Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:20 pm

40th anniversary of The Exorcist - December 26 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post 40th anniversary of The Exorcist - December 26
Hard to believe this film is now 40 years old. I usually watch it every Halloween. Any of you a fan of this horror classic? How has it held up for you after so long?

Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:04 am
Cinematographer

Post Re: 40th anniversary of The Exorcist - December 26
I own the blu ray which I saw when I bought it and still looked pretty scary to me after all these years. I have not watched it again since. So I have seen it twice (counting the time that I saw it in the Cinema)

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:24 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

I rewatched it in October, after probably 10 years without seeing it, and found it to be as effective as I remembered it to be. Easily on my Top 3 horror films.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:27 am
Profile WWW
Producer

I'm not one to find horror movies particularly scary, but The Exorcist does a terrific job of cultivating an uneasy and disturbing feeling, which I suppose is scary enough. It's wonderful to have a horror movie that takes its material seriously, doesn't rely on jump scares, and revolves around what is essentially a story about troubled characters. I'd count it among the best horror films I've seen. Fantastic performance by Jason Miller. And the unsung hero of the film is Dick Smith, who did the makeup effects. He's also the guy who did the effects in the final sequence in Taxi Driver. A real genius.

Well-substantiated legend has it that the film's iconic shot of Father Merrin standing at the bottom of the steps is a reference to this painting:

Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:42 pm
Auteur

Quite honestly this film never did much for me, it was way too long for it's own good and I didn't find it scary in the least, I found part 3 to be considerably better.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:51 pm
Producer

I can't say I agree that it's better than the first, but III is really good. Surprisingly good, actually. I think it might be the first George C. Scott movie I ever saw, at least as far as I can remember. He really pours on the George C. Scottness.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:55 pm
Cinematographer

On the other hand, I've never understood the cult fanbase that the third one has developed. I thought it was mediocre, despite some random flashes of creativity here and there. But to each his/her own.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:04 pm
Profile WWW
Director

I think The Exorcist is a pretty poorly made and outdated movie. Even so, possession films are my least favorite kind of horror film. I've known people in real life who believe they represent a realistic threat, but it's not something I've ever been able to understand.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:39 pm
Producer

Possession itself is pretty hokey, but having something horrible come over your child that you don't understand and have no control over is a very potent fear.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:29 am
Auteur

As far as Posession films go, i'd recommend the Italian horror film Beyond The Door and the Polish horror film Possessed(though be sure to go for the directors cut as it's 30 minutes longer and feels much more complete). I also really liked the Evil Dead remake.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:44 am
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:
I think The Exorcist is a pretty poorly made and outdated movie. Even so, possession films are my least favorite kind of horror film. I've known people in real life who believe they represent a realistic threat, but it's not something I've ever been able to understand.

Well, I don't think one has to believe in something for it to be an effective horror film driver. But still, I think the film manages to integrate that skepticism pretty well into its plot. Chris isn't a religious person, needless to say, she doesn't believe in possessions. Heck, even Karras tells her that she probably knows "as much about possession than most priests". I think it is precisely in that dismissal of the unknown, the uncertainty of what's happening, and like Ken said, the possibility of it coming over your child where the film puts its chips in.

For what it's worth, I wrote an article on The Exorcist about two months ago (also comparing it with Alien). You can check it out in my signature.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:22 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

This is one of those horror classics that has unfortunately never scared me. And I speak as someone who is quite easily scared. My parents used to tell stories about how they played it in one of the local theaters and had to clean the seats for vomit after every screening. But somehow I've never been scared while watching this. I may have to revisit this one again to see whether that has changed.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:34 am
Profile WWW