Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:32 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Critic's Top 10 Movies of 2013 
Author Message
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2473
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Critic's Top 10 Movies of 2013
The World's End is an action movie... of sorts

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:21 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Critic's Top 10 Movies of 2013
The World's End is an action-comedy, both of which genres usually get the poo-poo in lists like this one. And I'd put Edgar Wright's chops up against those of just about any other action director whose work you can see in a multiplex today.

Maybe it's not a textbook action movie, but why should a textbook movie get memorialized as one of the year's best? You don't get bonus points just for doing the job you're getting paid to do.

The annoying thing for me is that a lot of these movies aren't even here yet, so I can't comment on them either way even if I'd very much like to. The chains around here are usually pretty good about getting at least a few limited release titles in each week, but I'm waiting until January for Inside Llewyn Davis.

(Yes, non-American members, I am fully aware that you have it much worse. I'll stop bitching... now.)

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:25 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2473
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Critic's Top 10 Movies of 2013
I think Wright would make an excellent action director. He did a good job in Scott Pilgrim (closest thing he's done to superhero anyway), but was slightly let down by the script IMO.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:28 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1717
Post Re: Critic's Top 10 Movies of 2013
I think wright is a strong director but his action truly isn't the most exciting in the world nor does it even aspire to be. It gets the job done but his focus is comedy and always has been.


Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:06 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2473
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Critic's Top 10 Movies of 2013
MGamesCook wrote:
I think wright is a strong director but his action truly isn't the most exciting in the world nor does it even aspire to be. It gets the job done but his focus is comedy and always has been.


I don't know. If you scaled back slightly the final 20 minutes of Hot Fuzz, you'd have some awesome action.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:23 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1717
Post Re: Critic's Top 10 Movies of 2013
NotHughGrant wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
I think wright is a strong director but his action truly isn't the most exciting in the world nor does it even aspire to be. It gets the job done but his focus is comedy and always has been.


I don't know. If you scaled back slightly the final 20 minutes of Hot Fuzz, you'd have some awesome action.


It's pretty awesome and an awesome movie. I too have issues with Scott pilgrims writing. Maybe the word I'm really looking for is spectacle. I don't see wright as a spectacle director. He's still better than almost anyone who does aspire to be a spectacle director though. I see wright as being low key in the best possible way. Ant man should be interesting.


Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:33 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1419
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Critic's Top 10 Movies of 2013
Top 20 of The Dissolve, my favorite review site besides this one. Voted by nine reviewers, although two overlap with the AV Club one.

1. Her
2. 12 Years A Slave
3. Inside Llewyn Davis
4. Frances Ha
5. Upstream Color
6. The Act of Killing
7. Short Term 12
8. All is Lost
9. Gravity
10. Computer Chess
11. The World's End
12. Stories We Tell
13. Nebraska
14. The Wind Rises
15. The Wolf of Wall Street
16. Captain Phillips
17. Before Midnight
18. Blue is the Warmest Color
19. The Past
20. In the House


Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:31 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2473
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Critic's Top 10 Movies of 2013
peng wrote:
Top 20 of The Dissolve, my favorite review site


What you say?

Quote:
besides this one.


Ah, all is forgiven!

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:49 pm
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm
Posts: 724
Post Re: Critic's Top 10 Movies of 2013
The Dissolve rocks my socks consistently. It's a fantastic site even without their reviews. Definitely the best movie related site out there right now, methinks. It's so...extensive!


Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:09 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 424
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: Critic's Top 10 Movies of 2013
PeachyPete wrote:
The Dissolve rocks my socks consistently. It's a fantastic site even without their reviews. Definitely the best movie related site out there right now, methinks. It's so...extensive!

Woah! Thanks for that. Just heard about Dissolve, and already liking it, if only for their beautiful website design.

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1419
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Critic's Top 10 Movies of 2013
Yeah, the staff that makes me read The AV Club in the first place have almost all gone to that site. From their staff I love Tasha Robinson for her animation streak, Noel Murray for his writing, and Mike D'Angelo for being one of the toughest reviewers (in term of recommending a movie) I've read.


Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:48 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jeff Wilder and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr