Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:32 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Viewing Journal -- 2014 
Cinematographer

Post Re: Viewing Journal -- 2014
JamesKunz wrote:
Unke wrote:
I haven't read the book, but I think that 'Mosquito Coast' is a good movie. Harrison Ford is very good in it, probably the best and most complex of his performances, as far as I've seen them. What is it you didn't like about the film?

These days as an enlightened filmgoer I try not to judge a movie by the book, but when I watched the movie I wasn't in that frame of mind and couldn't believe how much they simplified and distorted what I believe to be a masterpiece. I don't really have any solid complains other than that they take an epic story and truncated it so much. The ending of the film in particular comes out of nowhere and has nothing on the book's and Christ I'm doing it again.

Even not having read the book myself, it felt to me when watching the film that it was skimming over the surface of something far deeper. That's something I wouldn't have expected from a collaboration between Peter Weir and Paul Schrader, both of whom have obviously been responsible for great work.

Harrison Ford does deserves a lot of credit though for really throwing himself into the central role; it's unlike anything he's ever played before, and it's amazing just how obnoxious and infuriating he makes that character right from the get-go. It's a towering performance, but because it's given so much focus that could have been more evenly spread out to other areas, it ends up bringing down the film.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:40 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Post Re: Viewing Journal -- 2014
Blonde Almond wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Unke wrote:
I haven't read the book, but I think that 'Mosquito Coast' is a good movie. Harrison Ford is very good in it, probably the best and most complex of his performances, as far as I've seen them. What is it you didn't like about the film?

These days as an enlightened filmgoer I try not to judge a movie by the book, but when I watched the movie I wasn't in that frame of mind and couldn't believe how much they simplified and distorted what I believe to be a masterpiece. I don't really have any solid complains other than that they take an epic story and truncated it so much. The ending of the film in particular comes out of nowhere and has nothing on the book's and Christ I'm doing it again.

Even not having read the book myself, it felt to me when watching the film that it was skimming over the surface of something far deeper. That's something I wouldn't have expected from a collaboration between Peter Weir and Paul Schrader, both of whom have obviously been responsible for great work.

Harrison Ford does deserves a lot of credit though for really throwing himself into the central role; it's unlike anything he's ever played before, and it's amazing just how obnoxious and infuriating he makes that character right from the get-go. It's a towering performance, but because it's given so much focus that could have been more evenly spread out to other areas, it ends up bringing down the film.

Agreed; in the book, Allie Fox is a mesmerizing character. In the movie, he's an asshole.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:56 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7