Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:36 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Oscar Nominations 2014 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Oscar Nominations 2014
PeachyPete wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
ROBERT REDFORD AND TOM HANKS GET THE SHAFT?

Regardless of what you think of their performances, that is staggering on its face. I guess the Academy doesn't worship movie stars as much as we think they do

I think Hanks not getting a nomination is a bigger surprise the more I think about it. Captain Phillips is one of the bigger players at the Oscars this year, yet it curiously didn't get nominations for it's 2 most notable creators (Hanks and Greengrass). That can't bode well for it's chances anywhere else, right?

I'm sure Pedro will correct me if I'm wrong (because he's smart about the Oscars, not because he's a tool), but my understanding has always been that to earn a nomination in the major categories, you need right around 300 first-place votes. That's how the "everyone liked it but no one's passionate about it" snubs happen at times. I read a few times this week (not my personal thoughts, stuff I actually read, so not trying to sound smart after-the-fact) that Captain Phillips could end up snubbed in Picture or Actor for that very reason -- it appeared on a lot of ballots, but not at the top. It's why Dern was a shoe-in and probably why Leo got in as well. As for Bale, I dunno... I'm not shocked shocked, because there are always a few surprises and the Academy clearly loves Bale and the film, but I'm surprised that he earned that much 1st-place love. Either way, the race is between Chewy and Matty Mac. Alas, we can all weep for Joaquin and take solace that he's sure as hell not weeping for himself.

Sorta-big surprise for me was how much they liked Wolf. I think Hill will be the semi-upset special going in.

I'm bummed that Llewyn Davis got almost no love, but not shocked. At least Prisoners got a nod for Deakins's wonderful work.

Oh, and the most annoying nomination to me is the script for Dallas Buyer's Club. Just very pedestrian in every way, and that's such a great category to honor stuff that has no shot at the biggies.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:09 pm
Auteur

Can't believe Fruitvale Station didn't get a nom for best picture, Philomena should've been left off in favor of it, no idea how that got nominated for anything. Also can't believe Lone Ranger got a nom for best visual effect, there was nothing impressive about the effects in that film, Pacific Rim looked WAAAAAYYYYY better.

Nice to see Lone Survivor get a nod for best sound mixing though.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:12 pm
Second Unit Director

Pacific Rim getting snubbed in the technical categories is surprising. Obviously Best Makeup is a short list but how The Hobbit got overlooked for that is beyond me. The lack of even a nod for Monsters University but The Croods getting in is shocking. Despicable Me 2 was such a box office smash that it was likely getting a nod.

Guess David O. Russell is officially back in Hollywood's good graces, huh?

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:47 pm
Producer

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
Was Adele not eligible or was she simply overlooked?

:?:
What would she have been nominated for?

Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:01 pm
Second Unit Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
Was Adele not eligible or was she simply overlooked?

:?:
What would she have been nominated for?

I was speaking about Adele Exarchopoulos for the Best Actress category. But I can see why someone would get confused. :)

Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:03 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Shade2 wrote:
I'm sure Pedro will correct me if I'm wrong (because he's smart about the Oscars, not because he's a tool), but my understanding has always been that to earn a nomination in the major categories, you need right around 300 first-place votes. That's how the "everyone liked it but no one's passionate about it" snubs happen at times. I read a few times this week (not my personal thoughts, stuff I actually read, so not trying to sound smart after-the-fact) that Captain Phillips could end up snubbed in Picture or Actor for that very reason -- it appeared on a lot of ballots, but not at the top. It's why Dern was a shoe-in and probably why Leo got in as well. As for Bale, I dunno... I'm not shocked shocked, because there are always a few surprises and the Academy clearly loves Bale and the film, but I'm surprised that he earned that much 1st-place love. Either way, the race is between Chewy and Matty Mac. Alas, we can all weep for Joaquin and take solace that he's sure as hell not weeping for himself.

You know, it was always my understanding that this was the case, and it certainly was my understanding when we started the Pedros, but I don't think it ever was. That's definitely the case regarding Best Picture (this article explains it well).

*researches*

Actually, from what I've just read, I think they're ranked, but the importance of the number one vote is more stressed in the Best Picture category. One thing to keep in mind is that the individual branches for their own awards and EVERYONE votes for Best Picture. Some branches are bigger than others. The director's branch has 300something members for example. (For comparison, the DGA has something like 15000 members.) I think there are some branches with less than twenty! Branches like art direction and costume design or whatever.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:33 pm
Gaffer

So I guess without an Editing nom, WOLF's chances of winning Best Picture are slim to none. Shame.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:40 pm
Critic

BrianB wrote:
So I guess without an Editing nom, WOLF's chances of winning Best Picture are slim to none. Shame.

That's an...odd metric to use

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:35 pm
Critic

I just noticed that a David O Russell movie got a nominee into every acting category for the second year in a row. Damn.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:36 pm
Producer

Steven wrote:
Biggest snub of the day: 12 Years A Slave misses out on a cinematography nomination

And yet Gravity gets a nom.

These people need to walk into the ocean.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:42 pm
Director

Quote:
The sad thing is that there's always so much politics with these. You'd think everyone on the AMPAS board would just keep up with the releases and watch all the movies just like critics do, mark down anything that leaps out at them as award worthy (from acting, directing, cinematography, set design, etc), then everyone just makes their own informed decision.

Right, just because they don't agree with YOU they must not be informed or watch everything. I just looked up your top 10. 5 of them received Best Picture nominations! what more do you want? 9 for 9 to match? do you also get pissed when you meet people who don't have the same favorite movie as you? yeah, them politics shapes everything Oscar does. like those box office monsters/Oscar bait flicks Amour and Beats of the Southern Wild getting Best pic nominations last year.

Quote:
I just noticed that a David O Russell movie got a nominee into every acting category for the second year in a row.

1st director in history to have 2 movies get all 4 acting noms. Last year Silver was the 1st since Reds in '81 to get all 4 noms.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:01 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
BrianB wrote:

The last movie to win Best Picture without an editing nomination was...

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Ordinary People in 1980! Crazy.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:15 pm
Gaffer

JamesKunz wrote:
BrianB wrote:

Not really. 1980 was the last time a movie won Best Picture without also having an Editing nomination.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:16 pm
Director

American Hustle has a good chance to sweep, right? I hope so.

THE GOOD:
- No screenplay nomination for Gravity. Hell yeah.
- Cinematography nomination for Grandmaster. Nice! It deserves to win, but I guess won't.
- All four major actors nominated for American Hustle. Hell yeah.

THE BAD:
- Iron Man 3, Star Trek, and Hobbit for visual effects but not Man of Steel. Huh...?
- Production design for Gravity....that would be even worse than cinematography.
- Editing for Gravity...that would be pretty bad too. Not a film where virtuoso editing factors in.

I think American Hustle will win best picture, the main competition being Gravity. 12 Years a Slave will win best adapted screenplay and perhaps best actor. Wall Street will pull a Zero Dark Thirty and not get much of anything. Cuaron, McQueen, and Russell are all fighting over Director. Russell deserves it. If Hustle wins, it'd be the best choice since No Country for Old Men.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:35 pm
Director

calvero wrote:
Quote:
The sad thing is that there's always so much politics with these. You'd think everyone on the AMPAS board would just keep up with the releases and watch all the movies just like critics do, mark down anything that leaps out at them as award worthy (from acting, directing, cinematography, set design, etc), then everyone just makes their own informed decision.

Right, just because they don't agree with YOU they must not be informed or watch everything. I just looked up your top 10. 5 of them received Best Picture nominations! what more do you want? 9 for 9 to match? do you also get pissed when you meet people who don't have the same favorite movie as you? yeah, them politics shapes everything Oscar does. like those box office monsters/Oscar bait flicks Amour and Beats of the Southern Wild getting Best pic nominations last year.

You're right. I went too far there. I shouldn't accuse anyone of not seeing the movies. Sorry everyone. I blew it again.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:45 pm
Producer

BrianB wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
BrianB wrote:

Not really. 1980 was the last time a movie won Best Picture without also having an Editing nomination.

It doesn't have a Cinematography nomination either, although not having one and winning is more common. It hasn't happened since last year.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:05 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
I just noticed that a David O Russell movie got a nominee into every acting category for the second year in a row. Damn.

There's a man who knows what he wants and achieves it full throttle in every way possible.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:05 pm
Assistant Director

Happy for ‘American Hustle,’ and ‘Gravity’ to Lead with 10 Each as those were the two best films I saw last year :-)

PS: I have not seen "12 years slave" yet (It has not arrived to Australia)

Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:22 pm
Profile WWW
Director

I kinda agree on the female side of American Hustle's acting noms. The male side... not so much (can't believe I'm saying this of Christian Bale, for once).

Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:45 pm
Critic

BrianB wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
BrianB wrote:

*Shrugs* Last year Argo won without a Best Director nod.

You're mixing up causality and correlation. The fact that Maine almost always goes the way of the winner in US Presidential elections doesn't actually mean Maine is crucial to winning an election

Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:54 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next