Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:01 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Oscar Thoughts and Rants Page 
Author Message
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6576
Location: Easton, MD
Post Oscar Thoughts and Rants Page
Now for when we get angry that other people don't have the same opinions that we do!

The Good:
Whiplash got a shitload of love compared to what I was predicting (Supporting Actor and Screenplay only)
Ethan Hawke picked up a well-deserved nod for Boyhood
Selma didn't get the love everyone was expecting that I didn't feel it deserved
Everything is Awesome got a Best Song nomination.

The Bad:
No Life Itself for Best Documentary
No Jake Gyllenhaal for Nightcrawler. Because our two British biopic men both needed nominating
No The Lego Movie for Best Animated Movie
Disappointing lack of appreciation for Gone Girl

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:51 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 2113
Post Re: Oscar Thoughts and Rants Page
No animation nom for Lego?!!! Actually, I don't really care. Still a badass movie anyway.

The Good
Snub for Interstellar/Nolan.
Snub for Gone Girl/Fincher.
Bradley Cooper for American Sniper.
Eddie Redmayne for Theory of Everything.
Felicity Jones, Theory of Everything.
Best Picture, Theory of Everything.
Hans Zimmer nom for Interstellar (actually one thing that is deserved, imo)

The Bad
Mainly, way too much love for Wes and Grand Budapest Hotel. He can be a great director, but unfortunately will never improve so long as his weakest films are given the highest praise. A real shame.
X-Men Dofp for best visual effects? :shock:

Other than that, whatever. Birdman and Boyhood and go ahead and clean it up. Don't feel much about it one way or the other.


Last edited by MGamesCook on Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:59 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 1236
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: Oscar Thoughts and Rants Page
NZers will be pissed Lorde didn't get a nod for "Yellow Flicker Beat". I thought the song was just ok, so not that annoyed.


Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:06 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6576
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Oscar Thoughts and Rants Page
MGamesCook wrote:
No animation nom for Lego?!!! Actually, I don't really care. Still a badass movie anyway.

The Good
Snub for Interstellar/Nolan.
Snub for Gone Girl/Fincher.
Bradley Cooper for American Sniper.
Eddie Redmayne for Theory of Everything.
Felicity Jones, Theory of Everything.
Best Picture, Theory of Everything.
Hans Zimmer nom for Interstellar (actually one thing that is deserved, imo)


I was so happy about this post until I saw that it was your "The Good"

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:51 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:51 pm
Posts: 415
Location: Durham, NC
Post Re: Oscar Thoughts and Rants Page
The Good

1. Rosamund Pike's nod for her performance in Gone Girl. There's a lot one could say about the performance, but it's perhaps the best showcase of psychological containment/coolness that I've seen in quite sometime.
2. Ida's well deserved cinematography nomination. For a film that's been largely overlooked this year, it's good to see it getting recognition on the awards front.
3. Original Screenplay nomination for Nightcrawler. Super happy to see this getting (writing) love. Nightcrawler not only functions as a ripe satire, it creates one of the most memorable characters of cinema from the past few years. Gyllenhall gives audiences a great performance, but what would it be without the keen and "socially" insightful words spewing from Bloom's mouth? The dialogue in Nightcrawler not only strengthens Gyllenhall's performance, it gives us a small window inside the mind of man who has taken the American Dream to the extreme; a man whose been warped by bad career advice. To me, that's the hallmark of a strong screenplay.
4. Best Picture nomination for Whiplash.

The Bad

1. Bennet Miller's directing nod for Foxcatcher. I've heard the argument (or excuse) that Miller's direction in Foxcatcher is relaxed and methodical. However, I couldn't shake the tiredness of this film as a whole and I certainly don't think that's a testament to its direction.
2. Gone Girl's snub for original score. I mean come on, have you listened to it?
3. Interstellar's nomination for score. Maybe the word "bad" is a bit unfair, but I really don't remember the score to be that memorable or notable. If anything I remember the sound to overly bombastic and perplexing.
4. Force Majeure's snub. This one really irritated me. Yes, Force Majeure has been getting an ample amount of praise, but that doesn't mean said praise isn't warranted. If there's a film that rivals the stark commentary of Gone Girl, while examining the culture of masculine expectations, its Force Majeure.
5. Cinematography snub for The Immigrant. I wasn't a huge champion of this film (although I quite liked it), but the film boasts some of the years best cinematography.Tis a shame it didn't get the attention it rightfully deserved.

_________________
"I have now come to claim that satisfaction."


Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:03 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 1236
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: Oscar Thoughts and Rants Page
JamesKunz wrote:
I was so happy about this post until I saw that it was your "The Good"

I assume you seriously mean that you think ALL of those are wrong and should be under "The Bad"? If so, I take it you're not a fan of The Theory of Everything (I have yet to see it) and love Nolan and Fincher (despite both movies being at best good)?


Last edited by nitrium on Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:22 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1388
Post Re: Oscar Thoughts and Rants Page
JamesKunz wrote:
Disappointing lack of appreciation for Gone Girl

Yeah, the Academy tends to not appreciate highly cynical films (see "Inside Llewyn Davis" and "The Ides of March" as well), usually only leaving giving them a token nod or two. :?


Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:27 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6576
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Oscar Thoughts and Rants Page
nitrium wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
I was so happy about this post until I saw that it was your "The Good"

I assume you seriously mean that you think ALL of those are wrong and should be under "The Bad"? If so, I take it you're not a fan of The Theory of Everything (I have yet to see it) and love Nolan and Fincher (despite both movies being at best good)?


I actually don't love Nolan at all. Hohohohoh no. The fights I've been in there about The Dark Knight being ridiculously overrated? I still bear the scars. But I liked Interstellar, I really liked Gone Girl, and I really disliked The Theory of Everything.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:01 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:49 am
Posts: 476
Post Re: Oscar Thoughts and Rants Page
JamesKunz wrote:
Whiplash got a shitload of love compared to what I was predicting (Supporting Actor and Screenplay only)


This, Collitiard, and Ida were really the only good semi-surprises, I think. I was rooting for Cooper but it's certainly not a shock.

JamesKunz wrote:
No Life Itself for Best Documentary


I'm hoping we get a good moment of someone acknowledging him (either in a speech or like how Bill Murray did for Albert Brooks last year). I know Hollywood hates critics and doc is the most corrupt category, but man that was too bad.

JamesKunz wrote:
No Jake Gyllenhaal for Nightcrawler. Because our two British biopic men both needed nominating


Exactly. Hogwash. And Reymane would win if not for the Keaton Komeback.

MGamesCook wrote:
The Good
Snub for Interstellar/Nolan.
Snub for Gone Girl/Fincher.
Bradley Cooper for American Sniper.
Eddie Redmayne for Theory of Everything.
Felicity Jones, Theory of Everything.
Best Picture, Theory of Everything.
Hans Zimmer nom for Interstellar (actually one thing that is deserved, imo)


I'm shocked you loved Theory of everything given how you were talking a few weeks ago about craving "subtle and elusive" stuff that doesn't wear its heart on its sleeve. I'm not trying to be all GOTCHA! here, I'm just genuinely surprised. It was Biopic: 101. Well acted, yes, but so what if it's in serve to that?

MGamesCook wrote:
The Bad
Mainly, way too much love for Wes and Grand Budapest Hotel. He can be a great director, but unfortunately will never improve so long as his weakest films are given the highest praise. A real shame.


Okay, I'm going to have to call bullshit on this. What evidence of any kind is there that Wes Anderson gives any sort of shit about awards? That's so childish and petty to claim that he's incapable of growing just because people like his movies. I'm all kinds of okay with you not liking him, and though the majority certainly loved Grand Budapest, you're certainly not alone in feeling it's a weak effort. But the awards thing is crazy-talk.

JackBurns wrote:
4. Force Majeure's snub. This one really irritated me. Yes, Force Majeure has been getting an ample amount of praise, but that doesn't mean said praise isn't warranted. If there's a film that rivals the stark commentary of Gone Girl, while examining the culture of masculine expectations, its Force Majeure.


I liked this a lot, and really, this might be the MOST surprising snub. I can't find a single forecaster who didn't have it locked in.


Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:01 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 2113
Post Re: Oscar Thoughts and Rants Page
Quote:
I'm shocked you loved Theory of everything given how you were talking a few weeks ago about craving "subtle and elusive" stuff that doesn't wear its heart on its sleeve. I'm not trying to be all GOTCHA! here, I'm just genuinely surprised. It was Biopic: 101. Well acted, yes, but so what if it's in serve to that?


I didn't love Theory of Everything. I just liked it well enough. Under Berardinelli's system, I'd give it 3 stars. Strong acting, cool cinematography. I only saw 5-6 movies last year that I thought were better.

Quote:
Okay, I'm going to have to call bullshit on this. What evidence of any kind is there that Wes Anderson gives any sort of shit about awards? That's so childish and petty to claim that he's incapable of growing just because people like his movies. I'm all kinds of okay with you not liking him, and though the majority certainly loved Grand Budapest, you're certainly not alone in feeling it's a weak effort. But the awards thing is crazy-talk.


I just didn't think Budapest was a strong work from him. In fact, I don't think it really works at all. Overstuffed, averse to seriousness, and compared to Darjeeling Limited and Royal Tenenbaums (both of which I like a lot), it just felt immature.

Not surprising to see Gone Girl's score snubbed. I liked Reznor/Ross's work on Social Network, for which they won. But the scores for the last two Fincher movies are completely indistinguishable from each other, just like the cinematography.


Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:29 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2356
Post Re: Oscar Thoughts and Rants Page
I'll have more to say when I see more of the nominated films but here's a few right now.

The Good:

Robert Duvall getting in for best supporting actor.

The best song category is pretty good. Glory from Selma is a powerful song. Love Everything is Awesome and the song from Begin Again is great too.

Happy for Laura Dern. She deserves it. Although I thought she was slightly better in The Fault in Our Stars. But I loved her in Wild as well.


The bad:

Interstellar not getting a cinematography nod. I wasn't expecting a best picture and director nod. The movie was too divisive/many were underwhelmed with the movie. But surely, I was hoping for a cinematography nomination. It deserved it. It's such a beautiful looking movie.

No Lego Movie for best animated feature.


Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:01 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 427
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: Oscar Thoughts and Rants Page
JamesKunz wrote:
I really disliked The Theory of Everything.
Ah come on, James! I wasn't enamored with the film myself (undeserved BP nomination in my book), and I completely agreed with JamesB's assessment that it was an unremarkable biopic about a truly remarkable man. However, that should take nothing away from Eddie Redmayne's truly extraordinary performance. I was riveted by his attention to detail in bringing to life one of the truly great individuals of the 20th century. Not only for his physical transformation, but also for the way he depicts the emotions in his face, through just his eyes towards the end of the film. Without a doubt, my favorite male performance of 2014, having not seen Birdman yet.

I've not seen many of the nominated/not-nominated films to make a comment either way, but I'm happy with the love The Grand Budapest Hotel is getting. I realize that Wes Anderson is an acquired taste, but thankfully I've acquired it, so there you go. I wasn't expecting Interstellar to get in, so not too disappointed with that. Like Pedro said somewhere else, Inception was Nolan's best shot at making waves with the academy, but it didn't happen. Also completely flabbergasted that The Lego Movie didn't even get a nomination.

I was also surprised by the Best Actress nomination for Felicity Jones. She's pretty good in the film, but I wouldn't have thought it was nomination-worthy. It shows you how much of a weak category Best Actress is this year. Also Meryl Streep got nominated again? Is she good in the film or did she again just sneak in on her name alone? I wonder if the Academy are going it just to keep the gag running.

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:20 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 2113
Post Re: Oscar Thoughts and Rants Page
Is it possible Lego was disqualified because of its live action scenes at the end? Though if I recall correctly, didn't Happy Feet get away with the same thing? Or perhaps disqualified because the Academy doesn't see Lego-motion as animation?

If not either of those things, then maybe Lego's satiric bite is simply beyond Academy voters. Or below them, whatever. If you take out the scenes with Will Ferrell and the kid, and make it 100% Lego jamboree, it's not far in tone or relentlessness from "Crank 2: Family Edition." I could see the Academy being dismissive of that :| .


Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:04 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:42 am
Posts: 357
Location: NJ
Post Re: Oscar Thoughts and Rants Page
The Good
-----------
Grand Budapest - A monster effort by Wes
Mark Ruffalo - weak movie, great role, excellent job
Intersteller - Best Production Design, even though I want Grand Budapest to sweep

The Bad
----------

Ralph Fiennes not getting a best acting nod, esp over...
Steve Carrell - BS of a movie and joke of a role.
John Goodman - no Best Supporting actor nod? Really now...


Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:19 am
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:10 pm
Posts: 161
Location: New York
Post Re: Oscar Thoughts and Rants Page
MGamesCook wrote:
Is it possible Lego was disqualified because of its live action scenes at the end? Though if I recall correctly, didn't Happy Feet get away with the same thing? Or perhaps disqualified because the Academy doesn't see Lego-motion as animation?

If not either of those things, then maybe Lego's satiric bite is simply beyond Academy voters. Or below them, whatever. If you take out the scenes with Will Ferrell and the kid, and make it 100% Lego jamboree, it's not far in tone or relentlessness from "Crank 2: Family Edition." I could see the Academy being dismissive of that :| .


I don't think so, an animated film has to be at least 75% animated to qualify, thus Happy Feet being able to win the Oscar. The Lego Movie was more than qualified, so I'm not sure what was going through the minds of the Academy voters, but oh well.


Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:20 am
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:21 pm
Posts: 517
Location: Milwaukee, WI (USA)
Post Re: Oscar Thoughts and Rants Page
Convictions wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
Is it possible Lego was disqualified because of its live action scenes at the end? Though if I recall correctly, didn't Happy Feet get away with the same thing? Or perhaps disqualified because the Academy doesn't see Lego-motion as animation?

If not either of those things, then maybe Lego's satiric bite is simply beyond Academy voters. Or below them, whatever. If you take out the scenes with Will Ferrell and the kid, and make it 100% Lego jamboree, it's not far in tone or relentlessness from "Crank 2: Family Edition." I could see the Academy being dismissive of that :| .


I don't think so, an animated film has to be at least 75% animated to qualify, thus Happy Feet being able to win the Oscar. The Lego Movie was more than qualified, so I'm not sure what was going through the minds of the Academy voters, but oh well.


Having not seen all of the nominees, but having REALLY liked The Lego Movie, the only thing I have going for me is proximity to explain that one. All of the animated film nominees were released in the Fall, save Dragon which was in June. The Lego Movie was released in February, and the first week thereof. Heck, it was out on DVD pretty much before all of the nominated films were even released. Perhaps there was a "freshness" problem. I don't wonder if it would have received a nod if it was released in October instead.


Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:41 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1838
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Oscar Thoughts and Rants Page
Just a few thoughts:

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Life Itself play on TV last year? That may have disqualified it; the Academy has some goofy rules regarding when and where a film plays.

And...it's obvious the voters don't like Nolan very much. While I don't think Interstellar was his best work, I am surprised it didn't get more love. After all, half of Hollywood worked on it, and Hollywood loves to pat itself on the back.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:10 am
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6576
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Oscar Thoughts and Rants Page
mrguinness wrote:
Mark Ruffalo - weak movie, great role, excellent job


Yeah I just realized, with the oddball pick of Robert Duvall aside, I love the Supporting Actor race:

Robert Duvall - The Judge
Ethan Hawke - Boyhood
Edward Norton - Birdman
Mark Ruffalo - Foxcatcher
J.K. Simmons - Whiplash

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:20 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:42 am
Posts: 357
Location: NJ
Post Re: Oscar Thoughts and Rants Page
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Life Itself play on TV last year? That may have disqualified it; the Academy has some goofy rules regarding when and where a film plays.



Life Itself played a few times on CNN for sure. Other than that I don't know.

Maybe The Lego Movie suffered because of the obvious branding? Seems silly it wasn't nom'd.


Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:23 am
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6576
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Oscar Thoughts and Rants Page
mrguinness wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Life Itself play on TV last year? That may have disqualified it; the Academy has some goofy rules regarding when and where a film plays.



Life Itself played a few times on CNN for sure. Other than that I don't know.

Maybe The Lego Movie suffered because of the obvious branding? Seems silly it wasn't nom'd.


No, Life Itself was on the academy shortlist

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:02 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: montparnasse and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr