Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:41 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 619, 620, 621, 622, 623, 624, 625 ... 808  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Certified Copy (2010) 3.5/4

A charming, compelling drama that echoes the tone of the “Before” films, while at the same time feeling vastly different. Director Abbas Kiarostami crafts a film that starts out simple and sublime, however as the narrative progresses a profound sense of ambiguity takes president. The questions posed in Certified Copy create a sense of mystery out of mere conversation. This is where the film feels really special. The strength of the conversation spoken between our two main characters is profound. I always felt the dialogue to be sharp and intelligent while still being completely believable. I can’t say that Certified Copy is strong when looking at it purely from a narrative standpoint. However when the conversation between these two characters finally blossom, I don’t think anyone will mind.

Page One: Inside the New York Times (2011) 3/4

Imagining a world where printed media no longer exists doesn’t seem too farfetched. Page One examines the dying world of printed news, while also tackling its fast moving merge into the Internet age. This is an overall pretty interesting documentary. With that said, Page One never seems to find its footing. The doc is constantly jumping around from one incident to another, while cementing itself to one journalist who holds some of its overall structure together. Structure is an issue here, but the look inside the inner workings of The New York Times is simply too good to pass up.

Behind the Candelabra (TV) (2013) 3.5/4

The performances in this film are outstanding. Soderbergh has created a biopic that not only follows the life of pianist Liberance, but also tells us something about wealth and the toll on those who become whisked away by it. Behind the Candelabra is a beautifully shot film. While certain segments feel slightly forced from a visual perspective, the cinematography as a whole perfectly captures the essence of the film. At times I wished the supporting cast were more developed and focused on, but the central performances here are so strong that I rarely even cared. Overall, Behind the Candelabra is a generous look inside the life of one of America’s most “theatrical” musicians. From scenes filled with black comedy to emotional despair, I can’t recommend this film enough.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:37 pm
Director

The Kings of Summer-- **1/2

I saw this at a free screening in Bethesda, MD. It's enjoyable in the moment and it made me laugh a little and feel a little emotion at times, but the whole thing just feels a bit too sit-com-ish for me. It's the kind of movie that does nothing radically wrong, but nothing radically right either. It'll play perfectly on TV, but I wouldn't recommend a theater outing for it.

War Horse-- ***1/2

Now here's one I'll remember. This is old-fashioned movie-making at a very high level, and I was thoroughly entertained every step of the way. Yes, we all know how sentimental Speilberg can be, but he nails it here. Your mileage may vary, but in my case, I was impressed at how much this movie made me care about a horse. Much of the movie is a series of World War I vignettes with the horse as the thread that ties them together. It may seem like a scattershot approach, but it really works beautifully, and the ending is note-perfect. Even though the war violence is nowhere near as realistic as, say Saving Private Ryan, I appreciate the fact that Speilberg once again flawlessly delivers a similar message: in war, there are no "good guys" and "bad guys" in the traditional sense, only men trying to do their jobs.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:01 pm
Critic

KWRoss wrote:

in war, there are no "good guys" and "bad guys" in the traditional sense, only men trying to do their jobs.

In World War I, maybe, but in a broader sense I think there are many cases where your statement is very wrong.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:20 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

in war, there are no "good guys" and "bad guys" in the traditional sense, only men trying to do their jobs.

In World War I, maybe, but in a broader sense I think there are many cases where your statement is very wrong.

Okay, fair point. Maybe I should've said "few" rather than "no." Basically, I liked that War Horse showed both sides of the conflict and ultimately didn't have any stake on who won.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:26 pm
Second Unit Director

*SPOILER ALERT* for the title gives away the ending. Maybe.
John Dies At The End
I can sometimes appreciate this film for not bending to genre norms, or any kind of norms at all. Some parts are genuinly funny. The introductory question of "can a zombie slaying ax thrice repaired still be considered the same ax?" tells us exactly what kind of experience we're in for.

But I'm not sure everything holds together very well. There are some clever moments, twists, etc. but the plot ends up being relatively simplistic once the initial set up has been accomplished. At times I was reminded of the far superiour Hitchikkers Guide to the Galaxy.

I saw Bubba Ho Tep a long time ago and I kind of remember having similar feelings (great premise, set up, and some nice scenes but overall iffily executed).

2.5 out of 4
-Jeremy

Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:31 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Jack Reacher (2012)
Apparently at random, a sniper shoots innocent people, but leaves enough traces for the police to arrest a former army sniper and build a tight case against him. The accused veteran doesn’t talk during interrogation, but only writes a note saying “Get Jack Reacher”. While the police are finding out that Jack Reacher is a highly decorated former army investigator, who has gone off the grid since leaving the Army, the man himself (Tom Cruise) shows up and, after suspecting that there is more behind the shootings than meets the eye, agrees to do some detective work on behalf of the accused’s defence lawyer (Rosamunde Pike).
Do you also think that generic names like ’Michael Clayton’ or ‘Jack Reacher’ don’t make good movie title? I suppose it doesn’t really matter, but the blandness of the title pervades the whole movie. I have since learned that Jack Reacher is a well-known character in a series of popular “airport novels”, so there may be some name recognition for fans of the books - but the movie is still bland. It is the sort of detective mystery which you might find in cop shows such as CSI, but these don’t last for over two hours. A few fistfights and a car chase don’t raise the movie to a cinematic level either. While the movie is generally well-made, the acting is pretty bad. Tom Cruise is badly miscast. From the movie and from what I’ve read about the Jack Reacher books, I gather that the character is meant to be the stoic loner type, the mysterious stranger riding into town to sort out the bad guys. You’d need someone with the charisma of a Robert Mitchum or Clint Eastwood to make this character work. Tom Cruise can do many things well (perhaps not that many), but playing this type of character isn’t one of them, irrespective of his (lack of) physical likeness to the Jack Reacher character from the novels. Also, he underplays his role, which just gives the impression of him not being very interested in the movie. Rosamund Pike is just plain awful. And then there’s Werner Herzog, whose participation in the movie got me interested in it in the first place. His role has been critically praised, but I think this is a case of critical favouritism, because Herzog is a deservedly admired filmmaker but he simply cannot act. Overall, ‘Jack Reacher’ isn’t exactly bad, but a below average humdrum thriller. 4/10

End of Watch (2012)
Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Pena play two police officers and close friends in South Central L.A. The movie follows their routine assignments until they cause problems for a brutal Mexican drug gang.
I liked this movie a lot less than JamesKunz (and most critics), but I admire how the police officers in ‘End of Watch’ are portrayed as dedicated and hard-working policemen who feel pride in doing their jobs and try to do it to the best of their abilities. Too often, Hollywood movies focus on the maverick cop, police corruption or present the police and gangsters as two sides of the same coin. The actors did a great job in creating realistic characters and there is a tangible feeling of friendship between the two main characters. Unfortunately, the sense of realism, which the movie strives after, is undermined once the cop movie plot kicks in. And then there is the style of filmmaking, which totally ruined the movie for me: Director David Ayer has opted to use a lot faux “real” footage like in a “found footage movie”, i.e. the movie is made to look as having been spliced together from CCTV footage or videos taken with mobile phone. Jake Gyllenhaal’s character sometimes films stuff for a movie project with a video camera, too. However, this approach isn’t seen through consistently and the supposedly “real” footage is therefore exposed as phony. Regardless of what type of footage, Ayer shakes the handheld camera wildly, which made ‘End of Watch’ near unwatchable for me at times. This technique is supposed to enhance the sense of realism but actually has the opposite effect. Our brain compensates for the movement of our bodies and we don’t see badly shaken images through our eyes. Using the shaky handheld camera style draws attention to the fact that we are watching something through the lens of a camera. Also, whatever technique you use to make a movie look more real, using well-known actors such as Jake Gyllenhaal makes me aware that I’m watching a movie anyway. ‘End of Watch’ would have been much, much better, if it had been filmed in a conventional style. ‘End of Watch’ is still too good to call it a bad film, but it’s close, regrettably. 4/10

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:40 pm
Director

Beasts of the Southern Wild

This movie has a rhythm, and if you fall into it I supposed you'll like it. I didn't quite fall into that rhythm, and wasn't totally enraptured by it, but the location shooting is impressive; it really gives you a sense of place. Plus, the acting by mostly non-professionals is top-notch. All in all, I thought this film was all right.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:54 pm
Director

Before Midnight-- ***1/2

Very much in the same vain of the previous two movies, that is, until the final 30 or so minutes. Whoa. That was intense. I have no doubt that the fight that Jesse and Celine get into is realistic, but it may have gone on just a bit too long. I wonder how audiences, even art house audiences, would feel about watching a couple fight for 20 uninterrupted minutes. Still though, it's a memorable movie and has a shot at my Top 10 by the end of the year.

and, deep breath now.....

The Help-- ***1/2

I'm aware of many of the claims of "glossing over" certain aspects of how rotten the treatment really was for black maids during this time period, but for me, it wasn't egregious. This movie was a very affecting story. The most important thing for a race-relations movie to get right is not just to depict racist whites as one-dimensionally evil, but to recognize the societal pressures inherent in behaving that way. In my mind, this movie got that right. Even some of the more over-the-top characters (like those played by Jessica Chastain and Bryce Dallas Howard) are given at least a little dimension, especially in the very last scene. And Viola Davis should've made it a clean sweep by winning Best Actress.

Yeah, I know a certain someone on this board is going to give me a lot of shit for this one. So come at me, bro.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:04 pm
Producer

Not me, though. I enjoyed the movie and really liked Jessica Chastain's comic and tragic relief.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:35 am
Producer

Army of Shadows: this was covered in the Melville forum so I won't go into detail here. It's an episodic and stark movie about the French resistance struggling to stay a step ahead (or not more than one step behind) the movie. It took a long time to reach America because of political stupidity: it happened to appear at a time when de Gaulle was unpopular with the left and it deals with a time when de Gaulle was the hero of the Free French and the resistance was associated with him. It's a bit like denouncing a movie about D-Day because you don't like Eisenhower (although there is a scene with de Gaulle which stuck in their craw and I don't blame them there).

The political confrontrations are long gone, and we can now appreciate the best film about the French Resistance we're likely to see. (9 of 10)

Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:45 am
The King of Comedy

Somehow I avoided this movie until now. As I had anticipated: there is an uneasy feeling all the way through. I don't think (or at least didn't feel) this movie is about celebrity worship. It is about a completely delusional character who "keeps on coming". I was - in a way - reminded of Jared Leto's character's mother Sara Goldfarb in "Requiem for a Dream" - who also dreams about being the "star" of a tv show - completely with somehow similar looking (blurred and smeared) 80s/90s tv/video footage.

This character, Robert Pupkin (Robert De Niro) stands for so many people desperately trying to make it (in the showbiz), but are unable to come to terms with their own mediocrity. Pupkin isn't violent, even his kidnapping scheme is never ment to actually hurt the victim (Jerry Lewis' character, a celebrity), he is just a simpleton.

I think the main message of the movie is: chances are you (bright, talented or not) will never make it (in showbiz), but in the world of the few who did make it - nothing is as happy as it seems.

It was nice to see Jerry Lewis for once in a completely straight and sad role, and convincingly so, with not a hint of comedy.
De Niro is great as the totally unfunny, but goofy, stand up comedian. The audience laughing on cue at anything is another statement the movie makes altogeter.

This movie isn't fun to watch, but I think it is essential viewing.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:22 am
Director

Juice (1992)

Rented and re-watched Ernest Dickerson's directorial debut for the first time in several years. After noting a while back that Straight Out Of Brooklyn doesn't hold up that well, I was curious to see what my reaction to this one might be.

Certain aspects of it seem dated sure. But on the whole this one holds up pretty well. It's definitely not in the top tier of Urban dramas that Boyz N The Hood, Fresh and Menace II Society occupy. But it's the best of the also-rans without a doubt.

Watching Tupac Shakur in this, I was reminded that he was a legitimately talented actor who might have gone on to serious success had he not been shot dead in Las Vegas in 1996. Omar Epps also does pretty good in the lead role. Other points in Juice's favor: the excellent cinematography (not surprising given that Dickerson lensed Spike Lee's first six films and a couple of John Sayles ones) and the excellent use of several old school hip-hop songs on the soundtrack (especially Eric B and Rakim's "Know The Ledge" and Naughty By Nature's "Uptown Anthem").

Brief Digressions.1: When I first saw Juice at 14 I hadn't seen Chinatown and so I didn't spot the homage to what would become one of my favorite films of all-time. This time, spotted it immediately and chuckled when it was explicitly referenced. 2: The scene where Epps is wearing a hoodie while on the run from a crazed Shakur is especially chilling nowadays in the wake of Trayvon Martin.

On the whole ***1/2.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:16 am
Critic

Syd Henderson wrote:
Army of Shadows: this was covered in the Melville forum so I won't go into detail here. It's an episodic and stark movie about the French resistance struggling to stay a step ahead (or not more than one step behind) the movie. It took a long time to reach America because of political stupidity: it happened to appear at a time when de Gaulle was unpopular with the left and it deals with a time when de Gaulle was the hero of the Free French and the resistance was associated with him. It's a bit like denouncing a movie about D-Day because you don't like Eisenhower (although there is a scene with de Gaulle which stuck in their craw and I don't blame them there).

The political confrontrations are long gone, and we can now appreciate the best film about the French Resistance we're likely to see. (9 of 10)

Fuck, fuck yes my friend. What a film, what a film!

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:28 am
Critic

KWRoss wrote:

The Help-- ***1/2

I'm aware of many of the claims of "glossing over" certain aspects of how rotten the treatment really was for black maids during this time period, but for me, it wasn't egregious. This movie was a very affecting story. The most important thing for a race-relations movie to get right is not just to depict racist whites as one-dimensionally evil, but to recognize the societal pressures inherent in behaving that way. In my mind, this movie got that right. Even some of the more over-the-top characters (like those played by Jessica Chastain and Bryce Dallas Howard) are given at least a little dimension, especially in the very last scene. And Viola Davis should've made it a clean sweep by winning Best Actress.

Yeah, I know a certain someone on this board is going to give me a lot of shit for this one. So come at me, bro.

Ross! Hey...how's it going? Glad to see you're watching some movies and...oh...you just gave The Help 3.5 stars. Well that's a horse of a different color isn't it? I'm going to put my rant behind a spoiler tag so you can just ignore it if you want, k?

In any case...

[Reveal] Spoiler:
WHAT THE EVERLOVING SHIT, MAN? This is a movie about race relations in the 1960s that
A. Focuses on the true drama of the story...whether an "unattractive" girl played by Emma Stone can get a book deal
B. Is so poorly constructed that it wants us to feel sorry for a person who steals from her employer and gets in trouble for it
C. FEATURES BLACK PEOPLE SHITTING IN WHITE PEOPLE'S PIES FOR HUMOR'S SAKE. This was the 1960s, the last decade in which blacks had to suffer through legalized, codified racism and discrimination, and (most importantly) violence. This was not a time when black people, again, shat in white people's pies and giggled about it or (maybe) at worst lost their jobs. Look at Emmett Till. Look at EMMETT MOTHERFUCKING TILL. Now I'm not saying the 1960s was anywhere close to this bad, but imagine a Holocaust movie where the zany concentration camp inmates took dumps in the Commandant's pies so the audience could laugh when he took a bite.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:35 am
Hanna (rewatch). For some reason I really like this movie. Yes, it is plagued with plotholes and tropes, including action scenes at night in an industrial setting, magically fully functioning outside the screenplay - "Cobra"-style (this time a container terminal complete with welding going on) with no security and seemingly magically operating on its own (or by workers who just don't care) - but the hell with it, it works. The neo-hippie family with a daughter who doesn't buy her parent's bullshit - and even provides more than just hints at being a lesbian lusting for Hanna - works, the friendly, greasy middle-aged has-been guy living in a fairytale theme park works, the gay-ish bad guys (please forgive me for being politically incorrect for a second) "A Clockwork Orange"- style work and the electronic/sound design soundtrack by the Chemical Brothers works.
Saoirse Ronan is a gifted actress (IMHO) and believable as a genetically manipulated child, saved by Eric Bana from an abandoned top secret military project (not exactly original, but more than good enough). She doesn't look even remotely German (trust me), but "nordic" is good enough and that girl has real acting chops.

Yes: the german accent of Eric Bana and the american accent of Cate Blanchett are annoying (because they don't sound right - Ronan almost nails the german accent BTW!!! Now that's talent), but I'm fine, I like to see both on screen.

Bring on the sequel already - there are tons of possibilities for a good screenplay.

Last edited by Threeperf35 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:36 pm
Sorry, again I hit the "quote" instead of the "edit" button - please disregard this post.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:39 pm
Cinematographer

Star Trek Into Darkness - ***1/2 out of *****

I finally got around to seeing this film. It was a good film, but not as enjoyable as the first. For one thing: without the feeling of discovery I had when seeing the first in terms of what Abrams and Co did to the franchise, the plot holes were more noticeable. It also didn't help that the film's plot was highly predictable. I mean, when Dr McCoy was sitting beside the tribble later in the film, I was saying out loud, "Hurry up and look at it already!", probably to the surprise and consternation of the girls sitting beside me in the theater. Anyone who didn't see that plot point coming is likely 10 years old or younger. The pacing helped to overcome these deficiencies, however, as Abrams knows enough to run quickly over the shaky parts. The dialogue and performances by actors, particularly Pegg and Saldana also helped. Benedict Cumberbatch played a convincing villain mainly because he conveyed a genuinely legitimate motivation for his actions- if anything, he was underused as the villain overall, it's a pity. It was also weird for me to see Peter Weller in a major film for the first time in years. All in all, it was a decent summer flick.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:59 pm
Cinematographer

The Thing (2011) - ** out of *****

What can I say? Too predictable, not scary because this film does what a good horror film shouldn't: show too much of the eponymous creature. I"m more of a psychological horror fan, so when I see a film that hits you in the face repeatedly with the supposedly horrifying creature, I get bored instead of scared.

It's too bad too, because the whole premise of the film COULD have been used to craft a truly frightening experience. I mean, come on! The freaking creature IMITATES its victims- if they gave it intelligence and made it harder to detect than simply by spitting out fillings, then it really could have been something to see as a good example of horror. The fact that this creature was as subtle as a hungry dog on a piece of steak just made it more like watching a not-particularly-interesting animal show featuring predators. Yawn.

On a related note: the X-Files episode "Ice" was a better example of the whole "isolated group is under attack by an unknown extraterrestrial lifeform" when used as a horror premise. That episode was really eerie, mainly because it maintained the idea of keeping the audience in the dark about exactly what the protagonists were dealing with. In fact, I think Cris Carter cited the same source (the novella "Who Goes There?" by John W Campbell) that inspired The Thing films as the creative inspiration for that episode.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:15 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:
The Help-- ***1/2

The book is fantastic.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:01 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:
The Help-- ***1/2

And exactly how will that shit be delivered? ;)

Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:02 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 619, 620, 621, 622, 623, 624, 625 ... 808  Next