is definitely Campbell unhinged and groovy. Now I see why he became quite the cult. 8/10

Army of Darkness is the least of the three, but it was fun and I was very charmed with Raimi's take on fantasy genre; a lot of fun and deliciously quotable (also, Matilda's teacher!). I enjoyed Oz somewhat, but now wished it was a bit more like this. 7.5/10

Also love how both sequels opened with a revised and hurried recap of the previous one.

And now for the unpopular opinion:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The Evil Dead > Drag Me to Hell > Evil Dead II > Army of Darkness

I'm glad to see someone else who appreciates the straightforward, tongue-out-of-cheek approach of the original

Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:31 pm
Cinematographer

I don't know. I've never really cared about Raimi's horror/comedy aesthetics. I remember seeing Army of Darkness back in the day in theaters, without knowing really what it was about and thinking it was pretty bad. A couple of years ago I saw Drag Me to Hell, and thought pretty much the same. A couple of months ago I saw Evil Dead for perhaps the first time (I think I saw some of it when I was a pre-teen/teen, but didn't remember enough about it) and wasn't that blown away by it. I don't think I'll go out of my way to watch other similar efforts of his.

I have enjoyed considerably more his other efforts.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:45 pm
Profile WWW
Director

The Fog (1980)

Can't believe I held out on seeing it for so long. It now becomes my 2nd favorite Carpenter, behind Halloween and on par with The Thing, maybe very slightly ahead. I haven't seen such good atmosphere in horror films for quite a while. When the fog enveloped the boy's house I got goosebumps all over. The ending is a little weak but overall I love it. 9/10

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:43 am
Second Unit Director

Haven't posted any recent "watched films" lately so I'll try to keep them short and concise :)

In the Mood for Love (2000) 3/4

The title says it all--at least during my personal viewing experience. I was ready to fall in love with this film. I had always heard such great things, and I was fully prepared to embrace this flick with open arms. However, I can't say that I'm fully convinced of the widely accepted "greatness" that this film seems to convey to the vast majority. For a film that comes in around 90 minutes, In the Mood for Love moved extremely slow. Perhaps the slow pace has purpose; its possible that Kar Wai wanted to immerse the viewer into the wearisome relationship, but after a while it starts to become slightly numbing. Like many other acclaimed films I can appreciate In the Mood for Love, but I can't quite absorb it. The mechanics of an "anti-adultry" relationship are interesting, and its great to see two individuals treading the path of broken marriages while trying to cope with the possible blossoming of a brand new love. Yet even with such interesting material, the tone of In the Mood for Love is quite chilly, and its ultimately hard to become attached to the characters on screen. Again, this is a film I can respect and even admire, but one that is also incredibly hard to digest.

Sexy Beast (2000) 3.5/4

"Ben Kingsley rocks," Ben Kingsley steals the show," ... those are all little blurbs that are usually associated with Sexy Beast, and rightfully so for that matter. Ben Kingsley puts on a pretty spectacular performance, yet I feel as if i Kingsley's performance often masks this real greatness of this film. Sexy Beast feels like the antithesis of the gangster genre. The gangster has retired. He hasn't been killed in a mansion or subway, and witness protection is nowhere in the picture. Everything for the gangster, played by Ray Winstone, is going pretty great. However, formula does creep into the picture when the past comes back to haunt or protagonist. But its the way in which this situation is handled that truly separates Sexy Beast from the usual gangster film. Director Jonathan Glazer gives viewers plenty of scenery to chew on. Through Kingsley's grizzled-psychopathic performance to the dream sequences involving a humanoid rabbit, the themes of a dark, lurking past are ever present. Rarely does the gangster film play out as Sexy Beast does (and for purposes of spoilers I wont delve into that aspect any further). Not only does Glazer craft a story that is truly haunting, but he also takes time to cleverly comment on the the "gangster genre" as a whole; picking apart the strong, "manly" components that films of this caliber usually convey. Ultimately, Sexy Beast is an extremely rewarding experience, not only because of its direction and performances, but because it explores different boundaries and does something new.

Don Jon (2013) 3/4

Not much to say here. Fun, light hearted take on sexual addiction, and a acceptable debut from JGL (even if the conflict at the heart of this film is solved rather quickly, and without much effort---and even if female characters are one-dimensional and sometimes wasted).

Sherlock Jr. (1924) 3/4

Sherlock Jr. feels like the the kind of short story that you used to have to read in your favorite English class in middle school. Theres not a whole lot of substance, but the events and story are completely a blast .

Leviathan (2012) 2.5/4

Leviathan has been getting tons of praise, but I've decided to make my stand. I've been tossing this film around in my head for the past couple of days and I've finally come to the conclusion that new isn't always better. I love when filmmakers decide to go a different route with things, hell, I just spent a small amount of time saying how much I enjoyed Sexy Beast because it took a different route with the gangster film. However, doing something new doesn't always correlate with greatness. Leviathan is a new approach to the genre of documentary--theres no doubt about that. Those of you who hark on the bias held in most documentaries may fall in love with Leviathan. Do you know why? Because it doesn't tell you a damn thing. It simply observes. The cameras used for this mere observatory approach are located all around different corners and places of the ship (sometimes being attached to objects and individuals), and this does lead to a well rounded picture of the setting itself. However, at times, especially the first twenty-five minutes, the film is visually incoherent. With that said, this film amazingly flies by; which kinda left me stunned. This is an experiment, and it doesn't feel like a whole lot more than that to me. As the person I was watching the film with put it "Leviathan feels like a photography exhibit, and nothing more."

Rush (2013) 3/4

I was pleasantly surprised by Howard's latest outing. Rush is a film thats easy to enjoy, and even easier to become immersed in. The score and cinematography are pretty outstanding as well. Like Don Jon, Rush seems to put its female characters to the side, focusing rather on the rivalry of two Formula One racers and casting all others into the abyss. Overall I'm ok with how Rush works and develops. I can't say that the the great divide between our main protagonists are all that deep--for the most part the rivalry seems a bit shallow. All in all, Rush is a solid sports film, even if I'll take the documentary Senna over it any day.

To the Wonder (2012) 3/4

I'm a self-proclaimed Malick fan boy. I'm all about some poetic artsiness (even though i just kinda bashed Leviathan, but hey that was poetic so shame on it). To the Wonder, Terrence Malick's latest film, is no less poetic or artsy than his previous efforts, but perhaps things are slightly more dense here than ever before. The themes of the film itself are easy to grasp--love, losing love, and not being able to see "love" seem to be the major underlying aspects of To the Wonder, and for the most part they work beautifully. However thats not to say that To the Wonder doesn't feels woefully difficult at times. The film itself consists of very little dialogue, with the majority of sound being non-diagetic (narration). Essentially, To the Wonder is a purely visual narrative, and for a long duration of the film it succeeds. Yes there are some week parts (especially a bit with Rachel McAdams), but for the majority of the first two acts To the Wonder is quite mesmerizing. However the third act ultimately left me a little polarized. It's not that the film completely unravels, but perhaps that it quickly begins to loose its steam. In short, this is definitely a film I will want to revisit, maybe to unearth a little more of its "narrative," and to enjoy Emmanuel Lubezki's fantastic cinematography.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:15 pm
Critic

peng wrote:
The Fog (1980)

Can't believe I held out on seeing it for so long. It now becomes my 2nd favorite Carpenter, behind Halloween and on par with The Thing, maybe very slightly ahead. I haven't seen such good atmosphere in horror films for quite a while. When the fog enveloped the boy's house I got goosebumps all over. The ending is a little weak but overall I love it. 9/10

Wow....I can't believe you're being serious

Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:37 pm
Director

I just can't do Carpenter. A couple of his movies I got 40 minutes or so in and had to shut it off. Too obtuse, too boring, not much art, not much of anything really. Halloween was his big hit, but I just can't get into that. Michael Myers just doesn't scare me. Norman Bates and Buffalo Bill and Hannibal scare me, but not Myers.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:54 pm
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
I just can't do Carpenter. A couple of his movies I got 40 minutes or so in and had to shut it off. Too obtuse, too boring, not much art, not much of anything really. Halloween was his big hit, but I just can't get into that. Michael Myers just doesn't scare me. Norman Bates and Buffalo Bill and Hannibal scare me, but not Myers.

I like some of his Carpenter's overlooked films like Ghosts Of Mars, Vampires and Escape From L.A., but most of his other stuff dosen't do a whole lot for me.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:34 pm
Director

MGamesCook wrote:

I like Carpenter. Yet he's been in a state of decline since They Live. I admit to liking Vampires and the much maligned Escape From LA. But Ghosts Of Mars was awful and The Ward was even worse. His best films are Halloween, The Thing, Assault On Precinct 13 and They Live. In the realm of horror director's George Romero is way ahead of him in terms of overall consistency. Him and Wes Craven are on the same level and ahead of Tobe Hooper,

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:59 pm
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

I like Carpenter. Yet he's been in a state of decline since They Live. I admit to liking Vampires and the much maligned Escape From LA. But Ghosts Of Mars was awful and The Ward was even worse. His best films are Halloween, The Thing, Assault On Precinct 13 and They Live. In the realm of horror director's George Romero is way ahead of him in terms of overall consistency. Him and Wes Craven are on the same level and ahead of Tobe Hooper,

I don't agree with you on Romero, personally I think he's kind of overrated, I liked the remake of Dawn better then his version, I felt Day Of The Dead was the best entry in the series, found both Diary and Survival to be middling and forgettable, so for me Carpenter edges above Romero slightly.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:42 pm
Critic

Vexer wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

I don't agree with you on Romero, personally I think he's kind of overrated, I liked the remake of Dawn better then his version, I felt Day Of The Dead was the best entry in the series, found both Diary and Survival to be middling and forgettable, so for me Carpenter edges above Romero slightly.

I would argue that Diary is worse than middling -- it's straight-up bad -- but Night-Dawn-Day are terrific

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:34 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15687 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 653, 654, 655, 656, 657, 658, 659 ... 785  Next