Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:24 am

Paying Full Freight 
Director

Post Re: Paying Full Freight
Well the saying that "this should have been seen on the big screen" exist long before Imax, I think. From Gone With the Winds all the way to Lawrence of Arabia, there are some already very good to great movies, that nevertheless will have a heightened epic effect of when seen on something bigger than TV. Imax for me is just some extension of that thought. Not at all like 3D.

Hoping not to sound like a bitch, I still think the best moment anyone has utilized Imax to maximum effect is Brad Bird in the Dubai sequence in MI4. I'm not afraid of height, but my sister is, and she audibly gasped when Tom Cruise first looked down the window that building in that movie. At home it's still a splendid, tense-as-hell sequence, but the experience of watching this in theater is great.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:34 am
Producer

Vexer wrote:
Marcus does err more on the expensive side(though afternoon showings are reasonably priced, and I have a Magical Movie Rewards card, so that helps) and more often then not I prefer to go to my local Cinemark theatre which is both cheaper and slightly closer to wher I live, though Marcus has more screens and more showtimes for certain films, so I choose whichever theater has the most convenient showing. I never buy anything at the concession stand though, not really worth the price.

I've never been to an IMAX theater and probably never will since the format does not look appealing to me and because the closest one it at least 20 miles away.

My local Marcus is getting a new Ultrascreen this month for some showings, anyone tried one of those out yet?

The format's rather nice, actually, but a lot of times the film is also 3-D, which can be overwhelming. It took me a while to recover from "Gravity."

I normally go to matinees and pay $7.00 - 7:50. 3-D is , if I remember, $3.00. There's a surcharge for the IMAX, which I think is another $3.00, but that may have been just for "Gravity." I don't remember paying that much for "The Hobbit."

I regret not seeing "Ender's Game" on the IMAX. It's not 3-D and would have looked great.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:40 pm
Auteur

Syd Henderson wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Marcus does err more on the expensive side(though afternoon showings are reasonably priced, and I have a Magical Movie Rewards card, so that helps) and more often then not I prefer to go to my local Cinemark theatre which is both cheaper and slightly closer to wher I live, though Marcus has more screens and more showtimes for certain films, so I choose whichever theater has the most convenient showing. I never buy anything at the concession stand though, not really worth the price.

I've never been to an IMAX theater and probably never will since the format does not look appealing to me and because the closest one it at least 20 miles away.

My local Marcus is getting a new Ultrascreen this month for some showings, anyone tried one of those out yet?

The format's rather nice, actually, but a lot of times the film is also 3-D, which can be overwhelming. It took me a while to recover from "Gravity."

I normally go to matinees and pay $7.00 - 7:50. 3-D is , if I remember, $3.00. There's a surcharge for the IMAX, which I think is another $3.00, but that may have been just for "Gravity." I don't remember paying that much for "The Hobbit."

I regret not seeing "Ender's Game" on the IMAX. It's not 3-D and would have looked great.
I've seen a few movies in 3-D-My Bloody Valentine, Drive Angry, Dredd, Resident Evil Afterlife and Retribution and Darkest Hour, of those the only one that dissapointed was Darkest Hour, because it barely had any 3-D at all despite being filmed that way.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:41 pm
Producer

There are very few movies that are actually enhanced by 3D. Life of Pi, Avatar and Gravity are three of them.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:08 pm
Second Unit Director

Here in South Dakota its $8.00 for an evening showing. 3D has a $2.25 surcharge. Being a theater employee though, the charge for me is absolutely nothing. :D

Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:31 am
Profile WWW