Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:15 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15671 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 784  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
crazykate wrote:
Donkey Punch: I didn't know the expression "donkey punch" before I watched this film. I wish I still didn't. I enjoyed it in a bored on a Sunday afternoon kind of way, and it will stick in my mind. Has anyone else seen it?

Yes. I went in hoping the movie would be as ballsy as its title. It wasn't -- and it takes itself waaay too seriously in the final act.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:22 am
The Searchers. My roommate had to watch it for a Rhetorical Criticism class. I read Ebert's Great Movies review after I saw it and thought he nailed it. I felt like it was 2/3 of a real movie, with 1/3 of a weird slapstick comedy thrown in. If they get rid of the neighbors and the silly parts of the love story, and instead focused on and expanded the actual search--made it more of a road movie--it would have had more impact. This may be blasphemy, but I kept thinking it seemed like a movie begging to be remade with a tighter focus around the two searchers.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:26 am
Danny Baldwin wrote:
crazykate wrote:
Donkey Punch: I didn't know the expression "donkey punch" before I watched this film. I wish I still didn't. I enjoyed it in a bored on a Sunday afternoon kind of way, and it will stick in my mind. Has anyone else seen it?

Yes. I went in hoping the movie would be as ballsy as its title. It wasn't -- and it takes itself waaay too seriously in the final act.

The final act totally ventured into "funny but it's not meant to be" territory. Almost a little Final Destination, strange and gory deaths galorish.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:31 am
I saw the Director's Cut of 1408 last night. It's a few minutes longer than the original and has a different ending. While the original is good but no masterpiece, I had hoped that the director's cut would improve on it. However to me it didn't do so. I was especially disappointed by the new ending and prefer the original ending.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:42 am
Watched There's Something About Mary for the first time last night.

Hit-or-miss comedy with some laughs scattered throughout, but wildly in-consistent. The scenes that made me laugh the most were anything involving the dog as some moments involving Matt Dillon. Ben Stiller puts on his usual "American Hugh Grant" routine and Lee Evans is average at best. The film does shine through when Cameron Diaz is on screen, as she is able to make Mary a likable character, which is important considering the sleaziness around her, which is part of why the film picks up in the third act. Despite some rough patches throughout the story, it's Diaz and Dillon that make this watchable. Almost.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:57 pm
In the last 24 hours I have watched: Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist, Zack and Miri (for the second time!), Return to Me and South Pacific.

Unfortunately, not much else got done in that time span.

-Jordyn

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:59 pm
I watched The Fellowship of the Ring last night. Iv'e seen it too many times to count. 4/4

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:00 pm
I watched and independent Canadian film called Everything's Gone Green two nights ago. My stepdad got it for me thinking it was a slacker comedy, turned out to be a pretty deep, dark comedy... it was basically about how materialistic people can be- all that deep stuff. The acting was good, it was written terrifically by an author named Douglas Coupland, and it had some excellent cinematography, making Vancouver look stunningly beautiful.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:00 pm
I rewatched The Dark Knight and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind yesterday. <3 I also watched The Class, which I enjoyed way more than I thought I would. Total slice-of-life picture, grounded in realism and always interesting. Really well-written, too.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:06 pm
Just finished watching Scum and Sexy Beast. Scum.. hard hitting challenging and very involving drama and Ray Winstone is just excellent.

Sexy Beast is just fun. An old style Brit gangster flick like Get Carter and Long Good Friday, elevated by a staggering performance by Ben Kingsley as a tourettes suffering psycho for those who haven't seen it.

The writers of Sexy Beast are dueto follow it up with something similar called 44 Inch Chest which comes out this summer. Desperately want to see this!

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:19 pm
Europa Europa. Very compelling movie. Not in my top five of WW2 era movies (that's a hard list to crack, with Saving Private Ryan and the Pianist heading the list), but it'd be on the top 10.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:26 pm
In theaters--Coraline. I really liked it, and my daughter didn't move she was so mesmerized.
On Tv-The Contender. I really enjoyed this movie with Jeff Bridges as the President nominating a female VP.
DVD-Sex and Breakfast. A slow, boring movie with Macauley Culkin and Eliza Dushku. Don't waste your time.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:14 pm
bob harris wrote:
In theaters--Coraline. I really liked it, and my daughter didn't move she was so mesmerized.
On Tv-The Contender. I really enjoyed this movie with Jeff Bridges as the President nominating a female VP.
DVD-Sex and Breakfast. A slow, boring movie with Macauley Culkin and Eliza Dushku. Don't waste your time.

I really, really want to see this. Thing is, I won't be able to for a little while because my dad is moving, so my life is pretty much a commotion right now.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:16 pm
That reminds me: I, too, saw Coraline. I was pretty happy with it, though I wonder how different it would have been if it were directed at adults, sort of a la Pan's Labyrinth. There was a lot of potential for really scary and/or tension-packed moments that didn't end up being used. Also, the whole thing had a potential to be psychologically mortifying, so if they played that at a ten instead of a two, it could been a really claustrophobic and/or intense experience. But it works as is.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:42 pm
Slumdog Millionaire -- 3.5 stars.

An amazing and compelling movie with excellent acting, especially from the child actors.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:22 pm
Halloween(1978)

2.5 Stars...

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:30 pm
quasiinjun wrote:
Halloween(1978)

2.5 Stars...

Bold statement...and one that I agree with(if that scale is out of 4).

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:32 pm
Patrick wrote:
quasiinjun wrote:
Halloween(1978)

2.5 Stars...

Bold statement...and one that I agree with(if that scale is out of 4).

Yes, out of 4. I respect its relevance but I'm not really a fan of the slasher/horror genre.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:47 pm
Pedro wrote:
That reminds me: I, too, saw Coraline. I was pretty happy with it, though I wonder how different it would have been if it were directed at adults, sort of a la Pan's Labyrinth. There was a lot of potential for really scary and/or tension-packed moments that didn't end up being used. Also, the whole thing had a potential to be psychologically mortifying, so if they played that at a ten instead of a two, it could been a really claustrophobic and/or intense experience. But it works as is.

That's a really good point it would've been interesting if they played up the psychological part.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:52 pm
Yes Man on New Year's-it was pretty good-typical Jim Carrey stuff, albeit funny and entertaining. 3 stars

Haven't been to the movies much in the last 3 years b/c of several other obligations-I Am Legend was the last movie I saw before that.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:32 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15671 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 784  Next