Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:26 pm

Critic's Top 10 Movies of 2013 
Director

Post Re: Critic's Top 10 Movies of 2013
KWRoss wrote:
Yeah, Man of Steel is a surprising choice there. Must be one of those people who thought Synder's vision betrayed their expectations of what Superman should be. Or something....

They give their reason in the article. Can't say it's well written, but their reason is not that.

Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:43 pm
Producer

KWRoss wrote:
I'm not even sure how to tell if a person's opinion is honest or not when it comes to movies. Maybe you'd have to look at that critic's larger body of work and see if there's any consistency and whether he ever contradicts himself.

You can do that, and you can also examine their reasoning--how much time they spend talking about their personal response to the stuff that's actually in the movie, versus reasoning based on things that are external to the movie and the experience it fosters. This is something we're all guilty of doing at one time or another (see my sig), but some critics are better than others at checking themselves.

Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:52 pm
Producer

A.O. Scott, New York Times

1. Inside Llewyn Davis
2. 12 Years a Slave
3. Blue is the Warmest Color
4. Enough Said
5. A Touch of Sin
6. All is Lost
7. Frances Ha
8. Hannah Arendt
9. Lee Daniels' The Butler
10. American Hustle/The Bling Ring/The Great Gatsby/Pain and Gain/Spring Breakers/The Wolf of All Wall Street (all tied)

Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:39 am
Director

ilovemovies wrote:

1. Inside Llewyn Davis
2. 12 Years a Slave
4. Enough Said
5. A Touch of Sin
6. All is Lost
7. Frances Ha
8. Hannah Arendt
10. American Hustle/The Bling Ring/The Great Gatsby/Pain and Gain/Spring Breakers/The Wolf of All Wall Street (all tied)

Six movies tied!? That's weak sauce.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:53 pm
Director

ilovemovies wrote:

1. Inside Llewyn Davis
2. 12 Years a Slave
4. Enough Said
5. A Touch of Sin
6. All is Lost
7. Frances Ha
8. Hannah Arendt

Pain and Gain!

Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:06 pm
Cinematographer

KWRoss wrote:
It's a cautionary tale and has a lot to say about our culture's obsession with hardcore partying. The way phrases and sentences are repeated constantly has a point. The four girls went on this vacation to escape from boring, repetitive everyday life, but if you think about it, isn't the Franco character's life, which revolves around money, booze, guns, and thuggery, also repetitive? You know what they say about the grass looking greener on the other side.....

Is that really something that's yearning for caution, though? I mean, the partying college culture just seems like a lazy point of entry for social commentary, no? It felt like an out-of-touch artist running low on ideas throwing whatever he could at the screen in an attempt to be profound. The stunt casting of the Disney crew even feels lazy. It isn't like their inclusion furthers what the film is trying to do in any way. It just gives younger people who care about those actresses a perverse reason to see the movie. There's no real bite to whatever it's trying to satirize or comment on.

For Christ's sake, they rob a fucking chicken joint for money to go on spring break! It's not quite the fat black girl in Precious stealing a bucket of chicken, but it's pretty damned close.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:28 pm
Auteur

PeachyPete wrote:
KWRoss wrote:
It's a cautionary tale and has a lot to say about our culture's obsession with hardcore partying. The way phrases and sentences are repeated constantly has a point. The four girls went on this vacation to escape from boring, repetitive everyday life, but if you think about it, isn't the Franco character's life, which revolves around money, booze, guns, and thuggery, also repetitive? You know what they say about the grass looking greener on the other side.....

Is that really something that's yearning for caution, though? I mean, the partying college culture just seems like a lazy point of entry for social commentary, no? It felt like an out-of-touch artist running low on ideas throwing whatever he could at the screen in an attempt to be profound. The stunt casting of the Disney crew even feels lazy. It isn't like their inclusion furthers what the film is trying to do in any way. It just gives younger people who care about those actresses a perverse reason to see the movie. There's no real bite to whatever it's trying to satirize or comment on.

For Christ's sake, they rob a fucking chicken joint for money to go on spring break! It's not quite the fat black girl in Precious stealing a bucket of chicken, but it's pretty damned close.

Didn't really come across as "lazy" to me, and I don't really see how that scene you mentioned was really "offensive".

I will say I did not care for Precious though.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:39 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

Didn't really come across as "lazy" to me, and I don't really see how that scene you mentioned was really "offensive".

I will say I did not care for Precious though.

I didn't call the scene offensive, but at least you know the proper use of quotation marks...oh wait. It's just laughably bad. 4 teenage girls robbing a restaurant for money to go on spring break is about the most blunt, hackneyed way to make the point that they're a part of the culture the movie wants to condemn.

But thanks for your astute counterpoints. Your post really helped me understand your opinion a lot more. It wasn't just you simply stating that you disagreed. It was very valuable and not pointless at all.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:55 pm
Auteur

Sarcasm, so clever! :lol:

Anyways yeah the diner scene may have been a bit over-the-top and I probably would've handled that part differently, but it still didn't bother me to the extent that it did for you.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:57 pm
Director

KWRoss wrote:

It does seem a bit odd. Why not just make a Top 15 in that case? :?

Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:37 pm
Second Unit Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

He tied six movies in order to emphasize a common theme among them.

A.O. Scott wrote:
Six variations on the big theme of our times: “Just look at all my stuff!” It’s capitalism, baby! Grab what (and who) you can, and do whatever feels good. We’re all going to hell (or jail, or Florida) anyway.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:34 am
Profile WWW
Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

When I was putting together my top 10 of 2006 I realized I had enough to do that kind of tie. So I just did a top 16. Which was appropriate as 2006 was a banner year in terms of overall quality films.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:39 am
Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

When I was putting together my top 10 of 2006 I realized I had enough to do that kind of tie. So I just did a top 16. Which was appropriate as 2006 was a banner year in terms of overall quality films.

I might encounter a similar problem this year. Of my current Top 10, Nos. 1-8 are films I feel very strongly about and want to include. But I still have to see AMERICAN HUSTLE, INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS, HER, and THE WOLF OF WALL STREET. I expect two of those to join the fray, but if all four are as good as they say, things could be interesting.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:50 pm
Director

With Weinstein holding Snowpiercer over there in the US, will it be considered this year's release?

Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:06 am
Director

peng wrote:
With Weinstein holding Snowpiercer over there in the US, will it be considered this year's release?

If you go by world premiere date for a film's release year as I do (as does IMDb), then yes. :ugeek:

Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:35 am
Cinematographer

H.I. McDonough wrote:
peng wrote:

If you go by world premiere date for a film's release year as I do (as does IMDb), then yes. :ugeek:

I do that, though. However, it's not eligible for any Pedros. :(

Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:36 pm
Director

Pedro wrote:
I do that, though. However, it's not eligible for any Pedros. :(

Dang, I was eyeing it for director, art direction, ensemble cast, and maybe screenplay.

Too many rules! :)

Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:00 pm
Director

We have their bottom 15. Now here are The AV Club's top 20 of 2013 (from the site's 7 critics voting).

1. Before Midnight
2. 12 Years A Slave
3. Frances Ha
4. Leviathan
5. Computer Chess
6. The Act Of Killing
7. Upstream Color
8. Her
9. Room 237
10. No
11. Blue Is The Warmest Color
12. The Wolf Of Wall Street
13. At Berkeley
14. The Past
15. The World’s End
16. Inside Llewyn Davis
17. Beyond The Hills
18. A Touch Of Sin
19. The Counselor
20. First Cousin Once Removed

Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:50 am
Producer

Quote:
The Counselor qualifies as one of the most radical experiments in recent Hollywood history, driven by a writer, Cormac McCarthy (No Country For Old Men), with zero interest in placating or spoon-feeding viewers.

They could have stopped this sentence at "with zero interest" and arrived at a good explanation for what's most wrong with this movie.

I'd also take issue with their inclusion of Room 237, except that they seem to appreciate the bad criticism for its badness, which is okay, I guess.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:02 am
Director

peng wrote:
We have their bottom 15. Now here are The AV Club's top 20 of 2013 (from the site's 7 critics voting).

1. Before Midnight
2. 12 Years A Slave
3. Frances Ha
4. Leviathan
5. Computer Chess
6. The Act Of Killing
7. Upstream Color
8. Her
9. Room 237
10. No
11. Blue Is The Warmest Color
12. The Wolf Of Wall Street
13. At Berkeley
14. The Past
15. The World’s End
16. Inside Llewyn Davis
17. Beyond The Hills
18. A Touch Of Sin
19. The Counselor
20. First Cousin Once Removed

Not a single action movie to be found :? This looks more like a summer reading list from an English professor.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:18 am