Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:20 am

Changes to the Pedros 
Second Unit Director

Post Changes to the Pedros
1. If I recall correctly, Shade has been a been proponent of this: the Best Sound Mixing and Best Sound Editing categories will be consolidated into one category, named Best Use of Sound.

2. I read an article about how the Academy should have two separate cinematography awards, and so we'll beat them to it: the Best Cinematography category will be split in two. One will be for CGI-based films like Gravity and Monsters University and the other will be for films that use, well, cinematography. The names of the categories as well as how the voting process will be handled (i.e. what's CGI-based and what's not) is to be determined.

3. Last year for the Lifetime Achievement Award, you guys gave me ten names so I could have a playing field to work with. For new nominees this year, I'll only want two or three. I don't want the list of potentials to get too big such that there's no consensus on anyone.

All of these will be implemented unless there's a huge uproar. Discussion is encouraged, particularly with the second change.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:36 pm
Gaffer

Post Re: Changes to the Pedros
1. Once everyone understands the difference between sound mixing and editing, then I don't see the need to split the categories. However, I figure this is not the case. What exactly defines "use of sound"?

2. No problem with this.

3. Yeah 2 or 3 submissions please.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:17 pm
Second Unit Director

Since a film like Gravity uses both actual cinematography and CGI, could it conceivably be honored in both categories?

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:07 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

1. I'm not sure this was me? You're a smarter cat than I, though, so it may have been. I'm dispassionate about it either way -- I think mixing is tough to judge (easier to notice bad than good, for many), but I'm fine however you want to do it.

2. Fantastic idea. I'm not as much a fan of Gravity as many, but it presents a pretty compelling case that there needs to be a line of separation, and being able to include animated films that tell a visually interesting story that way is fantastic.

3. Again, great idea, although I'm having trouble recalling what we settled on: are you doing it MLB HOF-style or something else?

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:31 pm
Producer

The cinematography award should be reserved exclusively for movies that are done either without CGI or a bare minimum of it. As Gravity is dominated by CGI in almost every shot, it would be eligible for the other category, whatever we end up calling it.

Cinematography is the art of capturing moving images with a camera--photography in motion. To oversimplify, a CGI-heavy movie like Gravity is more of a painterly accomplishment than a photographic one.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:33 pm
Director

I've never participated in this before, so someone remind me how it works. Is there a ballot we send in to Pedro?

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:40 pm
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
The cinematography award should be reserved exclusively for movies that are done either without CGI or a bare minimum of it. As Gravity is dominated by CGI in almost every shot, it would be eligible for the other category, whatever we end up calling it.

Cinematography is the art of capturing moving images with a camera--photography in motion. To oversimplify, a CGI-heavy movie like Gravity is more of a painterly accomplishment than a photographic one.

I suppose a better example would be something like The Hobbit. A movie with several CGI sequences, but also with plenty of actual cinematography. Would a movie like this be considered in both categories? Or would each movie be eligible for only one?

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

I haven't seen the Hobbit movies yet, so I can't comment. The original Lord of the Rings movies were relatively low on CGI, but I've heard that the Hobbit movies use it more liberally.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:46 pm
Second Unit Director

1. Pedro has been courteous enough to post Youtube videos to demonstrate the difference between Editing and Mixing. I've read up on both categories a lot. However, I still cannot for the life of me properly differentiate between the two when it comes to coughing up my actual nominations. So putting them together and having one category for the film with the best sound is OK with me.

2. I love, love, love this idea. With the advent of CGI-dominated films like Life of Pi and Gravity, I would be happy if the Academy went this way as well. But like Pedro said, we should stay ahead of the curve, baby! 8-)

3. If the notion is to have enough overlaps so that we can arrive at a consensus, then wouldn't it make more sense to have more numbers. Or do I have it backwards. Either ways, I am fine with 3. Will make it easier to narrow down my list.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:11 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

I like #2 in theory. I wonder, however, how exactly you figure out which movies to include where. I'm thinking in particular of a movie like O Brother Where Art Thou, where there were not many obvious CGI elements, but where every shot had the color edited digitally to turn all that green grass dustbowl-brown.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:03 am
Producer

That is color timing and it's a process that long predates CGI, even if it was accomplished with computers in this case.

Even allowing that this would stretch the rules, it is not a 100th of the obscenity of making a movie like Avatar eligible for a cinematography award.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:08 am
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
That is color timing and it's a process that long predates CGI, even if it was accomplished with computers in this case.

Even allowing that this would stretch the rules, it is not a 100th of the obscenity of making a movie like Avatar eligible for a cinematography award.

Yeah exactly. Virtually every film released this year (and most of the past ten years at least) undergo color grading/timing to some degree -- Prisoners allegedly didn't and that was a HUGE deal. Not at all comparable to CGI as its used in Gravity or Avatar.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:56 am
Second Unit Director

So in trying to list some examples for this newfangled award, I came up with a very likely list for our Best Visual Effects category. I'm not sure there's a whole lot separating the two. Maybe we should just stick to one category and instead be more discerning about what we nominate.

I don't know anymore. :(

As a reminder, here are your returning candidates for the Lifetime Achievement Award:

Bill Murray
Charlie Chaplin
Christopher Walken
Gene Hackman
Hayao Miyazaki
Humphrey Bogart
Ingmar Bergman
Jimmy Stewart
Joel and Ethan Coen
Max von Sydow
Meryl Streep
Nicolas Cage
Orson Welles
Robert De Niro
Roger Deakins
Sally Menke
Steven Spielberg
Werner Herzog
Woody Allen

To clarify: when it comes to nominating new people, I only want three candidates, e.g. Katherine Hepburn, Yasujiro Ozu, Jack Nicholson. When it comes to the final ballot, I want up to ten names. I might extend that in future years, though probably not this year. It kind of depends on what the MLB Hall of Fame does.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:32 am