Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:30 pm

Dear White People (2014) 
Director

Post Dear White People (2014)
JB probably won't review this, so here's a thread for anyone who has seen it already or plans to.

This is a terrific, razor-sharp satire. It's all about the micro-aggressions and stereotyping that constantly occurs today, especially at universities. I love ensemble pieces, and every character gets multiple, wonderful, standout scenes. Even though the movie is a satire of racial attitudes, and as such a few things are exaggerated a bit, two characters in particular stand out above the pack: passionate pot-stirrer Sam (a phenomenal Tessa Thompson); and Lionel (Tyler James Williams from the show "Everybody Hates Chris"), a shy, socially awkward young man whose struggle to easily fit in to any clique feels all too real.

The overall storyline can become a little overstuffed and chaotic at times, but even so, I love the boldness of this movie and the myriad of topics it covers. Anyone else get a chance to see this yet?

Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:05 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: Dear White People (2014)
I want to see this movie! But it's not playing anywhere near me! :( . It did really well in limited release this weekend, so hopefully it'll expand within the next few weeks and possible reach a theater near me? :) Right now the closest theater it's playing at is about an hour and a half from me. And, as much as I want to see this film, I don't feel like driving an hour and a half to see it. =/

Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:16 pm
Director

I would have seen it last weekend were it not for the damn limited release (what's with that?). When it gets down here I will definitely see it. In fact, I might go see it with my (black) girlfriend and several of our friends. Looks like the kind of film Spike Lee would make in his early days.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:55 pm
Director

This movie should be expanding as soon as this Friday, so keep your eyes peeled.

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Looks like the kind of film Spike Lee would make in his early days.

Well, Spike is mentioned on numerous occasions, and one character is even studying filmmaking. At one point, she creates a hilarious silent film about all the anti-Obama slander and calls it "Rebirth of a Nation."

I hope this does well at the box office as it goes wider. We've seen a lot of race-relations themed movies recently (The Help, Django Unchained, The Butler, 42, 12 Years a Slave, etc.), but with the exception of FRUITVALE STATION, they've all looked through a historical lense. Much like my favorite film of 2013, I want to see more movies take a modern-day approach. It's a bolder way to go IMHO.

Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:13 pm