Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:56 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 616, 617, 618, 619, 620, 621, 622 ... 787  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Critic

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
KWRoss wrote:
Movie No. 19 for the month of May. James Kunz, as promised, I have nutted up and watched more movies :)

That's my boy! UNGGHHHHH! THAT'S THE SOUND OF MANLINESS!

Tue May 28, 2013 11:08 pm
Second Unit Director

The Fast and the Furious (2001) 2/4

Paul Walker is going native—not for any real reason though. Individuals generally go native after they have been observing a group for quite sometime. These researchers or undercover agents take on identities that reflect the group they are observing. The observer becomes immersed in the culture, and feels some sort of strong attachment to the group. The group trusts the observer, and everyone accepts this person as a figure in such a group. Thus the observer’s judgment begins to become blurred. Of course all of this is brilliantly portrayed in The Fast and the Furious. Paul Walker is ready to walk over to the dark side after a few bottles of Corona and NOS. Do we ever see any inner turmoil from Walker? Are we ever given any real reason to understand his sympathies with these characters? Nah, but we’re given plenty of fast cars and low cut shirts to make up for the lack of credible dialogue and overall intelligence. I understand this is a car movie. It’s about cars. But when you interject a character that just casually drifts over to the sympathies of the criminal world, its best if you give your audience a little more of an explanation. But it’s not just Walkers character. None of these characters are developed really. We don’t know why they are doing what they’re doing. The viewer isn’t given much background. They simply shine, bright and pretty just like the cars they race. I suppose this film is fine for mere action entertainment, but don’t expect much under the hood.

Last edited by JackBurns on Wed May 29, 2013 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 29, 2013 12:43 am
Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:
Movie No. 19 for the month of May. James Kunz, as promised, I have nutted up and watched more movies :)

Melancholia

Put this one in the "flawed but fascinating" category. On the one hand, it's an end-of-the-world movie that's really about a small group of people and how they cope. Kirsten Dunst is extraordinary; even during some of the movie's slower spots (predominantly in the beginning as it takes a long time to set events in motion), she's the glue that holds the film together. And it's a visual tour de force; the opening images and music may have a whiff of pretension to them, but they're awe-inspiring to watch, and you can say the same thing about the film as a whole.

On the other hand, WOW, this movie's science is as godawful as I have seen in a long time. I'd understand an asteroid headed on a collision Earth, but a "hidden" planet? Really? That graph showing the trajectory of both Earth and the planet Melancholia was laughable, and how the hell does the planet "fly by" Earth one night and then return one day later to collide with it? Give me a break. I know science fiction is allowed to bend a few rules, but for a movie that is clearly set in our reality, at least try not to have logical gaps that a high school student could poke holes in.

Still though, I like the movie and think it's worth watching. I like it when something epic and global like worldwide destruction is given an intimate, character-based perspective. It's a refreshing change of pace. 3 stars out of 4.

I wasn't a fan of this film. Put me in the, "its very pretentious" category. With that said I didn't take the film's events as literal. The giant planet that also holds the same name for the ailment of depression doesn't seem to be called that for no apparent reason. My take is that Von Trier was creating a setting that represented Dunst's state of mind. Her own world is in danger, because of her unstable mood/depression. ie her world is being destroyed by a bleak, mundane world or the way she now views the world around her.

Wed May 29, 2013 12:56 am
Producer

Wife vs. Secretary features Myrna Loy as the Wife, Jean Harlow as the Secretary and Clark Gable as the publisher/husband they have in common in a romantic triangle of the imagination as gossip finally overcomes Loy's tranquility because with a secretary as talented and beautiful as Harlow, Gable must be straying. Right?

This sounds like more of a comedy than it is. Harlow plays secretary Whitey Wilson as very intelligent, trustworthy and so dedicated that her ambitions are threatening her relation with James Stewart. However her relationship with her boss is strictly professional (although temptation does threaten toward the end). Actually her sexuality is positively restrained compared with Myrna Loy, who is really, really pleased by her husband. May Robson is on hand as Gable's mother, who is so cynical about the ways of men that she almost destroys her son's marriage. (7 of 10)

Myrna Loy and Jean Harlow are an interesting pairing. It's too bad they only got to make a couple of films together before Harlow's untimely death. The other one Libeled Lady, is on TCM on Thursday, and, though I've only seen part of it, that part was great (and Harlow stole the movie).

Last edited by Syd Henderson on Wed May 29, 2013 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 29, 2013 2:00 am
Producer

The rule on Harlow is that in anything before 1932, she's awful (even though Hell's Angels and The Public Enemy are fine films.) and from 1932 on, she's good to excellent. She took acting lessons and turned more to comedy, which she was really good at. (She also turned 21. Harlow started off pretty young. Fortunately for us since she died at age 26.

Wed May 29, 2013 2:00 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
The Strangers (2008) ***

What a bleak movie. Up there with Alien3 really, in terms of the movies that don't even believe in the possibility of hope or human goodness. One of the better horror films I've seen from the 2000s, not that that is saying especially much.

I loved this one, it's so hard to find an uncompromising horror movie that manages to be effective as well.

Wed May 29, 2013 4:49 am
Cinematographer

KWRoss wrote:

Melancholia

Put this one in the "flawed but fascinating" category. On the one hand, it's an end-of-the-world movie that's really about a small group of people and how they cope. Kirsten Dunst is extraordinary; even during some of the movie's slower spots (predominantly in the beginning as it takes a long time to set events in motion), she's the glue that holds the film together. And it's a visual tour de force; the opening images and music may have a whiff of pretension to them, but they're awe-inspiring to watch, and you can say the same thing about the film as a whole.

On the other hand, WOW, this movie's science is as godawful as I have seen in a long time. I'd understand an asteroid headed on a collision Earth, but a "hidden" planet? Really? That graph showing the trajectory of both Earth and the planet Melancholia was laughable, and how the hell does the planet "fly by" Earth one night and then return one day later to collide with it? Give me a break. I know science fiction is allowed to bend a few rules, but for a movie that is clearly set in our reality, at least try not to have logical gaps that a high school student could poke holes in.

Still though, I like the movie and think it's worth watching. I like it when something epic and global like worldwide destruction is given an intimate, character-based perspective. It's a refreshing change of pace. 3 stars out of 4.

It's obvious that the science of the film wouldn't hold under scrutiny. I don't think Von Trier was aiming for a sci-fi film per se. I can understand your concerns, but I was too engaged in the emotional aspects of the characters to care about the science.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Wed May 29, 2013 5:55 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Thief12 wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

Melancholia

It's obvious that the science of the film wouldn't hold under scrutiny. I don't think Von Trier was aiming for a sci-fi film per se. I can understand your concerns, but I was too engaged in the emotional aspects of the characters to care about the science.

It was an even bigger problem for JB, who gave it 2.5 stars. It's still a compelling movie (and earns bonus points for Dunst getting completely naked, giggity....), but I feel like it would've been better had they left the cause of Earth's destruction unexplained.

Wed May 29, 2013 11:26 am
Second Unit Director

The King of Comedy (1982) 3.5/4

I’ve heard arguments that this film is too thematically similar to Taxi Driver. I can see the complaint, but (for me) it never took away from the film’s substance or quality. Scorsese crafts a film that goes inside the mind of a lowlife, while constructing a narrative that goes between fantasy and reality. I have to say the structure of the film took me while to get used to, but once I got a grasp on the fantasy elements it was smooth sailing. All throughout the film I thought, this is something clearly ahead of its time. Scorsese perfectly captures the obsession that revolves around celebrities, and the peculiar people that want to be apart of their lives. These are the people, like Deniro’s Rupert Pupkin, that want to be acknowledged like their Hollywood heroes. After a while glorifying their idol is no longer enough. It’s here that the film builds a very uncomfortable tone, which works masterfully throughout the films entirety. Scorsese constructs a window into the lives of fanatics, while at the same time offering elements of black comedy that compliment the film as a whole. I have to say that I really liked this film, and while at times it may feel slightly familiar it still functions wonderfully on its own merits.

Thu May 30, 2013 6:38 pm
Second Unit Director

Tsotsi (2005) 3/4

A moving drama centered on a young hood who finds himself in a unwanted position. The acting in this film is rock solid, and themes are filled with emotion. With that said I wasn’t completely sold on the change of heart from our main character, and was ultimately left with the reasoning of local hospital commercials that solely declare, “Having a baby changes everything.”

2 Fast 2 Furious (2003) 1/4

The sort of sequel to The Fast and the Furious makes its predecessor look like a masterpiece of cinema. Once again our main character is Paul Walker, the best racer in America, who blurts out things like, “I’ve got you bruh” and “ It’s time to party”. He’s on the run from the law because he let Vin Diesel slip away in the last film, because you know..they were both so emotionally connected. Bad things happen, Walker is caught by police and is quickly given an ultimatum: Allow us to harness your racing skills in order to take down a bad guy, or else! Of course Walker takes the offer, and is given the chance to reunite with a childhood friend to help him in his quest. Walker and his friend have to go get some money and bring it to the drug dealer/crime boss in order for the FBI-Customs operation to swoop in and take this bad dude down. Singleton constructs this process in a boring, over the top manner. The third act of this film is egregious. The police are chasing Walker and his pal, but aren’t they working for the police? Couldn’t the FBI just place a call and stop this unnecessary chase? They could, but the characters in this film aren’t that smart. This is a film where characters have to do everything the hard way, because it just wouldn’t be the same if they didn’t.

Fri May 31, 2013 12:17 am
Assistant Director

Movie No. 20. Goal reached. This should do it for May.

The Tree of Life

Did not care for this. It's art for art's sake. Every single frame of this movie is meticulously, lovingly photographed, and the sequences of life on Earth first coming into being are phenomenal, but what in God's name does this have to do with the rest of the story, an undercooked family drama set in the 1950s? Every time I think the movie is about to settle into a groove and actually start telling a story, you know, one with well-developed characters and memorable dialogue, the music and the directorial flourishes come rushing back and won't get out of the way. This movie left me cold. Emotions are too few and far between. Strong acting all around, but for what purpose, exactly? Maybe I just didn't "get" it. 2 stars out of 4.

Fri May 31, 2013 2:00 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:
The Tree of Life

It's art for art's sake.

What a shame? :|

Fri May 31, 2013 3:36 am
Critic

JJoshay wrote:
KWRoss wrote:
The Tree of Life

It's art for art's sake.

Lolz

Fri May 31, 2013 6:18 am
Assistant Director

JamesKunz wrote:
JJoshay wrote:
KWRoss wrote:
The Tree of Life

It's art for art's sake.

Lolz

I was probably too tired to write coherently. What I meant to say is that it's pretentious, and that's a word I don't use often to describe a movie.

Fri May 31, 2013 9:48 am
Second Unit Director

JackBurns wrote:
The King of Comedy (1982) 3.5/4

I’ve heard arguments that this film is too thematically similar to Taxi Driver. I can see the complaint, but (for me) it never took away from the film’s substance or quality. Scorsese crafts a film that goes inside the mind of a lowlife, while constructing a narrative that goes between fantasy and reality. I have to say the structure of the film took me while to get used to, but once I got a grasp on the fantasy elements it was smooth sailing. All throughout the film I thought, this is something clearly ahead of its time. Scorsese perfectly captures the obsession that revolves around celebrities, and the peculiar people that want to be apart of their lives. These are the people, like Deniro’s Rupert Pupkin, that want to be acknowledged like their Hollywood heroes. After a while glorifying their idol is no longer enough. It’s here that the film builds a very uncomfortable tone, which works masterfully throughout the films entirety. Scorsese constructs a window into the lives of fanatics, while at the same time offering elements of black comedy that compliment the film as a whole. I have to say that I really liked this film, and while at times it may feel slightly familiar it still functions wonderfully on its own merits.

I love this film. I remember I first watched it because of Scorsese and DeNiro, and afterwards wondered why it's not more famous, and how I hadn't heard of it before. De Niro is stupendous, and against type as well. Lewis was also wonderful. ITA with everything else you mentioned, but FWIW I never thought it was too thematically similar to Taxi Driver. The two films' approaches are markedly different to be sure, though I'd maybe grant that it's a variation on a theme of Taxi Driver.

Fri May 31, 2013 1:02 pm
Second Unit Director

Gwaihir wrote:
I love this film. I remember I first watched it because of Scorsese and DeNiro, and afterwards wondered why it's not more famous, and how I hadn't heard of it before. De Niro is stupendous, and against type as well. Lewis was also wonderful. ITA with everything else you mentioned, but FWIW I never thought it was too thematically similar to Taxi Driver. The two films' approaches are markedly different to be sure, though I'd maybe grant that it's a variation on a theme of Taxi Driver.

Glad to know theres is more loved around the forum that is dedicated to The King of Comedy.

About the Taxi Driver similarities... People say "They're both about a loner, lowlife who decides to do a criminal deed in order to get recognition."

Fri May 31, 2013 4:55 pm
Director

I'm a huge fan of The King of Comedy as well.

Now, I recently watched...

Jigoku

This is a hard film to describe. It is basically Nobuo Nakagawa's vision of hell (Jigoku literally translates as "Hell"). There's not a lot of plot, and the film is very surreal. I've never seen anything quite like it, and I'm not sure how to describe it, other than that it is remarkable visually, but it's not the kind of movie you watch for shits and gigs.

Fri May 31, 2013 5:47 pm
Director

Yeah, 2 Fast 2 Furious is roughhh. I only watched it because I was feeling completist before Fast Five came out, but the first sequel was enough to put me off Tokyo Drift , which happened last in the timeline anyway.

Fri May 31, 2013 10:05 pm
Second Unit Director

peng wrote:
Yeah, 2 Fast 2 Furious is roughhh. I only watched it because I was feeling completist before Fast Five came out, but the first sequel was enough to put me off Tokyo Drift , which happened last in the timeline anyway.

Rough is a great word to describe the film :lol:

I had never watched any of these films, probably because people had always "warned" me about them. I let the warnings go because the franchise has become such a huge action staple over the past few years, and I wanted to give them a try regardless.

Fri May 31, 2013 11:52 pm
Auteur

JackBurns wrote:
peng wrote:

Rough is a great word to describe the film :lol:

I had never watched any of these films, probably because people had always "warned" me about them. I let the warnings go because the franchise has become such a huge action staple over the past few years, and I wanted to give them a try regardless.

I thought 2 Fast was a decent film, but I can see why others don't like it. Tokyo Drift was my least favorite in the series because the new characters and the story just weren't all that interesting, sure the racing scenes were well done, but at the time I was dissapointed by the new direction the franchise had taken(I saw TD before the fourth film came out), thankfully the fourth film put the series back on track.

Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:42 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 616, 617, 618, 619, 620, 621, 622 ... 787  Next