Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:56 pm

Is it easier to emotionally detach yourself from some films? 
Second Unit Director

Post Is it easier to emotionally detach yourself from some films?
Sorry for the title, couldn't come up with a better one in few words.

I am talking about being able to emotionally investing yourself and/or being able step back and reason about the characters and their behaviour in some films. After all, that is what character-centric dramas are all about.

As an example, I find it difficult to watch certain Indian films about certain subjects (poverty, child abuse etc.) because this is what I see happening every day around me. I still haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire, which has gotten raves in this forum, for exactly that reason. But I can watch foreign films on the same subjects with no issues.

Topics such as arranged marriage, love, virginity were extremely taboo in India until the 90s, and in some cases still are. And although I am a product of the Westernization of our country, I still find it difficult to watch certain films where traditional Indian values are thrown out of the window. I actively avoid these films, though I find myself having no issues watching Middle-Eastern films such as Kuma where similar values are disregarded.

Basically what I am trying to say is when the subject matter of a film hits too close to home, I find myself unable to watch those films, as irrational as that sounds.

Has this been the case for some of you guys?

Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:39 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Post Re: Is it easier to emotionally detach yourself from some films?
I tend to turn off movies (or stop reading books, etc.) involving violence against animals. Doesn't matter if it's real, simulated, motivated by the plot, or whatever. I started reading The Dead Zone by Stephen King and got as far as the dog killing near the beginning before I gave it up and decided to just watch the movie (no dog killing) instead.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:29 am
Director

Nothing is sacred for me; it all depends on my degree of interest in the premise/subject matter as whether or not I will see it. I will say, though, that Gene Hackman's character being murdered in "Eureka" was probably the most difficult thing to watch for me in my adult life.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:32 am
Director

Not really the subject; depends on the tone of the material. For example, early on in the going of The Impossible, I have a momentary thought of "We've lived through this; I've met people who survived this with a shocked expression forever etched on their faces; why am I watching this?" Still, the skill of the craft and the ultimate message/tone of the movie become the reason and I was really glad I'd watched it.

On the other hand, if, say, Lars von Trier decided to make a movie on the topic of Tsunami, there is probably nothing that will convince me to see it.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:32 pm
Auteur

Ken wrote:
I tend to turn off movies (or stop reading books, etc.) involving violence against animals. Doesn't matter if it's real, simulated, motivated by the plot, or whatever. I started reading The Dead Zone by Stephen King and got as far as the dog killing near the beginning before I gave it up and decided to just watch the movie (no dog killing) instead.

I can handle animal violence just fine(I sat through both Cannibal Holocaust and Cannibal Ferox without squirming once) but films with violent and drawn-out rape scenes(I.E. Irreversible) are very hard for me to watch, a lot of the time I end up fast-forwarding through those scenes(especially in the original I Spit On Your Grave, thankfully the scenes weren't nearly as drawn out in the remake).

Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:56 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:
Ken wrote:

I can handle animal violence just fine(I sat through both Cannibal Holocaust and Cannibal Ferox without squirming once) but films with violent and drawn-out rape scenes(I.E. Irreversible) are very hard for me to watch, a lot of the time I end up fast-forwarding through those scenes(especially in the original I Spit On Your Grave, thankfully the scenes weren't nearly as drawn out in the remake).

The dog-killing scene is important, because it establishes the personality flaw that makes that person a villain (disproportional rage), but I agree, it's a scene that eats into you.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:04 pm