Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:54 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Movie "Extras" 
Author Message
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:38 pm
Posts: 250
Post Movie "Extras"
There are many things out there that I can see why movie goers going for that I don't go for but I can see why they would. Then there are things that movie studios offer up that I just don't get. For example, bluray dvd combo packs of the same film. What exactly is the point? How often am I as an owner of a bluray player going to need a copy of a movie I own on dvd? Sure there maybe a small number of times this comes up... The bluray player breaks or a teacher might want to show a copy to a class in a room that has no blu ray player, just dvd. But it seems like it would be an exceedingly small number of times that this would be necessary. And why did dvd/vhs combo packs never catch on hmm?

Although the really weird thing is when blurays have ads for how awesome blurays are. I already own the product you're selling and if I didn't I wouldn't be able to watch the ad!

Then there's this thing where movie companies make rental versions of movies without any extras on them. Nothing wrong with this, but I feel weirded out by the idea that movie companies apparently think enough people will want the extras that they can increase sales by making the extras exclusive. Maybe its just me, but have extras ever been a major reason anyone here has used to justify a purchase of a movie? Or rather does the movie going public care about them that "extras" are in fact a major selling point?

Then there's ads for bluray that talk about being able to video chat with others or something while watching the movie. This one really strikes me as odd, because if I really wanted to, I'd just video chat with my friends on my laptop.

In any case, do you get the feeling that a lot of gimmicks that movie companies are coming up with to sell movies are pretty much vapid wastes of time and energy? Or am I so out of it that I don't get what's hip anymore?

Nothing to see here folks but an old recently turned 30 years old fart. Get off my farmville lawn.

_________________
My Blog: Queering the Closet


Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:09 am
Profile WWW
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3373
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Movie "Extras"
The only extras I really care about are the deleted scenes, other then that I couldn't care less about the special features.

Another pointless feature is how some DVDs come with digital copies of the film, if I already have the movie on DVD then what the hell do I need a digital copy of it for?


Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:34 am
Profile
Online
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:29 am
Posts: 277
Location: Watertown, SD
Post Re: Movie "Extras"
Vexer wrote:
The only extras I really care about are the deleted scenes, other then that I couldn't care less about the special features.

Another pointless feature is how some DVDs come with digital copies of the film, if I already have the movie on DVD then what the hell do I need a digital copy of it for?


I'm not entirely sure if it's 100% legal, but I generally give the digital copy to a fellow film lover.

_________________
https://twitter.com/Steven_Renner23


Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:03 am
Profile WWW
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1605
Post Re: Movie "Extras"
Steven wrote:
Vexer wrote:
The only extras I really care about are the deleted scenes, other then that I couldn't care less about the special features.

Another pointless feature is how some DVDs come with digital copies of the film, if I already have the movie on DVD then what the hell do I need a digital copy of it for?


I'm not entirely sure if it's 100% legal, but I generally give the digital copy to a fellow film lover.


Me too. I've already given several of my old bond DVDs to friends. The only special features that have ever interested me are commentaries, but even then most directors seem to run out of interesting things to say fairly quickly. One of the more interesting ones (though I didn't listen to all of it) was from Michael bay on transformers 1. I enjoy his recent work, but man kind of a dick. I've never heard any director shit-talk his own crew except in that commentary. My favorite commentary ever is for pawn shop.


Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:27 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Movie "Extras"
Commentaries also depend heavily on the kind of personality the person has. Scorsese never runs out of things to say. Friedkin's commentaries are dreadful. His track on The Exorcist goes well for about 30 seconds before he starts describing the things that are happening on the screen.

My favorite commentaries are Richard Donner and Tom Mankiewicz on Superman, Paul Schrader on Taxi Driver, and Nicholas Meyer on Star Trek: Wrath of Khan. They're good storytellers and they're engaging speakers. You get a sense of the love they have for what they do, but you also get a sense of them as practical craftsmen.

An honorable mention goes to the Fight Club commentary with David Fincher, Edward Norton, Brad Pitt, and Helena Bonham Carter, which rapidly deteriorates into Norton and Pitt basically riffing the movie and the filmmaking process. It's pretty funny.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:16 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3373
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Movie "Extras"
Commentaries just bore me, I lose interest in about 2 minutes before giving up.


Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:29 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Movie "Extras"
I disagree with your disagreement.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:32 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 413
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: Movie "Extras"
Ken wrote:
Commentaries also depend heavily on the kind of personality the person has.

This is completely true. It is the reason why I haven't completed the commentaries on both The Social Network and Argo. Both brilliant films, but the commentaries were dry and simply narrated the filmmaking process without any charisma. Fincher, Affleck and Terrio sounded like they'd rather be doing something else. Also completely agree on Scorsese. He just keeps on talking and talking.

For me, Extras are just that, extras. Unless they charge me anything for a Special Edition where I have to pay for the cost of the additional materials, I don't think I am obliged to receive worthwhile additional material. I am paying for the film. Anything else is added bonus.

That being said, the best set of extras I've ever received for films where for Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. Wright and Pegg translate their on-screen brilliance to additional material as well. Their commentaries are an absolute delight to sit through because they share so much chemistry, offer so much insight into the filmmaking process, provide so much additional information, and make it all so delightfully funny. It was such an information overload that the price I paid for them felt like a steal. The Pegg/Frost commentary was equally entertaining and hilarious, and the BR had additional commentaries I've not listened to yet. For Shaun of the Dead, Wright and Pegg also demonstrate their original storyboarding material which they did on huge white sheets. It is a great insight into the minds of these two brilliant comedic individuals, and how they went about coming up with a wonder script.

For my money, if filmmakers are going to add extras, this is the kind I would want. I want to learn something about how their mind works, how they can come up with such scripts, how they directed a particular scene etc. In essence, something that adds value to the film the next time I watch it, not to mention adds value to me as a film buff.

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:01 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:38 pm
Posts: 250
Post Re: Movie "Extras"
I guess I didn't make myself clear enough. I was wondering if anybody actually made purchasing decisions based on extras. Someone in the movie business decided that it was worth the money and effort to make a rental version of a movie that had no extras. The only reason this would be worth the effort is if they think people will make the decision to purchase hard copies over renting the frills free version.

Let me say I do not think there is anything "wrong" with this. They have every right to decide what they're going to put on a hard copy rental or not in an effort to increase sales. What I'm curious about is if they're right or not about what actual movie audiences want and are willing to pay for.

That is would people pay hard cash for a blu-ray/dvd over an inexpensive rental under some circumstances, if the blu-ray/dvd had those nice "extras" and the rental did not? If yes, what would those circumstances be?

Also, I am really curious about the blu-ray/dvd combos, has anyone here ever had a need for having both dvd and blu-ray? I can see digital copies, in case people want to watch it on mobile devices/laptops on the go, and it only adds as much cost as the people who actually decide to download it, rather than foisting extra copies of movies on those who might not want such things.
-Jeremy

_________________
My Blog: Queering the Closet


Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:33 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3373
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Movie "Extras"
No, i've never purchased a DVD based on the extras, though I have rented some that way, if there's two DVD versions of a film and one has deleted scenes and the other dosen't, i'll rent the former from my library.


Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:01 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Movie "Extras"
thered47 wrote:
I guess I didn't make myself clear enough. I was wondering if anybody actually made purchasing decisions based on extras. Someone in the movie business decided that it was worth the money and effort to make a rental version of a movie that had no extras. The only reason this would be worth the effort is if they think people will make the decision to purchase hard copies over renting the frills free version.

For the most part, the existence of a no-frills version is a non-issue to me. Say the extras version is available only for purchase and the no-frills version is only available for rent. If I'm buying it, it's because I was going to buy it anyway. If I rent it, I probably wasn't going to buy it. Next, say that both versions are available for purchase at different price points. Again, assuming that the extras version isn't prohibitively expensive, I'll buy that one as long as I was going to buy the movie anyway. I guess if the extras version is prohibitively expensive, I might opt for the lower-priced one, but I can't think of any examples of when this has happened.

Note: this is not the same in the case of theatrical cuts/director's cuts/extended cuts/whatever, in which case, I'm more selective based on what the movie is.

I did re-buy Taxi Driver when they released a version that upgraded the amount of extra material, but that's a special case.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:31 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1667
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Movie "Extras"
Commentaries can be good if the person is right, like Ken says. Roger Ebert's commentary on Citizen Kane is outstanding. Martin Scorsese's commentaries are excellent; he describes his technique, his influences, he goes into film theory and draws on well-known films and little-known films. Scorsese's knowledge of film is unreal, and that's what makes him so interesting to listen to.

I would love to hear Quentin Tarantino do a commentary. That would really be interesting to listen to.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:41 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:41 pm
Posts: 639
Location: The Desert
Post Re: Movie "Extras"
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
I would love to hear Quentin Tarantino do a commentary. That would really be interesting to listen to.


He sits in with Edgar Wright on one of the Hot Fuzz commentaries, and I think he's on one for an episode of Spaced. They're fun tracks, with the two of them just riffing on old films and influences the whole time.

Balaji is right; those Wright films are loaded with great extras.

I'd also point to Terry Gilliam's commentary track on Brazil as worthwhile listening. And more academic tracks, like the ones typically found on Criterion releases, are usually quite valuable too.

_________________
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Letterboxd Profile


Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 413
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: Movie "Extras"
Ken wrote:
For the most part, the existence of a no-frills version is a non-issue to me. Say the extras version is available only for purchase and the no-frills version is only available for rent. If I'm buying it, it's because I was going to buy it anyway. If I rent it, I probably wasn't going to buy it. Next, say that both versions are available for purchase at different price points. Again, assuming that the extras version isn't prohibitively expensive, I'll buy that one as long as I was going to buy the movie anyway. I guess if the extras version is prohibitively expensive, I might opt for the lower-priced one, but I can't think of any examples of when this has happened.

We don't have Rentals here, so that is a non-issue. The choice for me has always been between the Special Edition or whatever and the ordinary edition. I usually make my decision based on whether I deem the extras worth the asking price and whether the extras themselves have good reviews over at a place like Blu-Ray.

I actively seek out DVD/BR with loads of extras. I figure if I am going to fork out a sum of money for them, I might as well pay whatever extra there is to get all the additional bonus material, so long as the price is not exorbitant, as Ken points out. Recent purchases include the aforementioned Wright titles, Raging Bull: 30th Anniversary Edition, Skyfall: Steelbook Edition (have not hit up the commentary yet but it is supposed to be pretty good), all of which I bought solely because I felt the extras were worth the additional price I paid for it.

The only BR/DVD combo I've bought so far was Argo, and the only reason I bought it was that the extras were not available in the standard BR set. That felt totally wrong to me, but since I got it as a birthday present from my mom, I didn't care much. :) The only film I've ever re-bought on BR is, not surprisingly, Schindler's List. But there aren't too many worthy extras in that one; there's not even a commentary track which is a a bummer, but as I read somewhere, it was a conscious decision by Spielberg.

I agree with the rest of you guys in that I would love to hear Tarantino do a commentary. (I've not yet heard the one in Hot Fuzz.) But IIRC, he said in an interview that he is never going to do it. Bummer!

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:30 am
Profile WWW
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Movie "Extras"
Tarantino is otherwise quite the chatterbox. You could probably construct your own custom commentaries of his movies using his interviews as source audio.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:54 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1667
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Movie "Extras"
A few other great commentaries:

Bruce Campbell on The Evil Dead. He gives great information about how the film was made, and also cracks a lot of jokes. It's good.

Trey Parker, Matt Stone and others on Cannibal! The Musical. They drink the whole time, and the commentary goes from being serious to outright goofy. They start picking on all of the film's flaws and joking about it, and by the end they're completely sloshed. They announce to the listener they're going to go hit up a titty bar, and the last thing you hear on the track is everyone shouting "Titty bar! Titty bar!"

Any commentary featuring Lloyd Kaufman. Lloyd will give some anecdotes about the film, tell jokes about his penis, discuss independent filmmaking and bounce from serious to off the wall at a moment's notice. They're usually very funny.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:47 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1349
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Movie "Extras"
Jotting down recommendations. I tried to watch commentaries with a few of my favorite films in the past, but I always switched back to real audio a short way through, feeling that I would rather enjoy the movies themselves instead. It seems I haven't turned audio commentaries on the right ones.


Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:01 am
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:21 pm
Posts: 568
Location: Milwaukee, WI (USA)
Post Re: Movie "Extras"
thered47 wrote:
There are many things out there that I can see why movie goers going for that I don't go for but I can see why they would. Then there are things that movie studios offer up that I just don't get. For example, bluray dvd combo packs of the same film. What exactly is the point? How often am I as an owner of a bluray player going to need a copy of a movie I own on dvd? Sure there maybe a small number of times this comes up... The bluray player breaks or a teacher might want to show a copy to a class in a room that has no blu ray player, just dvd. But it seems like it would be an exceedingly small number of times that this would be necessary.


I seek out Blu-Ray/DVD combo packs for 2 reasons that are related to your examples above. One: I have an older Blu-Ray player and occasionally I get a BR disc that it won't play, so have an option of still playing the movie off of DVD. (I'd get a new BR player, but they no longer come with component outputs and my Hi Def big screen does not have HDMI and only one DVI port currently in use. Yes....Johnny needs to upgrade his gear, but he has higher priority items right now.) And two: for kids movies, I can run the BR disc in the house and the DVD copy in the mini-van and SUV. That's a nice option for road trips. (I would not, however, use this as a reason to buy the combo pack of, say, "Caligula".)


Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:33 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:26 am
Posts: 227
Post Re: Movie "Extras"
If it's a favorite movie, I'll seek out everything I can on it and when I shop/buy, I'll look for extras -especially if there is no cost added for this content. I'm a regular in a couple Pawn Shops in my town (only pawned one item, ever) and when I browse the movies I'll look for extras if I'm buying a movie they have multiples of.

One of the coolest ones was Pee-Wee's Big Adventure with a Paul Ruebens, Tim Burton commentary and a second commentary with Danny Elfman. In some ways it was like watching an audition reel of American Idol before they were huge. I do like westerns and many how'd-they-do-that?- extras I've really enjoyed as well.

_________________
______________________________
Specializing in rodent behavior modification.
-Watch me pull a habit out of rat.


Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:31 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Movie "Extras"
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Trey Parker, Matt Stone and others on Cannibal! The Musical. They drink the whole time, and the commentary goes from being serious to outright goofy. They start picking on all of the film's flaws and joking about it, and by the end they're completely sloshed. They announce to the listener they're going to go hit up a titty bar, and the last thing you hear on the track is everyone shouting "Titty bar! Titty bar!"

The last thing you hear on the Monty Python and the Holy Grail is Eric Idle saying "I've got soggy thighs. It must be dinner time." That's a great one.

The Spinal Tap commentary, with the full cast riffing the movie in-character, is great too. It's practically its own movie.

Johnny Larue wrote:
And two: for kids movies, I can run the BR disc in the house and the DVD copy in the mini-van and SUV. That's a nice option for road trips. (I would not, however, use this as a reason to buy the combo pack of, say, "Caligula".)

Sometimes you can see other people's movie screen when you're on the road. Awesome reason to play Caligula.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:05 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Steven and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr