Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:53 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15949 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 586, 587, 588, 589, 590, 591, 592 ... 798  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Author Message
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2427
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
The Room is anti-art.....10/10

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:55 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2427
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Django 2012

Well...i'm not sure what to say really.

Review to follow

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:57 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1663
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
NotHughGrant wrote:
Django 2012

Well...i'm not sure what to say really.

Review to follow


Looking forward to it.

Lawrence of Arabia 70 mm at the Aero theater.

You know, pretty fun experience. Gets a lot of laughs with an audience which might be lost on one person watching it by themselves at home...so, worth it for that reason primarily. It's not the most fun to be had at a movie, despite all the love it receives. Lean as director reminds me a lot of Tom Hooper. Master of respectability and the highest professionalism. Unafraid to let a production speak for itself. Great instincts for delivering a complete, satisfying package. See Oliver Twist for the best example of that.


Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:03 am
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7376
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
MGamesCook wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
Django 2012

Well...i'm not sure what to say really.

Review to follow


Looking forward to it.

Lawrence of Arabia 70 mm at the Aero theater.

You know, pretty fun experience. Gets a lot of laughs with an audience which might be lost on one person watching it by themselves at home...so, worth it for that reason primarily. It's not the most fun to be had at a movie, despite all the love it receives. Lean as director reminds me a lot of Tom Hooper. Master of respectability and the highest professionalism. Unafraid to let a production speak for itself. Great instincts for delivering a complete, satisfying package. See Oliver Twist for the best example of that.


What a terrible insult to David Lean

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:23 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 421
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Silver Linings Playbook (2012) - 3.5 out of 4

Alright I am going to lose a bit of my man card here but I am a sucker for romantic comedies. And no, I am not talking about those real romances (think the Before... films), I am talking about those soppy ones that make us feel warm and fuzzy at the end. Like a drug addict seeking a high, I watch one of those films every month or so because I am addicted to that high we get at the end. (Sports films can be added to the list as well.) So it should come as little surprise that this film turned out to be one of my favorites of the year. But what I especially enjoyed about it was that unlike other recent great romantic comedies (think (500) Days of Summer if you will), this one embraces the grand formula of the romantic comedy, not unlike something like When Harry Met Sally, the film that wrote the formula in the first place. SLP works because of the strength of its characters. Although the story is formulaic, the characters aren't, and that makes some of the cliches towards the end easy to overcome. And it also works because each time we see Kate Hudson or Katherine Heigl, we cringe and go cold to our very bones and end up yearning for good romantic comedies. And when something like SLP comes along, it makes us feel warm and fuzzy all over again and we end up rating it higher than we normally would. Plus when a film has lead performances like this one, there is no way in hell it is going to end up being a dud. Bradley Cooper proves he can portray deep characters in the hands of the right director. Bobby gives one of his best performances in recent memory. Jennifer Lawrence, who I must admit I have the hots for, proves that she is one of the best actresses working in Hollywood right now. (Some people dislike her off-screen persona, but each time I see her talk with no filter, I only find her even more endearing amidst all the "stars" of the industry who always say the right thing.) SLP may be a formulaic romantic comedy, but it is also formulaic in a good way, and I think it deserves to be seen if you're into leaving a film feeling all warm and fuzzy.

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:36 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:35 pm
Posts: 698
Location: Puerto Rico
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
I had a sorta "Oscar" day yesterday. Here's what I saw...

Argo Cool thriller with a tight direction by Affleck. He's also pretty solid in the lead role as muted CIA agent Tony Mendez. Kudos for building an intense, suspenseful thriller for a subject that most people might know the outcome, and without resorting to usual action/thriller clichés like explosions, fights, and shootouts. In that way, it reminded me a bit of Valkyrie. Performances were solid all around, but I'm baffled by Alan Arkin being nominated. I mean, I like the guy, but c'mon! Grade: B+

The Master Weird drama anchored by two excellent performances from Joaquin Phoenix and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. However, despite their performances, I ended up not satisfied with the overall product. I don't know if it's the polarizing nature of both characters, or the deliberately slow pace, or the quirky nature of the narrative, but there was something off about everything. And, like with Arkin above, even though I can acknowledge Amy Adams' performance, I didn't think it was Oscar-worthy. Grade: B-

Zero Dark Thirty Taut thriller neatly directed by Kathryn Bigelow. The film manages to convey the urge from all sides regarding the objective, and one can feel the obsession in Maya's character, much like in Gyllenhaal's character in Zodiac. But I think that the almost clinical approach to the film hinders its effectiveness in the end. Still solid, but I think a better film could've been made out of this. Chastain was good, but I also wasn't that surprised by her. Plus, some of her moments felt forced to me, as if the script wanted to portray her as the "coolest" and most "badass" CIA agent because she says "motherfucker" a lot in formal meetings. Grade: B

As you can see, I liked all, but I wasn't overly impressed with them.

_________________
"Get busy living, or get busy dying"

Visit my site: Thief12 profile


Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3489
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
Silver Linings Playbook (2012) - 3.5 out of 4

Alright I am going to lose a bit of my man card here but I am a sucker for romantic comedies. And no, I am not talking about those real romances (think the Before... films), I am talking about those soppy ones that make us feel warm and fuzzy at the end. Like a drug addict seeking a high, I watch one of those films every month or so because I am addicted to that high we get at the end. (Sports films can be added to the list as well.) So it should come as little surprise that this film turned out to be one of my favorites of the year. But what I especially enjoyed about it was that unlike other recent great romantic comedies (think (500) Days of Summer if you will), this one embraces the grand formula of the romantic comedy, not unlike something like When Harry Met Sally, the film that wrote the formula in the first place. SLP works because of the strength of its characters. Although the story is formulaic, the characters aren't, and that makes some of the cliches towards the end easy to overcome. And it also works because each time we see Kate Hudson or Katherine Heigl, we cringe and go cold to our very bones and end up yearning for good romantic comedies. And when something like SLP comes along, it makes us feel warm and fuzzy all over again and we end up rating it higher than we normally would. Plus when a film has lead performances like this one, there is no way in hell it is going to end up being a dud. Bradley Cooper proves he can portray deep characters in the hands of the right director. Bobby gives one of his best performances in recent memory. Jennifer Lawrence, who I must admit I have the hots for, proves that she is one of the best actresses working in Hollywood right now. (Some people dislike her off-screen persona, but each time I see her talk with no filter, I only find her even more endearing amidst all the "stars" of the industry who always say the right thing.) SLP may be a formulaic romantic comedy, but it is also formulaic in a good way, and I think it deserves to be seen if you're into leaving a film feeling all warm and fuzzy.
I disagree about Hudson and Heigl, I actually do like they're films and they don't make me go "cold" or anything like that


Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:43 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 421
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Vexer wrote:
I disagree about Hudson and Heigl, I actually do like they're films and they don't make me go "cold" or anything like that
I sort of expected that response on some level. First of all, it was a figure of speech. Secondly, I was talking about myself. I am sick of seeing them do silly rom-coms, as I am of silly rom-coms altogether. Hence I feel I always rate films like SLP higher than I should.

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7376
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Thief12 wrote:
I had a sorta "Oscar" day yesterday. Here's what I saw...

Argo Cool thriller with a tight direction by Affleck. He's also pretty solid in the lead role as muted CIA agent Tony Mendez. Kudos for building an intense, suspenseful thriller for a subject that most people might know the outcome, and without resorting to usual action/thriller clichés like explosions, fights, and shootouts. In that way, it reminded me a bit of Valkyrie. Performances were solid all around, but I'm baffled by Alan Arkin being nominated. I mean, I like the guy, but c'mon! Grade: B+

The Master Weird drama anchored by two excellent performances from Joaquin Phoenix and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. However, despite their performances, I ended up not satisfied with the overall product. I don't know if it's the polarizing nature of both characters, or the deliberately slow pace, or the quirky nature of the narrative, but there was something off about everything. And, like with Arkin above, even though I can acknowledge Amy Adams' performance, I didn't think it was Oscar-worthy. Grade: B-

Zero Dark Thirty Taut thriller neatly directed by Kathryn Bigelow. The film manages to convey the urge from all sides regarding the objective, and one can feel the obsession in Maya's character, much like in Gyllenhaal's character in Zodiac. But I think that the almost clinical approach to the film hinders its effectiveness in the end. Still solid, but I think a better film could've been made out of this. Chastain was good, but I also wasn't that surprised by her. Plus, some of her moments felt forced to me, as if the script wanted to portray her as the "coolest" and most "badass" CIA agent because she says "motherfucker" a lot in formal meetings. Grade: B

As you can see, I liked all, but I wasn't overly impressed with them.


Argo a better film than The Master AND Zero Dark Thirty? You're the reason Argo will win Best Picture -- hope you're happy about that.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:25 pm
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm
Posts: 724
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
JamesKunz wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
Django 2012

Well...i'm not sure what to say really.

Review to follow


Looking forward to it.

Lawrence of Arabia 70 mm at the Aero theater.

You know, pretty fun experience. Gets a lot of laughs with an audience which might be lost on one person watching it by themselves at home...so, worth it for that reason primarily. It's not the most fun to be had at a movie, despite all the love it receives. Lean as director reminds me a lot of Tom Hooper. Master of respectability and the highest professionalism. Unafraid to let a production speak for itself. Great instincts for delivering a complete, satisfying package. See Oliver Twist for the best example of that.


What a terrible insult to David Lean


+1


Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:45 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3489
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I disagree about Hudson and Heigl, I actually do like they're films and they don't make me go "cold" or anything like that
I sort of expected that response on some level. First of all, it was a figure of speech. Secondly, I was talking about myself. I am sick of seeing them do silly rom-coms, as I am of silly rom-coms altogether. Hence I feel I always rate films like SLP higher than I should.

One question about SLP, did you think it was a realistic depiction of Bi-Polar disorder? cause i've heard some people complain that it was not an accurate representation of the condition, some also found Cooper's character very unlikeable.


Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:44 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1688
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Vexer wrote:
One question about SLP, did you think it was a realistic depiction of Bi-Polar disorder? cause i've heard some people complain that it was not an accurate representation of the condition, some also found Cooper's character very unlikeable.


Bipolar disorder is a subject very dear to my heart; I'm quite familiar with it, and no, SLP is not an accurate depiction of it. For those who are bipolar, things don't get better; life is pretty much constant misery punctuated by brief moments of happiness. And you don't end up with Jennifer Lawrence at the end of the day. Bipolar disorder is really one of the worst things a person can endure, and it never ends.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:59 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:35 pm
Posts: 698
Location: Puerto Rico
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
JamesKunz wrote:
Thief12 wrote:
I had a sorta "Oscar" day yesterday. Here's what I saw...

Argo Cool thriller with a tight direction by Affleck. He's also pretty solid in the lead role as muted CIA agent Tony Mendez. Kudos for building an intense, suspenseful thriller for a subject that most people might know the outcome, and without resorting to usual action/thriller clichés like explosions, fights, and shootouts. In that way, it reminded me a bit of Valkyrie. Performances were solid all around, but I'm baffled by Alan Arkin being nominated. I mean, I like the guy, but c'mon! Grade: B+

The Master Weird drama anchored by two excellent performances from Joaquin Phoenix and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. However, despite their performances, I ended up not satisfied with the overall product. I don't know if it's the polarizing nature of both characters, or the deliberately slow pace, or the quirky nature of the narrative, but there was something off about everything. And, like with Arkin above, even though I can acknowledge Amy Adams' performance, I didn't think it was Oscar-worthy. Grade: B-

Zero Dark Thirty Taut thriller neatly directed by Kathryn Bigelow. The film manages to convey the urge from all sides regarding the objective, and one can feel the obsession in Maya's character, much like in Gyllenhaal's character in Zodiac. But I think that the almost clinical approach to the film hinders its effectiveness in the end. Still solid, but I think a better film could've been made out of this. Chastain was good, but I also wasn't that surprised by her. Plus, some of her moments felt forced to me, as if the script wanted to portray her as the "coolest" and most "badass" CIA agent because she says "motherfucker" a lot in formal meetings. Grade: B

As you can see, I liked all, but I wasn't overly impressed with them.


Argo a better film than The Master AND Zero Dark Thirty? You're the reason Argo will win Best Picture -- hope you're happy about that.


I'm not a member of the Academy so, no. You're statement is wrong.

_________________
"Get busy living, or get busy dying"

Visit my site: Thief12 profile


Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:56 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:38 pm
Posts: 253
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Battle of the Bulge

Silly me for seeing this offered at a bargain price when I was purchasing some other films and since I recognized the title and that it also starred a bunch of big name actors, assumed that this was some sort of minor classic, so I added it to my cart.

Well, I don't really know where to begin. I suppose in an era when grittier and more accurate depictions of war are readily available, something like this is bound to fail. Particularly given that it exhibits a rather childish view of what WWII was like. I couldn't help but (almost) laugh at the way everybody died by flinging their arms up in the air and then falling down, usually in a way that would leave their body draped dramatically over a nearby fence or boulder. It was almost artistic in a bloodless sort of way.

There are plenty of films that bend history to tell dramatically compelling stories. There are also plenty of films that use tropes and stereotypes as springboards to create fantastic narratives. Battle of the Bulge bends history and relies heavily on tropes and stereotypes to tell it's story but only manages to create a dramatically anemic and utterly dull film.

The final battle is particularly poorly constructed and resembles something choreographed by a bunch of kids in bumper cars and filmed by someone who thinks suspense can be generated by simply flying a camera randomly over a battle field. And don't get me started on the poor special effects from the scene when the bad guy was killed.
-Jeremy

_________________
My Blog: Queering the Closet


Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:03 am
Profile WWW
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7376
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
thered47 wrote:
Battle of the Bulge

Silly me for seeing this offered at a bargain price when I was purchasing some other films and since I recognized the title and that it also starred a bunch of big name actors, assumed that this was some sort of minor classic, so I added it to my cart.

Well, I don't really know where to begin. I suppose in an era when grittier and more accurate depictions of war are readily available, something like this is bound to fail. Particularly given that it exhibits a rather childish view of what WWII was like. I couldn't help but (almost) laugh at the way everybody died by flinging their arms up in the air and then falling down, usually in a way that would leave their body draped dramatically over a nearby fence or boulder. It was almost artistic in a bloodless sort of way.

There are plenty of films that bend history to tell dramatically compelling stories. There are also plenty of films that use tropes and stereotypes as springboards to create fantastic narratives. Battle of the Bulge bends history and relies heavily on tropes and stereotypes to tell it's story but only manages to create a dramatically anemic and utterly dull film.

The final battle is particularly poorly constructed and resembles something choreographed by a bunch of kids in bumper cars and filmed by someone who thinks suspense can be generated by simply flying a camera randomly over a battle field. And don't get me started on the poor special effects from the scene when the bad guy was killed.
-Jeremy


Agree 100%. Got this stinker as a gift and was very very not impressed.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:21 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1663
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Quote:
What a terrible insult to David Lean


He can take it, though I'm not sure about you ;)


Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:09 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2427
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Django Unchained (2012)

Parts of this film show QT's flair for creating scenes of intrigue and interest. For example the way that Waltz has to explain his way out of the various predicaments he and the newly liberated Django find themselves in. There are parts that are clever and funny and these prove that QT is merely in a coma rather than being actually dead.

Waltz is the best part of Django. He's the only consistently good part in it. The problems that crept into Inglorious Basterds are on full show here. Namely that a film needs to be more than just some bits and pieces of clever stuff loosely roped together by a base human desire - revenge in this case... as it was in the last, and it will be for the foreseeable. I really hope this "ethnic revenge" fantasy trope is abandoned by QT in the near future. The film's hypocrisy is almost staggering. In one scene Waltz sits there and reflects on the horror of what they have seen that day (a man being torn apart by dogs), before the bloodiest shootout in film history erupts. One man is hit so many times he almost turns into a kind of soup.

The message here from QT is that violence is wrong, unless we can attach some kind of historical grievance to it, then it becomes alright. And this makes me think that the only reason QT uses historical events like slavery and WWII is so he can justify inflicting his revenge fantasies on the audience. And I do mean, on the audience, because by the time this film reaches the 2 hour mark, it feels like it is the viewer who is being stalked and preyed upon and made to pay for past crimes.

Foxx's character isn't interesting. He looks lost most of the time. Di Caprio's turn is basically a piece of stunt casting. Like I mentioned, Waltz puts in a good turn, but not an Oscar-worthy one. QT's cameo is funny, not least for the fact that he's a hilariously bad actor. I did laugh at this.

I don't know what else to say really, at times I was entertained, at times I recognised some of what QT does best. But the film is overlong, with mixed performances, is morally questionable, and just a bit of a draining experience overall.

5/10

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:23 am
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:21 pm
Posts: 590
Location: Milwaukee, WI (USA)
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Brave (2012)

Pixar's 2012 entry is stunningly beautiful, but I am kind of getting sick of typing "unparalleled graphical detail that really pushes the bounds of technology" that accompanies these entries year in and year out. Of course the technology is always advancing, dummy, and Pixar is generally at the forefront. With that said, Brave is engaging enough and the story is fine, but it's not as whimsical as many of Pixar's previous catalog. In fact, some it is dowright dark and goes to territory that Pixar rarely treads.

If you had shown me this movie without title cards, I would have guessed it was a product of the Dreamworks animation studio rather than Pixar. Not to say that's necessarily a bad thing; Dreamworks has come a long way. But Pixar usually sets a pretty high bar and I don't think this one quite reached it. Would make for a nice double feature paired with How To Train Your Dragon, though. 3.0 / 4.0


Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:51 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1663
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Quote:
And I do mean, on the audience, because by the time this film reaches the 2 hour mark, it feels like it is the viewer who is being stalked and preyed upon and made to pay for past crimes.


Very sharp; spot on. I do believe that was QT's intention, and not so honorable at that.


Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:59 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1688
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore

Scorsese makes a female-oriented drama, and it's really good. The guy can do anything, I tell ya. This film is anchored by a powerhouse performance by Ellen Burstyn, for which she deservedly won an Oscar. But Kris Kristofferson is also really good.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:39 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15949 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 586, 587, 588, 589, 590, 591, 592 ... 798  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr