Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:45 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16773 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 587, 588, 589, 590, 591, 592, 593 ... 839  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Producer

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Johnny Larue wrote:
Brave (2012)

Pixar's 2012 entry is stunningly beautiful, but I am kind of getting sick of typing "unparalleled graphical detail that really pushes the bounds of technology" that accompanies these entries year in and year out. Of course the technology is always advancing, dummy, and Pixar is generally at the forefront. With that said, Brave is engaging enough and the story is fine, but it's not as whimsical as many of Pixar's previous catalog. In fact, some it is dowright dark and goes to territory that Pixar rarely treads.

If you had shown me this movie without title cards, I would have guessed it was a product of the Dreamworks animation studio rather than Pixar. Not to say that's necessarily a bad thing; Dreamworks has come a long way. But Pixar usually sets a pretty high bar and I don't think this one quite reached it. Would make for a nice double feature paired with How To Train Your Dragon, though. 3.0 / 4.0

The first film we ever took our Daughter to see. I'll always remember it for that.

I found it to be lively and merry, if a little confused. It does feature Billy Connelly, which is a plus.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:20 am
Second Unit Director

Dredd (2012) 2/4

Character Development? No. Interesting villain? No. A main character that talks like Christopher Nolan’s Batman while harnessing the charisma of Dirty Harry? Yes. In all honesty there is no substance here, and the action just honestly isn’t all that impressive.

P.S. We get it already, Slow Mo makes things really, really slow, and embedding it visually doesn’t make it “style” per se.

21 Jump Street (2012) 2.5/4

Despite it’s touches of formula and silliness, this was a perfectly fun comedy—one where you don’t expect much going in, and don’t leave with much coming out.

They Shoot Horses, Don’t They (1969) 3.5/4

This film was recommended by a ton of you, and what kind of forum member would I be if I didn’t finally get around to it? So finally I watched it, and boy what a film. I loved the social commentary of the American Dream, conveyed through a seemingly never-ending dance marathon. These characters are promised fortune, success, and fame, they follow the steps and take part in the motions but never really know if they’ll make it. But this is all they have left, essentially the only particle of hope that remains in a desolate world. The film sets a tone of misery and despair, never letting you forget the time that it encompasses. The slow burn in this film is quite remarkable; characters that are of sound mind slowly start to loose it all, and mindsets quickly change. In many ways They Shoot Horses, Don’t They reminded me of some of the latter works of the seventies, such as Taxi Driver and The Conversation (displaying characters that truly felt isolated and alone), yet it also vaguely echoed characteristics of neorealism. Overall, there is quite a bit to take in during this film, but it’s one that is sure to stay with me for some time to come.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:32 am
Second Unit Director

JackBurns wrote:

This film was recommended by a ton of you, and what kind of forum member would I be if I didn’t finally get around to it? So finally I watched it, and boy what a film. I loved the social commentary of the American Dream, conveyed through a seemingly never-ending dance marathon. These characters are promised fortune, success, and fame, they follow the steps and take part in the motions but never really know if they’ll make it. But this is all they have left, essentially the only particle of hope that remains in a desolate world. The film sets a tone of misery and despair, never letting you forget the time that it encompasses. The slow burn in this film is quite remarkable; characters that are of sound mind slowly start to loose it all, and mindsets quickly change. In many ways They Shoot Horses, Don’t They reminded me of some of the latter works of the seventies, such as Taxi Driver and The Conversation (displaying characters that truly felt isolated and alone), yet it also vaguely echoed characteristics of neorealism. Overall, there is quite a bit to take in during this film, but it’s one that is sure to stay with me for some time to come.

Very good, sir!

Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:55 am
Assistant Director

JackBurns wrote:
Dredd (2012) 2/4

Character Development? No. Interesting villain? No. A main character that talks like Christopher Nolan’s Batman while harnessing the charisma of Dirty Harry? Yes. In all honesty there is no substance here, and the action just honestly isn’t all that impressive.

P.S. We get it already, Slow Mo makes things really, really slow, and embedding it visually doesn’t make it “style” per se.

I know Dredd 3D has divided opinions in this forum but I am in the group who liked it HaHa

In regarding to Jack observations. I think that "Judge Anderson" and Madeline Madrigal (Ma-Ma) have very well developed character arc and I personally can thank enough for saving me an origin story for Judge Dredd. Oh Karl Urban changed his voice for the Dredd character but at least for me the result was not as annoying as Bale for Batman lol. I loved the interaction between Judge Dredd and rookie psychic Judge Anderson. There is a particular very impressive action scene (at least for me) where Ma-Ma and her henchmen try to take down Dredd and Anderson by literally destroying a level with very high calibre machine guns.

Did you see it in 3D or 2D?

Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:24 am
Profile WWW
Critic

JackBurns wrote:

Yay a Reelviews Forum Classic (RFC)! Such an agonizing movie. Go with your heart and go for the ****!

Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:31 am
Second Unit Director

unwindfilms wrote:
I know Dredd 3D has divided opinions in this forum but I am in the group who liked it HaHa

In regarding to Jack observations. I think that "Judge Anderson" and Madeline Madrigal (Ma-Ma) have very well developed character arc and I personally can thank enough for saving me an origin story for Judge Dredd. Oh Karl Urban changed his voice for the Dredd character but at least for me the result was not as annoying as Bale for Batman lol. I loved the interaction between Judge Dredd and rookie psychic Judge Anderson. There is a particular very impressive action scene (at least for me) where Ma-Ma and her henchmen try to take down Dredd and Anderson by literally destroying a level with very high calibre machine guns.

Did you see it in 3D or 2D?

You should know I'm going to completely disagree with you :D

I would never call Anderson or Ma-Ma's character arcs "well developed", if anything their arcs are very predictable and extremely formulaic. The same goes for Dredd and Anderson's relationship---typical mentor/rookie scenario. As for the exchanges between Dredd and Anderson? I didn't find them noteworthy--well perhaps noteworthy if you were grading it on being dry and bland.

The action scene where Ma-Ma is trying to take down Dredd is actually very neat, but come on, all it is boom boom, shoot shoot, collapse. I'm sure theres some Slow Mo in there as well.

I didn't see it in 3D, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have changed my feelings from a narrative standpoint.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:42 am
Assistant Director

Quote:
You should know I'm going to completely disagree with you :D

HaHa. My father used to tell me that only a gold coin was liked by everyone ;-). Now, to give you an idea where your opinion stands among movie critics and viewers about Dredd

Tomatometer: 78% (from 143 reviews)
IMDB: 7.1 (from 76242 votes)

In regarding to your points

Quote:
I would never call Anderson or Ma-Ma's character arcs "well developed"

Both characters are shown with an origin story that show their motivations. Anderson contrasted her character with Dredd's "black and white" perspective as everything is enhanced or clouded by the fact that she knows what is going on in the very interior of a person. Ma-Ma character convinced me as a former prostitute turned drug lord and criminal kingpin who is the sole supplier of Slo-Mo, a new and addictive drug. Finally, in the case of Anderson you can see a change as a Judge from her dramatic one day evaluation with Dredd .

Quote:
The same goes for Dredd and Anderson's relationship---typical mentor/rookie scenario. As for the exchanges between Dredd and Anderson? I didn't find them noteworthy--well perhaps noteworthy if you were grading it on being dry and bland.

Typical mentor/rookie scenario? no quite as this rookie is a psychic that complements very well Dredd's "Black and white" personality and that's very noteworthy for me ;-)

Quote:
I didn't see it in 3D, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have changed my feelings from a narrative standpoint.

The 3D added to the entertainment experience. For this movie the beginning in 3D almost made me feel the same when I saw Blade Runner begins, to be in awe from the start and from there on I was immersed and no even the occasional fancy use of the 3D took me out. The 3D made feel like I was an spectator in the set rather than in the cinema, specially when I saw the 3D blu ray movie in my studio with a big plasma 3D TV , an excellent 5.1 surround system in a pitch black studio room with not near neighbours to complain about the loud of the sound HaHa

Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

unwindfilms wrote:

Tomatometer: 78% (from 143 reviews)
IMDB: 7.1 (from 76242 votes)

In regarding to your points

Quote:
I would never call Anderson or Ma-Ma's character arcs "well developed"

Both characters are shown with an origin story that show their motivations. Anderson contrasted her character with Dredd's "black and white" perspective as everything is enhanced or clouded by the fact that she knows what is going on in the very interior of a person. Ma-Ma character convinced me as a former prostitute turned drug lord and criminal kingpin who is the sole supplier of Slo-Mo, a new and addictive drug. Finally, in the case of Anderson you can see a change as a Judge from her dramatic one day evaluation with Dredd .

Quote:
The same goes for Dredd and Anderson's relationship---typical mentor/rookie scenario. As for the exchanges between Dredd and Anderson? I didn't find them noteworthy--well perhaps noteworthy if you were grading it on being dry and bland.

Typical mentor/rookie scenario? no quite as this rookie is a psychic that complements very well Dredd's "Black and white" personality and that's very noteworthy for me ;-)

Not to sound rude, but I don't really care where my opinion stands critically. Dredd got some pretty rotten reviews, but happened to get more positive reviews. By your insinuating logic, I should love "The Help" because it has a positive RT and IMDB rating, as well as other films for that matter.

Anderson doesn't have an origin story..the audience is given a picture, and an brief explanation. I don't call that an origin story per se, and those two things are all the development you get. I'm not going to argue opinion, but Ma-Ma's character is really, really underdeveloped by most standards. Ma-Ma gets cut by a pimp, and radically takes over a whole district. That's not really believable or convincing to me.

And its a very, very typical rookie/scenario, injecting a "mutant" trait into it doesn't really make it different narratively. The arc between Dredd and Anderson is still very predictable and sticks to a normal formula: Rookie is expected to bad, Rookie does awesome in a really rough/violent situation, and eventually gets the thumbs up from Dreddy. As for Andersons personality complementing Dredd's lack of personality: I really didn't think Anderson had much of a personality, so I don't see much complementing goin on either way.

Ultimately, Dredd has no substance, it hints at looking at crime in a dystopian society but never makes a clear cut statement out of it. It hints that at a lot of issues but never really tackles any of them. All in all, Dredd is an action film thats more focused on show than tell.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:48 pm
Assistant Director

Re: Dredd, I really would've liked for them to explore this dystopian future, instead of having the action confined to a closed space. I understand there were budget reasons for that, but still, its something they should consider if a sequel ever gets green-lighted. But moreover, the films similarity with The Raid made for a mostly uneventful watch for me. Not that there wasn't enjoyment from part to part, but most of the time I kept thinking "I've seen this before".

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Thief12 wrote:
Re: Dredd, I really would've liked for them to explore this dystopian future, instead of having the action confined to a closed space. I understand there were budget reasons for that, but still, its something they should consider if a sequel ever gets green-lighted. But moreover, the films similarity with The Raid made for a mostly uneventful watch for me. Not that there wasn't enjoyment from part to part, but most of the time I kept thinking "I've seen this before".

The screenplay for Dredd was actually the inspiration for "The Raid", the latter just happened to come out first.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:23 pm
Assistant Director

In regarding JackBurns last post:

Quote:
Not to sound rude, but I don't really care where my opinion stands critically. Dredd got some pretty rotten reviews, but happened to get more positive reviews. By your insinuating logic, I should love "The Help" because it has a positive RT and IMDB rating, as well as other films for that matter.

Oh please do not feel that I was condescending you. I brought the IMDB and RT stats to help a deeper introspection. I personally, when my initial opinion does not match the average in RT and IMDB, I try to analize If I missed something and sometimes this opinion is a bit re shaped by this introspection

Quote:
Anderson doesn't have an origin story..the audience is given a picture, and an brief explanation. I don't call that an origin story per se

Well , we are now in semantics what I call an origin story of a character you expect to be the whole movie about it. The character development in the film , for me, was enough to understand the origin of the psychic powers, orphanage and introduction of Anderson to the Judge profession , the same goes for Ma-Ma but in the criminal world.

Quote:
And its a very, very typical rookie/scenario, injecting a "mutant" trait into it doesn't really make it different narratively. The arc between Dredd and Anderson is still very predictable and sticks to a normal formula: Rookie is expected to bad, Rookie does awesome in a really rough/violent situation, and eventually gets the thumbs up from Dreddy. As for Andersons personality complementing Dredd's lack of personality: I really didn't think Anderson had much of a personality, so I don't see much complementing goin on either way.

The psychic ability complement the skill set of Dredd so it is not the typical mentor/rookie scenario where the mentor knows all and the rookie is the only one learning. Anderson teaches Dredd that not always everything can be interpreted "Black and white" and "Grey areas" does exist as well as she is always helping with "Intel" if Dredd would have been alone in Peach Tress building he would have never took Ma-ma down because he would have never guessed what was going there (the slow Mo big distribution drug center) in the first place.

Quote:
Ultimately, Dredd has no substance, it hints at looking at crime in a dystopian society but never makes a clear cut statement out of it. It hints that at a lot of issues but never really tackles any of them. All in all, Dredd is an action film thats more focused on show than tell.

Dredd is a very entertaining movie with a more than average plot. I was not not expecting more from a comic book adapted to cinema . A 3 1/4 out of 4 for me!

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:46 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

unwindfilms wrote:

Oh please do not feel that I was condescending you. I brought the IMDB and RT stats to help a deeper introspection. I personally, when my initial opinion does not match the average in RT and IMDB, I try to analize If I missed something and sometimes this opinion is a bit re shaped by this introspection

Well , we are now in semantics what I call an origin story of a character you expect to be the whole movie about it. The character development in the film , for me, was enough to understand the origin of the psychic powers, orphanage and introduction of Anderson to the Judge profession , the same goes for Ma-Ma but in the criminal world.

The psychic ability complement the skill set of Dredd so it is not the typical mentor/rookie scenario where the mentor knows all and the rookie is the only one learning. Anderson teaches Dredd that not always everything can be interpreted "Black and white" and "Grey areas" does exist as well as she is always helping with "Intel" if Dredd would have been alone in Peach Tress building he would have never took Ma-ma down because he would have never guessed what was going there (the slow Mo big distribution drug center) in the first place.

Dredd is a very entertaining movie with a more than average plot. I was not not expecting more from a comic book adapted to cinema . A 3 1/4 out of 4 for me!

I don't let opinions of critics determine my film opinion. Yes, I look to see what a certain few say, sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't. Ultimately my opinion is my opinion.

I never said I wanted the whole film to be about the development of a character, but I do expect more development than was offered. You can say the background for Anderson was substantial and I won't take you to the mat for that, but to say that Ma-Ma's character, especially as a villain, is well developed is simply just not true for me. The viewer is given very little insight into this character-- a villain should be a little more well rounded and not simply hinge on a sequence of events that occur in a vague montage.

My point is, take the psychic ability away and you have a very standard, formulaic relationship between two characters. Also, I don't see Anderson as "teaching" Dredd. She's just kind of with Dredd trying to prove herself. Sure she saves Dredd's ass, but by the end I never once thought: damn Anderson sure taught Dredd a valuable lesson.Finally, I don't think it would have taken a psychic to figure out what was going down in Peach Trees, however it surely sped up the pace of the narrative.

Last edited by JackBurns on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:18 pm
Second Unit Director

Thief12 wrote:

+1

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:22 pm
Assistant Director

Thief12 wrote:

Maybe in a sequel (if it happens) this dystopian future will be more explored now the reason was not budget because this movie had a lot of CGI and special effects which was not the case to look for physical locations to do it as you could see at the beginning of it. I think the confined space (a mega -building) served this story very well. The Raid instead was a very low budget film which to be filmed in a building really helped to keep the budget down. I saw the Raid first (I also liked) and later Dredd and I agree here with JamesB that even has some similarities , Dredd is different . I have both movies in blu-ray and I have seen Dredd 4th times and the Raid only once (I did not see it in the Cinema)

Last edited by unwindfilms on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:04 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
The screenplay for Dredd was actually the inspiration for "The Raid", the latter just happened to come out first.

I wouldn't be surprised. According to Wikipedia, Dredd started filming in November 2010, while The Raid began its shoot four months later in March 2011. Of course the latter being a cheaper production without much post video processing screened first :-)

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:12 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Shame (2011)
This movie by director Steve McQueen (no not that one; this one is a black Englishman and Turner-prize winning visual artist, whose debut movie ‘Hunger’ about Bobby Sands won a prize at Cannes) has been billed as a movie about sex addiction. Although the protagonist Brandon, a yuppie New Yorker played by Michael Fassbender in a remarkable performance, has a compulsion to engage in meaningless quick sex and to consume porn, ‘Shame’ is as much about sex as ‘Pickpocket’ is about pickpocketing or ‘Taxi Driver’ about driving a cab. Like these (better) movies, it is about (self-) alienation. Although there is a lot of sex in this movie, it is never erotic due to the cold, calculated and precise style of the filmmaking, which I admired very much but which may not be everyone’s cup of tea. It could be argued that the central character isn’t developed well beyond his sex addiction (if there is such a thing indeed) and, effectively, is a vacuum of a character, but I thought that the hints about a damaged youth etc. were sufficent. A further plus is the excellent choice of songs for the soundtrack. Very good, but certainly not for everyone. 8/10

Across 110th Street (1972)
I was a bit peeved when my online video store sent this blaxploitation flick because it wasn’t at the top of the queue and I remembered it as a rather poor movie, which wasbarely tolerable due to a good soundtrack of early 70ies funk (by Bobby Womack). I must have had a different movie in mind, because ‘Across 110th Street’ is actually rather good, apart from the fine soundtrack. It starts with a very well-filmed and violent robbery in Harlem, in which three small-time crooks steal a lot of money from the mob and kill three patrolmen when they nearly botch their escape. Structurally similar to Fritz Lang’s classic “M”, the movie then follows the fate of the three robbers, the attempts by a mafia enforcer and his lieutenants from a black gang to find the robbers and set an example and the investigation by a racist white cop on the take (Anthony Quinn), who, much to his dismay, is partnered with a by-the-book black cop (Yaphet Kotto). While the subject is nothing special, it is remarkable how much effort the movie takes to provide characterisation for stock characters. Also, the movie has been filmed on location in Harlem and, combined with the blaxploitation soundtrack, offers a gritty and convincing portrayal of an urban jungle. Its violent set pieces are very well-filmed as well. Good stuff. 7/10

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:11 pm
Director

Unke wrote:

Across 110th Street (1972)
I was a bit peeved when my online video store sent this blaxploitation flick because it wasn’t at the top of the queue and I remembered it as a rather poor movie, which wasbarely tolerable due to a good soundtrack of early 70ies funk (by Bobby Womack). I must have had a different movie in mind, because ‘Across 110th Street’ is actually rather good, apart from the fine soundtrack. It starts with a very well-filmed and violent robbery in Harlem, in which three small-time crooks steal a lot of money from the mob and kill three patrolmen when they nearly botch their escape. Structurally similar to Fritz Lang’s classic “M”, the movie then follows the fate of the three robbers, the attempts by a mafia enforcer and his lieutenants from a black gang to find the robbers and set an example and the investigation by a racist white cop on the take (Anthony Quinn), who, much to his dismay, is partnered with a by-the-book black cop (Yaphet Kotto). While the subject is nothing special, it is remarkable how much effort the movie takes to provide characterisation for stock characters. Also, the movie has been filmed on location in Harlem and, combined with the blaxploitation soundtrack, offers a gritty and convincing portrayal of an urban jungle. Its violent set pieces are very well-filmed as well. Good stuff. 7/10

I like this a lot too, especially the fact that the film doesn't take the easy way out with the race angle; the white cop and black cop hate each other at the beginning of the film and by film's end they still hate each other. Much more realistic, I say.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:53 pm
Producer

I'm only familiar with Across 110th Street for the magnificent Bobby Womack album that accompanies it. I'll have to check it out.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:17 pm
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
I'm only familiar with Across 110th Street for the magnificent Bobby Womack album that accompanies it. I'll have to check it out.

I thought immediately of Jackie Brown when I saw that title. Haven't seen the film either, but it sounds interesting.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:56 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

Yeah, I knew that. There should've been some sort of agreement for them not to beat the other for the punch.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:29 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16773 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 587, 588, 589, 590, 591, 592, 593 ... 839  Next