Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:30 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16844 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 843  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
The Simpsons Movie 7/10

At the request of my son we watched this yet again. I have never watched the TV show but really like this film more each time I see it.
I know it's silly, but the Spiderpig song just makes me laugh and giggle.
It's also really well done with the film working on several levels.

I'm hoping they will do another as it was huge at the box office

Rob

Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:45 pm
Maggie's first word was sequel! They have to make another one! XD

Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:28 pm
Road to El Dorado

There's something just wrong with it. I just didn't find it funny enough for me to like. And then Elton John delivers some of the worst songs of his career killing the momentum. At least the animation isn't bad.

5/10

Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:41 pm
Site Admin

I deleted a bunch of posts here to try to keep this on topic. Please... if you want to talk about TV shows, there's a forum for that.

Thanks.

Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:29 am
Profile WWW
Some movies I recently watched, some not for the first time.

Coraline: 8.5/10. Impressive animation and story, but just a little bit too long. I could have done without the last five minutes.

No Country for Old Men: 10/10. Definitely deserving of the Best Picture Oscar. My third favorite Coen brothers movie behind The Big Lebowski and Fargo. Javier Bardem gets all the acting credit, and he is fantastic, but Josh Brolin and Tommy Lee Jones are also deserving of praise.

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans: 7/10. Not too bad actually. At least it wasn't boring, which is way more than I can say for the first one. And Rhona Mitra, while hot, is not nearly as hot as Kate Beckinsale.

Requiem for a Dream: 10/10. Ranks as #2 on my all-time favorite movies list (right behind The Sweet Hereafter). Heart-breaking, intense movie

Serenity: 10/10. We were talking about Firefly being one of the great shows that should not have been canceled. Fortunately Joss Whedon was able to make a movie out of the TV show, and the result is my personal favorite sci-fi movie.

Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:50 pm
mkratzer21 wrote:

Coraline: 8.5/10. Impressive animation and story, but just a little bit too long. I could have done without the last five minutes.

No Country for Old Men: 10/10. Definitely deserving of the Best Picture Oscar. My third favorite Coen brothers movie behind The Big Lebowski and Fargo. Javier Bardem gets all the acting credit, and he is fantastic, but Josh Brolin and Tommy Lee Jones are also deserving of praise.

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans: 7/10. Not too bad actually. At least it wasn't boring, which is way more than I can say for the first one. And Rhona Mitra, while hot, is not nearly as hot as Kate Beckinsale.

Requiem for a Dream: 10/10. Ranks as #2 on my all-time favorite movies list (right behind The Sweet Hereafter). Heart-breaking, intense movie

Serenity: 10/10. We were talking about Firefly being one of the great shows that should not have been canceled. Fortunately Joss Whedon was able to make a movie out of the TV show, and the result is my personal favorite sci-fi movie.

Hey Kratz

Another Sweet Hereafter fan, yeah!!!!
You're seeing alot of 10/10 movies at the moment! Nice!
Do you keep a list of films you've seen and the scores you gave. I'm curious to know what % of films you see get a 10?

Rob

Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:56 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
mkratzer21 wrote:

Hey Kratz

Another Sweet Hereafter fan, yeah!!!!
You're seeing alot of 10/10 movies at the moment! Nice!
Do you keep a list of films you've seen and the scores you gave. I'm curious to know what % of films you see get a 10?

Rob

No Country, Requiem, and Serenity were ones that I had previously seen, but got the hankering to re-watch (now I want to watch The Sweet Hereafter again!). I don't keep track of how many movies I watch get a 10. I would suspect maybe 10%, if not a bit lower. I'm not a tough critic like James (not a criticism of you James, just an observation ). I'm more like post-operation Roger Ebert. Unfortunately monetary restraints prevent me from seeing a lot of movies I haven't already watched, and most of the ones I own (except for the ones my wife bought) I would give at least a 9 out of 10. I do, however, keep a list of my top 20 favorite films, and would love to expand that to maybe a top 50. A top 100 might be a bit too ambitious for me!

Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:06 pm
mkratzer21 wrote:
No Country, Requiem, and Serenity were ones that I had previously seen, but got the hankering to re-watch (now I want to watch The Sweet Hereafter again!). I don't keep track of how many movies I watch get a 10. I would suspect maybe 10%, if not a bit lower. I'm not a tough critic like James (not a criticism of you James, just an observation ). I'm more like post-operation Roger Ebert. Unfortunately monetary restraints prevent me from seeing a lot of movies I haven't already watched, and most of the ones I own (except for the ones my wife bought) I would give at least a 9 out of 10. I do, however, keep a list of my top 20 favorite films, and would love to expand that to maybe a top 50. A top 100 might be a bit too ambitious for me!

Hey there, I'm not sure whether to be proud or ashamed of having seen 10,000 movies. 34 have managed to score a perfect ten. That's a hit rate of 0.34%. I used to be more generous but rewatched dragged them down to 9's or less. Most recently Dark Knight was snipped to a 9 upon second viewing.

Rob

Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:34 pm
Top Secret

It may not be as funny as Airplane! or Naked Gun, I'm not even sure it's as funny as Naked Gun 2 1/2 but it's still pretty funny.

7/10

Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:40 pm

This movie should've been a lot better than it was. Nothing popped, nothing dazzled in anything. As a thriller it's so predictable it hurts. As a Blackjack movie, the blackjack scenes from Maverick had more suspense. Then Jim Sturgess just can't act at all! Sure he has the presence but none of the skills of an actor.

5/10

Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:03 pm
Buffy The Vampire Slayer - The Movie

7/10

Yes, it's a very bad movie. But, it's a very bad GOOD movie. I've seen this movie thousands of times in the 90s, and not JUST because of Swanson's body. The movie had something that made it work for me. I saw it again last night on HBO2 I've seen bad movies, like KUNG POW, and ran for the headache medicine after watching it. But Buffy entertained me all the way through. In my opinion, Kristy Swanson portrayed a spoiled brat better than Sarah Michelle Gellar did in the series. That being said though, the rest of the stuff in the series was better.

The movie didnt take itself seriously, unlike the series. The acting was bad, and they knew it, they didn't care. People took Buffy too seriously and panned it to death. It was entertaining to me. Just a leave your brain at the door and youll be entertained movie. :)

Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:53 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
The Simpsons Movie 7/10

At the request of my son we watched this yet again. I have never watched the TV show but really like this film more each time I see it.
I know it's silly, but the Spiderpig song just makes me laugh and giggle.
It's also really well done with the film working on several levels.

I'm hoping they will do another as it was huge at the box office

Rob
Yes I also enjoyed it, and I am not a fan of the TV series. 7/10 seems about where I would put it. I really hope they make another one...I read somewhere before that they signed a contract for like 5 movies or something like that lol, I have no idea if that is true.

Pedro wrote:
Maggie's first word was sequel! They have to make another one! XD
:lol:

Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:19 pm
Zodiac. Intrigued me from start to finish. I thought it was a little too long, but a good film nonetheless. I thought it was much better than Se7en, which I didn't like very much.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:21 pm
Revolver. Oh, it was bad. I knew it would be going in, but curiosity and some weird masochistic impulse made me sit through it anyway. It was only through judicious application of whisky that I managed to endure all the fauxlosophic narration and long sequences of Ray Liotta rambling in leopardskin underwear.

Before that, Gomorrah. Italian quasi-documentary crime flick about the Camorra. It's harsh and pretty hard to follow, but I'd still give a definite recommendation for that one.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:59 pm
Witness ... I'd never seen it, and it proved to be quite impressive, for a movie nearly 25-years-old ... this weekend I'll be watching The Deer Hunter for the first time. Someone from work loaned me a copy and said I need to see it. I'd always meant to, but never got around to it.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:08 pm
Never Cry Wolf (1983) from Walt Disney Pictures. Turner Classic Movies had it on a few nights ago and I vaguely remembered it from when I was a younger. All I really remembered was that the main character ate a ton of mice to mimic the behavior of the wolves he lived with. That was still gross. Otherwise, meh--it was okay.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:33 pm
I watched "The Black Balloon" last night and really liked it a lot. It's an Australian film from last year... James has yet to review it, but it's still opening in theaters nationwide.

It's about a boy struggling through his teen years as he has to care for an autistic brother. Toni Collette, the mom in "Little Miss Sunshine", plays the mom - and the two films have much in common.

It has far more in common with "Whats Eating Gilbert Grape", however, so much so that it can almost be considered a remake. That being said, it's an awfully cute story that doesn't glamorize nor exploit autism.

Luke Ford, who plays the autistic brother, is really good. Usually these performances can be really distracting since you always get the sense of "mockery", but Ford is great. There's another mentally challenged character played by a far less talented actor, and it's there that you realize the quality of Ford's performance vs. what truly is fairly offensive mockery.

I'd give it an 8/10, which is probably being generous, but it's too charming to rate it any less.

The night before I watched David Gordon Green's "All the Real Girls" and liked that quite a bit as well.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:54 pm
Amores Perros. Amazing, but hard as hell to sit through.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:28 pm
My three most recent viewings:

The Wrestler: Finally opened in the one indie theater in my town. Even the screaming baby in the row behind me couldn't ruin this movie for me. There's nothing I can say about Rourke's performance that hasn't already been said, and it's all true. This being my first Aronofsky film, I'm now very excited to be Requiem for a Dream.

Annie Hall: The perfect movie to watch the day before Valentine's Day. "I forgot my mantra," may well become my new mantra.

Pulp Fiction: Today, in a fit of rebellion, I decided to watch a movie that goes against everything Valentine's Day stands for. Pulp Fiction was that movie. Extremely entertaining, as always. It amazes me how this movie still feels so fresh after countless viewings.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:54 am
Donkey Punch: I didn't know the expression "donkey punch" before I watched this film. I wish I still didn't. I enjoyed it in a bored on a Sunday afternoon kind of way, and it will stick in my mind. Has anyone else seen it?

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:13 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16844 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 843  Next