Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:21 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Awards 
Cinematographer

Post The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Awards
Hello there, ReelViews board members. My name's Pedro, and I'm here to announce the fifth annual ReelViews Academy Awards, or Pedros as we call them now!

You'll have to pardon me: as usual, much of this post is going to be a regurgitation of last year's thread, with some slight changes. HOWEVER, there's a new twist. Little.

Anyway, giving credit where credit is due, p604 came up with the idea. His thought process was, "Everyone complains about the Oscars. Why don't we have our own?" It's brilliant. Here's how it works:

1. Anyone (that's you!) can vote for nominees, so long as you're signed up on the board. Make sure your votes are for who YOU want to win. If you think Identity Thief's the best film of the year, then damn it vote that way! (I'm STILL looking at you, Vexer, who likes unconventional things.)
2. People who do choose to vote can suggest up to five nominees per category, ranked 1-5 with 1 being the theoretical winner. This applies to all categories INCLUDING Best Picture. If the films are not ranked, I will automatically put them in the order in which they are listed.
2.5 This is optional, but you may vote for up to ten nominees per category. If you do, I will tabulate your ballot twice: once using the preferential system (what we normally do, in which I'll only consider your top five films per category) and once using the collecting system (nominees would be based on the number of times they appeared on people's ballots, in which I'll consider up to ten films per category equally). I am using this strictly for data analysis. I have no intention of changing how we tabulate votes.
3. You don't need to vote for every category.
4. There are now twenty categories: seventeen that the Academy uses, the Best Ensemble award that SAG uses, a modified Best Original Score, and the new Best Sound category influenced by the BAFTAs. They are listed at the end of the post, accompanied by a sample ballot.
5. Many documentaries and foreign language films were excluded from the Academy shortlist of said categories. Same goes for make-up, score, and visual effects. IGNORE THIS. If the film came out domestically between January 1, 2013 and December 31, 2013, it's valid for any category. FOR EXAMPLE: No (Chile) came out in February 2013, so it's valid despite being released in 2012 in its home country. However, Gloria (Chile) is not valid because it comes out later this month. Checking IMDb is a good way determining validity.
6. Also include in your ballot up to THREE NEW POTENTIALS for the ReelViews Hall of Fame. FOR EXAMPLE: Toshiro Mifune, Fritz Lang, Edith Head.
7. PM your votes to me, Pedro, to keep the nomination process secretive and exciting and shit.

The voting cut-off is March 3rd at 10:00 PM, though I'd like them sooner.

I've decided to include some category suggestions in case people are confused. I've based their placements on the definition of Lead/Supporting, irrelevant of screen time. PM any other category confusions to me. If I decide you have committed category fraud, I will discard that vote.

For Rush, Daniel Bruhl and Chris Hemsworth are both leads.
From what I've read, for August: Osage County, Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts are both leads. I'm seeing the film this weekend so I'll report back.
I haven't seen Lone Survivor, either, but in case anyone feels strongly about its acting, I'm wagering that the lone survivor is the lead.

Happy voting, fellow members! Don't be shy. If you haven't seen enough films from the year, don't worry about it! Vote on what you know. I want to see a bigger turnout this year!

Best Actor in a Leading Role
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Best Actress in a Leading Role
Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Best Animated Feature
Best Art Direction
Best Cinematography (it is requested that you be more discerning about your choices for this category, i.e. vote for films that actually use cinematography)
Best Costume Design
Best Director
Best Documentary Feature
Best Ensemble Cast
Best Film Editing
Best Foreign Language Film
Best Makeup
Best Picture
Best Sound
Best Use of Music
Best Visual Effects
Best Writing - Adapted Screenplay
Best Writing - Original Screenplay

RETURNING HALL OF FAME POTENTIALS
Bill Murray
Charlie Chaplin
Christopher Walken
Gene Hackman
Hayao Miyazaki
Humphrey Bogart
Ingmar Bergman
Jimmy Stewart
Joel and Ethan Coen
Max von Sydow
Meryl Streep
Nicolas Cage
Orson Welles
Robert De Niro
Roger Deakins
Sally Menke
Steven Spielberg
Werner Herzog
Woody Allen

SAMPLE BALLOT: BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
1. Christian Bale - American Hustle
2. Billy Crystal - Monsters University
3. Mads Mikkelson - The Hunt
4. Tom Hanks - Captain Phillips

And finally, here's a semi-comprehensive list of foreign films that came out domestically in 2013:

No
Blue is the Warmest Color
A Touch of Sin
Bastards
Wadjda
Drug War
The Attack
Like Someone in Love
Beyond the Hills
Something in the Air
The Hunt
Blancanieves
Fill the Void
A Hijacking
Lore
In the House
War Witch
Our Children
I Killed My Mother
Augustine
The Broken Circle Breakdown
Hannah Arendt
From Up on Poppy Hill
In the Fog
Graceland
Night Across the Street
The Wind Rises
The Great Beauty
R100
The Fifth Season
The Past
Big Bad Wolves
The Gatekeepers
The Grandmaster
The Act of Killing?

Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:19 pm
Critic

Post Re: The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Awards
Shit this is a time I want to finagle the system a little -- this year has been incredible for lead actors, but not nearly as strong for supporting, so I want to fit Bruhl into the latter

Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:48 pm
Director

So the people you listed as RETURNING HALL OF FAME POTENTIALS are people we've already inducted in years past? This is my first time participating and I just need to know so I don't nominate someone who's already in.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:47 pm
Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:
So the people you listed as RETURNING HALL OF FAME POTENTIALS are people we've already inducted in years past? This is my first time participating and I just need to know so I don't nominate someone who's already in.

I think what he means is that people who were nominated/shortlisted last year but didn't win. For the record, only the following people have been actually inducted into the Reelviews Hall of Fame: Martin Scorsese, Stanley Kubrick, and John Williams. (In hindsight, looking at those names and the fact that Ken did the celebrationary videos, I think some foul play on his part may have been involved. ;) )

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

The motherfuckin' Pedros, son!

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
(In hindsight, looking at those names and the fact that Ken did the celebrationary videos, I think some foul play on his part may have been involved. ;) )

Yeah, that Ken. I tell ya, he's a real cocksucker.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:42 pm
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
Shit this is a time I want to finagle the system a little -- this year has been incredible for lead actors, but not nearly as strong for supporting, so I want to fit Bruhl into the latter

I totally see why that kind of thing happens. But hey, last year we had seven Best Actor nominees and four Best Supporting Actress nominees. Maybe something similar will happen again.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:57 pm
Producer

Oh man. Right now, you could cut glass with my... excitement.

PeachyPete wrote:
The motherfuckin' Pedros, son!

Yeah, that Ken. I tell ya, he's a real cocksucker.

WHO TOLD?!?!?

Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:39 pm
Second Unit Director

Pedro wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

I totally see why that kind of thing happens. But hey, last year we had seven Best Actor nominees and four Best Supporting Actress nominees. Maybe something similar will happen again.

How do you determine how many nominees per category?

Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:48 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Hm... I have to come up with a new Hall-of-Fame candidate to endorse now, since I shoved John Williams into everybody's e-holes last time.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:45 pm
Cinematographer

Folks who saw some foreign releases in 2013 - which ones should I catch up on for The Pedros? Blue is the Warmest Color, The Hunt (on Netflix Instant right now), and The Past are all on my must-see list. What others?

Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:55 pm
Second Unit Director

PeachyPete wrote:
Folks who saw some foreign releases in 2013 - which ones should I catch up on for The Pedros? Blue is the Warmest Color, The Hunt (on Netflix Instant right now), and The Past are all on my must-see list. What others?

Drug War, Drug War, Drug War. Stupid title, phenomenal film -- in general I don't dig Johnny To's stuff, but this is something pretty nifty. Also, A Hijacking is a pretty great slow-burn thriller.

Like every sane person here, I'm very excited about Le Pedros 2k14.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:12 pm
Cinematographer

Steven wrote:
How do you determine how many nominees per category?

In short, contenders have to reach a certain threshold that allows me to determine if it's representative of the forum. Where the threshold lies changes every year, though it's usually around the same mark.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:35 pm
Auteur

Shade2 wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

Drug War, Drug War, Drug War. Stupid title, phenomenal film -- in general I don't dig Johnny To's stuff, but this is something pretty nifty. Also, A Hijacking is a pretty great slow-burn thriller.

Like every sane person here, I'm very excited about Le Pedros 2k14.

I love To's filmography, and Drug War is definitely the best foreign film of 2013 that i've seen.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:01 pm
Cinematographer

Shade2 wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

Drug War, Drug War, Drug War.

Yes, Yes, Yes. I still need to catch up on the films you mentioned, plus a few others, but Drug War is fantastic (it's currently in my Top 10 from last year). You should also see The Act Of Killing if you haven't already. And as far as others go, Blancanieves and Like Someone In Love are two more worth checking out that jump to mind at the moment.

Looking forward to this year's awards, as always!

First question: Matthew McConaughey in Mud, lead or supporting? I feel like he's the latter and Tye Sheridan's the former.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Blonde Almond wrote:
First question: Matthew McConaughey in Mud, lead or supporting? I feel like he's the latter and Tye Sheridan's the former.

You're right. McConaughey, whose name I couldn't spell consistently until this year, provides the impetus for Sheridan's coming-of-age. I think he was campaigned that way in real life, too, which would be surprising if he didn't have an Oscarworthy lead performance in another movie this year. You know the one. About the buyers.

Vexer, are you going to vote this year? I ask you every year and you never do.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:38 pm
Director

Most of the forum seems to be in a consensus for once. Drug War is also my favorite foreign film this year. Other recommendations that haven't been mentioned yet are The Attack, The Great Beauty, and Wadjda.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:56 pm
Director

peng wrote:
Most of the forum seems to be in a consensus for once. Drug War is also my favorite foreign film this year. Other recommendations that haven't been mentioned yet are The Attack, The Great Beauty, and Wadjda.

If BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR can't even win a Reelviews award, then I'm gonna have to change my profile pic to The Hulk and start smashing stuff.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:22 pm
Director

KWRoss wrote:
If BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR can't even win a Reelviews award, then I'm gonna have to change my profile pic to The Hulk and start smashing stuff.

I love BLUE, but DRUG WAR just hit me in all the right place. Don't worry, Exarchopoulos will sweep Best Actress for sure.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:30 pm
Cinematographer

I'm watching Drug War right now thanks to you guys. It's good so far. I'm glad I chose to not eat dinner and watch it in light of what happens in the beginning.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:04 am
Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:

I have faith in Reelviews that this'll happen, especially Adele for Best Actress. If it doesn't happen, that'll make two of us with Hulk profile pics. :evil:

Ken wrote:
Hm... I have to come up with a new Hall-of-Fame candidate to endorse now, since I shoved John Williams into everybody's e-holes last time.
It'll be fun if we actually have folks on Reelviews advertising and endorsing their HOF picks, like you did last year.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:01 am
Profile WWW
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next