Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:51 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Nymphomaniac 
Author Message
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2725
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Nymphomaniac
Is anyone planning to see this? What are their thoughts?

And that girl who plays the nympho as a young lass is pretty hot.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:50 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Nymphomaniac
Lars isn't my cup of tea, though I admire him for making films that are essentially transgressive art. I'm just not sure he's more than a step or two above the Pisschrist or Dada.

If you're wondering what is my cup of tea...

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:09 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2725
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Nymphomaniac
I'm an 8 cup a day man myself.

I view Von Trier as a kind of sophisticated troll. It wouldn't surprise me if one day he confessed he was just trying to flog arty stuff back to the industry as some kind of perverse reflection ... or something

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:11 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2725
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Nymphomaniac
Saw another trailer for this today - hellfire!

It's impossible for me not to imagine Von Trier laughing smugly behind the cameras of every film he's made. I'm not 100% sure what his MO is, but it looks like a giant "fuck you" style attack on the values of the not only the characters in his films, but the industry and the audiences too.

Dogville taught us community is basically tyranny.

Anthichrist - well where to start? Guilt, marriage, parenthood. Melancholia is a pretty effective satire on bourgeoisie misery and decadence to be fair. And now this, Nymphomaniac, the film he was bound to make, as if cosmic forces were directing him so.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:07 am
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:07 pm
Posts: 373
Post Re: Nymphomaniac
One of my bros bet me 100 that i can't jack it from this movie....I like money so I'mma gonna try.


Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:11 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2725
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Nymphomaniac
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
One of my bros bet me 100 that i can't jack it from this movie....I like money so I'mma gonna try.


Try? A guy in his early 20s should be able to jack-off to Margaret Thatcher, if necessary.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:26 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1453
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Nymphomaniac
Only seen Dancer in the Dark from him. It's great but depressed me so much I went to sleep right after.

I was curious about Antichrist, but then someone described a few key scenes to me and I knew that I would be too skittish (is that the right word?) to handle it.


Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:41 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 2025
Post Re: Nymphomaniac
peng wrote:
Only seen Dancer in the Dark from him. It's great but depressed me so much I went to sleep right after.

I was curious about Antichrist, but then someone described a few key scenes to me and I knew that I would be too skittish (is that the right word?) to handle it.


I avoided Antichrist for the same reason. What's with all the porn-ish movies coming out? For me, even dragon tattoo (fincher) version was pushing it and it sounds like wolf of wall street will really push it. I guess the hardcore stuff in blue warmest color and nympho hasn't made it to Hollywood yet but I wonder where a line should be drawn. A good story and good acting don't stop something from being porn. It just makes it really good porn.


Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:59 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Nymphomaniac
Porn, purely in and of itself, is just a form. There is no inherently positive or negative value to it. Most porn is made with fairly abysmal standards in most respects, hence the genre's reputation. But if you want to get theoretical about it, there is nothing backhanded or diminishing about the descriptor "good porn".

That said, the chief goal of porn is to turn the viewer on. By that reckoning, a movie isn't necessarily porn just because it has explicit sex, and a movie could still be described as porn even if it doesn't have explicit sex.

tl;dr version: Let's assume you're right and it is porn. What's your point?

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:36 am
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:07 pm
Posts: 373
Post Re: Nymphomaniac
Ken wrote:
There is no inherently positive or negative value to it. Most porn is made with fairly abysmal standards in most respects, hence the genre's reputation. But if you want to get theoretical about it, there is nothing backhanded or diminishing about the descriptor "good porn".


I agree. I want my porn to be fucking tits. She better take it in her ass and suck it down like a good girl.


Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:02 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1805
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Nymphomaniac
NotHughGrant wrote:

Try? A guy in his early 20s should be able to jack-off to Margaret Thatcher, if necessary.


That's not an image that I really wanted in my mind.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:57 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2725
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Nymphomaniac
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

Try? A guy in his early 20s should be able to jack-off to Margaret Thatcher, if necessary.


That's not an image that I really wanted in my mind.


NotHugh always goes that extra mile

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:32 am
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6499
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Nymphomaniac
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Ken wrote:
There is no inherently positive or negative value to it. Most porn is made with fairly abysmal standards in most respects, hence the genre's reputation. But if you want to get theoretical about it, there is nothing backhanded or diminishing about the descriptor "good porn".


I agree. I want my porn to be fucking tits. She better take it in her ass and suck it down like a good girl.


I'd prefer if we didn't talk like this here.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:46 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 2025
Post Re: Nymphomaniac
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Ken wrote:
There is no inherently positive or negative value to it. Most porn is made with fairly abysmal standards in most respects, hence the genre's reputation. But if you want to get theoretical about it, there is nothing backhanded or diminishing about the descriptor "good porn".


I agree. I want my porn to be fucking tits. She better take it in her ass and suck it down like a good girl.


Lol

Anyway, the porn thing is just one example of filmmakers gravitating toward extremes. My point is that whatever the intentions may be, its tendencies are becoming too voyeuristic I think. Crank 2 avoids that because of stylization, but the voyeurism thing I guess is a little different from porn and perhaps more troubling.

I just wonder where a line is drawn. 70s movies provoked controversy but they all look tame compared to what we have now. That's probably what 70s viewers were saying about the 50s and 60s, but that pattern can't continue forever.


Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:37 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Nymphomaniac
The '60s and '70s were definitely a time of nuking taboos, but what they ended up doing was shifting things so that the taboos imposed upon movies are now determined by marketability concerns rather than by a sense of social responsibility on the part of the studios. If financiers believe it can be sold to middle America, it can go in the movie. This includes stuff that used to only get in by pure force of artistic will.

Anyway, movies are inherently voyeuristic. Regardless of what's happening on the screen, you're looking directly upon the emotional lives of total strangers, boldly and without shame.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:50 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1197
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: Nymphomaniac
Purely speculating here, but my guess is that Nymphomaniac probably isn't intended to work as porn. Since we're dealing with a sex addict, they probably made every attempt to de-eroticize the nudity. Shame and Requiem for a Dream did this too.

Blue is the Warmest Color is another matter entirely because all of the sex in that movie occurs during the early stages of a relationship. Therefore, it makes sense to film it in a "hot and heavy" manner, if you catch my drift.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:26 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2725
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Nymphomaniac
All the reviews I've read of Nympho so far comment on how unsexy it is.

But this isn't because Von Trier is trying to be scale anything back. You can bet you balls it's just another angle to shock. I.E to desensitise the audience to even the most relatively extreme sexual activity (for example the charming moment Stacy Martin seemingly spits out a man's load).

Whatever happens on screen in this, and however it is shot, you can bet the material is intended to be as puerile as possible in terms of what the end result is.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:42 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2725
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Nymphomaniac
MGamesCook wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Ken wrote:
There is no inherently positive or negative value to it. Most porn is made with fairly abysmal standards in most respects, hence the genre's reputation. But if you want to get theoretical about it, there is nothing backhanded or diminishing about the descriptor "good porn".


I agree. I want my porn to be fucking tits. She better take it in her ass and suck it down like a good girl.


Lol

Anyway, the porn thing is just one example of filmmakers gravitating toward extremes. My point is that whatever the intentions may be, its tendencies are becoming too voyeuristic I think. Crank 2 avoids that because of stylization, but the voyeurism thing I guess is a little different from porn and perhaps more troubling.

I just wonder where a line is drawn. 70s movies provoked controversy but they all look tame compared to what we have now. That's probably what 70s viewers were saying about the 50s and 60s, but that pattern can't continue forever.


Interesting you mention Crank. An overlap between Neveldine/Taylor and Von Trier occurred to me. The difference being that the former are all like "look how fucked up this is, and laugh with us"; whilst the latter is "fuck you audience, I'm mocking your world".

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:47 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1453
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Nymphomaniac
I didn't realize that some have already seen it, and, after checking, that it has received all positive reviews so far! That fact is more shocking than the movie's promotional material :) .


Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:58 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2725
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Nymphomaniac
peng wrote:
I didn't realize that some have already seen it, and, after checking, that it has received all positive reviews so far! That fact is more shocking than the movie's promotional material :) .


Von Trier usually does score broadly positively on the not-at-all reductive aggrometer sites.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:35 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr