Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:30 am

I'm doing this thing 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: I'm doing this thing
Really great thread Peachy. Nice thoughts on The Big Heat --Keep em' coming!

Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:02 am
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
I *so* agree. I came out of A Man Escaped utterly invigorated. I was like "THIS. THIS IS HOW MINIMALISM SHOULD BE USED." And it was with this enthusiasm that I went into Pickpocket, and found it (as you say) dull

Yup. We had the exact same reaction to both movies. I still want to check out more Bresson because A Man Escaped really is something special. Have you seen anything else by him?

Ken wrote:
I don't find Pickpocket dull at all. It's definitely a slow, quiet movie, but the opening scenes are probably the slowest and the quietest. Obviously I can't speak for anybody else, but the effect for me was to calibrate my expectations. Sort of like the razor blade in the eyeball.

Pickpocket is basically a retelling of Dostoyevsky's favorite story type, about the jaded loner who lives in a hovel and engages in random, aberrant acts. I've always been drawn to those kinds of character studies. Pickpocket would probably be my favorite iteration of that story, if Taxi Driver didn't exist. Mishima is basically an other-side-of-the-coin telling of that story--the difference being that the same problems drove the character to excellence rather than aberration, and his aberrant acts were ultimately against himself rather than everyone else.

How do you guys feel about Diary of a Country Priest?

As mentioned, I haven't seen anything else by him, but plan on checking stuff out. Diary of a Country Priest and the donkey movie seem like the next logical steps. Thoughts on either?

As for the jaded loner who hates the world sort of stories, they're something I usually love too. The other movies you mention are both near and dear to my heart. I read a little about Pickpocket beforehand, knew a little about what I was getting into, and was completely prepared for it to be the best (or one of) movie that I saw during this little experiment. Instead, it'll likely be one of the worst (more because of the other movies I'm watching than it being outright bad). It's a genuine bummer. I can't really argue with your stance, I just felt the movie didn't earn its resolution and that the style didn't work with the story. I don't mind slow and quiet at all in a movie, I just didn't think it worked here.

JackBurns wrote:
Really great thread Peachy. Nice thoughts on The Big Heat --Keep em' coming!

Hey, thanks! I will keep them coming. In fact, after I drop a moderate-to-large deuce, I'm going to write the next one!

Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:04 am
Second Unit Director

PeachyPete wrote:
Hey, thanks! I will keep them coming. In fact, after I drop a moderate-to-large deuce, I'm going to write the next one!

Peachy, I think its safe to say that you've broken some kind of record for the world's longest (in terms of time) deuce.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:42 pm
Director

looking forward to more reviews. are they on your blog?

Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:29 am