Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:13 pm

2013 In Retrospect. 
Director

Post Re: 2013 In Retrospect.
nitrium wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:
December's been a good month. Gravity was easily the best film I saw last year, but the competition for 2 - 10 is stiff. I saw two contenders for top five in the last two days: (The Wolf of Wall Street and Saving Mr. Banks.)

I have obviously seen Gravity (after JBs review and insane buzz it became a must see, especially given it is in my absolute favourite genre), and I'm going to be a complete shithead for a lot of people here (and the reason I didn't do a capsule review of it - 'cos why invite hate?), but imo it just wasn't that great. It was good, but not great. I rated it a solid 8/10 (and only because I love the genre), but problems are numerous - not least Sandra Bullock's annoying character and George Clooney's bizarro totally unrealistic gung ho emotionless space cowboy. I just about choked when he suggested (without laughing) they go for a space hop from shuttle, to ISS to China space station. The insane vastness of being in space was not captured in Gravity whatsoever - it seemed they were merely drifting in a lake - certainly not a 500+ MILLION square kilometer area (and that would assume just two dimensions!). The movie opens with some utter bullshit about the ultra-low temperatures of space... given that you can't by definition ever measure a vacuum's temperature for obvious reasons and that the heat of an OBJECT in a vacuum is only lost via infra-red radiation (since there is no body (atmosphere) to directly lose heat to). I make near perfect vacuums routinely the lab all the time, and I sure as shit don't see how it could be considered "cold" or "hot" - how can it be?. I seriously wonder how long it would take in space to actually start to feel cold - given that you lose heat only via infra-red radiation (even naked you are technically perfectly insulated from normal heat loss). If Gravity truly represents the very best of 2013, it was, as I strongly suspect (still have a LOT to see!), not a great year.

My rating would be lower than an 8, but apart from that I would make exactly the same points. Cool.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:51 am