Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:54 pm

Letting plot holes slide 
Cinematographer

Post Re: Letting plot holes slide
I think heist films lend themselves to plot holes a little more than most simply because (not trying to be too trite here) if they were airtight more frequently, wouldn't we see these sorts of things more often in real life? It happens from time to time, but I'd argue the number of heist films is disproportionate to the number of successful heists. None of that stops it from being one of my favorite subgenres of film, however.

I agree with others who have said if it doesn't bother me in the moment, I probably won't really care. Things like How It Should Have Ended and Honest Trailers can be frequently hilarious, but they aren't really going to make me change my opinion on a film.

Ken wrote:
It's a case-by-case thing--not just from story to story, but from person to person. Depending on who you are or what the story is, some plot holes are unforgivably distracting. But sometimes, maybe even a majority of the time, the lapses are insubstantial compared to the rest of the experience. Some stories can get away with playing fast and loose with story logic as long as they have enough going for them to keep you involved.

One of the most logic-oriented storytellers who ever lived once said this: "It has always seemed to me that as long as you produce your dramatic effect, accuracy of detail matters little. I have never striven for it and I have made some bad mistakes in consequence. What matter, as long as I hold my readers?"

People who obsess over plot holes and rip them mercilessly are usually fanboy geeks with a narrow appreciation for stories.

Excellent post. I was going to say that the more going on in a story - in terms of themes, characterization, etc. - the less likely a person is to notice or fault a movie for plot holes. A well told story can hold your attention with more than just the plot.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:26 pm