Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:48 pm

20th anniversary of Schindler's List - December 15th 
Second Unit Director

Post 20th anniversary of Schindler's List - December 15th
Any fans of the movie Schindler's List? How do you think the movie has held up after 20 years? Do any of you remember seeing the movie in the theater?

Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:39 am
Auteur

Post Re: 20th anniversary of Schindler's List - December 15th
While Schindler's List is a good film, for me it's one of those movies you only want to see once just because of how difficult it is to sit through.

Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:49 am
Director

I was 2 years old when it came out and would have been traumatized if I saw it in theater :) . Not that seeing it for the first time 15 years later was easier, but yeah, one of my absolute favorites. I only watched it twice, because of the reason Vexer mentioned above, but its power hasn't been diminished for me.

Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:18 am
Assistant Director

Great film. Didn't see it in theaters, but was shocked when I did see it. I own it, but I agree with everyone here. It's a tough watch. I think I've only seen it once since buying it, for a total of probably 5-6 times since it came out.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:42 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

My favorite English film of all time, without a doubt (as you can see from the quote below). I bought the BR the moment it was available but haven't gotten around to seeing it yet. As others have mentioned, it is not the easiest film to watch, and the running time is also extremely long. I've been meaning to watch the BR, might do it sometime this month.

Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:07 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Spielberg's best no question. Not my personal favorite of his (that honor would go to both Jaws and Minority Report). But a definite masterpiece. No question. Also one of those fantastic films (like Precious, Million Dollar Baby and several others) that can be difficult to watch. Like the other ones I've watched it multiple times. But I have to be in the right mood. This was one case where the Academy's pick for best of the year was on-target.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:39 pm
Producer

I was 11 when it came out, first seen it aged 16 in history at school. Rewatched this year for first time in a decade

Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:52 pm
Director

Best film of the 90s. I haven't seen it its entirety since then, but sometimes come across it in midstream and its still just as compelling.

Spielberg also did the best film of the 00s in "Minority Report," which I've watched several times.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:19 am
Auteur

Syd Henderson wrote:
Best film of the 90s. I haven't seen it its entirety since then, but sometimes come across it in midstream and its still just as compelling.

Spielberg also did the best film of the 00s in "Minority Report," which I've watched several times.

Minority Report was a bit weaksauce for me(especially the ending, which had a few too many plot holes) and nowhere near the best film of the 00s.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:31 am
Cinematographer

Great movie. Hard to believe that that means that the Seinfeld episode where Jerry and his girlfriend of the episode were busted making out in the theater during Schindler's List also nearly 20 years old.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:11 am
Producer

It's a great, powerful movie. Personally I think Munich is its equal if not even greater. Munich is my #1 for the 00s. List is up there though.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:04 pm
Director

Wow, has it been that long already? I've seen Schindler's List once back in the late 90s. Obviously it's a great movie that does full justice to its subject matter. I'll watch it again at some point even though it is a tough watch (I feel the same way about 12 Years a Slave).

Regarding the best of the 00s, Munich is on mine, as is Minority Report. But my #1 of course, is Memento. Believe it or not, that's the movie that first made me aware of you-know-who, not the Dark Knight films.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:10 pm
Director

Quote:
Do any of you remember seeing the movie in the theater?

I think I saw it in Feb or March of '94(have the ticket stub somewhere)
It took a while to get a wide release and get to my town(probably the longest a Spielberg film had ever taken to go wide, the Oscar noms were likely what got it a wide release - many here rag on the Oscars, but there have been many films over the years that never would have played in many towns, even countries without Oscars noms/wins)
The press leading up to its release wasn't that positive(many thought Spielberg wasn't the right fit, many thought black & white was a bad idea, and no one thought it would make much money. it made almost 100 million, which was a rather shocking number for a black & white film with no stars and very uncommercial subject matter)

I remember how quiet the crowd was walking out, it was one of the most powerful theatrical experiences of my life. I also remember it premiering on Network TV a few years later with no commercial interruptions, which was probably a first.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:28 pm