Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:29 pm

Get Ken on the horn...it's time to watch every Superman 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Get Ken on the horn...it's time to watch every Superman
JamesKunz wrote:
Superman Returns (2006) **1/2

A strange movie, born just before Hollywood took the idea of "reboots" and ran with them. Today there's no way a sequel would be made to a popular franchise 20 years later -- it would be rebooted with a new chronology. Hell, Spider-Man did that like 4 years after the last film in the old trilogy. ... It fits easily after I/II and before III/IV

Well it did serve as a sequel to II and not IV, so at the time I thought it was kind of a sequel-reboot like Halloween: H20. Your theory that you could slot it before III has issues though: I don't remember Superman's son, Lois' husband, or any of the other developments from Superman Returns being mentioned in III and IV, but I don't remember much from either of those films nor want to revisit them because they, you know, sucked.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:22 pm
Auteur

Gwaihir wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

A strange movie, born just before Hollywood took the idea of "reboots" and ran with them. Today there's no way a sequel would be made to a popular franchise 20 years later -- it would be rebooted with a new chronology. Hell, Spider-Man did that like 4 years after the last film in the old trilogy. ... It fits easily after I/II and before III/IV

Well it did serve as a sequel to II and not IV, so at the time I thought it was kind of a sequel-reboot like Halloween: H20. Your theory that you could slot it before III has issues though: I don't remember Superman's son, Lois' husband, or any of the other developments from Superman Returns being mentioned in III and IV, but I don't remember much from either of those films nor want to revisit them because they, you know, sucked.

I personally thought they were both better then Returns.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:38 pm
Producer

Returns is an odd one. Looking back, there's an obvious issue at work--like the old movies, there's the romantic half of the storyline and the adventure half of the storyline, but unlike the old movies, the two halves are tonally different. Some movies can be that way and make it work. Returns doesn't pull it off. There's a streak of melancholy in it that comes off well as a third act to the first two Reeve movies (characters fall in love, characters lose each other, characters deal with loss), but then it's shoveled in there with a less classical, more contemporary superhero plot with a Luciferian villain and a technological gimmick, which might have worked better if it had been in a different movie.

There's also another issue that might stray from criticism of the movie itself, but there was originally intended to be an opening scene that showed Superman's journey to Krypton and his search for signs of survivors there. I can't help thinking that it would have enhanced the smarter, more emotionally driven tones of the movie. Change the opening scene of a movie and you change the whole movie. I'm not sure cutting this scene changed Superman Returns for the better.

It does have a lot going for it, particularly in terms of its visual style, which is colorful and alive, but not the kind of noisy in-your-face foofaraw that you get with a lot of contemporary adventure movies, including Man of Steel. I appreciated the filmmakers' attempts to bring back certain elements of pre-blockbuster adventure movies, which were in some ways more earnest and had bigger, bolder ideas. You're never going to see a big studio movie like this again.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:54 pm
Producer

Ken, you and I are like the Superman and Bond of the forum.

Not literally, just that we're both heavily invested in the depictions

Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:27 pm
Producer

Although you're such a fucking awesome writer you could be Supermotherfuckinman

Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:28 pm
Director

My favorite Superman film, although the fact that it's the first Superman story I experienced, what ever the medium, probably helps a bit. Even so, I still remember my thought at the time how soothing and majestic the film feels, unlike most blockbusters that I'd seen so far.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:22 pm
Critic

Gwaihir wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

I didn't mean to be misleading -- my comment of "So while it had flaws, it wasn't a bad movie really. It fits easily after I/II and before III/IV" referred ultimately to its quality, not its chronology.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:12 pm
Producer

I love Superman Returns. I think the action scenes in it are so much better than most of the action scenes in Man of Steel which was just too frantic, too in your face, too over the top for my liking.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:31 pm
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
I love Superman Returns. I think the action scenes in it are so much better than most of the action scenes in Man of Steel which was just too frantic, too in your face, too over the top for my liking.

I found Superman Returns rather boring action-wise, it felt like Singer was an autopilot with the directing, there wasn't one single scene that stood out. I question why Singer passed on X-Men 3 to do this film instead.

Another problem with Returns is that it's way too damn long for it's own good, it should've been 30 minutes shorter at least. I was also unimpressed with Spacey's Luthor, he just didn't strike me as the least bit interesting.

Man Of Steel was far superior for me, the action-scene were much more-exciting, tense and gripping, I loved how frantic and over-the-top they were.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:56 pm
Producer

I like some coherency with my fight scenes. I actually like to see the people getting hit. Not a clusterfuck of CGI. The fight scenes consist of one cgi being thrown by across building after building after building. There is zero tension in this and gets so damn repetitive. That said, most of that is in the third act of the movie. There are some good stuff in the beginning. Especially the scenes set on Krypton. The krypton scenes are fantastic.

Also even though Henry Cavill is quite good in the movie, he's still completely blown away by Russell Crowe, who just commands the screen's attention in a way that Cavill simply can't.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:08 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
I like some coherency with my fight scenes. I actually like to see the people getting hit. Not a clusterfuck of CGI. The fight scenes consist of one cgi being thrown by across building after building after building. There is zero tension in this and gets so damn repetitive. That said, most of that is in the third act of the movie. There are some good stuff in the beginning. Especially the scenes set on Krypton. The krypton scenes are fantastic.

Also even though Henry Cavill is quite good in the movie, he's still completely blown away by Russell Crowe, who just commands the screen's attention in a way that Cavill simply can't.

I thought there was plenty of coherency in fight scenes in Man Of Steel, and the CGI there was a lot better then it was in Returns, which like Kunz said stood out as incredibly dated even during the year the film was released. I like some imagination in my fight scenes and there was zero in Returns IMO, the action scenes in that film were so bland and uninspired it felt like the filmmakers weren't even trying to get people's attention.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:15 am
Director

ilovemovies wrote:

I disagree, I think Returns was trying to be too retro and its idea of how to do spectacle was antiquated. Basically it was just the crack and crunch of very large buildings being in danger of damage. Other than that it was just Superman catching and lifting things. Basically, Superman Returns is the oil rig scene in Man of Steel if that scene were the entire movie.

Man of Steel provides Superman with the action scenes I've always wanted to see. I love the in your face, over the top nature of it. Snyder shoots for deliriousness, which is what I like to see in an action film. Sure, it's gratingly loud and I had to play around a bit with my speakers before the bluray audio was even tolerable, but I find it ultimately rewarding and elating.

Quote:
I like some coherency with my fight scenes.

Well, I like some balls to the walls insanity with mine. Even so, I'm able to follow the action in Steel just fine. Seems coherent enough. In any case, we're in complete agreement about Krypton: awesome. I think it's clear that the action scenes in the last third are Snyder needing to outdo the Krypton stuff.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:21 am
Critic

Intriguing. I'll certainly chime in on my Man of Steel thoughts sooner rather than later

Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:52 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
I question why Singer passed on X-Men 3 to do this film instead.

Because it's Superman, I imagine. That's kind of a really big deal to some people.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
I didn't mean to be misleading -- my comment of "So while it had flaws, it wasn't a bad movie really. It fits easily after I/II and before III/IV" referred ultimately to its quality, not its chronology.

Gotcha. And I agree.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:07 pm
Critic

Man of Steel (2013) **1/2

With the Oscars just having wrapped, I'm surprised this one didn't win any trophies for Most Sound or Best Supporting Stabler. Just kidding. I had decidedly mixed feelings about Snyder's vision here. I liked the Krypton scenes that began the movie a lot. I liked how they started in medias res, with no opening crawl telling us anything about their civilization or war or anything. We get in as their civilization is at the point of collapse, and that was pretty cool. Plus Russell Crowe was very good and the the production design was excellent.

However, that was probably the highlight of the movie. Other than the Krypton scenes, the terrific score, and a few moments scattered here and there ("a good death is indeed its own reward") there wasn't much going for the film. Michael Shannon, who I typically love, was way, way over the top. Cavill was fine, but the role didn't require him to be Clark Kent, only Superman, and that made his character less interesting. I see peoples' problems with the orgy of destruction at the end, and I think the movie could also have used some trimming. So a mixed bag, but not a terrific movie.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:55 am
Producer

I wasn't sure where else to put this, because... shit. Just watch it. One of the funniest recut scenes I've ever seen.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:58 pm
Cinematographer

HaHa that was a April Fool's day video to tease Batman/Superman/WW. Hilarious!

Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:10 pm
Profile WWW