Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:55 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 760, 761, 762, 763, 764, 765, 766 ... 806  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Critic

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Thief12 wrote:
The Ruins What a dumb, stupid film. Not even the fact that I just happened to catch it on TV stopped it from feeling boring and stupid. It's not that it's badly acted or directed, both of which are serviceable if anything. Even the premise, as silly as it might seem, could've been worked on, but it's the fact that the script is so uneventful and the execution feels so lame that you just can't help wondering why they made it. Not much else to say. Grade: D+

Note to this and The Happening -- plants aren't scary. They never will be.

Sun May 11, 2014 10:18 am
Producer

Venus fly trap?

Sun May 11, 2014 12:40 pm
Producer

The best part of the Happening was when Mark Wahlberg talks to a plastic plant. It's probably the one scene in the whole move that is INTENTIONALLY funny.

I actually liked The Ruins. But I haven't seen it since it was out in theaters in early 2008. Don't really remember much about it.

Sun May 11, 2014 12:43 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

This documentary masterpiece
Please Do not miss
Masterpiece, masterpiece, masterpiece
My Rating: 10 out of 10, without the slightest doubt

Sun May 11, 2014 12:57 pm
Auteur

JamesKunz wrote:
Thief12 wrote:
The Ruins What a dumb, stupid film. Not even the fact that I just happened to catch it on TV stopped it from feeling boring and stupid. It's not that it's badly acted or directed, both of which are serviceable if anything. Even the premise, as silly as it might seem, could've been worked on, but it's the fact that the script is so uneventful and the execution feels so lame that you just can't help wondering why they made it. Not much else to say. Grade: D+

True, but I still found the Ruins to be an OK-ish film overall with some graphic moments that made me squirm.

Sun May 11, 2014 1:07 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
True, but I still found the Ruins to be an OK-ish film overall with some graphic moments that made me squirm.

Yeah I'm with you here. It's not exactly great or anything, but definitely not a bad film (or badly made film). I'd rate it a 5.5 or 6/10. It differs a bit from the book on which it's based that has an:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
everyone dies

ending. Which was a shame - I have a soft spot for those for some reason.

Sun May 11, 2014 3:54 pm
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Yeah I'm with you here. It's not exactly great or anything, but definitely not a bad film (or badly made film). I'd rate it a 5.5 or 6/10. It differs a bit from the book on which it's based that has an:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
everyone dies

ending. Which was a shame - I have a soft spot for those for some reason.

Wasn't aware that it was based off a book, personally i'm a big fan of those kinds of endings, so i'm actually glad that was changed myself.

Sun May 11, 2014 4:35 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
Wasn't aware that it was based off a book, personally i'm a big fan of those kinds of endings, so i'm actually glad that was changed myself.

The book is by Scott B. Smith. Funnily enough:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
one of the first (if not the first) characters that dies is Amy... who is the only character that survives in the film adaption

It's quite a divergence in that sense, but imo the film is still pretty good nonetheless.

Mon May 12, 2014 3:42 am
Critic

nitrium wrote:
Vexer wrote:

The book is by Scott B. Smith. Funnily enough:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
one of the first (if not the first) characters that dies is Amy... who is the only character that survives in the film adaption

It's quite a divergence in that sense, but imo the film is still pretty good nonetheless.

Scott B. Smith also wrote A Simple Plan, one of the most distinct "movie is better than the book" examples in history

Mon May 12, 2014 7:36 am
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

It's not that plants aren't scary. I'm one to think that, with the right skills, you can make an effective horror film about killer hot dogs if you like. It's just that there is no dread whatsoever, the whole film felt stale, and in the absence of that, there wasn't even enough gore to justify saying "well, at least it had lots of nasty gore".

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Mon May 12, 2014 10:57 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Thief12 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

It's not that plants aren't scary. I'm one to think that, with the right skills, you can make an effective horror film about killer hot dogs if you like. It's just that there is no dread whatsoever, the whole film felt stale, and in the absence of that, there wasn't even enough gore to justify saying "well, at least it had lots of nasty gore".

I thought the film had enough brutal moments to make it a decent watch overall.

But as far as killer plant movies go, I found "Seedpeople" and "The Crawlers" to be more fun.

Tue May 13, 2014 12:13 am
Director

Enemy (2014)

This will depend entirely on one's phobia, but I haven't had such a heart-stopping moment from a film's ending since maybe The Blair Witch Project. As for the film, Denis Villeneuve's second team-up with Jake Gyllenhaal after Prisoners, it is so obliquely but meticulously set-up that the final stretch is bound to disappoint slightly. Indeed, after a very atmospheric (it looks like yellow smog has clouded over the whole of Toronto), moody hour, it begins to run out of steam just when the situations should get interesting, maybe due to its symbolic nature becoming a tad clearer in a faintly banal way. Still, Gyllenhaal's double performances and the film's intensely paranoid vibe, aided tremendously by creepy soundtrack and off-kilter direction, make it worth a watch. 7/10

Tue May 13, 2014 9:34 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Chaos is order yet undeciphered

Enemy is a huge challenge for person? (Please answer)
My rating for this movie : 9 / 10

*For more information
This Movie is based on the novel of Jose Saramago
Novel that puts human life against the most important question

Tue May 13, 2014 12:38 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:

But as far as killer plant movies go, I found "Seedpeople" and "The Crawlers" to be more fun.

...or Little Shop of Horrors ;)

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Tue May 13, 2014 8:54 pm
Profile WWW
Gaffer

Secret Honor

All I could really say was that Philip Baker Hall truly was quite a one-man show in here. Literally. And that's why I loved this spectacular Robert Altman film. 10/10

Tue May 13, 2014 10:33 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Thief12 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Not really a musical fan, so that film didn't do a whole lot for me.

Tue May 13, 2014 11:10 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
Thief12 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Not really a musical fan, so that film didn't do a whole lot for me.

Or me.

Wed May 14, 2014 12:18 am
Assistant Director

Cries and Whispers (1972)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069467/
This marks the first colour Ingmar Bergman film I have seen. I was curious how Ingmar's mastery of light and shadow, that works so very well in black and white, would translate into the realm colour. In a nutshell, not as well. Don't get me wrong, this film still looks fantastic, but it's just not as visually striking as Bergman's B&W efforts.
Plot-wise, the film is typically bleak and macabre; the entire first half focuses on the deathwatch of a woman by her two sisters and loyal maid. The main theme is death, but thanklessness, loveless marriage, loneliness, loss, and unrequited incestual desire are also explored, especially in the 2nd half.
I'm unashamedly becoming a bit of fan of Ingmar Bergman, and this one did not disappoint.
8/10.

This is the 2nd Ingmar Bergman film I've seen this month, so one more Ingmar will complete part of JamesKunz's May challenge of watching three films from the same director.

Wed May 14, 2014 3:13 am
Director

The Sea Inside (2004)

Can't help compare it to The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, in which it comes up a little short cinematically, despite some nice touches like the opening scene and the fantasy sequences. Javier Bardem's performance, though, is tremendously accomplished and moving. He, like the film, doesn't wallow in weepiness, which lends the story more dramatic power. The framework of a social issue biopic could have become something saccharine, but the cast and the nuance of its presentation make the film thought-provoking as well as very affecting. 8/10

The Celebration (1998)

I read up on Dogme 95 afterwards, which frankly is kind of an insanely constricting set of rules that unsurprisingly sputtered out in the end. Still, not hard to see why it sparked up for a while when its first film is of this high quality. The ultra-realistic nature of everything helps hide the eventual arc of the story, so that tonal shift in the first reveal is pretty stunning. The whole film may be the best argument for the rules; it is easy to think of how a conventional approach of this material might be: lurid, melodramatic, complete with string music for emotional cues. Instead, the home-video style, combined with tight writing and pitch-perfect performances, bring out the rawness and brutal honesty. It also doesn't pull back from leavening the tone with black comedy, often in the same scenes as the unspooling of this dark material. And despite the muddled look, the direction is capable of some striking, memorable shots, like one late-night dancing and a lovely, heartbreaking hallucination(?), the film's most gentle scene lit only in candlelight. 8.5/10

Wed May 14, 2014 3:25 am
Assistant Director

The Battery (aka Ben and Mickey vs the Dead) (2012)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2272350/
Indie movie about two hipster former baseball players as they travel around the post-zombie apocalyptic countryside. Now before you roll your eyes (or was I too late?), this film is actually pretty good and a relatively original take on the stale zombie story. The film focuses primarily on the oft-strained relationship between the two friends (other living people feature only in a single scene), not on mindless zombie slaying (although there is of course some of that). Ben has become a hardcore survivalist, while Mickey remains a hopeful slacker. There is a scene late in the film where the two are trapped in a car surrounded by zombies for DAYS, that I suspect will prove quite memorable. The acting is mostly solid and the dialogue smartly written by Jeremy Gardner who is also the director. The soundtrack unfortunately consists entirely of imo terrible indie rubbish, but I guess some will like it. Recommended if you can still find a soft spot for zombie movies.
7.5/10.

Wed May 14, 2014 7:24 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 760, 761, 762, 763, 764, 765, 766 ... 806  Next