Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:15 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
Viewing Journal -- 2014 
Author Message
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Viewing Journal -- 2014
And Douglas Trumble! Douglas. Motherfucking. Trumble. One of the most plausible visualizations of a microorganism outbreak you're ever likely to see in a movie, not to mention the coolest.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:47 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 pm
Posts: 863
Post Re: Viewing Journal -- 2014
Thief12 wrote:
3/22 - Kill Bill, Vol. 1 = A
3/22 - Kill Bill, Vol. 2 = A


For a while I towed the film nerd line and maintained that Kill Bill would be flawed so long as it remained split. For a while, I saw the genius of the whole thanks in large part to the split highlighting how unusual a film it really was. For a while, I just kind of went on about my life and didn't really think about Kill Bill. After Django Unchained left me underwhelmed if not frustrated, believing there was a great 90 or 100 minute movie in the scattered 160 minutes, I re-watched Kill Bill and once again changed my tune.

In about 250 minutes, there is just about 100-115 great minutes. The final 45 minutes of Vol. 2 is exceptional, wouldn't want to change a thing about it. The rest is great in short bursts (opening fight between Uma and Vivica Fox, Bud's humiliating experience in the strip club) strung about with a lot of good looking, maybe even very entertaining, padding. It's cool that Tarantino is such a geek that he had to stuff all of his many loves into one (two) movies but, boy, does the whole thing suffer when his wet dream gets fully translated: anime, Lady Vengeance bloodshed, that endless (and, eventually, tiresome) fight against the Crazy 88. I'm sure there's a tight fan edit out there that trims down the excess into something genuinely great. The thing is, I theoretically love the film: it's got everything under the sun and it's all blended together just about perfectly. But it's just not that great a movie(s): too much, much too much. There are entire sections (again: that last 45 minutes is amazing) that deserve to plated in gold and shot toward Voyager so alien civilizations may know just how enthusiastic Tarantino was about his obsessions. If only it came together into something other than what we got.

I'll probably change my mind in a couple of years. To date, Tarantino has two masterpieces to his name. That non-existent two hour Kill Bill would be a third.

_________________
"The Internet has given everybody in America a voice. For some reason, everybody decides to use that voice to bitch about movies." - Holden McNeil


Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:18 am
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:45 pm
Posts: 473
Post Re: Viewing Journal -- 2014
Ken wrote:
And Douglas Trumble! Douglas. Motherfucking. Trumble. One of the most plausible visualizations of a microorganism outbreak you're ever likely to see in a movie, not to mention the coolest.


It's Douglas (motherfucking) Trumbull! And yes, 'The Andromeda Strain' is a good movie, although the action scene at the end with those laser guns is a bit silly.

Ken wrote:
Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky


And that is something else entirely. How did you like it? (Although it's a stupid question. How could anybody not like a movie, in which the hero, who isn't even called Ricky, karate chops a dog in half.)

Mark III wrote:
Thief12 wrote:
3/22 - Kill Bill, Vol. 1 = A
3/22 - Kill Bill, Vol. 2 = A


For a while I towed the film nerd line and maintained that Kill Bill would be flawed so long as it remained split. For a while, I saw the genius of the whole thanks in large part to the split highlighting how unusual a film it really was. For a while, I just kind of went on about my life and didn't really think about Kill Bill. After Django Unchained left me underwhelmed if not frustrated, believing there was a great 90 or 100 minute movie in the scattered 160 minutes, I re-watched Kill Bill and once again changed my tune.

In about 250 minutes, there is just about 100-115 great minutes. The final 45 minutes of Vol. 2 is exceptional, wouldn't want to change a thing about it. The rest is great in short bursts (opening fight between Uma and Vivica Fox, Bud's humiliating experience in the strip club) strung about with a lot of good looking, maybe even very entertaining, padding. It's cool that Tarantino is such a geek that he had to stuff all of his many loves into one (two) movies but, boy, does the whole thing suffer when his wet dream gets fully translated: anime, Lady Vengeance bloodshed, that endless (and, eventually, tiresome) fight against the Crazy 88. I'm sure there's a tight fan edit out there that trims down the excess into something genuinely great. The thing is, I theoretically love the film: it's got everything under the sun and it's all blended together just about perfectly. But it's just not that great a movie(s): too much, much too much. There are entire sections (again: that last 45 minutes is amazing) that deserve to plated in gold and shot toward Voyager so alien civilizations may know just how enthusiastic Tarantino was about his obsessions. If only it came together into something other than what we got.

I'll probably change my mind in a couple of years. To date, Tarantino has two masterpieces to his name. That non-existent two hour Kill Bill would be a third.


I'm in agreement that there is a fantastic two hour movie in both Kill Bills, but I actually think that the last 45 minutes of part 2 are about the weakest parts of the movies. I think the ending is boring, talky and anti-climactic. Then again, I really liked the epic fight against the Crazy 88. You know what? Let's amalgamate Vol. 1 and 2 and make two new Kill Bill movies, one for you (you can keep the strip club scene, too) and one for me (must have the entire sequence from when Michael Madsen shots Uma Thurman to when she digs herself out of the grave, I'm afraid).


Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:09 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Viewing Journal -- 2014
I didn't care for the dog bit myself (I'm kind of a wuss about depictions of violence against animals), but Riki-Oh in general is a gas. It's cheesy martial arts cinema as if directed by 1980s Sam Raimi, and I mean that in only the most affectionate of ways. They took a ripoff of Hokuto No Ken and turned it into a demo reel for shoestring budget gore effects. Lots of fun, as long as you don't mind letting your hair down and enjoying bad cinema at its finest.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:31 am
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm
Posts: 737
Post Re: Viewing Journal -- 2014
JamesKunz wrote:
Pompeii (2014) *½
The Past (2013) ***½


Movie #1: Struggling to go with "must have been a slow weekend in the Kunz household," or "you mean a movie by the great, misunderstood Paul WS Anderson didn't appeal to the contrarian in you?"

Movie #2: I loved that and would love to hear your thoughts on it. Maybe not quite as good as A Separation, but still excellent.


Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:11 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6499
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Viewing Journal -- 2014
PeachyPete wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Pompeii (2014) *½
The Past (2013) ***½


Movie #1: Struggling to go with "must have been a slow weekend in the Kunz household," or "you mean a movie by the great, misunderstood Paul WS Anderson didn't appeal to the contrarian in you?"

Movie #2: I loved that and would love to hear your thoughts on it. Maybe not quite as good as A Separation, but still excellent.


Movie 1: My wife is a Latin teacher! That's....pretty much the whole reason. I have no dog in the "Paul WS Anderson is actually an auteur" fight, and I think frankly even his defenders are having a hard time finding their inner sophists on this one.

Movie 2: Liked it a great deal. Though Berenice Bejo was so beautiful that it was hard to take my eyes off her. More to the point, the movie does a wonderful job developing real characters and watching them deal with difficult decisions. The narrative neatly shifts its focus (and allegiance) to different characters throughout the movie, and the screenplay wisely avoids making anyone a villain or a hero. All in all, a very good film

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:38 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 1782
Post Re: Viewing Journal -- 2014
I remember Berenice Bejo in A Knight's Tale. She was the female lead's lady-in-waiting, and I thought she was stunning. If I'd been the "Knight," I might have set my sights a little to the side. Or gone after the female blacksmith.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:33 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:35 pm
Posts: 818
Location: Puerto Rico
Post Re: Viewing Journal -- 2014
Mark III wrote:
Thief12 wrote:
3/22 - Kill Bill, Vol. 1 = A
3/22 - Kill Bill, Vol. 2 = A


For a while I towed the film nerd line and maintained that Kill Bill would be flawed so long as it remained split. For a while, I saw the genius of the whole thanks in large part to the split highlighting how unusual a film it really was. For a while, I just kind of went on about my life and didn't really think about Kill Bill. After Django Unchained left me underwhelmed if not frustrated, believing there was a great 90 or 100 minute movie in the scattered 160 minutes, I re-watched Kill Bill and once again changed my tune.

In about 250 minutes, there is just about 100-115 great minutes. The final 45 minutes of Vol. 2 is exceptional, wouldn't want to change a thing about it. The rest is great in short bursts (opening fight between Uma and Vivica Fox, Bud's humiliating experience in the strip club) strung about with a lot of good looking, maybe even very entertaining, padding. It's cool that Tarantino is such a geek that he had to stuff all of his many loves into one (two) movies but, boy, does the whole thing suffer when his wet dream gets fully translated: anime, Lady Vengeance bloodshed, that endless (and, eventually, tiresome) fight against the Crazy 88. I'm sure there's a tight fan edit out there that trims down the excess into something genuinely great. The thing is, I theoretically love the film: it's got everything under the sun and it's all blended together just about perfectly. But it's just not that great a movie(s): too much, much too much. There are entire sections (again: that last 45 minutes is amazing) that deserve to plated in gold and shot toward Voyager so alien civilizations may know just how enthusiastic Tarantino was about his obsessions. If only it came together into something other than what we got.

I'll probably change my mind in a couple of years. To date, Tarantino has two masterpieces to his name. That non-existent two hour Kill Bill would be a third.


It is a film of excesses, and Tarantino does throw everything at the audience, but I'm glad that he revels in it, instead of timidly letting it all go in spurts. And to me, this weird mish-mash of homages, rip-offs, styles, and genres works. I have issues with parts of it (most notably, the whole Pai Mei scene), but I usually attribute it to my lack of familiarity with the Chinese films it is referencing. To me, the whole Kill Bill is more successful than Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained, both of which I thought were really good.

_________________
"Get busy living, or get busy dying"

Visit my site: Thief12 profile


Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:46 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:29 am
Posts: 356
Location: Watertown, SD
Post Re: Viewing Journal -- 2014
March 2014 was my worst month since I started watching movies with any sort of consistency. I'll fix that in April.

Fruitvale Station 4/4
I Love You, Man 2.5/4
Rush 3.5/4
Drinking Buddies 3/4
Nebraska 3.5/4
Blue is the Warmest Color 3/4
Frozen 3.5/4*
Pulp Fiction 4/4*

*indicates rewatch

Top 5 First-Time Viewings
1. Fruitvale Station
2. Nebraska
3. Rush
4. Drinking Buddies
5. Blue is the Warmest Color

_________________
https://twitter.com/Steven_Renner23


Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:41 pm
Posts: 566
Location: The Desert
Post Re: Viewing Journal -- 2014
Fell behind on this, but I've fallen behind on a lot of things movie-related recently:

March

3/1/2014: The Wind Rises: 5/10.
3/2/2014: Nebraska: 8/10.*
3/3/2014: Gravity: 7/10.*
3/5/2014: Zatoichi's Pilgrimage: 7/10.
3/7/2014: The Cat And The Canary: 4/10.
3/8/2014: Blue Is The Warmest Color: 8/10.
3/10/2014: Last Year At Marienbad: 8/10.*
3/11/2014: Inside Llewyn Davis: 9/10.*
3/12/2014: Zatoichi's Cane Sword: 8/10.
3/13/2014: The Kid: 6/10.
3/15/2014: The Grand Budapest Hotel: 8/10.
3/18/2014: The Long Day Closes: 7/10.
3/19/2014: Zatoichi The Outlaw: 7/10.
3/20/2014: American Hustle: 7/10.*
3/22/2014: The LEGO Movie: 8/10.*
3/23/2014: Frozen: 9/10.*
3/26/2014: The Past: 9/10.
3/30/2014: Persona: 9/10.*
3/31/2014: Ghostbusters II: 3/10.

*repeat viewing

Top three first-time viewings:

The Past
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Blue Is The Warmest Color


And here's April so far:

4/2/2014: Gattaca: 9/10.*
4/4/2014: Enemy: 7/10.
4/5/2014: Ernest & Celestine: 9/10.
4/11/2014: Mistaken For Strangers: 6/10.

_________________
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Letterboxd Profile


Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:02 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 pm
Posts: 863
Post Re: Viewing Journal -- 2014
I'm calling it for the month. Stars have been applied.

April 2014

1. Teri Meri Kahaani **
2. Sorry, Wrong Number ***
3. Short Term 12 **
4. Pumping Iron ***
5. Ministry of Fear ***
6. Thieves' Highway ***
7. Scanners **
8. Dillinger (1945) **1/2
9. Dial 1119 ***
10. In A World... **1/2

Nothing great, nothing terrible.

May
1 The Awful Truth

_________________
"The Internet has given everybody in America a voice. For some reason, everybody decides to use that voice to bitch about movies." - Holden McNeil


Last edited by Mark III on Wed May 07, 2014 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:33 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6499
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Viewing Journal -- 2014
Blonde Almond wrote:
Fell behind on this, but I've fallen behind on a lot of things movie-related recently:

March

3/1/2014: The Wind Rises: 5/10.
3/2/2014: Nebraska: 8/10.*
3/3/2014: Gravity: 7/10.*
3/5/2014: Zatoichi's Pilgrimage: 7/10.
3/7/2014: The Cat And The Canary: 4/10.
3/8/2014: Blue Is The Warmest Color: 8/10.
3/10/2014: Last Year At Marienbad: 8/10.*
3/11/2014: Inside Llewyn Davis: 9/10.*
3/12/2014: Zatoichi's Cane Sword: 8/10.
3/13/2014: The Kid: 6/10.
3/15/2014: The Grand Budapest Hotel: 8/10.
3/18/2014: The Long Day Closes: 7/10.
3/19/2014: Zatoichi The Outlaw: 7/10.
3/20/2014: American Hustle: 7/10.*
3/22/2014: The LEGO Movie: 8/10.*
3/23/2014: Frozen: 9/10.*
3/26/2014: The Past: 9/10.
3/30/2014: Persona: 9/10.*
3/31/2014: Ghostbusters II: 3/10.

*repeat viewing

Top three first-time viewings:

The Past
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Blue Is The Warmest Color


And here's April so far:

4/2/2014: Gattaca: 9/10.*
4/4/2014: Enemy: 7/10.
4/5/2014: Ernest & Celestine: 9/10.
4/11/2014: Mistaken For Strangers: 6/10.


God I love Gattaca.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:17 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1453
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Viewing Journal -- 2014
APRIL

Great Expectations (1946) - 7.5/10
Blade Runner (1982) - 7.5/10
A Matter of Life and Death (1946) - 8.5/10
Fear and Desire (1953) - 5.5/10
Perfect Sense (2012) - 8.5/10
Trouble in Paradise (1932) - 10/10
Killer's Kiss (1955) - 6/10

300: Rise of an Empire (2014) - 6/10
The Freshman (1925) - 9/10
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) - 8.5/10
Noah (2014) - 7/10
The Good Fairy (1935) - 7/10
Seven Chances (1925) - 8/10
The Killing (1956) - 8.5/10

Paths of Glory (1957) - 10/10*
Downhill (1927) - 6/10
The Farmer's Wife (1928) - 4.5/10
Easy Virtue (1928) - 5/10
Champagne (1928) - 4/10
The Manxman (1929) - 6/10
Blackmail (1929) - 7/10
Juno and the Paycock (1930) - 3/10
Murder! (1930) - 6/10
The Skin Game (1931) - 5/10
Rich and Strange (1931) - 4/10

Number Seventeen (1932) - 4.5/10
Waltzes from Vienna (1934) - 5/10
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934) - 7.5/10
The 39 Steps (1935) - 8/10
Grand Piano (2014) - 7/10
Wake in Fright (1971) - 7.5/10
Stalker (1979) - 8/10

*=rewatches

Top 5 first watches:
Trouble in Paradise
The Freshman
A Matter of Life and Death
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Perfect Sense


Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:58 am
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:45 pm
Posts: 473
Post Re: Viewing Journal -- 2014
April 2014

Captain Phillips (2013) (Greengrass) - 7/10
The Girl from Rio (1969) (Franco) - 3/10
Behind the Candelabra (2013) (Soderbergh) - 7/10
Inside Llewyn Davis (2013) (Coen Brothers) - 7/10
Rush (2013) (Mangold) - 6/10
The Stranger (1946) (Welles) - 5/10
Nights of Cabiria (1957) (Fellini) - 6/10
Massacre Time (1966) (Fulci) - 6/10
Kokowääh (2011) (Schweiger) - 2/10
Lair of the White Worm (1988) (Russell) - 5/10


Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:35 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 1133
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: Viewing Journal -- 2014
My brother, his wife and three kids staying over Easter and the week prior guaranteed a super slow month for me.

April 2014
Skinwalkers (2006) 3
5 Centimeters Per Second (2007) 9
Silent Hill: Revelation 3D (2012) 3
Enemy (2013) 5
Frozen (2013) 5
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013) 7
The Machine (2013) 6
Rush (2013) 7
Snowpiercer (2013) 8
Solyaris (1972) 8
Dom Hemingway (2013) 5
Lone Survivor (2013) 7


Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:27 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:35 pm
Posts: 818
Location: Puerto Rico
Post Re: Viewing Journal -- 2014
I don't think I'll be able to squeeze one tonight, so here it is...

APRIL 2014

4/5 - Dirty Harry = B+
4/13 - Dallas Buyers Club = B+
4/13 - Serenity = A
4/17 - Margin Call = A-
4/18 - Seven = A+
4/19 - Glengarry Glen Ross = A-
4/19 - Wrong Turn = C


*rewatches


I actually thought I would see more, mostly because I had a good run during the first two weeks (probably because of Easter), but I ended up "sputtering" to the finish line.

_________________
"Get busy living, or get busy dying"

Visit my site: Thief12 profile


Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:48 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 pm
Posts: 863
Post Re: Viewing Journal -- 2014
nitrium wrote:
5 Centimeters Per Second (2007) 9
Snowpiercer (2013) 8


I like your write-ups. Don't know if it's worth seeing an edited version of Snowpiercer but I'll do my best to find a copy of the anime.

_________________
"The Internet has given everybody in America a voice. For some reason, everybody decides to use that voice to bitch about movies." - Holden McNeil


Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:20 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Viewing Journal -- 2014
APRIL

The Andromeda Strain
Hollywoodland
Sexy Beast
Inception (RiffTrax)

Busy month. But, "Every little bit helps," said the old woman as she pissed in the sea.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:51 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1453
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Viewing Journal -- 2014
Mark III wrote:
nitrium wrote:
5 Centimeters Per Second (2007) 9
Snowpiercer (2013) 8


I like your write-ups. Don't know if it's worth seeing an edited version of Snowpiercer but I'll do my best to find a copy of the anime.


I don't think there is any edited version out there isn't it? Heard Weinstein's plan doesn't fall through.


Thu May 01, 2014 12:49 am
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 pm
Posts: 863
Post Re: Viewing Journal -- 2014
peng wrote:
Mark III wrote:
nitrium wrote:
5 Centimeters Per Second (2007) 9
Snowpiercer (2013) 8


I like your write-ups. Don't know if it's worth seeing an edited version of Snowpiercer but I'll do my best to find a copy of the anime.


I don't think there is any edited version out there isn't it? Heard Weinstein's plan doesn't fall through.


I'll admit that I don't know. I heard something about x months ago that said otherwise. I rely on you guys for information concerning movies as I don't track any of that stuff on my own. I'll check it out when it's released in June. Or, realistically, I'll see it when it's released on video. So I'll report back in August or September or whatever and whatever amen.

_________________
"The Internet has given everybody in America a voice. For some reason, everybody decides to use that voice to bitch about movies." - Holden McNeil


Thu May 01, 2014 1:22 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr