Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:48 pm

Great films .... as you watch them 
Producer

Post Great films .... as you watch them
Not great films ... like The Godfather, or bloody Goodfellas or whatever

Just films that will never appear on anyone's list, but nail it at the time of asking.

I mention this as last night we watched Love and Other Drugs, which i'm only 37% ashamed to say is a really good film indeed

Does anyone have anything that isnpires similar feeling?

Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:28 am
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Great films .... as you watch them
The Grey is a great movie which I never see on any lists except maybe "good movies that came out in January" lists.

I don't use the term "great" loosely either. The Grey does everything right.

Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:09 pm
Second Unit Director

Showgirls. Showgirls. Showgirls. Showgirls! Honestly this is in my immediate queue to rewatch as opposed to one I just rewatched but gotta stress that this is great every once in a while.

On the front of great films I did just watch, Eyes Wide Shut. Kubrick's most underappreciated masterpiece.

Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:24 pm
Second Unit Director

JJoshay wrote:
Showgirls. Showgirls. Showgirls. Showgirls! Honestly this is in my immediate queue to rewatch as opposed to one I just rewatched but gotta stress that this is great every once in a while.

On the front of great films I did just watch, Eyes Wide Shut. Kubrick's most underappreciated masterpiece.

I've read that Kubrick would agree with you.

Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:15 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Don't know if these count, but Primer and Moon. Both are fantastic science fiction movies that have big, BIG ideas, but are small movies, made with very little budgets (Primer was made for a few thousand).

Both were critically acclaimed, but I never hear anyone mention them when people discuss science fiction genre, so I'm listing them.

Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:29 pm
Second Unit Director

Gedmud wrote:

Not entirely sure what you mean by this so instead of jumping to conclusions what exactly do you mean?

Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:33 pm
Second Unit Director

JJoshay wrote:
Gedmud wrote:

Not entirely sure what you mean by this so instead of jumping to conclusions what exactly do you mean?

I read that Kubrick called Eyes Wide Shut his best work, so if that's true, I'd assume he would agree that the film is under appreciated.

Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:40 pm
Assistant Director

Brotherhood of the Wolf. It's my number one favorite. If it wasn't 130 am and I didn't have class tomorrow, I'd put it into the Blu Ray right now.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:36 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

The Egg and I 1947

Great movie which introduces the world to 'Ma and Pa Kettle' and gives origins to "Green Acres". I picked up this VHS tape at a local thrift shop and one New Year's Eve, after finding Bruno to be unwatchable, popped it into the player and was carried into the remotest reaches of farming life and escapism with Claudette Colbert and Fred Macmurray. It has become one of my kids most requested movies and represents their inoculation for B/W movies.
It is a great movie in every way I would personally define one.

Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:36 pm
Second Unit Director

127 Hours is in my personal top five, and I imagine that I might be the only person to ever say that. It gave me the most powerful emotional reaction I've ever had from a movie, and I believe that it's a life-affirming masterpiece.

Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:53 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Not sure if this one fits the bill, but I rarely see people mention Syriana among their favorites. If I made a Top 10, I think it would always find its way into it.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

JJoshay wrote:

It would probably be my #2 Kubrick.

Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

CruJones wrote:
Don't know if these count, but Primer and Moon. Both are fantastic science fiction movies that have big, BIG ideas, but are small movies, made with very little budgets (Primer was made for a few thousand).

Both were critically acclaimed, but I never hear anyone mention them when people discuss science fiction genre, so I'm listing them.

I haven't seen Primer, but I loved Moon. Great film.

Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:53 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

When I was a younger fellow I saw Ruthless People (1986) and thought it was a greàt comedy. Haven't seen it since, but while I was watching it I was highly entertained. Apparently others didn't feel that way as it seems to have been mostly forgotten.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:34 am
Auteur

There are quite a few films I like(or dislike) where I often feel completely alone in my opinion.

Some examples being Ballistic: Ecks vs Sever, I Frankenstein, Rollerball remake, Bucky Larson, In the Mix, Simon Sez, Car 54 Where Are You?, Gigli, Hobgoblins, Alone in the Dark(2005), House of the Dead, Leonard Part 6, Glitter, Who's Your Caddy? and way too many others to list.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:36 pm
Producer

Glitter, wow!

If only films could be pulped

Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:58 am
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
Glitter, wow!

If only films could be pulped

Does that mean destroyed?

If that's the case i'd love for worthless garbage like Southland Tales to be "pulped".

Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:23 pm
Assistant Director

The 40-Year-Old Virgin is and will always be a great movie to me and this irrespective of its actual quality -- it runs about 30-45 minutes too long, the second half is often awkward and unfunny, a large majority of the scenes feel like they were lifted out of improv classes, the movie isn't at all cohesive and reflects an enthusiasm that includes everything but good, followed-through writing.

What it does have, largely because it isn't entirely competent and has 50% of its running time given to silly vignettes, is a madcap appeal that gets me invested every time I catch all or some of it. It's a perfect background movie for me: it runs like a highlight reel of itself but isn't suffocating in its aimlessness. So it isn't Great, no. But it is, to me, lovable.

Equally excellent, maybe for different reasons, is Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle. Arguably the better movie, HKGTWC has the advantage of playing out as an epic adventure about absolutely nothing of relevance. Or maybe of deep relevance, depending on how you want to look at it. Like the Virgin movie, it has enough looseness that it isn't an exhausting watch but enough dopey passion to make the movie kind of essential to me. It's incredible entertainment and, with the right lens, kind of a nice commentary. I like all the Harold and Kumar movies for this reason: they're not just some tossed out low stakes nonsense (though they are, at different points, just that) but well-crafted teasing. And some of the single scenes in each of the movies are so great that I have to fight the urge to YouTube them... I'd rather see them in their idiot context. They all get played at least once or twice a year.

Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:20 pm
Producer

40 year old Virgin is solid stuff.

Carell nails it with humour and warmth. I just think Keener is badly cast

Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:36 pm
Assistant Director

Yes, I really love Carell in that movie. The only performance of his that I've liked.

Though I like Keener in the movie, too. Let me amend that: I like her in parts of the movie. As expected, she's reduced to a whining shrew toward the end but that's a fault of the movie's schizoid pacing and the need, as per accepted tradition, to wrap things up. One gets the feeling the movie could have been four hours at the rate they were going. But back to Keener: she delivers something a little more human, a little less horrible android than what she had in her bigger roles. And someone like her, maybe defined by her great take in the Malkovich movie, isn't a conventional love interest. I guess I can see your take as she's the only actual actor in the entire movie. Still, she's more familiar than the traditional Apatow ovary carrier. The best scenes will always be the ones where the guys bond and the movie has steady footing. Again, the second half just isn't as good.

Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:39 pm