Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:10 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The Wolf of Wall Street 
Second Unit Director

Post The Wolf of Wall Street
Guys, James just tweeted this.

"The last year when I awarded 4 stars to more than two films was 2003. Hmm..."

The Wolf of Wall Street is getting 4 stars. I'm super excited.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:16 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Post Re: The Wolf of Wall Street
Although I badly want this to happen, reviews coming from elsewhere haven't given me confidence. Are there any other choices? What about Her? That seems to be getting raves everywhere else, or could James have not seen it yet.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

I'm assuming that it's Wolf because he tweeted about it earlier today.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Steven wrote:
I'm assuming that it's Wolf because he tweeted about it earlier today.

Ok. I just read that tweet and some subsequent tweets. From reading them, I am hoping this is Leo's year, more than anything else. That man has been screwed by the Academy more than most actors I can think of. And yeah, I think you're right in that it could be Scorsese's latest. Thank God WoWS is coming here on Dec 25th. Hugo didn't make it until late March, much later than the Oscars.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:27 pm
Profile WWW
Director

HER is a possibility; after talking with him via email about a week ago, he said he's already seen it and has it in his Top 10. But if that's the four-star movie we're talking about, he would've tweeted about it before now.

So yeah, it's WOLF OF WALL STREET.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:31 pm
Second Unit Director

This just makes me all the more upset that I might not be able to see it until DVD.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
Although I badly want this to happen, reviews coming from elsewhere haven't given me confidence. Are there any other choices? What about Her? That seems to be getting raves everywhere else, or could James have not seen it yet.

Reviews coming from elsewhere? Where? It's rocking a 90% on tomatoes right now.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:09 pm
Second Unit Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:

Well, it was at 79 on Metacritic with both Her and American Hustle being above it by some margin. That's why I thought this wouldn't be as well-reviewed. Not that I personally care though.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:29 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

Well, it was at 79 on Metacritic with both Her and American Hustle being above it by some margin. That's why I thought this wouldn't be as well-reviewed. Not that I personally care though.

There must have been some super-early screenings somewhere. Most of the critics I follow (JB, Roeper, Dustin Putman, Travis Hopson of punchdrunkcritics.com, etc.) don't have their reviews up yet, so that score could increase by quite a bit.

Obviously, Roeper is going to give it an A+. He's been generous with that rating lately.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:49 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Oh it's for sure gonna be The Wolf of Wall Street; I mean look at how rapturously James was gushing over DiCaprio and his performance and plus he tweeted several other times about the film so yep, Scorsese has "Wolfed" another 4-star rating from James! :D

Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:40 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Stephanie Zacharek gave the film a negative review. In the great tradition of modern sophistication, she has been told in her comments section to hang herself in her closet.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:41 am
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
Stephanie Zacharek gave the film a negative review. In the great tradition of modern sophistication, she has been told in her comments section to hang herself in her closet.

Yeah, how dare a critic not kiss Sorcese's ass. :roll:

Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:44 am
Producer

MGamesCook wrote:

Considering the depths that Internet trolls are capable of sinking to, especially when their target is a woman, she got off pretty light.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:53 am
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:

She probably didn't understand the movie. Scorsese made this film as a tribute to bros. Making millions, partying everyday, alwAys having babes around...these are #tfm moves that a woman just couldn't understand.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:49 pm
Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

She probably didn't understand the movie. Scorsese made this film as a tribute to bros. Making millions, partying everyday, alwAys having babes around...these are #tfm moves that a woman just couldn't understand.

I have a feeling that's not the point of the film. Scorsese's work generally has more of a moral conscience than that.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:50 pm
Second Unit Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

I have a feeling that's not the point of the film. Scorsese's work generally has more of a moral conscience than that.

Yeah, this definitely isn't a "tribute to bros." And to insinuate that a woman wouldn't be able to understand a movie is kind of insulting.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:52 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

That's a pretty misogynist and sexist thing to say :roll: i'm sure she understood the film just fine.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:55 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
That's a pretty misogynist and sexist thing to say :roll: i'm sure she understood the film just fine.

Probably not. I mean I didn't "get" Mona Lisa Smile because I'm not a babe (although it worked its wonders on my lady friend at the time). She just probably didn't understand how awesome the life and times of Jordan Belfort were: #BAUCE.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:17 pm
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Probably not. I mean I didn't "get" Mona Lisa Smile because I'm not a babe (although it worked its wonders on my lady friend at the time). She just probably didn't understand how awesome the life and times of Jordan Belfort were: #BAUCE.

OK I have no clue what you're saying now, just cause a person dosen't like a Scorcese film dosen't automatically mean they don't "understand" it.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:02 pm
Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I don't see anything great or enviable about belfort's life and times. If I had that kind of money I can assure you I would spend it a little differently. He's a sociopath who got off way too easy.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:12 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next