Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:40 pm

Cast Away...what would you do? 
Gaffer

Post Cast Away...what would you do?
So I'm just finishing up a rewatch of Cast Away (first one is years).

If you had just spent 4+ years on an island by yourself surviving and you came home to the love of your life (whom the thought of helped you get home) married and a mommy...what would you do? Hellen Hunt's character runs outside and tells Chuck Nolan that he's the love of her life. I'm sorry, but I'm about to pick her up, have passionate sex with her, and make sure she divorces her husband and comes back to me.

I'm sorry about your life, dentist, but you never had anything as special as we did...

Kelly was the reason I survived and no matter what, I'm getting her back...I don/t care what anybody else thinks.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:40 am
Cinematographer

Post Re: Cast Away...what would you do?
Go on the celebrity circuit to tell my story, make a bunch of money, have fun with groupies (I actually wouldn't do this, but would really want to), ask FedEx for a transfer, and move on with my life.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:44 am
Assistant Director

CasualDad wrote:
Go on the celebrity circuit to tell my story, make a bunch of money, have fun with groupies (I actually wouldn't do this, but would really want to), ask FedEx for a transfer, and move on with my life.

Yep. Also a book and movie deal.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:42 pm
Assistant Director

I love the film. I think it's great, and that bit between Helen Hunt and Tom Hanks is probably my favorite part.

As for what to do, I don't know, it's a tough question. I think that both realized they had changed, so trying to hold on to past memories once she has moved on, and has a family would've been, well, not right. In a way, it's sort of a "we'll always have Paris" scenario. Which leaves Chuck at the metaphorical crossroad in the end, and yet he looks happy and eager to see where his life is headed.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:05 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

His mistake was sitting her in the car then walking around.

He should have climbed across her, it'd have been weird, but she'd have put it down to his years in isolation, and they'd still be together now :)

Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:54 am
Assistant Director

:D

I should clarify when I said that bit was probably my favorite part, but I meant the whole "meeting Helen Hunt again" scene, not just the kiss. The whole scene has such a sad awkwardness and a restrained emotion to it, that you just feel... ugh. And there are great moments like the one where she casually opens the fridge putting her family's pictures right on Chuck's face. But it is ultimately sold by the performances of both. Great scene all around.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:50 am
Profile WWW