Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:46 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
December 2013: The Theatrical Up-Nutting 
Director

Post Re: December 2013: The Theatrical Up-Nutting
Quote:
Kinda like Inglorious Basterds -- you're not seeing a master in precise command of his craft, you're seeing a master going balls to the wall.

I don't see the "balls to the walls" description matching up with Basterds unless of course you mean literally. If anything, Basterds is QT playing extremely close to the chest with the most understated visual style of his entire career.

Re: American Hustle. I think for the true power of this movie, one really has to read into the themes a bit. I feel like I need to view it a second time, but what I take away at this point is that every character has aspirations that will always be out of reach. Bradley Cooper's dream of taking down Victor Pellegio is just as delusional as Mayor Renner's starry-eyed vision of how to beef up Atlantic City. The story demonstrates how the dreams of these characters are always just out of reach and the movie is about how in the end, you sometimes have to just content yourself with the little things. So Bale and Adams are happy with one another even though they never become uber-rich. It's really a commentary on American aspiration: highest goals always out of reach.

Last edited by MGamesCook on Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:45 pm
Critic

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
Kinda like Inglorious Basterds -- you're not seeing a master in precise command of his craft, you're seeing a master going balls to the wall.

I don't see the "balls to the walls" description matching up with Basterds unless of course you mean literally. If anything, Basterds is QT playing extremely close to the chest with the most understated visual style of his entire career.

After the opening (amazing) and tightly-controlled sequence, I think IB is completely over the top and completely wonderful.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:47 pm
Director

Quote:
After the opening (amazing) and tightly-controlled sequence, I think IB is completely over the top and completely wonderful

But it's not visually (formalistically) crazy. Its methods of coverage and editing are as textbook as they come.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:57 pm
Director

I got Movie #6 (The Wolf of Wall Street-- ***1/2) out of the way on Christmas Day, but now I'm sick as a dog with the flu. That'll do it for the Theatrical Up-nutting.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:06 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:

Of course, you could say the same of "Django Unchained" (the final act, at least).

Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:15 pm
Critic

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
After the opening (amazing) and tightly-controlled sequence, I think IB is completely over the top and completely wonderful

But it's not visually (formalistically) crazy. Its methods of coverage and editing are as textbook as they come.

I don't think WOWS is visually crazy either.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:40 pm
Director

I was hoping to see American Hustle as my last movie for the challenge, but the mall I went to had the showing really late, so Hobbit instead (thought in the movie thread).

Frozen - 8
Mary is Happy, Mary is Happy - 6.5
Snowpiercer - 9
Blue is the Warmest Color - 9
Captain Phillips - 8.5
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 7.5

Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:13 am
Second Unit Director

Movie #6- American Hustle

I definitely hear the complaints about Russell's focus on characters over plot. But I totally bought into these characters. I loved the performances so much that I hardly cared where the story went. A very well-made film. 3.5/4

Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

So far:

1. Dallas Buyers Club
2. Philomena
3. Out of the Furnace
4. Frozen
5. Nebraska
6. American Hustle
7. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
8. The Wolf of Wall Street

Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:15 am
Director

Steven wrote:
Movie #6- American Hustle

I definitely hear the complaints about Russell's focus on characters over plot. But I totally bought into these characters. I loved the performances so much that I hardly cared where the story went. A very well-made film. 3.5/4

I think Russell deliberately chooses dry material in order to prove that the quality is all on himself and his actors.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:18 am
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
I think Russell deliberately chooses dry material in order to prove that the quality is all on himself and his actors.

I wouldn't go quite call it intentionally dry, but I do think he didn't want plot to get in the way. I mean, given his recent success, he could have done anything he wanted with this film. I don't think he went the route many expected, but I do think it's clearly a group of characters that he cares about. The points about how "everybody hustles" and "no one's ever who they really are" get a bit muddled, but I think he had an enormous amount of intentionallity in choosing the story's setting. I'm eager to see it again to see how it plays that way, but on first viewing I enjoyed it immensely.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:39 am
Assistant Director

Bonus movie

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty 2 3/4 Stars
Based on a short story of James Thuber , Ben Stiller stars and direct Walter Mitty, a daydreamer that circumstances pushes him to go in an incredible real life adventure. Bland narrative with some stunning visuals and special effects (although most are in the trailers) . I was intrigued by the premise which in the trailer looked pretty good but in the full movie lacked of a total good execution.

Attachments:
Walter Mitty.jpg
Walter Mitty.jpg [ 25.04 KiB | Viewed 300 times ]

Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:30 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Did some up-nutting in the last week, but I knew I'd never keep up. You guys are hard core. If you drank like you watched movies, you'd be top contributors in a liver-failure forum. :lol:

Saw Saving Mr. Banks (Also noted this in the reviews thread, but not full post). For those of you who may be fans of Mary Poppins*, this is a based-on-true-story of the final 2 weeks of a 20 year effort by Walt Disney (Tom Hanks) to convince the creator/author, P.L. Travers, (Emma Thompson) of Poppins to allow Disney to bring it to the big screen. Rich in period detail, this movie plays out in 1906 Australia and 1961 California as the backstory and front-story of Travers play out building to a wrenching intersection-scene masterfully cut between a presentation done by Travers’ father (Colin Farrell) and the construction of the song “Fidelity Fiduciary Bank” by the Sherman Brothers (BJ Nowak and Jason Schwartzman) and head screenwriter Don DaGradi (Bradley Whitford). “Mr. Banks” is in peril. While you may think you know what the movie is about, the ‘how it is about it’ is impactful and beautiful. Despite the star-heavy cast, they melt wonderfully into their characters. Even Paul Giamatti, in a non-sad-sack role, brings gentle smiles as Travers’ driver, Ralph. This is not a smarmy, maudlin story about Disney breaking through the cantankerous crust of an elder grump with a heart of gold. It’s about a wish made in a child’s heart that only fiction can make come “true”. Simply wonderful. 4/4

*It’s okay, I didn’t watch/appreciate Mary Poppins until I watched it with small children. I highly recommend seeing MP (1964) with Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews to better appreciate the path of artistic creation that was followed.

In the budget cinema, caught Despicable Me 2. Safe to say, if you enjoyed the first, you'll enjoy this one. For me a 2.5/4 as it was better than average disposable children's fare, but not hugely so. -And certainly not good enough to warrant a longer write-up.
With the kids off school, we hit a double-feature of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 Yeah, okay, I'd seen it before, but a trip to the picture-show is still a trip. Really cute movie. Great writing and very clever. I did find it a bit forgettable however. Sort of like a candy binge. Once it's gone and the high has returned to level you just brush teeth and move on, perhaps with a bit of a headache.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:45 am
Critic

Movie Six: Saving Mr. Banks
Director: John Lee Hancock
Rating: **1/2

I knew going into this movie that I wasn't really going to like it, but it wasn't offensively bad either. It gets too biopic-y at times, but at least Emma Thompson is on hand to keep the schmaltz from getting too schmaltzy. Frankly I think watching this movie only makes sense if you really like Disney/Mary Poppins, and I don't quite make it in. Other than that, it's a solid backstage film married to a mediocre biopic

Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:11 pm
Assistant Director

Bonus 2

Frozen 3 Stars
The songs are not as memorable as in The Beauty and the Beast or The Little Siren but Frozen is back on old fashion form for Disney animation. I loved this Siblings love tale narrated with Disney magic

Attachments:
Frozen.jpg
Frozen.jpg [ 21.58 KiB | Viewed 197 times ]

Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:58 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:

I knew going into this movie that I wasn't really going to like it, but it wasn't offensively bad either. It gets too biopic-y at times, but at least Emma Thompson is on hand to keep the schmaltz from getting too schmaltzy. Frankly I think watching this movie only makes sense if you really like Disney/Mary Poppins, and I don't quite make it in. Other than that, it's a solid backstage film married to a mediocre biopic

No whimsy?

Have you lost your whimsy?

Maybe the Dingo ate your whimsy.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:24 am
Critic

Awf Hand wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

No whimsy?

Have you lost your whimsy?

Maybe the Dingo ate your whimsy.

:lol: :lol:

I'm not much for whimsy

Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:45 am
Producer

Only got five: Frozen, Hobbit deux, The Wolf of Wall Street, Saving Mr. Banks and American Hustle. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty has to wait till tomorrow or this weekend.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:43 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6