Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:59 am

Your Christmas Movies 
Cinematographer

Post Re: Your Christmas Movies
I LOVE A Christmas Story and It's A Wonderful Life. I totally understand why those movies are so loved.

Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:58 pm
Producer

PeachyPete wrote:
I LOVE A Christmas Story and It's A Wonderful Life. I totally understand why those movies are so loved.

Generic statement of agreement.

Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:01 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

Generic statement of agreement.

^
Generically agreeing to the generic statement of agreement.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:02 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
I HATE A Christmas Story and It's A Wonderful Life though, never understood why those films are so loved.

Really? You can't understand why little Ralphie Parker is popular; Or the triumph of George Bailey over Mr. Potter is popular...especially when it is Jimmy fucking stewart...

Ohhh, but your favorite Christmas movie is Eks vs. Server...

Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:06 am
Director

Well, let's not forget that Wonderful Life flopped hard in 1946. The popularity of both films has to do with nostalgia. Wonderful Life has its moments but I don't find that much to like in A Chirstmas Story.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:16 am
Director

I watched It's A Wonderful Life for the first time a few years ago having heard about how it's the ultimate feel-good movie (along with the word "Capra-corn"), so I was not prepared for how much James Stewart kept being beaten down in life over and over again. I mean, I was happy for him in the end, but it is still a grimmer experience than I participated.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:21 am
Director

peng wrote:
I watched It's A Wonderful Life for the first time a few years ago having heard about how it's the ultimate feel-good movie (along with the word "Capra-corn"), so I was not prepared for how much James Stewart kept being beaten down in life over and over again. I mean, I was happy for him in the end, but it is still a grimmer experience than I participated.

I actually think Capra is being a little subversive with the quasi-marital abuse scene when Stewart is at his lowest point. Another Christmas Jimmy Stewart movie that's often forgotten is The Shop Around the Corner, one of the best from Lubitsch.

I also enjoy Jingle All the Way.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:33 am
Second Unit Director

peng wrote:

Yeah, that might have something to do with why it flopped when it first came out. I mean, watch it without preconceptions and you can understand why George wants to kill himself (not necessarily agree that it's a good move for him, but just understand why he'd want to). In a way, that's actually good scripting, because it does certainly set up the situation--if it didn't, he'd come across as mentally disturbed or something. But yeah, he did get dealt a pretty bad deal in a lot of ways.

Anyway, as far as Christmas films go, I'm pretty much a traditionalist. I like some of the animated TV Christmas specials from the 60's and 70's (especially the animated version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas) and I'll probably watch some version of A Christmas Carol.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:34 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

I usually go with a triple feature of Dancer in the Dark, Grave of the Fireflies and Once Were Warriors. After watching those three in a row, I realize just how wonderful my like is in comparison.

Happy Holidays!

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:09 am
Director

dps wrote:
Yeah, that might have something to do with why it flopped when it first came out. I mean, watch it without preconceptions and you can understand why George wants to kill himself (not necessarily agree that it's a good move for him, but just understand why he'd want to). In a way, that's actually good scripting, because it does certainly set up the situation--if it didn't, he'd come across as mentally disturbed or something. But yeah, he did get dealt a pretty bad deal in a lot of ways.

Yeah, from the burst-out in front of his family to the bridge scene, I got emotional a bit -- the film really puts us into his head space.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:34 am
Auteur

Sorry Roastbeef, but those films just strike me as overly sentimental and melodramatic.

Honestly i'd rather watch Santa With Muscles then sit through either of those films again :lol:

Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:01 am
Producer

He's not saying you're wrong. He's just saying it seems unlikely that you genuinely can't understand why some people like those movies, even if you're not one of them. There are plenty of movies I don't like, yet I can see the characteristics in them that make them popular with others. I fully recognize why I'm the odd person out in those cases.

It's A Wonderful Life and A Christmas Story are widely liked enough that if you don't see why people like them, maybe you're not paying close enough attention. I can't imagine an observant viewer coming away from either of them and thinking of them as universally dislikable.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:17 am
Cinematographer

I didn't watch the complete It's a Wonderful Life for a very long time. I thought for sure it was going to be far too sappy and sentimental for me to get in to, but I finally watched it a few years ago. Either the actual construction of the character (versus my preconception), or more likely Jimmy Stewart's portrayal of that character overcame those concerns for me and I ended up liking the movie very much.

The very thing that seems to draw most to A Christmas Story turned me off. I understand the appeal of showing family life as somewhat dysfunctional behind closed doors, but was turned off by the overall crudeness of many of the characters. I did find some of the more innocent gags, like the youngest one being incapacitated by his overprotective mother's attempt to keep him warm, to be pretty funny. Overall I didn't laugh or get the overwhelming sense of nostalgia or familiarity that other seem to get. Exaggeration is often one of my favorite forms of comedy, but it just doesn't work for me individually in this movie. Almost everyone I know within my age group thinks it is an all time classic.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:39 am
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:
I actually think Capra is being a little subversive with the quasi-marital abuse scene when Stewart is at his lowest point. Another Christmas Jimmy Stewart movie that's often forgotten is The Shop Around the Corner, one of the best from Lubitsch.

Re: It's A Wonderful Life - I think that's a bit of a stretch, but it's an interesting observation. I can see what you mean, and it's an interesting way to look at the movie.

As for the Lubitsch, The Shop Around the Corner is really good. Oddly, the updated version, the Tom Hanks-Meg Ryan vehicle You've Got Mail, already feels more dated the the Lubitsch version of the story. Not sure I'd consider it a Christmas movie in the traditional sense, but I guess it's a pseudo one. Anything Lubitsch is worth seeing at any time, however.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:10 am
Producer

Vexer wrote:
Sorry Roastbeef, but those films just strike me as overly sentimental and melodramatic.

Honestly i'd rather watch Santa With Muscles then sit through either of those films again :lol:

That may be so. But to be fair to Roastbeef on this one, you set yourself up by, not by personally rejecting them, but by implicitly rejecting them out of hand on behalf of everyone.

Example, like you I don't dig The Lord of the Rings, but can see there is enough to lead others to quite legitimately develop a bit of an obsession.

When you not only reject but slate films like It's a Wonderful Life, you're actually slating some fundamental tropes of film making, and well .... life really.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:29 am
Second Unit Director

A Charlie Brown Christmas FTW!

Honorable mentions: Bad Santa (The ultimate guilty pleasure Christmas movie), It's a Wonderful Life, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Elf, Die Hard (All you who mentioned Die Hard made me very happy. :)

Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:56 pm
Second Unit Director

Does anybody remember Santa Claus The Movie?

That was one of my favorites as a kid! I have a feeling it's one of those that just wouldn't play as well as an adult, so I haven't touched it since... :lol:

Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:10 pm
Cinematographer

Does Die Hard really count as a Christmas movie? Do Christmas movies have to be about Christmas I guess is the real question. It's not like John McClane learns anything about the holiday, or changes his values, or does anything related to the holiday at all. Really, he just writes "ho, ho, ho" on a sweater. If you want to say that a movie that takes place during the holiday season is a Christmas movie then that's fine, I suppose. I just consider a Christmas movie ones that says something about the holiday.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:04 pm
Director

I used to watch many of the standard Christmas titles with my family ("A Christmas Story," "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation," "Scrooge" (the 1970 musical adaptation of A Christmas Carol with Albert Finney in the title role), "A Charlie Brown Christmas," etc.) until I started growing a bit weary of them. I've been trying to make a habit of viewing "Fanny and Alexander" (the full, 5½-hour miniseries version) around the holiday season each year, since a) the first segment is Christmas-themed, and b) it's one of my all-time favorite films. I didn't get around to watching it last year, so hopefully I will this year.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:46 pm
Producer

Taleswapper wrote:
A Charlie Brown Christmas FTW!

Vince Guaraldi's brilliant jazz piano score is just about the only Christmas music I can tolerate.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:16 pm