Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:00 pm

30th anniversary of "The Terminator" - October 26th 
Second Unit Director

Post 30th anniversary of "The Terminator" - October 26th
Still a great film after 30 years and a career highlight for Arnold Schwarzenegger and James Cameron. Any fans of The Terminator?

Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:24 am
Director

Post Re: 30th anniversary of "The Terminator" - October 26th
ck100 wrote:
Still a great film after 30 years and a career highlight for Arnold Schwarzenegger and James Cameron. Any fans of The Terminator?

You called? Great film. Illegally (due to age) saw it way back in the day. Better than the much more adored sequel in a lot of ways. Have seen it probably 10 times or so, but not in the last decade.

Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:35 am
Auteur

When I was a teenager I watched all three Terminator films in one day(that was before Salvation was announced) and enjoyed them all, hard to say which is my favorite. Can't wait for Genesis!

Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:24 am
Producer

I am definitely among those that thought the sequel was better. In fact the second film is among my all time favorite movies and I think a masterpiece of it's genre. But the first movie is great. I just happen to appreciate Arnold better as the hero than as the villain though he's certainly great in the first film as well. Terrific chemistry between Hamilton and Beihn. It's a great love story. A great sci-fi flick. And a great chase film, all wrapped up into a satisfying whole.

Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:59 am
Assistant Director

30 years, damn!

Anyway, great film. One of my favorites, and I'm one of those that thinks it's better than the sequel.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:17 am
Profile WWW
Director

Thief12 wrote:
30 years, damn!
Anyway, great film. One of my favorites, and I'm one of those that thinks it's better than the sequel.

Yeah the sequel had some very lame stuff in it. e.g. After Arnie shoots up the cop cars with a minigun, and then scans around to come up "0 casualities"... not only was it not plausible (I know, it's a story about time travel and a liquid-metal robot so everything becomes plausible, right? well, imo no) that's like an anti-terminator and doesn't "fit" in with it's nature. I appreciate it was told to do that but that doesn't make it any less lame. And the thumb up at the end, did anyone not groan?

Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:23 pm
Director

Love it still. I'd say it and the sequel are about on the same level (same as with Alien and Aliens).

The original is a lot more somber in tone and isn't as full of action. The second kinda overdoes it in a spot and a few elements are kinda corny. But on the whole I'd say they're both deserving of their reputations as cult classics.

The third one was entertaining. More of a garden variety action movie and lacking the depth of the first two, But as far as generic action films go, it was one of the better ones of that era. Salvation was a farce.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:38 pm
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Love it still. I'd say it and the sequel are about on the same level (same as with Alien and Aliens).

The original is a lot more somber in tone and isn't as full of action. The second kinda overdoes it in a spot and a few elements are kinda corny. But on the whole I'd say they're both deserving of their reputations as cult classics.

The third one was entertaining. More of a garden variety action movie and lacking the depth of the first two, But as far as generic action films go, it was one of the better ones of that era. Salvation was a farce.

I don't think it was a "farce" at all, It had some interesting ideas.

Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:03 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:

I don't think it was a "farce" at all, It had some interesting ideas.

Yes I definitely prefer Salvation over T3 - which really went nowhere new whatsoever. Neither are as good as T1 and T2 though.

Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:15 am
Director

T3 had probably the best ending in the series.

Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:42 am
Assistant Director

I can understand some of the complaints thrown against T3, but I love it. I've probably said this before, but in some ways I consider it better than T2.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:44 am
Profile WWW