Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:30 pm

10th anniversary of LOTR: Return of the King - December 17th 
Second Unit Director

Post 10th anniversary of LOTR: Return of the King - December 17th
Any fans here of the movie Lord of the Rings: Return of the King?

How do you think it has held up after 10 years?

Feels like a good time to look back on this movie with the second Hobbit film out and with this 10th anniversary.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:35 am
Producer

Post Re: 10th anniversary of LOTR: Return of the King - December 17th
I'll tell you how it makes me feel ... old!

Movies have the power to do this. I actually took my younger Sister to the see Fellowship in 2001, I was 19 and she was 11. Now I'm almost 32 and she 23.

Films somehow seem to speed the passage of time.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:39 am
Producer

Not an enormous fan of the LotR films, though I do like them. Return of the King is definitely the best of the three. The first one is good, but it has a lot of moments where the melodrama ratchets up and it gets unintentionally funny, as if Jackson was grasping empty-handed for a grounded emotional effect amid all the fantasy. The second is somewhat shapeless, and while a lot of viewers hold up the Helm's Deep sequence as one of the ways in which the adaptation improves upon the book, in retrospect it's overlong and occasionally kind of silly. The third film learns its lessons from both, and, despite being the longest (and despite the derided multiple endings), it feels like a leaner, sturdier movie.

I still haven't seen the Hobbitses, but it sounds like Jackson unlearned those lessons.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:40 am
Producer

I too always considered the final to be the best. Although it took a lot of shit for the 45 minute slow death at the end.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:44 am
Auteur

My mom and sister are both big LOTR fans, me not so much. They're way too long for my tastes and the battle scenes just bore me.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:16 am
Producer

The scale of some of the conflicts descends into meaninglessness.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:21 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
My mom and sister are both big LOTR fans, me not so much. They're way too long for my tastes and the battle scenes just bore me.

Yeah mostly too long and too much...whatever the fantasy equivalent is of techno-babble? For all the talk of Battle scenes there also really isn't a huge action quotient in this series. When the action does come its brief, sporadic, often intercut with other scenes and never really raises the pulse for me. Not much adrenaline. The final solution to the Minas tirith battle is as silly as any resolution in transformers. Still, return of the king does have a fun rhythm at times. I feel some nostalgia for it.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:27 am
Second Unit Director

Really liked the whole trilogy. However, for ROTK, really did not care for Denethor's final act (the Richard Pryor dash into oblivion) compared to the depiction in the book. That was needlessly silly. In the extended cut, I also did not care for the special effect used for "The Mouth of Sauron"; I can see why it was cut from the theatrical release. I found the same character more believable and menacing in the Rankin and Bass cartoon version of 30+ years ago.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:18 am
Second Unit Director

ROTK is my favorite of the three and definitely a 4-star film for me.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:59 am
Profile WWW
Director

A casual fan of the LOTR series. Like em enough that when I saw them on sale for $5.00 each I grabbed em. But I'm not a fanatic. Agreed that ROTK is definitely the best of the series. Unlike the original Star Wars or The Godfather.

NotHughGrant wrote:
I'll tell you how it makes me feel ... old!

Movies have the power to do this. I actually took my younger Sister to the see Fellowship in 2001, I was 19 and she was 11. Now I'm almost 32 and she 23.

Films somehow seem to speed the passage of time.

Indeed. 2 years ago I was talking with a friend and observed that it was hard to believe we were a decade away from Shrek. He response: "It's been THAT long". Conversely while the LOTR films still hold up, Shrek hasn't aged that well. A lot of the pop culture references in it are dated, the approach it takes, while new then, has been done to death in the 12 years since and it's a lot more dated than say Monsters Inc. It's not a case of wine turning into vinegar as it still can be enjoyed. But people new to it are apt to wonder what all the fuss was.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:31 am
Producer

Shrek's legacy has also been trashed by its blatantly-lacking-in-ideas sequels.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:04 pm
Director

I was a sophomore at Towson at the time my buddies and I saw this movie at midnight. Ah, memories.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:51 pm
Director

I like the second film the best. My only real complaint with it was that Frodo and Sam made it too easily from the orc tower to Mt. Doom. That trip was desperate in the book.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:44 pm
Second Unit Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
I like the second film the best. My only real complaint with it was that Frodo and Sam made it too easily from the orc tower to Mt. Doom. That trip was desperate in the book.

This is a great point, and one of my big complaints with the third film as well. However, I cannot imagine of anyway the sheer struggle of that trip could've been captured on-screen without either extending the running time even further or being really boring. My other complaint is that the film undervalues Gandalf's role in the assault on the Black Gates of Mordor and in general in bringing the downfall of Sauron. For example, in the book Aragorn suggests that Gandalf's advice should no longer be disregarded, whereas the film presents the idea as if it were coming from Aragorn himself. This complaint was apparently fixed in the extended edition which I haven't gotten to watching yet.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

The "book was better" discussion always give me amusement. How many hours to watch the movie vs reading the story? -There'a always going to be some editing/economy and with a story that was a heavy 3 hours in length they had already trimmed a much longer read into something that most could happily do in a single sitting.

I went to see LotR Fellowship in the late-release bargain cinema -only after the movie had 13 academy award nominations and the ringing endorsement of a good-movie-bud. Prior to my viewing I had no interest in fantasy films. I was awed and was ready to see the second one a few weeks after it came out. By the time the RotK was released, I was prepped for opening weekend. This series was amazing on the big screen and I can't recommend it any other way. I bought all the DVD's, but have never watched them. I probably won't until I have access to a MUCH larger screen as I fear the magic will be lost on a little one.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:59 pm
Second Unit Director

Awf Hand wrote:
The "book was better" discussion always give me amusement. How many hours to watch the movie vs reading the story? -There'a always going to be some editing/economy and with a story that was a heavy 3 hours in length they had already trimmed a much longer read into something that most could happily do in a single sitting.
I don't mind cutting out details. For example, I cannot think of any way the long and arduous trek from the Orc Tower to Doom could've been capture on-screen. I definitely understand that judicial use of time is necessary in a film as opposed to a book. However, what I don't agree with is putting in details but changing them so as to not reflect the original author's intent. To use my issue with the film above, having Aragorn say that we shouldn't ignore Gandalf's advice any longer isn't going to take up more or less running time than having Aragorn say it himself. That's my primary issue in adaptations, always has been and always will be.

To digress a bit and use a Harry Potter reference, breaking the Elder Wand at the end of the 8th film has a similar effect on me, as does having no conversational face-off between Harry and Voldemort at the end. The latter is a especially a mistake because those who see the film alone don't get any sort of closure to the central conflict, whereas those who read the amazing conversation in the book do.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Quote:
The "book was better" discussion always give me amusement. How many hours to watch the movie vs reading the story?

THIS x 1,000,000

Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:20 pm
Second Unit Director

I actually prefer the film adaptations over the books, though I still think the books are great. Tolkien's verbosity has a tendency to get away from him, particularly in The Fellowhip of the Ring. I agree that Denethor's death is much better handled in the book, but that transition back into Pelennor Fields is pretty spectacular, and thus saves it somewhat. The Return of the King is still my favorite film of the 21st century and 2nd milennium, particularly as a moviegoing experience. I was thrilled and utterly riveted throughout. IMHO even the greatness of the previous two films didn't adequately prepare for the tour de force the third would be.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:20 pm
Second Unit Director

I am a huge fan of both the Tolkien books as well as the LOTR films -- I own the complete DVD collection of the LOTR films and am watching the films during the holidays as part of the 10th anniversary of the Return of the King. I can easily say that the LOTR trilogy are among my list of top favourite films.

I personally feel that the films have held up remarkably well during the course of time, and I absolutely love all three films (in fact, I view all 3 films as essentially one gigantic film, since all were filmed simultaneously). That being said, I do acknowledge that the Return of the King is marginally better than the other 2, if only because it leaves far more of an emotional impact on me.

Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:01 pm
Director

LOTR is still the only trilogy that gets better with each installment (though that could end up being the case for the "Hobbit" trilogy as well; and I suppose I could also say the "Star Wars" prequels, but I don't want to open that can of worms here :P ).

I bet anything that "King" would've been split into 2 films today. Jackson certainly shot enough footage.

Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:35 pm