Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:44 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
November 2013: Time to Re-nut up. Who's with me? 
Author Message
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7490
Location: Easton, MD
Post November 2013: Time to Re-nut up. Who's with me?
Baseball season's over, and I'm back to movie glory. Here's my goal:

    - Twenty new movies.

    - At least five have to be in black and white.

    - At least five have to be foreign language.

    - The B/W and foreign can overlap.

Time to watch some great movies, and challenge myself just a wee bit. I mean, watching Hall Pass is all well and good, but you know how it is, you watch some shitty easy-to-digest movies because they're easier but then you don't see anything great.

So who's ready to nut up with me, boys? 20 is doable! November is a month with time off! Let's gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:46 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: November 2013: Time to Re-nut up. Who's with me?
Can't watch. Doing NaNoWriMo.

Will inform all when novel becomes a bestseller and gets optioned to be the four star movie of its year.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:59 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1429
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: November 2013: Time to Re-nut up. Who's with me?
Definitely doable; the horror genre alone that I watched a bunch last month covered all the bases (well, just barely in the foreign case; lucky I discovered Argento).


Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:09 am
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7490
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: November 2013: Time to Re-nut up. Who's with me?
Ken wrote:
Can't watch. Doing NaNoWriMo.

Will inform all when novel becomes a bestseller and gets optioned to be the four star movie of its year.


Parsing that acronym...Nanook of the North Writes Movies?

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:11 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1103
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: November 2013: Time to Re-nut up. Who's with me?
I was just thinking something similar. 20 sounds good to me. Got one foreign movie in yesterday, and I'll probably watch Pain & Gain today from Netflix. Maybe Ender's Game tomorrow. My work schedule is 11-10 Tues-Fri, so while a three-day weekend every time is awesome, there's not much open time during those other four.

Btw, who's your MLB team? I like the O's and the Cubs, therefore FUCK the World Series matchup we just had. ;)

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:15 am
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7490
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: November 2013: Time to Re-nut up. Who's with me?
KWRoss wrote:
I was just thinking something similar. 20 sounds good to me. Got one foreign movie in yesterday, and I'll probably watch Pain & Gain today from Netflix. Maybe Ender's Game tomorrow. My work schedule is 11-10 Tues-Fri, so while a three-day weekend every time is awesome, there's not much open time during those other four.

Btw, who's your MLB team? I like the O's and the Cubs, therefore FUCK the World Series matchup we just had. ;)


Cardinals :)

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:24 am
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:51 pm
Posts: 503
Post Re: November 2013: Time to Re-nut up. Who's with me?
JamesKunz wrote:
KWRoss wrote:
I was just thinking something similar. 20 sounds good to me. Got one foreign movie in yesterday, and I'll probably watch Pain & Gain today from Netflix. Maybe Ender's Game tomorrow. My work schedule is 11-10 Tues-Fri, so while a three-day weekend every time is awesome, there's not much open time during those other four.

Btw, who's your MLB team? I like the O's and the Cubs, therefore FUCK the World Series matchup we just had. ;)


Cardinals :)

We have another person on the forum who likes baseball? Maybe in thirty years we'll have a thread that rivals the basketball one.

I'm also doing NaNoWriMo, but I'm not writing fiction and in fact it's about movies. So I'm watching a ton of stuff. However, a lot of it is stuff that isn't any good. I'm researching things like Grown-Ups, Battleship, The Last Airbender, etc.

I'll nut up with you James, but with different goals. D:

Unrelated to my book, my girlfriend wants to watch the Back to the Future trilogy today, so there's that. I've never seen any of them! A crime. I should throw The Goonies in there for good measure.

_________________
I no longer have an image here! I got away with it for so long...


Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:25 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:41 pm
Posts: 655
Location: The Desert
Post Re: November 2013: Time to Re-nut up. Who's with me?
Pedro wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
KWRoss wrote:
I was just thinking something similar. 20 sounds good to me. Got one foreign movie in yesterday, and I'll probably watch Pain & Gain today from Netflix. Maybe Ender's Game tomorrow. My work schedule is 11-10 Tues-Fri, so while a three-day weekend every time is awesome, there's not much open time during those other four.

Btw, who's your MLB team? I like the O's and the Cubs, therefore FUCK the World Series matchup we just had. ;)


Cardinals :)

We have another person on the forum who likes baseball? Maybe in thirty years we'll have a thread that rivals the basketball one.


*raises hand* I'm a big Dbacks fan.

I usually average around 15-16 a month, but I can challenge myself to hit 20. Hell, I've already got two down (Ender's Game and 12 Years A Slave). Looking at the 10 films I have checked out from the library and seeing selections from Sirk, Bergman, Mizoguchi, and Jarmusch, among others, variety shouldn't be a problem either.

_________________
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Letterboxd Profile


Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:01 pm
Profile WWW
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7490
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: November 2013: Time to Re-nut up. Who's with me?
Right on, Reelviewers!

Also...Dbacks. That's rough dude

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:08 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:41 pm
Posts: 655
Location: The Desert
Post Re: November 2013: Time to Re-nut up. Who's with me?
JamesKunz wrote:
Also...Dbacks. That's rough dude


It's been a frustrating two years.

_________________
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Letterboxd Profile


Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:37 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:51 pm
Posts: 426
Location: Durham, NC
Post Re: November 2013: Time to Re-nut up. Who's with me?
I'm down like a clown.

_________________
"I have now come to claim that satisfaction."


Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:45 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:29 am
Posts: 363
Location: Watertown, SD
Post Re: November 2013: Time to Re-nut up. Who's with me?
20 movies is definitely doable for me. Variety is what I need to strive for.

_________________
https://twitter.com/Steven_Renner23


Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7490
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: November 2013: Time to Re-nut up. Who's with me?
Steven wrote:
20 movies is definitely doable for me. Variety is what I need to strive for.


Exactly. Hence the 5 B/W and 5 Foreign Language minimum requirement!

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:41 pm
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 634
Post Re: November 2013: Time to Re-nut up. Who's with me?
Too much time needed for family. Will try to reclaim half a nad by doing 5 black and white films though.


Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:40 am
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7490
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: November 2013: Time to Re-nut up. Who's with me?
Movie 1:
Topaz (1969) **
Director: Alfred Hitchcock
Country of Origin: United States
Color or B/W: Color
Length: 143 minutes

Damn! Should have given bonus points for pre-1970 release years and length of 120+. Oh well, that can be for December

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:36 pm
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 634
Post Re: November 2013: Time to Re-nut up. Who's with me?
Number one for me:

House on Haunted Hill(1959) - B/W - first viewing

A little late for Halloween, but has enough cheese to be a good appetizer for Thanksgiving. I was highly entertained and interested throughout. In particular, the interplay between Mr. and Mrs. Loren was a lot of fun and cynical enough to be very representative of an unhappy marriage. Great opening and some pretty good horror for most part, although one scene reminded me of a haunting in a Three Stooges short. 7/10.


Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:48 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1429
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: November 2013: Time to Re-nut up. Who's with me?
Gonna be weird when I include stuff in my language under foreign group (we have so much fewer movies each year anyway).


Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:26 am
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:45 pm
Posts: 435
Post Re: November 2013: Time to Re-nut up. Who's with me?
I'm lucky if I'll manage two thirds of that but there's no harm in trying.

And I don't have a clue about baseball. It's like rounders, isn't it? The bats are well-known over here, but they're not really used for sports, unless you define a sporting activity in the very widest sense of the word.


Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:05 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: November 2013: Time to Re-nut up. Who's with me?
peng wrote:
Gonna be weird when I include stuff in my language under foreign group (we have so much fewer movies each year anyway).

No way, dude. You've been handed an easy out for the foreign language rule and you need to ride that train as far as it goes.

As for me, I'm an American, so I barely speak my first language. I feel as though this would entitle me to a handicap of some sort, if JamesKunz weren't such a cruel and oppressive despot about these things.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:09 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7490
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: November 2013: Time to Re-nut up. Who's with me?
Ken wrote:
peng wrote:
Gonna be weird when I include stuff in my language under foreign group (we have so much fewer movies each year anyway).

No way, dude. You've been handed an easy out for the foreign language rule and you need to ride that train as far as it goes.

As for me, I'm an American, so I barely speak my first language. I feel as though this would entitle me to a handicap of some sort, if JamesKunz weren't such a cruel and oppressive despot about these things.


NO HANDICAP FOR KEN! Also, dude, you speak very well and know it. Humblebrag

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:47 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ilovemovies and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr