Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:32 am

2014 Movie Goals 
Second Unit Director

Post 2014 Movie Goals
My 2014 movie goals
300 movies (which might be a little too ambitious)
At least 40 must be 2014 releases.
At least 20 must be movies I haven't seen from AFI's top 100.

Anybody else?

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Post Re: 2014 Movie Goals
I'll figure it out as I go along, but I've already got this Wonderful Winter of Walken thing going on, and I've also resolved that I will fulfill James's nuttage assignment, albeit for January instead of December. I'm already two theatrical releases in!

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:22 pm
Critic

My annual goals always include

-At least one movie a week
-At least two months of 20 movies
-As many 6+ weeks of movies as possible
-At least one new Hitchcock
-At least one new Allen
-At least one new series a year completed (Star Trek, Superman, etc.)
-At least one Best Picture winner

Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:15 pm
Second Unit Director

I think I will also apply James' December challenge of upping my nuttage to this month because for some reason December got away from me. Not sure it counts for as much nuttage but what the hell. I am also 2 movies in which kind-of pisses me off because both movies are better than the 9 and 10 spot on my 2013 top 10. At least I labelled it "tentative".

Apart from that I just want to watch as many movies as I can. And write about them more often. There are so many highly regarded movies to choose from and each year is an exciting new adventure through films. Looking forward to this year.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:01 am
Producer

Just to see as many movies as possible. Both 2014 movies but also much older movies including many of the "classics" that I have yet to see.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:45 am
Producer

40 new releases, 160 old but unseen and at least 5 new countries explored. Also add three directors to the 10-films-seen list. (Zhang Yimou and Michael Curtiz are on the verge.)

Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:46 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
My annual goals always include

-At least one movie a week
-At least two months of 20 movies
-As many 6+ weeks of movies as possible
-At least one new series a year completed (Star Trek, Superman, etc.)
-At least one Best Picture winner

These are great achievable goals, and I am going to use them as a starting point. (I edited it out to remove some.) Also,

-At least one director's entire filmography, provided it is relatively small. (I tried Scorsese in a very short span of a month in 2013 and got about 60% of the way through. I will complete it and try to watch all of Steven Spielberg.)
-At least one acknowledged classic per month

Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:24 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

I also like the idea of tackling a directors entire filmography. Smaller ones for now. I think this year I will watch all of Paul Thomas Andersons films. I've seen Magnolia, There Will Be Blood, and The Master. I'll probably re-watch them while I go.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:07 pm
Director

Quote:

You should check out this list, if you haven't already http://www.theyshootpictures.com/index.htm
there is a forum dedicated to it: viewforum.php?f=48

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:32 pm
Second Unit Director

calvero wrote:
Quote:

You should check out this list, if you haven't already http://www.theyshootpictures.com/index.htm
there is a forum dedicated to it: viewforum.php?f=48

1000 movies? That's intimidating. I'll start with their top 100 and go from there.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:15 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Gedmud wrote:
I also like the idea of tackling a directors entire filmography. Smaller ones for now. I think this year I will watch all of Paul Thomas Andersons films. I've seen Magnolia, There Will Be Blood, and The Master. I'll probably re-watch them while I go.

I've seen all ten of F. W. Murnau's available features (counting The Haunted Castle as a feature) and the only one I didn't care for was Phantom. He'd be a good one to tackle. I think all his features are available through Netflix except "4 Devils," which is a lost film that would make silent film buffs burst if it's ever found.

I've seen all six of Sam Mendes' non-TV films. Since his next two films are James Bonds, the streak will continue. I prefer "Jarhead" and "Away We Go" to "Revolutionary Road" and "Road to Perdition," but I seem to be in the minority. (Actually I hate "Revolutionary Road" with a passion.)

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:42 pm
Second Unit Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
I prefer "Jarhead" and "Away We Go" to "Revolutionary Road" and "Road to Perdition," but I seem to be in the minority. (Actually I hate "Revolutionary Road" with a passion.)

What is it that you hate about it? I struggle to decide how I really feel. I think there's a lot to admire. I think the two leads are incredible, and that it probably depicts marital difficulties with a lot of legitimacy. However, if that is the case, I think it's a pretty discouraging film. I certainly don't want to watch it again. See the dilemma?

Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:40 pm
Assistant Director

No specific goals, but I would like to...

Overall, watch more films. Back in the late 90's when I got into watching films, I would watch 100-150 new films per year. As real life and work came up, it got down to sometimes less than 20 a year. Last year was particularly good (I saw more than 100 total) so I wish to keep up with that.

Catch up with more classics, ones I haven't seen yet. Just last year, I caught up with some great films that I hadn't seen (Dr. Strangelove, 12 Angry Men, Yojimbo, among others) so I wish to keep up catching up with some of those old classics that for some reason I haven't seen (maybe Lawrence of Arabia? One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest?)

Continue with my goal of watching all of Hitchcock films. Just last year I saw 6 of his films that I hadn't seen before (I've now seen 15 total), so I would like to keep up with that. Of his most popular films, I still haven't seen North by Northwest or Rebecca, so perhaps those.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:24 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Thief12 wrote:

Continue with my goal of watching all of Hitchcock films. Just last year I saw 6 of his films that I hadn't seen before (I've now seen 15 total), so I would like to keep up with that. Of his most popular films, I still haven't seen North by Northwest or Rebecca, so perhaps those.

Wooooooo! Though I've got to warn you: once you get to 30, it's slim pickins'

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:44 pm
Producer

Gedmud wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:
I prefer "Jarhead" and "Away We Go" to "Revolutionary Road" and "Road to Perdition," but I seem to be in the minority. (Actually I hate "Revolutionary Road" with a passion.)

What is it that you hate about it? I struggle to decide how I really feel. I think there's a lot to admire. I think the two leads are incredible, and that it probably depicts marital difficulties with a lot of legitimacy. However, if that is the case, I think it's a pretty discouraging film. I certainly don't want to watch it again. See the dilemma?

A generational disconnect, most likely. The question that always bothered me was, why doesn't she ask for a divorce? It was more of a problem in the 1950s, I admit, but my parents were divorced in the early 60s, only a few years after the film takes place, there were four kids involved, and, despite there being some hardship, we all survived. It's clear by mid-movie the marriage is falling apart, she seems to have ample reason (mental cruelty was acknowledged as a reason), so why stick with something that's like bathing in hot coals?

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:45 pm
Cinematographer

Since I'm finally beholden to the 40-hour work week, I'll keep my goals simple.

I plan on watching at least three films each week that I've never seen before, and I want to write something about all of them. This was the same challenge I set for myself at the start of 2013. I ended up seeing 196 films for the first time, and I wrote something down for every one (with the exception of the final six films of December, which I'll get to here in the next week).

I'm also going to try to watch one film in the Zatoichi series each week. I'm already six in, so I'll be able to finish the series around the start of summer.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
Director

I have one major 2014 movie goal, and it's a big one: return to the Toronto International Film Festival.

The last time I went was 2001 with my mom. I was 17 at the time and had a blast. I saw the world premiere of TRAINING DAY as well as HEARTS IN ATLANTIS, NOVOCAINE, and TAPE. That last movie was particularly fun because I sat two rows behind Ethan Hawke and Richard Linklater! The whole festival just had a fun, relaxed atmosphere, and I will find a way to go back this September. If JB still can't go, then I'll start a thread detailing my experiences.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:45 am
Producer

2014 for me is going to be a sci-fi year.

Please offer me your recommendations.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:03 am
Critic

NotHughGrant wrote:

Pandorum is a pretty neat under the radar scifi from a couple years back

Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:26 am
Second Unit Director

NotHughGrant wrote:

You might've already seen it, and it isn't exactly underrated, but Gattaca is one of my favorite science-fiction films of all time. It always surprised me that a director who brought so much content and depth to this film then went on to make the generic In Time.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:21 am
Profile WWW