Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:19 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Summer 2014 Movie Season Thoughts. 
Author Message
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1563
Post Summer 2014 Movie Season Thoughts.
Coming up on Labor Day, I realize that this is probably the least active summer movie season for me in years. While I went for 4 consecutive weeks in August, I only went once in July and twice in June.

Of the ones I saw between the beginning of May and Labor Day, there are four that stood out:

X-Men Days Of Future Past: Easily the best X-Men movie since X2 and the best superhero movie since Dark Knight Rises.

Edge Of Tomorrow: One of the better original recent films, Shame it underperformed. Way better than Oblivion.

Boyhood: The summer movie to beat and the only one that has a definite spot on my year-end top ten list (possible contenders include X-Men and a ocuple others).

Guardians Of The Galaxy: Not quite as big on this as a few other people are. But it's definitely fun and worth a view.

As for the others:

Jersey Boys: Pretty meh. Great music. But formulaic, derivative and doesn't strike hard emotionally like it should.

Wish I Was Here: Also meh. While I liked Zack Braff's previous directorial effort Garden State, this one comes off like a mishmash of A Serious Man, The Bucket List and several Wes Anderson movies and isn't particularly memorable.

Get On Up: Better than Jersey Boys. Boseman's great. But overall I'd say your money would be better spent on a good James Brown anthology.

Sin City: A Dame To Kill For: Definitely the biggest disappointment of this summer. Worth a watch. But a lesser sequel to a great film. Doesn't tarnish the original. But I will have forgotten most of it by years end.

Anyone else's thoughts on Summer 2014 at the movies?

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:22 am
Profile
Online
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3604
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Summer 2014 Movie Season Thoughts.
Here's mine:

Rise of the Apes: Think JB was being a bit too generous with this film, too many plot holes and contrivances for my tastes, and most of the characters aren't nearly as interesting as those in the original film(Oldman looks like he's strictly in paycheck mode here)

X Men: Pretty good superhero film, no real complaints aside from the glaring lack of Rogue(who had a number of scenes deleted).

Edge Of Tomorrow: Another solid Tom Cruise sci-fi outing.

Transformers Age of Extinction: Very entertaining popcorn action film, wasn't bored for a second.

Lucy: Interesting yarn from Besson that goes in some unexpected directions.

Let's Be Cops: Funniest movie of the year so far, Damon Wayans Jr has inherited his fathers comedic talent.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Pretty good comic book film that manages to balance out the funny and serious moments pretty well.

Godzilla: Pretty solid monster film, though it's hard to say as to whether or not I prefer it over the 1998 film(which I find underrated).

The Purge: Anarchy- Pretty good sequel that's incredibly tense, fast-paced and exciting.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Pretty good film adaption of the franchise, makes some changes to the mythos but does it pretty well, looking forward to seeing more in this universe.

Expendables 3: Despite the PG-13 rating this is still a pretty damn fun sequel which introduces some interesting new faces(Wesley Snipes, Antonio Banderas, Rhonda Rousey) and has some incredible action scenes.

22 Jump Street: Hilarious sequel that almost outdoes the original in terms of laughs.


I avoided Jersey Boys and Get On Up as they both looked incredibly mediocre.


Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:49 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1716
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Summer 2014 Movie Season Thoughts.
As an aside, I read today that the summer box office was the worst it has been in nearly a decade. It's unlikely any movie is going to crack $300 million this year.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:27 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1712
Post Re: Summer 2014 Movie Season Thoughts.
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
As an aside, I read today that the summer box office was the worst it has been in nearly a decade. It's unlikely any movie is going to crack $300 million this year.


Hunger Games likely will, but even so a lack of $300 mil films is pretty glaring for an entire summer.

Vex, you keep mixing up your Apes titles, though I can't say I blame you much. After all, which comes first, the rise or the dawn? Apes is the most ridiculously titled franchise, easily.


Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:52 pm
Profile
Online
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3604
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Summer 2014 Movie Season Thoughts.
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
As an aside, I read today that the summer box office was the worst it has been in nearly a decade. It's unlikely any movie is going to crack $300 million this year.

I remember the last year that was disappointing in terms of box-office was 2005, and the biggest moneymakers didn't come out until near the end of the year. I think Mockingjay Part 1 could potentially make over 300 million, but aside from that i'm not too sure.


Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:54 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1716
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Summer 2014 Movie Season Thoughts.
MGamesCook wrote:
Apes is the most ridiculously titled franchise, easily.


The proper title is Dawn of the Sequel to the Prequel to the Remake of the Planet of the Apes.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:29 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1292
Post Re: Summer 2014 Movie Season Thoughts.
This was the most anemic summer in ages for me. I felt compelled only to see one film: "Boyhood"...and seeing as that it was technically a Sundance premiere, I didn't actually see ANY film that actually came out in the traditional summer movie season of May-August. :|


Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:06 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1712
Post Re: Summer 2014 Movie Season Thoughts.
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
Apes is the most ridiculously titled franchise, easily.


The proper title is Dawn of the Sequel to the Prequel to the Remake of the Planet of the Apes.


I agree.


Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:14 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1478
Post Re: Summer 2014 Movie Season Thoughts.
Quote:
Hunger Games likely will, but even so a lack of $300 mil films is pretty glaring for an entire summer.


Guardians is on pace to pass 300 mill.


Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:19 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2090
Post Re: Summer 2014 Movie Season Thoughts.
It seemed to me a frontloaded summer except for Guardians. The other popular good movies all premiered before the first day of Summer. Boyhood doesn't seem to be getting wide distribution. It's showing at only one theatre in the Oklahoma City area, and that's something like 40 miles away. The same theatre is the only one showingCantinflas. I may make a double feature of them.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:24 pm
Profile
Online
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3604
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Summer 2014 Movie Season Thoughts.
Adding another one to the list:

November Man: Pretty good spy action-thriller was Brosnan turning in a particularly impressive performance.


Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:17 pm
Profile
Online
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3604
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Summer 2014 Movie Season Thoughts.
Here's one more:

Sin City: A Dame To Kill For- Doesn't live up to the original, but I didn't expect it, nevertheless it's still a worthy sequel with some great performances, and it's a real shame that it didn't do better at the box-office


Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:49 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1716
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Summer 2014 Movie Season Thoughts.
calvero wrote:
Quote:
Hunger Games likely will, but even so a lack of $300 mil films is pretty glaring for an entire summer.


Guardians is on pace to pass 300 mill.


After seeing the latest box office report, I'm inclined to think that Guardians will pass $300 million. But it doesn't take away from the fact that this has been an especially weak summer. Transformers was expected to break $300 mil; it'll be lucky if it hits $250. None of the other summer releases are even going to come close. It begs the question: Are people getting tired of Transformers, Spider-man, X-Men, and so on? The numbers do seem to indicate that to an extent.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:55 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 942
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: Summer 2014 Movie Season Thoughts.
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
It begs the question: Are people getting tired of Transformers, Spider-man, X-Men, and so on? The numbers do seem to indicate that to an extent.

Orrr, the economy is actually deep in the shitter, in direct contrast to what the record high stock markets suggest.


Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:59 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1712
Post Re: Summer 2014 Movie Season Thoughts.
All box office tallies indicate that people are down for new material, no doubt about it.


Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:14 pm
Profile
Online
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3604
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Summer 2014 Movie Season Thoughts.
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
calvero wrote:
Quote:
Hunger Games likely will, but even so a lack of $300 mil films is pretty glaring for an entire summer.


Guardians is on pace to pass 300 mill.


After seeing the latest box office report, I'm inclined to think that Guardians will pass $300 million. But it doesn't take away from the fact that this has been an especially weak summer. Transformers was expected to break $300 mil; it'll be lucky if it hits $250. None of the other summer releases are even going to come close. It begs the question: Are people getting tired of Transformers, Spider-man, X-Men, and so on? The numbers do seem to indicate that to an extent.

People were saying the same thing after 2005's lackluster summer box-office, but the following year the box-office bounced back quite a bit, and I expect the same to be true for 2015.


Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:57 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2191
Post Re: Summer 2014 Movie Season Thoughts.
I think it's been a very solid summer. It doesn't touch the summer of 2002, which still remains the best summer movie season of the last 15 years, but it's been a rock solid summer still. And I still have a lot of catch up to do. Still need to see Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Boyhood, Begin Again, Maleficent, Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, Snowpiercer, Life Itself, How To Train Your Dragon 2, The Double, The Giver, The Signal, The Rover, Magic in the Moonlight, What If among many others.


Top 3 Movies of the summer for me:

1. The Fault in Our Stars
2. Chef
3. X-Men: Days of Future Past

Keep in mind all that I haven't seen yet and this list could look radically different in a week.


Transformers: Age of Extinction is the worst film of the summer, however I didn't think it was awful, just mediocre.


Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:13 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1052
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: Summer 2014 Movie Season Thoughts.
Those who are friends with me on FB know I already posted the following:

1. X-Men: DOFP
2. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
3. Snowpiercer

Yes, No. 3 was not really treated like a summer movie. But it should've been, damn it. All three of these are examples of what I freakin' love: an awesome blend of action, emotion, and social commentary.

The next tier down includes Godzilla, Lucy, and How to Train Your Dragon 2. Guardians of the Galaxy will forever remain a mystery to me, and The Amazing Spiderman 2 was dreck. I never saw TMNT or Transformers 4.

Finally, I believe the lack of a $300 million movie this summer (although GOTG might cross it) means that too many of these tentpole movies were squashed together in the calendar. Our movie-going habits are starting to mirror TV more and more; get to the latest episode as soon as it comes out, talk about it a bunch for a few days, then forget about it next week. Can't say it's anyone's fault; it's just the time we live in where theater-going has more competition than ever.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:00 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1716
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Summer 2014 Movie Season Thoughts.
nitrium wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
It begs the question: Are people getting tired of Transformers, Spider-man, X-Men, and so on? The numbers do seem to indicate that to an extent.

Orrr, the economy is actually deep in the shitter, in direct contrast to what the record high stock markets suggest.


The economy was deep in the shitter in 2009, which didn't stop Avatar from cleaning up in theaters.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:16 am
Profile
Online
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3604
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Summer 2014 Movie Season Thoughts.
KWRoss wrote:
Those who are friends with me on FB know I already posted the following:

1. X-Men: DOFP
2. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
3. Snowpiercer

Yes, No. 3 was not really treated like a summer movie. But it should've been, damn it. All three of these are examples of what I freakin' love: an awesome blend of action, emotion, and social commentary.

The next tier down includes Godzilla, Lucy, and How to Train Your Dragon 2. Guardians of the Galaxy will forever remain a mystery to me, and The Amazing Spiderman 2 was dreck. I never saw TMNT or Transformers 4.

Finally, I believe the lack of a $300 million movie this summer (although GOTG might cross it) means that too many of these tentpole movies were squashed together in the calendar. Our movie-going habits are starting to mirror TV more and more; get to the latest episode as soon as it comes out, talk about it a bunch for a few days, then forget about it next week. Can't say it's anyone's fault; it's just the time we live in where theater-going has more competition than ever.


Snowpiercer for me was a film with interesting ideas that didn't really utilize them all that well, and there were too many lapses in logic for me to overlook(what's the point of having currency if you spend your entire life on a train? Why store plastic explosives near the main engine? there's also that angle with the bullets) and lots of weird stuff(people seem to react very casually to losing limbs, and WTF was up with those guys getting high on plastic explosives?) that felt like it was just weird for the sake of being weird, and I found the acting mostly unremarkable and the ending disappointing. I can honestly kind of understand why the Weinstein's were hesitant to market the film, it's just not that good IMO.

Dawn of the Apes also had a number of plot holes(Apes do not multiply that fast) and most of the characters were not very interesting of likeable(I.E. Gary Oldman's character, who suddenly turns into a total dick in the finale), so I wasn't quite as enamored with it as most critics were.

Don't think Amazing Spider Man 2 was "dreck" at all, Galaxy was pretty good so I can see the appeal there.


Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:18 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr